PDA

View Full Version : as per ESPN

fadada1
4/14/2007, 04:01 PM
School pres. expects fair ruling in car dealership caseAssociated Press

OKLAHOMA CITY -- University President David Boren emerged from an NCAA Committee on Infractions hearing on Saturday believing Oklahoma got a "totally fair" opportunity to defend itself against allegations it failed to adequately monitor athletes' employment at a Norman car dealership.

Boren said most of the 4½-hour meeting was spent on the topic of a "failure to monitor" charge against the university, which has dismissed three players -- including starting quarterback Rhett Bomar -- from the football team for taking extra pay from the dealership.

"I would describe it as totally fair. We had every opportunity to present our case," Boren said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press following the hearing in Indianapolis.

In its written response to the NCAA allegations, Oklahoma said it strongly disagreed with the failure to monitor charge and claimed the rules violations would not have been uncovered if not for the university's "aggressive investigation."

Boren said Saturday that the NCAA restricted him from giving specifics about the meeting's contents.

"There were no new surprises," Boren said. "All of the issues that were discussed were issues that were already previously known."

Boren complimented the qualifications of the infractions committee, which he said included two judges and others with experience in intercollegiate athletics.

"I have a lot of confidence that a fair judgment will be rendered, and I don't really expect any surprises there," Boren said. "We have already so harshly punished ourselves."

In addition to self-imposed reductions in football scholarships and recruiting visits, Oklahoma has banned athletes from working at the car dealership until at least the 2008-09 academic year and has moved to prevent the athletes' supervisor at the dealership from being involved with the university's athletics program.

"I think the committee had an understanding of the penalties that we assessed on ourselves," Boren said.

Boren noted that Oklahoma "had not disputed the facts regarding the players that were removed" and said the university agrees "that there were a couple of mistakes that were made."

He said it is now up to the committee to determine "whether these honest mistakes constituted failure to monitor." He said a decision could come in six weeks, but he expected the timeframe to more likely be two months.

Oklahoma was making its second appearance before the infractions committee in just under one year. On April 21 last year, the university had a hearing on charges regarding more than 550 impermissible recruiting calls made by former basketball coach Kelvin Sampson and his staff.

Five weeks after that hearing, the infractions committee announced its decision to accept Oklahoma's self-imposed sanctions while adding additional penalties against Sampson, who had already moved on to his current position as Indiana's head basketball coach.

Boren said the previous appearance before the committee was not an issue Saturday, and he championed Oklahoma for demonstrating in both cases a commitment to teaching and upholding NCAA rules.

In this case, Boren pointed out that Bomar and the other players "knowingly decided to disobey the rules."

"That's the difficult thing," Boren said.

Boren recalled a meeting in his office hours after the violations had been proven through a university investigation in which he asked football coach Bob Stoops what action he wanted to take.

"Coach Stoops said immediately, `I want them off the team, because we want to make a statement about our values and what we stand for."'

Bomar has been ordered by the NCAA to pay back more than $7,400 in extra benefits to charity, while offensive lineman J.D. Quinn was told to pay back more than $8,100. Bomar transferred to Sam Houston State and Quinn to Montana.

"To me, I think our actions sent a message to the country that at OU, the integrity of our program comes before winning," Boren said.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Newbomb Turk
4/14/2007, 04:05 PM
well, that doesn't sound too bad. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

starrca23
4/14/2007, 04:15 PM
Ya, I can breath a little easier. I really don't understand why it would take 5 weeks to figure out what they are gonna do though.

Fraggle145
4/14/2007, 04:24 PM
All I know is that if this is anything worse than what USC gets for the Reggie Bush debacle then we should bring a suit against the NCAA. We've done it before.

OU-HSV
4/14/2007, 04:45 PM
Sounds promising

KingDavid
4/14/2007, 04:57 PM
The period over which these allegations are debated is a part of the penalty, if you ask me. It is ridiculous that it would take 6-8 weeks to reach a resolution on something like this. Goodness, how long can you talk about something like that? It just gives more time for adverse recruiting . . . . and quite frankly, more time for something else to go wrong which might unduly influence the committee - i.e. what if the next IDIOT (Bonar) emerges before their decision and it hits the press?

This is Ancient Chinese drip deliberation torture.

Dio
4/14/2007, 04:59 PM
I still don't trust the NCAA to not nail us.

Jello Biafra
4/14/2007, 05:01 PM
The period over which these allegations are debated is a part of the penalty, if you ask me. It is ridiculous that it would take 6-8 weeks to reach a resolution on something like this. Goodness, how long can you talk about something like that? It just gives more time for adverse recruiting . . . . and quite frankly, more time for something else to go wrong which might unduly influence the committee - i.e. what if the next IDIOT (Bonar) emerges before their decision and it hits the press?

