PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor flag pole lighting question

OUDoc
4/14/2007, 09:23 PM
We have a flag pole with the American flag up at all times. We try to keep it lit at night, so about a year and a half ago, I installed a 500-watt halogen light (that I had lying around) in some cement in the ground and buried the power lines in PVC. I put an electric eye on it so it only comes on at night. At some point, the heat from the light and (probably) cold rain cracked the glass on the fixture, then water got in and shorted it out. Last year I bought a brand-new 300-watt halogen fixture, now the lens cracked on it and it shorted out (with the recent cold rain, I guess). I assume the problem is that these were both made for "under eave" mounting, not ground mounting facing upward. Every fixture made for ground use that I can find is wimpy accent lighting, not something to light a large flag pole. Anyone know what I can use that would withstand the elements better than what I've been using?

slickdawg
4/14/2007, 09:28 PM
The glass/halogen mix is what is killing you - the glass has parctically zero elasticity, and of course is fragile. So if it's cold outside, and that 300 watts of love (and heat) comes on, the temperature differential is too great and
causes the glass to heat and try to expand. It's not elastic, so it cracks.

I'd put a 90 watt floodlight on it, or two if you really want more light. Using halogen in that application isn't going to work.

royalfan5
4/14/2007, 09:31 PM
How far is the flagpole from another building or your house? Can you mount a light on structure that has more protection while still lighting the flag?

OUDoc
4/14/2007, 09:35 PM
How far is the flagpole from another building or your house? Can you mount a light on structure that has more protection while still lighting the flag?
It's pretty close to the front living room, but the interior has a vaulted ceiling, so I can't get power to the eave without running it externally.

I'd put a 90 watt floodlight on it, or two if you really want more light. Using halogen in that application isn't going to work.

But, when I face it upward, won't water get into the fixture and short it out too? I figured a sealed halogen would give more protection (and more light).

slickdawg
4/14/2007, 09:41 PM
I've got floodlights on the front of the house, point up, no problems.

Now remember this - ANY outdoor electrical wires should be on a Ground Fault Interrupt (GFI) circuit. That's the ones where recepticles have the red and black buttons on them, like in your bathroom. So if it does short, it throws the GFI breaker.

OUDoc
4/14/2007, 09:48 PM
I've got floodlights on the front of the house, point up, no problems.

Now remember this - ANY outdoor electrical wires should be on a Ground Fault Interrupt (GFI) circuit. That's the ones where recepticles have the red and black buttons on them, like in your bathroom. So if it does short, it throws the GFI breaker.
This one's hooked into one, but it keeps tripping the fridge in the garage. That's why I need to get it fixed. :D I might just try regular flood lights. It's got to be easier than trying to keep the halogen working.
BTW, "regulations", I believe, state that a private residence doesn't have to light the flag at night, but it just seems wrong. That's why I'm going to such lengths to try to light the flag.

olevetonahill
4/14/2007, 09:51 PM
definately a GFI . Sounds to me like you just need to ask the friendly folk at Lowes what you need .
HMM I think you can email em from the sponsor addy thingy . ;)

OUDoc
definately a GFI . Sounds to me like you just need to ask the friendly folk at Lowes what you need .
HMM I think you can email em from the sponsor addy thingy . ;)
Click some damn ads! :mad:

:)

slickdawg
You shouldn't have the garage fridge on GFI for that reason. Run another circuit to it.

OUDoc
4/14/2007, 09:52 PM
You shouldn't have the garage fridge on GFI for that reason. Run another circuit to it.
I think all my garage plugs are on that same circuit. I'll have to check.

olevetonahill
4/14/2007, 09:53 PM
This one's hooked into one, but it keeps tripping the fridge in the garage. That's why I need to get it fixed. :D I might just try regular flood lights. It's got to be easier than trying to keep the halogen working.
BTW, "regulations", I believe, state that a private residence doesn't have to light the flag at night, but it just seems wrong. That's why I'm going to such lengths to try to light the flag.
I dont care who Ya are If ya aint gonna lite it up , Take it down at nite .
Spek to you fro going to so much trouble .

bluedogok
4/14/2007, 09:58 PM
There are floodlight receptacles made for "wet" use and some even for submerged use in fountains and ponds. If you are lighting from underneath and near the pole, you might be better off using a spotlight rather than floodlight. It will focus more light on the flag with less wattage.

Here is a Greenlee uplight (http://www.lsi-industries.com/lighting_product.asp?ID=393). they have 2 sizes, either a PAR38 or a PAR30L size. They are designed to be uplights only.

OUinFLA
4/14/2007, 10:14 PM
http://www.mccoy.army.mil/vtriad_online/11242000/images/searchlight_400_x.jpg

GottaHavePride
4/14/2007, 10:35 PM
http://www.supermantv.net/wallpaperbattles/batmanbegins/batman-signal.jpg

Tailwind
4/14/2007, 10:52 PM
Nice codpiece Batman!