PDA

View Full Version : Chicago gets the nod from the USOC

Okla-homey
4/15/2007, 08:11 AM
...to compete for the site of the 2016 summer olympics. They'll be competing w/Prague, Rio de Janero, London, Paris and Tokyo and a bunch of other places.

Here's my question. Why bother? First off, you gotta violate US law to win the bid because it requires bribing the international Olympic committee decision-makers, and secondly, can you even hope to break even on an Olympics these days?

As an aside, Chicago in summer is hot!

fadada1
4/15/2007, 08:40 AM
chicago is a great city, but no way they beat out paris - it's their time. i'm not sure if the sun shines in prague... does it?

royalfan5
4/15/2007, 09:08 AM
...to compete for the site of the 2016 summer olympics. They'll be competing w/Prague, Rio de Janero, London, Paris and Tokyo and a bunch of other places.

Here's my question. Why bother? First off, you gotta violate US law to win the bid because it requires bribing the international Olympic committee decision-makers, and secondly, can you even hope to break even on an Olympics these days?

As an aside, Chicago in summer is hot!
Having to Bribe the IOC hasn't stopped the United States from hosting four times since 1980. That being said, I think it goes to London or Paris this time around.

Okla-homey
4/15/2007, 10:58 AM
Having to Bribe the IOC hasn't stopped the United States from hosting four times since 1980. That being said, I think it goes to London or Paris this time around.

I honestly don't understand the motivation to bid for one of these things. Going all the way back to LA in the early eighties, I understand the site city loses money. If that's true, the question becomes, WTF is making money on these dealios?

Ike
4/15/2007, 11:32 AM
I honestly don't understand the motivation to bid for one of these things. Going all the way back to LA in the early eighties, I understand the site city loses money. If that's true, the question becomes, WTF is making money on these dealios?

The chicago olympic whatchamacalit (the people who put together this bid) are claiming that the city is going to make money on the olympics. I have no idea why they claim this, but thats the claim...they say it meshes with revenues that other cities have had in the olympics.

And as far as bribes go, Daley has no problem with that. He's very familiar with the concept.

GottaHavePride
4/15/2007, 11:44 AM

I imagine the city itself loses money, but they'll make up for it eventually through the sales tax revenues generated by the (hopefully) ginormous crowds, hotel taxes, etc. etc.

Cam
4/15/2007, 11:45 AM
[QUOTE=Okla-homeyAs an aside, Chicago in summer is hot![/QUOTE]
That's what I was thinking as well. My money's on Paris or London.

GottaHavePride
4/15/2007, 11:52 AM
Chicago hot in the summer? Ok, sorta, but it's not like it's Atlanta.

People would die if they ever held summer Olympics in Orlando.

tommieharris91
4/15/2007, 12:43 PM
London has the Olympics in 2012. I would say the only possible competition is with Rio de Janiero.

skycat
4/15/2007, 12:47 PM
I imagine the city itself loses money, but they'll make up for it eventually through the sales tax revenues generated by the (hopefully) ginormous crowds, hotel taxes, etc. etc.

That's what they say, but it just doesn't happen.

oklaclarinet
4/15/2007, 01:11 PM
London has the Olympics in 2012. I would say the only possible competition is with Rio de Janiero.

Agreed. The Olympic people like to rotate around geographic areas, and by then, Europe would have hosted two of the last three (Athens 2004, London 2012). Asia will have had one (Beijing 2008) and Australia will have had one (Sydney 2000). The last time we had a Summer Games in the Western Hemishpere was 1996 in Atlanta, so the odds are pretty good that someone in the Americas will get it.

Cam
4/15/2007, 06:53 PM
Agreed. The Olympic people like to rotate around geographic areas, and by then, Europe would have hosted two of the last three (Athens 2004, London 2012). Asia will have had one (Beijing 2008) and Australia will have had one (Sydney 2000). The last time we had a Summer Games in the Western Hemishpere was 1996 in Atlanta, so the odds are pretty good that someone in the Americas will get it.

Didn't realize that. Rio it is then.

KStatePike
4/15/2007, 09:34 PM
does NBC make much money with the broadcasting rights? I know they have to pay an arm and a leg to get the rights, but do that many people still watch the Olympics in America? That being said, I love em.

oklaclarinet
4/16/2007, 06:37 AM
I think it depends on where the games are. If the games are being held someplace that requires NBC to tape delay a lot, not as many people watch because they can find out the results ahead of time. I also think the summer games are a better draw than the winter games. The ratings were low enough for the 2002 winter games that in 2006, the rival channels didn't do the traditional thing and pull all of their popular shows. Instead, big time ratings shows like American Idol went up against the Olympics, and if I recall, it did hurt the ratings.

Mixer!
4/16/2007, 05:30 PM
Rio is only an hour ahead of the east coast, so tape delays should be minimal.

TexasLidig8r
4/16/2007, 05:41 PM
Let's see...

uber hot topless Brazilian women on the beach... or...

Women who grow hair on their back and put on extra layers of blubber to keep warm in the winter..

hmmmm...

That's a toughie....