PDA

View Full Version : Quentin Griffin just busted a 30 yard run in NFL Europe game

Hatfield
4/14/2007, 11:17 AM
atta boy Q

OSUAggie
4/14/2007, 11:25 AM
Your former deep-snapper is also on the Hamburg Sea Devils.

swardboy
4/14/2007, 02:24 PM
That's incredible considering the Hamburg game isn't even on yet....

GoState
4/14/2007, 02:41 PM
Here's a Q diary from their website:
http://www.nfleurope.com/teams/story/HAM/10123181

That's incredible considering the Hamburg game isn't even on yet....

The tv broadcast at 3pm is on tape delay...don't forget there's a 7 hour time difference between here and Germany.

swardboy
4/14/2007, 02:56 PM
Hey, are you trying to tell me I can't believe everything I see on my tv?

swardboy
4/14/2007, 03:16 PM
NOW I'm seeing Q break that first run for big yardage. Nice.

Tailwind
4/14/2007, 04:14 PM
GO Q!!!!

swardboy
4/14/2007, 04:33 PM
Q had a nice kick-off return in the first half in addition to about his only carry for about 30 yards. Basically he's sharing time with #21. I noticed he has done a decent job of pass blocking also.

stoopified
4/15/2007, 07:53 AM
QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ QQQQQQQ way to go!

SoonerSid
4/15/2007, 01:08 PM
I'm planning a trip back to Germany, and I will have to get me one of those Hamburg Sea Devil hats for sure..

soonersweetie
4/16/2007, 02:49 PM
woohoo, I will have to watch the Hamburg games now. I sure hope he opens some NFL team's eyes.

Would love to see him playing as a starter here on a NFL team.

swardboy
4/16/2007, 10:05 PM
I am so ****ed. Q has 3 carries for a 10.3 yard per carry average....and then he gets buried after the first series of downs, hardly to be seen again except on kick-off return. When will the kid get a break?

insuranceman_22
4/16/2007, 11:14 PM
He's falling into the stigma of being to small.......just ask saxet how small he is though! You're right, if he get a chance only good things will happen. We're still pulling for you Q!

Ash
4/16/2007, 11:25 PM
He's falling into the stigma of being to small.......just ask saxet how small he is though! You're right, if he get a chance only good things will happen. We're still pulling for you Q!

I was thinking the same thing. W. Dunn has had to battle this his whole career, too, but he got a shot in the league.

birddog
4/17/2007, 12:53 AM
http://www.nfleurope.com/teams/HAM

birddog
4/22/2007, 11:59 PM
hamburg v. berlin on nfl network right now.

Blue
4/23/2007, 12:14 AM

If this doesn't say, "I'm a Loser-Geek", I don't know what does.

bluedogok
4/28/2007, 11:40 PM
Hamburg v. Frankfurt is on NFL Network right now, Q is in the backfield.

critical_phil
4/29/2007, 10:49 PM
Hamburg v. Frankfurt is on NFL Network right now, Q is in the backfield.
i DVR'd the game and just now watched it.

Q had 9 carries for 35 yards. in Q fashion, those were runs of 13, 0, 0, 8, 0, 12, 5, 1, and -4.

he did have a brilliant 79 yard KO return that kept them in the game.

unfortunately, the Hamburg team doesn't play to win. it's kind of like NFL exhibition - everyone gets X amount of downs. they don't use situational players at all. that 3rd string back they rotate in every 3rd series couldn't start at UCO.

they're 1-2 right now, and their 2 losses should fall squarely on the coach's shoulders for his chucklongesque offensive mentality. unless he learns how to get the ball to the RB's in some space and use that giant TE, this losing pattern will probably continue.

oh, and hamburg's defense succs

http://www.hamburg-seadevils.de/global/dbimages/hamfra556.jpg

bluedogok
4/29/2007, 11:06 PM
Frankfurt is the big dog over there but Hamburg does look bad.

swardboy
5/1/2007, 12:37 PM
Now that KC has unloaded Dante Hall, I'm hoping Q comes back to help out in the return area. Possibly that's what the Euro thing is all about, to give him more return experience.

Piware
5/4/2007, 10:06 PM

Your former star field goal kicker wears little red pixie shoes and plays AF2 for the Tulsa Talons.

birddog
5/27/2007, 12:20 AM
q's getting the start right now on nfl network. just ran a sweep for a first down.

critical_phil
6/9/2007, 05:40 PM
Q left today's game in the first quarter.

he didn't return, and i'm not sure the extent of the injury. it did NOT look like a knee.

critical_phil
6/17/2007, 02:15 AM
Q didn't dress for today's game. the announcer's said it was an ankle injury.

hamburg won, and will play for the "world" bowl next week. hopefully Q will be back in the lineup.

Ash
6/17/2007, 10:13 AM
Slightly OT, but Runnels is injured and was waived from the Bears... :mad:

Here's to a healthier season for Sooners in the pros this year.

critical_phil
6/22/2007, 05:34 PM
looks like Q is still listed as questionable.

