royalfan5
4/15/2007, 01:03 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2837735

SicEmBaylor
4/15/2007, 01:05 PM
I liked Spurrier until now.

tommieharris91
4/15/2007, 02:05 PM
I'm guessing he's losing recruits over this...

Fraggle145
4/15/2007, 02:15 PM
I doubt it... It may turn out to be a positive in the eyes of a black recruit (or a white one for that matter)...

sanantoniosooner
4/15/2007, 02:23 PM
I doubt it... It may turn out to be a positive in the eyes of a black recruit (or a white one for that matter)...
I think he meant that he was currently losing recruits that he wouldn't lose out on if the flag wasn't there.

You are both suggesting the same thing.

Fraggle145
4/15/2007, 02:25 PM
I think he meant that he was currently losing recruits that he wouldn't lose out on if the flag wasn't there.

You are both suggesting the same thing.

Ah, gotcha.

sooneron
4/15/2007, 03:35 PM
Why do people hold onto a symbol of a failed idea so strongly? You lost, get over it.

I need Homey to verify the actual length of the Confed. What was it? 4 years? Let it fugging go, losers.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/15/2007, 04:36 PM
Spurrier had a very good, if not great recruiting class this season. Keep the conf. flag. He doesn't need to do any better in recruiting, already.

sanantoniosooner
4/15/2007, 04:59 PM
Spurrier had a very good, if not great recruiting class this season. Keep the conf. flag. He doesn't need to do any better in recruiting, already.
maybe it's more than just a recruiting issue with him.

85Sooner
4/15/2007, 05:29 PM
Am I wrong or was the flag of the confederate states the flag of the people that wanted states rights (as in the BILL OF RIGHTS) and not to be infringed upon by the federal government? If so whats so wrong with that?

Just because alot of people wrongly tie it to slavery and only slavery seems to show a bit of ignorance.

royalfan5
4/15/2007, 05:32 PM
Am I wrong or was the flag of the confederate states the flag of the people that wanted states rights (as in the BILL OF RIGHTS) and not to be infringed upon by the federal government? If so whats so wrong with that?

Just because alot of people wrongly tie it to slavery and only slavery seems to show a bit of ignorance.
And the fact that SC only started it flying over the statehouse in the 1960's have a lot to do with it. It's not that time honored of a tradition.

85Sooner
4/15/2007, 05:46 PM
And the fact that SC only started it flying over the statehouse in the 1960's have a lot to do with it. It's not that time honored of a tradition.

I see

tommieharris91
4/15/2007, 05:55 PM

It's not the federal government telling the state of South Carolina to take down the flag. It's other people. People have a right to state what they believe, just like organizations have a right to make statements. It's not the federal government infringing on anything.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/15/2007, 05:56 PM
maybe it's more than just a recruiting issue with him.I was joking, of course. I don't have a clue, but I would bet he doesn't want the presence of the conf. flag to be any kind of an issue.

85Sooner
4/15/2007, 05:57 PM
It's not the federal government telling the state of South Carolina to take down the flag. It's other people. People have a right to state what they believe, just like organizations have a right to make statements. It's not the federal government infringing on anything.

I am referring to the civil war. remember?

SoonerGirl06
4/15/2007, 07:46 PM
I was joking, of course. I don't have a clue, but I would bet he doesn't want the presence of the conf. flag to be any kind of an issue.

It's only an issue if you make it one.

TopDawg
4/15/2007, 10:34 PM

But the state right they were fighting for was the right to be a slave state.

The Crittenden Compromise was one of several last-ditch efforts to resolve the secession crisis of 1860-61 by political negotiation. Authored by Kentucky Senator John Crittenden (whose two sons would become generals on opposite sides of the Civil War) it was an attempt to resolve the crisis by addressing the concerns that led the states of the Lower South to contemplate secession. As such, it gives a window into what the politicians of the day thought the cause of the crisis to be.

The Compromise, as offered on December 18, 1860, consisted of a preamble, six (proposed) constitutional amendments, and four (proposed) Congressional resolutions.

Each of the 6 articles mentions (if not focuses on) slavery. It doesn't seem like too big a jump to put slavery near the top of the list of confederate causes.

Fraggle145
4/16/2007, 12:42 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flags_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America

I think it is funny because there are like 8 different confederate flags... They could do it more tastefully like Georgia did.

SoonerTerry
4/16/2007, 05:30 AM
Interesting link fraggle

picasso
4/16/2007, 09:59 AM
http://image.listen.com/img/356x237/3/2/7/9/729723_356x237.jpg

CUinNC
4/16/2007, 11:19 AM
Spurrier is the SUK....:P

85Sooner
4/16/2007, 11:24 AM
But the state right they were fighting for was the right to be a slave state.