This is Ancient Chinese drip deliberation torture.

not to mention all of the negative recruiting that has already taken place over the last 12 months. we have booted three, slapped ourselves with scholarship losses, cut down on the amount of recruiting we can do plus all the **********s out there (ahem the rest of the big XII) are slamming us in recruiting.......what else really needs to happen to us? if we get smacked, i say a good majority of the fans needs to make a trip to NCAA HQ and start burying people in the parking lot.

BajaOklahoma
4/14/2007, 05:49 PM
What else could Boren reasonably say to the press today?

I found the article on the failure of the NCAA to meet its deadline in the OSU basketball case a total joke. They set the deadlines, how can they fail to meet them.

DarrellZero
4/14/2007, 06:06 PM
I'll believe the NCAA doesn't intend to screw us when I see it in their own writing.

Call me cynical.

Flagstaffsooner
4/14/2007, 06:08 PM
Boren said Saturday that the NCAA restricted him from giving specifics about the meeting's contents.
Doesn't Oklahoma have an open meetings law regarding state employees?

olevetonahill
4/14/2007, 06:36 PM
well **** me running ! we waited all this time to hear , Now we gotta wait 2 Mo months ? bastages !:mad:

TheUnnamedSooner
4/14/2007, 06:39 PM
Well, at least we have something to complain/talk about during the offseason!

goingoneight
4/14/2007, 06:48 PM
as per ESPN...
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w125/goingoneight/SUC.jpg

PLaw
4/14/2007, 06:50 PM
All I know is that if this is anything worse than what USC gets for the Reggie Bush debacle then we should bring a suit against the NCAA. We've done it before.

REGARDELESS, WE SHOULD BRING A SUIT FOR THE TIME SPENT DEFENDING THIS CRAP. CLEARLY, WE MONITORED, WE INVESTIGATED, AND WE SWIFTLY PUNISHED, PERIOD. END OF STORY.

BOOMER SOONER
PLAW

SoonerRoads
4/14/2007, 06:54 PM
School pres. expects fair ruling in car dealership caseAssociated Press

OKLAHOMA CITY -- University President David Boren emerged from an NCAA Committee on Infractions hearing on Saturday believing Oklahoma got a "totally fair" opportunity to defend itself against allegations it failed to adequately monitor athletes' employment at a Norman car dealership.

Boren said most of the 4½-hour meeting was spent on the topic of a "failure to monitor" charge against the university, which has dismissed three players -- including starting quarterback Rhett Bomar -- from the football team for taking extra pay from the dealership.

"I would describe it as totally fair. We had every opportunity to present our case," Boren said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press following the hearing in Indianapolis.

In its written response to the NCAA allegations, Oklahoma said it strongly disagreed with the failure to monitor charge and claimed the rules violations would not have been uncovered if not for the university's "aggressive investigation."

"There were no new surprises," Boren said. "All of the issues that were discussed were issues that were already previously known."

Boren complimented the qualifications of the infractions committee, which he said included two judges and others with experience in intercollegiate athletics.

"I have a lot of confidence that a fair judgment will be rendered, and I don't really expect any surprises there," Boren said. "We have already so harshly punished ourselves."

In addition to self-imposed reductions in football scholarships and recruiting visits, Oklahoma has banned athletes from working at the car dealership until at least the 2008-09 academic year and has moved to prevent the athletes' supervisor at the dealership from being involved with the university's athletics program.

"I think the committee had an understanding of the penalties that we assessed on ourselves," Boren said.

Boren noted that Oklahoma "had not disputed the facts regarding the players that were removed" and said the university agrees "that there were a couple of mistakes that were made."

He said it is now up to the committee to determine "whether these honest mistakes constituted failure to monitor." He said a decision could come in six weeks, but he expected the timeframe to more likely be two months.

Oklahoma was making its second appearance before the infractions committee in just under one year. On April 21 last year, the university had a hearing on charges regarding more than 550 impermissible recruiting calls made by former basketball coach Kelvin Sampson and his staff.

Five weeks after that hearing, the infractions committee announced its decision to accept Oklahoma's self-imposed sanctions while adding additional penalties against Sampson, who had already moved on to his current position as Indiana's head basketball coach.

Boren said the previous appearance before the committee was not an issue Saturday, and he championed Oklahoma for demonstrating in both cases a commitment to teaching and upholding NCAA rules.

In this case, Boren pointed out that Bomar and the other players "knowingly decided to disobey the rules."

Boren recalled a meeting in his office hours after the violations had been proven through a university investigation in which he asked football coach Bob Stoops what action he wanted to take.

"Coach Stoops said immediately, `I want them off the team, because we want to make a statement about our values and what we stand for."'

Bomar has been ordered by the NCAA to pay back more than $7,400 in extra benefits to charity, while offensive lineman J.D. Quinn was told to pay back more than $8,100. Bomar transferred to Sam Houston State and Quinn to Montana.

