PDA

View Full Version : Hey Linux users . . .

Sooner_Bob
4/14/2007, 08:46 AM
so I'm thinking about building a new computer and installing Linux as the OS.

Is Ubuntu one of the better distros?

Any tips or tricks I should know about before moving forward with the build?

I'm thinking about this second PC being the one my kids will use to surf the web and if possible play some of the online games they like.

TIA :cool:

Getem
4/14/2007, 12:42 PM
Ubuntu is fine ...distros are pretty much a matter of personal preference. I use Gentoo, but it is not the easiest to grok. Ubuntu is easy to get going, though Fedora Core may have better hardware support. Speaking of which, if you are building from components be aware that the latest and greatest hardware takes time to get drivers/support in Linux. Stick with mainstream stuff or research hardware support before you buy the pieces. Also, after using Gnome for the last seven years, I have been won over to KDE in the last year. Just seems to be a more usability-focused environment right now. You might install both and see which you prefer. Good luck.

the_ouskull
4/14/2007, 12:50 PM
I use Linux, but I know very, very little about it. I like it though. It seems to get MANY fewer of those little annoying *ssed day-to-day viruses. That pleases me.

the_ouskull

yermom
4/14/2007, 01:17 PM
i don't think you can go wrong with Ubuntu or Fedora. i think the Ubuntu install is easier, but the Fedora install probably works better on new hardware

if you are getting a new computer, i'd run Windows on that and Linux on the old one...

Sooner_Bob
4/15/2007, 07:52 AM
Hmmmmmm . . . decisions, decisions.

I've had some of this hardware for quite a while (over a year) so it should already be supported by Linux. The main things I'm buying now are a video card, RAM and a power supply.

Can you suggest some good Linux sites that are helpful?

Thanks!

yermom
4/15/2007, 10:16 AM
www.linuxquestions.org

i know there are official forums for Fedora and Ubuntu, but i haven't used them

i mostly search Google... and usually packages have good man pages or READMEs depending on what you are trying to do

crawfish
4/15/2007, 05:01 PM
Ubuntu runs from the install CD, so you can "try before you buy". You can also download the VMWare client and free images for the various Linux implentations to see which one you like best.