PDA

View Full Version : HOLY CARP!

mdklatt
4/13/2007, 12:26 PM
A raven and a hawk are fighting outside my office. They've been body checking each other into my window. Those sumbitches sure can fly fast.

SoonerStormchaser
4/13/2007, 12:28 PM
That's nice, but what do divine fish have to do with this?

mdklatt
4/13/2007, 01:07 PM

You must be new here....

yermom
4/13/2007, 01:18 PM
dude, that's awesome

my money's on the hawk

what kinda odds you gonna give me?

mdklatt
4/13/2007, 01:23 PM
dude, that's awesome

my money's on the hawk

what kinda odds you gonna give me?

They've calmed down now. No body slamming or hawk or raven cries for awhile. I would have guessed that a hawk would have to give points to a raven, but the raven is bigger than the hawk.

OUstudent4life
4/13/2007, 01:36 PM
Raven, or grackle?

Grackle = big, evil, and most of them have some sort of parasite living in their brains.

mdklatt
4/13/2007, 02:11 PM
Raven, or grackle?

Grackle = big, evil, and most of them have some sort of parasite living in their brains.

Aw hell. It was confusing enough trying to figure out if it was a raven or a crow.

Grackles don't look very big from the pictures I've found online. This thing is huge.

proud gonzo
4/13/2007, 02:14 PM
yeah, it wouldn't be a grackle. they're WAY smaller.

Petro-Sooner
4/13/2007, 02:16 PM
NEVER MORE............

proud gonzo
4/13/2007, 02:21 PM
the big difference is that ravens are about the size of a hawk--crows are about the size of a pigeon. But it's still really hard to tell the difference between a raven and a really big crow. The call they make is different...

but probably the easiest way to tell (especially if it's flying) is by the shape of its tail. If the tail is wedge-shaped (comes to a V) it's a raven. If the tail is rounded, it's a crow.

crows are more common in cities, though, and ravens prefer to stay away from people and buildings.

TUSooner
4/13/2007, 02:22 PM
I once saw a small hawk or kestrel pw3n a sparrow or something that was going in the front door of its nest underthe eaves of a house near me. The victim was fluttering by the nest and getting ready to go in and say "Hi, honey, I'm home!" when Mr Raptor-bird flashed up and grabbed the dude in his claws and flew off is a little cloud of feathers. That was the most violence I've seen in my neighborhood since I told Mrs TU she could paint the &@%# kitchen herself, any time she wanted to.

StuIsTheMan
4/13/2007, 02:23 PM

I was thinking the same thing...

proud gonzo
4/13/2007, 02:23 PM
oh, and their flying style is a little different too. Crows tend to fly in a straight line (hence "as the crow flies") and ravens tend to alternate flapping with soaring like a hawk

TUSooner
4/13/2007, 02:24 PM
the big difference is that ravens are about the size of a hawk--crows are about the size of a pigeon. But it's still really hard to tell the difference between a raven and a really big crow. The call they make is different...

but probably the easiest way to tell (especially if it's flying) is by the shape of its tail. If the tail is wedge-shaped (comes to a V) it's a raven. If the tail is rounded, it's a crow.

crows are more common in cities, though, and ravens prefer to stay away from people and buildings.
and me all out of spek....<shakes head>

proud gonzo
4/13/2007, 02:24 PM
:D

TUSooner
4/13/2007, 02:27 PM
oh, and their flying style is a little different too. Crows tend to fly in a straight line (hence "as the crow flies") and ravens tend to alternate flapping with soaring like a hawk
Now you're showing off.

:)

proud gonzo
4/13/2007, 02:29 PM
I'm just helping.... :O

NormanPride
4/13/2007, 02:35 PM
Crow. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crow)

Raven. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raven)

They look pretty different in the pictures, but I can see how people could confuse them, especially if they're moving around a lot.

LoyalFan
4/13/2007, 02:50 PM

So, yer sayin' women and crows share a certain characteristic?
Who'da thunked it?

LF

mdklatt
4/13/2007, 03:04 PM
but probably the easiest way to tell (especially if it's flying) is by the shape of its tail.

The only time we see him he's either walking (and his tail isn't spread) or he's flying too fast to get a good look at.

If I saw a raven and a crow side by side I could tell them apart by size, and if I knew what either of them sounded like I would know what this one was for sure. It looks like he has a raven beak. Now that we've actually seen it next to a hawk we're pretty sure it's the size of a hawk, and thus is a raven.

jk the sooner fan
4/13/2007, 03:05 PM
i thought the crow flies at nite?

OSUAggie
4/13/2007, 03:09 PM
Caw! Caw! = Crow

mdklatt
4/13/2007, 03:11 PM
Caw! Caw! = Crow

It sort of sounds like that, but what does a raven sound like?

Mjcpr
4/13/2007, 03:13 PM
It sort of sounds like that, but what does a raven sound like?

It's more of a Cawh! Cawh!

OSUAggie
4/13/2007, 03:14 PM
I don't know that I've ever seen a raven around here...

But they tend to copy the calls of other birds, like mockingbirds..

mdklatt
4/13/2007, 03:17 PM
I don't know that I've ever seen a raven around here...

I'm 100% city slicker, but it sounds like a crow to me. However, if it is a crow, it's a big muthafuggin crow. Also, it's all by itself. Don't crows usually hang out in groups?

proud gonzo
4/13/2007, 03:19 PM
raven: http://www.shades-of-night.com/aviary/sounds/raven1.wav
crow: http://www.shades-of-night.com/aviary/sounds/crow2.wav

proud gonzo
4/13/2007, 03:21 PM
I'm 100% city slicker, but it sounds like a crow to me. However, if it is a crow, it's a big muthafuggin crow. Also, it's all by itself. Don't crows usually hang out in groups?not necessarily

mdklatt
4/13/2007, 03:28 PM
raven: http://www.shades-of-night.com/aviary/sounds/raven1.wav
crow: http://www.shades-of-night.com/aviary/sounds/crow2.wav

I'll have to listen for the "craven" again, but I'm leaning towards crow--BIG *** crow. I only hear the hawk right now.

proud gonzo
4/13/2007, 03:34 PM
yeah, crow would be my guess. they pester hawks a lot, actually. and they can get frickin' huge