Each of the 6 articles mentions (if not focuses on) slavery. It doesn't seem like too big a jump to put slavery near the top of the list of confederate causes.

Nevertheless the point was over the states being able to determine their own destiny rather than having it dictated to them by a federal government. It was and has been a slippery slope on which we have been sliding for amost 150 years. (see education, welfare etc....).

TopDawg
4/16/2007, 02:14 PM
Nevertheless the point was over the states being able to determine their own destiny rather than having it dictated to them by a federal government. It was and has been a slippery slope on which we have been sliding for amost 150 years. (see education, welfare etc....).

Yeah, but my point is that it doesn't seem "ignorant" to associate the confederate flag with slavery when slavery was the state's right that they were so passionate about.

I doubt they would've gone to war over education.

Fraggle145
4/16/2007, 02:15 PM
Yeah, but my point is that it doesn't seem "ignorant" to associate the confederate flag with slavery when slavery was the state's right that they were so passionate about.

Actually it had quite a bit to do with tariffs and shipping as well...

bri
4/16/2007, 02:30 PM
I liked Spurrier until now.

I'm sure he's absolutely crestfallen.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/16/2007, 03:20 PM

The War of Northern Aggression, was just that. The North was trying to dictate to the Southern states how they should go about their economy. The South being very States rights didn't appreciate being dictated too, too much.

Granted, much of the southern economy was based on slavery. I am not sure how hard the North was looking at compromises as a way to transition to other forms of agriculture schemes before outlawing slavery. Northern style of agriculture (small family farms) would not work on the large plantations. I don't know if share cropping was considered or even given the time to work by the Northern legislature.

Tear Down This Wall
4/16/2007, 03:22 PM
Here's what I don't understand about people who defend the Confederate Flag - it was a flag of rebellion against the United States. You may as well fly the old Soviet Hammer and Sickle.

I hate to keep breaking in the 140+ year old news flash - but, the f'n civil war is over. The South, who rebelled against the U.S., lost. Get the f over it already.

For the record, I'm white and a Reagan Republican. The flag thing is stupid.

Let me just say this to people living in Texas as well - If you defend the flying of the Confederate Flag, the symbol of a defeated "country", then you should also have no problem with the Mexican flag flying in Texas, as Mexico was also defeated by the U.S.

Pudwhacking dillholes.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/16/2007, 03:26 PM
So tell me, how do you really feel? ;)

BTW, not a comment on your opinion.

jk the sooner fan
4/16/2007, 03:40 PM
gosh i want to give pos spek to tear down this wall for that.......but that generally goes against my rules ;)

TopDawg
4/16/2007, 03:48 PM
Actually it had quite a bit to do with tariffs and shipping as well...

Well, alls I know is that the Crittendon Compromise had a whole lot to do with slavery. I don't doubt that there were other factors as well, but the right to own slaves played a very prominent role in the whole ordeal. It's easy for me to see why people still associate the confederate flag with slavery.

But maybe Spurrier is just for a strong federal government.

TopDawg
4/16/2007, 03:49 PM
Plus, what TDTW said.

royalfan5
4/16/2007, 04:15 PM
The War of Northern Aggression, was just that. The North was trying to dictate to the Southern states how they should go about their economy. The South being very States rights didn't appreciate being dictated too, too much.

Granted, much of the southern economy was based on slavery. I am not sure how hard the North was looking at compromises as a way to transition to other forms of agriculture schemes before outlawing slavery. Northern style of agriculture (small family farms) would not work on the large plantations. I don't know if share cropping was considered or even given the time to work by the Northern legislature.
Because sharecropping worked so well for sharecroppers after the war:rolleyes:

picasso
4/16/2007, 04:20 PM
is there a flag of Benito flying in Italy?

Fraggle145
4/16/2007, 06:52 PM
Well, alls I know is that the Crittendon Compromise had a whole lot to do with slavery. I don't doubt that there were other factors as well, but the right to own slaves played a very prominent role in the whole ordeal. It's easy for me to see why people still associate the confederate flag with slavery.

But maybe Spurrier is just for a strong federal government.

Oh I can totally see it, I was just saying. I believe it was S.Carolina that broke away first, due to how hard the shipping in Charleston had been hit. It also had to do with the way states were added and for every new free state a slave state was also added or something like that. When the numbers became unequal thats when the craziness started. So it was about states rights, slavery, tariffs, and a favoring of the industrial economies of the north over the agrarian economies of the south (this is what caused shipping to be hit hard in SC as goods were shipped directly to the north skipping the South altogether).

Here's some more background info. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederate_States_of_America

picasso
4/16/2007, 07:07 PM
I never realized how deeply rooted those ties are until I visited Gettysburg. there were flags of different southern states, flowers, everywhere. Especially where Pickett's charge began.