PDA

View Full Version : Granite place in Oklahoma City?

MamaMia
4/15/2007, 03:34 PM
Does anybody know where I can get more bang for my buck on some granite for kitchen counter tops and a back splash?

royalfan5
4/15/2007, 03:36 PM
What, you're too good for Formica?;)

MamaMia
4/15/2007, 03:40 PM
What, you're too good for Formica?;)Whats that? :O

Oh... and does anyone know the difference between honed, flamed and polished?

sanantoniosooner
4/15/2007, 03:44 PM
Check Home Depot and Lowes. They actually sub out all their work, but sometimes they have sales that make it worthwhile. And check into quartz/silestone or similar while you are at it.

http://www.silestoneusa.com/

Fraggle145
4/15/2007, 03:46 PM
no, but I know where you can get some good wood moldings. http://www.ssmoldings.com/ssmoldings/index.aspx

sanantoniosooner
4/15/2007, 03:47 PM
no, but I know where you can get some good wood moldings. http://www.ssmoldings.com/ssmoldings/index.aspx
While you are at it, there are some good tire shops in town too :D

Fraggle145
4/15/2007, 03:49 PM
Well you could need some new moldings if you are putting in new counters...

MamaMia
4/15/2007, 03:51 PM
Check Home Depot and Lowes. They actually sub out all their work, but sometimes they have sales that make it worthwhile. And check into quartz/silestone or similar while you are at it.

http://www.silestoneusa.com/
Whats your personal opinion on the silestone and quartz as compared to granite?

sanantoniosooner
4/15/2007, 03:55 PM
Whats your personal opinion on the silestone and quartz as compared to granite?
Granite is a natural product and CAN have weak veins in it. It should be sealed occasionally with the right products

Silestone is a processed quartz and it is more consistent in the strength and shading. It doesn't require any sealing ever either. I'm sure the site has their spin on why they are "better"

Newbomb Turk
4/15/2007, 03:56 PM
Mama - a coworker recommended a place, but I have it written down at work. I'll try to find it tomorrow.

BajaOklahoma
4/15/2007, 04:01 PM
Granite is very porous. It will eventually show stains unless you are very careful.

I have good old Corian. When the kids used the electric skillet over what turned out to be a seam, it cracked. For a hundred bucks, two guys came out and fixed it. You can't see the seam again. You can sand out stains if you can't remove them with soft scrub.

I'm not using granite in the next house.

sanantoniosooner
4/15/2007, 04:01 PM
http://www.agmgranite.com/default.asp?fcontent=locations
This place is well respected in San Antonio and they have an OKC location also.

I'm sure they could give you a list of contractors if you are inclined to go with granite.

sanantoniosooner
4/15/2007, 04:03 PM
Granite is very porous. It will eventually show stains unless you are very careful.

I have good old Corian. When the kids used the electric skillet over what turned out to be a seam, it cracked. For a hundred bucks, two guys came out and fixed it. You can't see the seam again. You can sand out stains if you can't remove them with soft scrub.

I'm not using granite in the next house.
Corian is good stuff. It has some advantages and disadvantages as compared to Silestone.

sanantoniosooner
4/15/2007, 04:06 PM
I'm going to do my counters in this

http://www.agmgranite.com/default.asp?fcontent=samples&fcolor=productcolorblack&shownumber=Impala%20Black#45

I'll be using tiles because I'm not set up to work the slabs, but I can to what I need with the tile.

MamaMia
4/15/2007, 04:24 PM
We have Corian on all the counter tops in the clinic and even though it got some chemical stains and a crack, which cost us a fortune to have fixed, we still like it. A lot can happen to a counter top at a dental clinic and its done very well considering. I would just like something different in my home than we have at work.

I just read a bunch of information on a site that compares all of the different kinds of counter tops and I think I'll still go with the granite. Apparently it only has to be sealed every 10 years and thats a simple matter of wiping the sealer on and off and I think it will go well with my Tuscan decor. I'll just make sure I get quality grade.