NFL network airs the game live. i think it's at 11am, hillbilly time.

Ex-Sooners in World Bowl Saturday

By Michael Kinney
THE NORMAN TRANSCRIPT (NORMAN, Okla.)

NORMAN, Okla.— Jacob Rice is ready to introduce himself to the world.
The former Norman High and University of Oklahoma football player will play in World Bowl XV Saturday in Frankfurt, Germany, when his Hamburg Sea Devils (7-3) take on defending champion Frankfurt Galaxy (7-3).

Even though Rice knows his trip to NFL Europe’s ultimate game has been a short one, it feels like he’s been traveling this road for quite some time.
“It’s real special,” Rice said from Frankfurt. “I was thinking the other day in my room, four months ago I wasn’t even expecting to be on the team, let alone go the World Bowl. It’s been an awesome opportunity. I have been blessed to play on two awesome teams. First Oklahoma, and now here.”

Rice was in Tampa, Fla., almost four months trying to earn a spot as a longsnapper with any NFL Europe squad. He had been out of football since 2005 and had no real reason to believe he would be selected.

However, by the time the free agent camp ended, Rice was still around and found himself being picked up by the Sea Devils.

Now it appears Rice and Hamburg were a perfect fit. Like Rice, the Sea Devils were a long shot to make it to the championship game. Coming off a season in which they won only two games, they were not supposed to catch a glimpse of the playoffs.

“The history of the Hamburg teams was not so great,” Rice said. “Everyone was saying how rough it was. As the season went on, it became more obvious we had a great group of free agents. You could tell how well we meshed together.”

One of those free agents was former Sooner Quentin Griffin. After a briefly explosive but also fumble- and injury-prone stint with the Denver Broncos, Griffin has become one of the Sea Devils’ prime offensive players in this rejuvenation season.

“Our team, and ultimate goal, is to go to the World Bowl,” Griffin wrote in his Sea Devil diary. “A personal goal, for me, is that I want to be the best Quentin Griffin that I can be and I want to enjoy myself. I want to have fun over here, I want to see Germany, experience a different culture and meet different people. That’s what I want to do.”

Griffin was sixth in the league with 358 rushing yards on 77 carries. He led the league in kickoff returns with a 36.9 average.

“Quentin has played real well,” Rice said. “Quentin is Quentin. He is amazing. I have been lucky to be on two teams with him and got to see him to do his work.”

Unfortunately, in the Sea Devils’ regular season finale against the Galaxy, Griffin rolled his ankle and has been nursing it ever since. His status for the World Bowl remains questionable.

Even with Griffin’s injury, Rice said the regular season win over the Galaxy was the highlight of the season. It also set up what he expects to be a very intense title contest in which Hamburg will still inherit the underdog’s role despite ending the regular season atop the league.

“We had to beat them to even have a chance of going to the playoffs,” Rice said. “We beat them in the last 40 seconds on a deep pass in front of a record crowd of 30,000. That game was the most exciting part of the season. It took me back to Big 12 championship and national championship games I played in.”

Rice’s family usally gets together to watch his games at Louie’s Deli and Bar, 301 W. Boyd St. They plan to do the same Saturday.

“I’m sure if it is on then we will have it,” said Louie’s manager Marty Chilcote. “Epecially since it’s the World Bowl.”

On the eve of the World Bowl, Rice said he still gets the same butterflies he’s gotten throughout his career. And with an expected crowd of more than 40,000 Galaxy fans using whistles, bells and horns, the longsnapper’s job will be one of the most crucial positions on the field.

But unlike many of the players on the team, Rice is used to playing in big games. He believes that experience will help him once the game begins.

“It’s going to make it real tough,” Rice said. “When I get down to snap the ball, I have to hear the call. And you usually can’t hear that. But playing at OU, they train you into that mindset. You have to be clutch under pressure. If anything, it helps me out because it forces me to focus.”

OU-HSV
6/23/2007, 02:11 PM
Yep, I've been watching it, he dressed out, but hasn't played a down yet as far as I can tell.

mikeelikee
6/25/2007, 11:31 PM
Well, at least his team won the World Bowl. I sure hope Q gets another shot in the NFL.

critical_phil
6/25/2007, 11:38 PM
he averaged nearly 40 yards/KO return before his injury.

i still think he'd make a nice 3rd down/change of pace type back in the league.

Ash
6/25/2007, 11:41 PM
he averaged nearly 40 yards/KO return before his injury.

i still think he'd make a nice 3rd down/change of pace type back in the league.

I agree. Especially since most NFL teams don't have a single running back system these days. You'd think he would be a great addition to a power running game that would make D's have to adjust.

trwxxa
7/30/2007, 09:02 PM
No takers yet. The Texans talked to him this past weekend, but chose to sign somebody else.

okieballin
8/16/2007, 09:24 AM
whats he have to do to get another chance in this league. he's got the talent and the drive. you can't say he's to small because there are several other backs with the same stature playing on other pro teams.
it even looks like he cured his fumbling problem.