"To me, I think our actions sent a message to the country that at OU, the integrity of our program comes before winning," Boren said.

I heard Matt Hayes from the Sporting News say today on the radio in regard to the USC investigation over the Reggie Bush thing, that if the NCAA could not prove that USC had knowledge of what had happened with the Bush family and the Agent, that they could not be faulted. That being the case, the same criteria had better apply to OU regarding the Big Red situation.

Just my take.

PLaw
4/14/2007, 06:54 PM
REGARDELESS, WE SHOULD BRING A SUIT FOR THE TIME SPENT DEFENDING THIS CRAP. CLEARLY, WE MONITORED, WE INVESTIGATED, AND WE SWIFTLY PUNISHED, PERIOD. END OF STORY.

OH YEAH, HOW ABOUT THE NEGATIVE RECRUITING LEVIED AGAINST BY THE PUKES SOUTH OF THE RED RIVER, AS WELL AS OTHER PLACES FAR AND NEAR.

BOOMER
PLAW

sitzpinkler
4/14/2007, 08:03 PM
OH YEAH, HOW ABOUT THE NEGATIVE RECRUITING LEVIED AGAINST BY THE PUKES SOUTH OF THE RED RIVER, AS WELL AS OTHER PLACES FAR AND NEAR.

BOOMER
PLAW

:les: STOP YELLING!!!

tulsaoilerfan
4/14/2007, 09:04 PM
I still don't trust the NCAA to not nail us.
Me neither; they've had a hard on for OU since the Wilkinson days. :mad:

Jello Biafra
4/14/2007, 09:36 PM

BOOMER
PLAW

wow....where have i heard this before? :)

Ash
4/14/2007, 10:01 PM
well **** me running ! we waited all this time to hear , Now we gotta wait 2 Mo months ? bastages !:mad:

What he said! :mad:

opksooner
4/14/2007, 11:33 PM
There is scant reason for optimism. So, "we presented our case and got a fair hearing". BFD. I'll believe we dodged the bullet when their final decision comes down. Not before.

theboz44
4/15/2007, 02:39 AM

only way that could happen would be through an anti-trust suit against the NCAA and i think they've already got one in the pipelines regarding how much college athletes get paid....but i def agree with ya and i think boz got the whole NCAA acronym right

Ash
4/15/2007, 02:43 AM
only way that could happen would be through an anti-trust suit against the NCAA and i think they've already got one in the pipelines regarding how much college athletes get paid
:confused:

AlbqSooner
4/15/2007, 05:45 AM
A statement from a Rhodes Scholar that is unnecessarily redundant.;)

fadada1
4/15/2007, 06:52 AM
A statement from a Rhodes Scholar that is unnecessarily redundant.;)
that's kind of like, "irregardless of their findings, they still don't like us."

MojoRisen
4/15/2007, 06:58 AM
I expect a fair ruling, if they bone us it will be because they don't like us.

The Iraq war has been tough- mostly because the crazy bastages decided to go ahead and try and kill us. By all means

stoopified
4/15/2007, 07:40 AM
Ya, I can breath a little easier. I really don't understand why it would take 5 weeks to figure out what they are gonna do though.Its just to keep us twisting in the wind.

SoonerRoads
4/15/2007, 08:25 AM
only way that could happen would be through an anti-trust suit against the NCAA and i think they've already got one in the pipelines regarding how much college athletes get paid....but i def agree with ya and i think boz got the whole NCAA acronym right

They aren't going to take away USC's trophy and they aren't going to take back Bush's Heisman. The USC golden boys will come out of this with only a slap on the hand when the NCAA determines that the school had "no knowledge" that any of this was going on. If they rule for USC in that way, it would be hard for them to come back and say that we should have known about what was going on down at Big Red. USC's situation may actually work in our favor.

Just my take.

MamaMia
4/15/2007, 09:28 AM
goingoneight, free photo resizing is your friend! ;)

http://bigwebpages.com/big/resize.html

For those of you who don't want to bottom scroll back and forth every line you read... Here is fadadas post about the article...

School pres. expects fair ruling in car dealership case
Associated Press

Petro-Sooner
4/16/2007, 03:54 PM
In other news, boran increases student fees.

:D

StuIsTheMan
4/16/2007, 04:36 PM

let's get those FARGING ICEHOLES

Vaevictis
4/16/2007, 07:28 PM
In other news, boran increases student fees.

:D

That's not news. That's SOP.

StuIsTheMan
4/17/2007, 05:40 PM
Hey I got it, why not do what Oregon does...Call Uncle Phil, he's got deep pockets...hell he bought them the game on 9/16/06

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/6272/gknight2275no0.jpg (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/)

this pic still makes me sick...