Lowe's and Home Depot are even closer than Oklahoma City. Sometimes I forget that Enid is only an hour and a half away. Do they have a wide selection of colors?

sanantoniosooner
4/15/2007, 04:57 PM
Lowe's and Home Depot are even closer than Oklahoma City. Sometimes I forget that Enid is only an hour and a half away. Do they have a wide selection of colors?
They don't stock it so it doesn't matter. Anything you want will take some time to get. Granite colors are pretty standard between companies since it's a naturally harvested product.

And your counters will have to be checked for level. Granite can break if a high point creates enough stress. They prefer that you do it or pay someone else to do it.

MamaMia
4/15/2007, 05:06 PM
They don't stock it so it doesn't matter. Anything you want will take some time to get. Granite colors are pretty standard between companies since it's a naturally harvested product.

And your counters will have to be checked for level. Granite can break if a high point creates enough stress. They prefer that you do it or pay someone else to do it.Well I'm not going to buy anything I cant look at. I have samples of my woodwork and things I need to coordinate it with.

They don't have people to install what they sell? Their commercial says they do.

MamaMia
4/15/2007, 05:27 PM
I just called Lowe's. They do have samples of all their granite but they aren't an option. The granite at the place in the city I called is going for about 39.00 a sq. ft. installed. Lowe's want 64.00 a sq. ft. They both charge mileage.

sanantoniosooner
4/15/2007, 06:09 PM
Stocking Slabs and carrying samples is two different things as you found out.

The have some displays with a lot of variety.

Like I said, check to see if either have a sale. Home Depot also. Otherwise you are better off elsewhere. But even then, the samples will be worth looking at since they are pretty much the same everywhere.

MamaMia
4/15/2007, 07:08 PM
. But even then, the samples will be worth looking at since they are pretty much the same everywhere.I've narrowed it down to 18. :)

TopDaugIn2000
4/15/2007, 08:36 PM
I"m gonna put in concrete countertops

sanantoniosooner
4/15/2007, 08:52 PM
I"m gonna put in concrete countertops
I've heard they stain easily.

Petro-Sooner
4/16/2007, 10:20 AM
Granite is a natural product and CAN have weak veins in it. It should be sealed occasionally with the right products

Silestone is a processed quartz and it is more consistent in the strength and shading. It doesn't require any sealing ever either. I'm sure the site has their spin on why they are "better"

Does Silestone have other minerals in it or is it all Qtz? In other words do the makers of thissilestone try to make it look like granite?

frankensooner
4/16/2007, 10:43 AM
We used AG&M for a lot of our stuff. We don't have a designer or contractor so the didn't want to sell to us, but they finally did. We bought stuff at Emser too, but they got too nit-pickey and finally made us go through a local dealer even though they sold to us many times before.

sanantoniosooner
4/16/2007, 10:57 AM
Does Silestone have other minerals in it or is it all Qtz? In other words do the makers of thissilestone try to make it look like granite?
It is processed and does have a granite like appearance. My understanding, and I use that term loosely, is that the quartz is mixed with some other product.

Jimminy Crimson
4/16/2007, 02:07 PM
I'm going to be going with soapstone counters in my new house.

Turd_Ferguson
4/16/2007, 02:29 PM
A lot of the homebuilders use Mainus (http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=granite&near=Newcastle,+OK+73065&radius=0.0&latlng=35247222,-97599444,9782655941546470860&sa=X&oi=local&ct=authority&cd=1) down in Newcastle.

Newbomb Turk
4/16/2007, 07:55 PM
Mama - the place I was think of is Granite Transformations. They basically put thin granite over your existing countertop. Probably not what you want, but here's a link anyway.

http://www.granitetransformations.com/

MamaMia
4/16/2007, 07:58 PM
I'm going to be going with soapstone counters in my new house.How come?