PDA

View Full Version : Why do people from the Northeast say Idear

royalfan5
4/14/2007, 05:44 PM
instead of idea? My International econ professor is from Upstate New York, and drops an idear or three into each of his taped lectures. It drives me nuts.

MamaMia
4/14/2007, 05:46 PM
Because of the same reason they say umbreller. :P

fadada1
4/14/2007, 05:50 PM
that's a NYC thing (old school.... not 80's old school, but older school). i'm from the northeast (but SOONER born and educated), and don't say such nonsense.

it's kind of like okies saying miama - with the "a" (instead of miami - with the "eee").

olevetonahill
4/14/2007, 05:50 PM
I got No idear :confused:

Flagstaffsooner
4/14/2007, 05:53 PM
Or midwest say Warshington.

Viking Kitten
4/14/2007, 05:53 PM
He's probably wondering why we say "peench" instead of "pinch." Among other things.

When I've heard northeasterners say "idear," it's usually only when the next word in the sentence starts with a vowel, they use an "r" sound to link words that start and end with vowels. The Brits do this too.

Tailwind
4/14/2007, 07:35 PM
Aha!

SicEmBaylor
4/14/2007, 07:44 PM
You're one of the ones who are glad they won. Quit your bitchin' and embrace your yankee overlords!

TopDawg
4/14/2007, 07:47 PM
Eshbach still says "idear".

My wife says "peench" and "tenny shoes".

soonerbrat
4/14/2007, 07:48 PM
same reason some people down here say "ideal" instead of "idea"

olevetonahill
4/14/2007, 08:13 PM
that's a NYC thing (old school.... not 80's old school, but older school). i'm from the northeast (but SOONER born and educated), and don't say such nonsense.

it's kind of like okies saying miama - with the "a" (instead of miami - with the "eee").
well hell boy
we have Miamee which be down there in Fla. then we have Miamaa which be up on the Northeast corner of the State . :cool:

TopDawg
4/14/2007, 09:55 PM
same reason some people down here say "ideal" instead of "idea"

Or sim-u-lar.

Or supposably.

I also hate it when people add a third syllable to "athlete" or a 4th to "athletic".

Mixer!
4/14/2007, 10:09 PM
http://img11.imagepile.net/img11/387home-sr.jpg

I've got no idear what'cher all talking about.

Viking Kitten
4/14/2007, 10:14 PM
Or sim-u-lar.

Or supposably.

I also hate it when people add a third syllable to "athlete" or a 4th to "athletic".

Or when someone says "thee-A-ter," as in, "we're taking in a production of Hamlet tonight down at the Globe Thee-A-ter."

Grrrrrr.:mad:

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/15/2007, 02:43 AM
Or when someone says "thee-A-ter," as in, "we're taking in a production of Hamlet tonight down at the Globe Thee-A-ter."

Grrrrrr.:mad:Howsome bout "real-a-tor" instead of realtor? I also don't understand "nucular" instead of nuclear, and "Venzuela" instead of Venezuela, even though that place can fall off the edge of the earth, as far as I care. (I lived there when I was in Jr. HS, and it was wild and wooly even back then)

fadada1
4/15/2007, 06:55 AM
ya'll need to go to the libary and get some grammerin'.

TopDawg
4/15/2007, 10:19 AM
Howsome bout "real-a-tor" instead of realtor?

Similar to jule-ry instead of jew-el-ry.

Here's a website of 100 commonly mispronounced words or phrases. (http://www.yourdictionary.com/library/mispron.html)

sanantoniosooner
4/15/2007, 10:31 AM
keep your carmel away from my caramel

VeeJay
4/15/2007, 11:13 AM

Grrrrrr.:mad:

Ya mean Czar pronounces it "Thee-a-tur?"

Heh.

SicEmBaylor
4/15/2007, 11:14 AM
Loy-yer instead of lawyer really annoys the **** out of me.
One practices law not loy, correct?

SleestakSooner
4/15/2007, 12:02 PM
Kin i aks you sumpin? Did ya'll no bar-bitch-u-ates had a second R in it? Last time I ett some I wound up in the bob wires tangled like nobody's bidness.

You'd a thought ole G-Dub had set off a nucular bom the way the calvary came runnin to fetch me out.

They must of thought I was a cannidate for brane surgey
what with the way they came runnin. And there I lay with no clean shorts on. I hadn't warshed my close and had nothing clean in my chester drawers!

:D

royalfan5
4/15/2007, 12:06 PM
It also makes me mad when people say creek instead of crick when talking about a creek.

SicEmBaylor
4/15/2007, 12:18 PM
I hear the cherry blossoms are blooming in Warshington right now.

Ike
4/15/2007, 12:20 PM
instead of idea? My International econ professor is from Upstate New York, and drops an idear or three into each of his taped lectures. It drives me nuts.

Conservation of consonants. The 'R's that they drop when they "pahk their cah at Hahvahad Squaeh" have to end up somewhere.

It's a law of nature.