PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see Sportscenter last night?

outuba
4/13/2007, 08:54 AM
They were doing a 6-pack of questions on college football and Number 6 was, "Why is the NCAA concerned with Boise State's Ian Johnson's marriage?"

Apparently if ANY gift is given to him at his wedding (to him OR his wife) then Boise St. will be breaking NCAA violations. ESPN said that Boise St. is BEGGING that no one send anything to Ian Johnson or his wife for his wedding.

OU-HSV
4/13/2007, 09:09 AM
They were doing a 6-pack of questions on college football and Number 6 was, "Why is the NCAA concerned with Boise State's Ian Johnson's marriage?"

Apparently if ANY gift is given to him at his wedding (to him OR his wife) then Boise St. will be breaking NCAA violations. ESPN said that Boise St. is BEGGING that no one send anything to Ian Johnson or his wife for his wedding.
Yeah I caught that last night too. I thought that was pretty stupid that they could get in trouble for that.

starrca23
4/13/2007, 09:15 AM
That sucks. I actually think he is a good guy and was pretty humble after that thing that happened in January.

poke4christ
4/13/2007, 09:25 AM

I understand how easily that could get out of hand, but it still doesn't quite seem right.

Landthief 1972
4/13/2007, 09:29 AM
Leave it to the NCAA to keep ensuring that they are the only ones making money while "protecting" the purity of the game.

SoonerStormchaser
4/13/2007, 09:37 AM
The Boz was right!

NormanPride
4/13/2007, 09:51 AM
That's ****ed up. The NCAA has serious problems.

poke4christ
4/13/2007, 10:09 AM
I guess tomorrow we get to find out how screwed up they really are.

mxATVracer10
4/13/2007, 10:12 AM
I'm guessing this is because he proposed on national TV right? Or are they trying to say that any time a student-athelete gets married they are breaking NCAA violations by receiving wedding gifts from friends and family???

OSUAggie
4/13/2007, 10:13 AM
The NCAA is trying to save his life by encouraging him to not get married in college, and now they're the bad guys?

OU-HSV
4/13/2007, 10:22 AM
The NCAA is trying to save his life by encouraging him to not get married in college, and now they're the bad guys?
I don't think that's what the NCAA is doing here

Boomer_Sooner_sax
4/13/2007, 10:26 AM
If Boise St. is going to get in trouble for it, I suspect that there should be a gift-giving jihad coming from Norman....

OSUAggie
4/13/2007, 10:31 AM
I don't think that's what the NCAA is doing here

I know. Sorry, I forgot the ;)

OU-HSV
4/13/2007, 10:31 AM
I know. Sorry, I forgot the ;)
That's better

TheUnnamedSooner
4/13/2007, 10:51 AM
It's probably to prevent a loop hole for agents or others to give money/gifts to student athletes. If all gifts are legitamate, hopefully there won't be an issue.

SoonerBK
4/13/2007, 11:13 AM
Unless this will result in OU winning the game back in January, I really don't care.

batonrougesooner
4/13/2007, 11:17 AM
I think I'll send him $1000.00. Go Boise!

SoonerLB
4/13/2007, 11:19 AM
If sending him a bucket of s**t will help us get that win back, I'm in! ;)

OSUAggie
4/13/2007, 11:21 AM
Send him a beanie.

Mac94
4/13/2007, 11:36 AM
Do they check what these kids get for Christmas!?!?!? This is getting silly

IronSooner
4/13/2007, 12:31 PM
Do they check what these kids get for Christmas!?!?!? This is getting silly

Absolutely. They also comb through Easter baskets and check to make sure nobody buys these kids any green beer on St Patty's day.

Mile High Sooner
4/13/2007, 12:43 PM
Candle stick holders are always a nice thought...

soonerinabilene
4/13/2007, 12:44 PM
from what they just said on the dan patrick show, ian has to document everything he receives from the COACHES AND ALUMNI, and turn that in, and then any other wedding that those coaches and alumni go to that involves a player, they have to provide the exact same gift or monetary value. Family gifts are not an issue.

OSUAggie
4/13/2007, 01:08 PM
So, theoretically, an alumnus can buy him a car as long as the same alumnus buys a car (of the same value) for every other player that gets married?

OU-HSV
4/13/2007, 02:44 PM
So, theoretically, an alumnus can buy each player on the team a vehicle of their choice as long as USC is the team involved
fixed

OSUAggie
4/13/2007, 02:58 PM
What did USC get away with? Refresh my memory, please.

GoState
4/13/2007, 03:15 PM
Candle stick holders are always a nice thought...

"We're dealing with a lot of **** here." :-)

OU-HSV
4/13/2007, 03:51 PM
What did USC get away with? Refresh my memory, please.
Recently, just to scratch the surface?....The whole Reggie Bush family in that house thing...with a car involved as well I think....and the cash accepted by Reggie, and so on.
Also the questionable contact between Reggie Bush and that top RB recruit from Louisiana.
Also there was something a while back about a booster wrongly buying dinner for recruits or something like that/trying to sway them.
Seems like there's been more than that recently, but all the above was just what was off the top of my head. Seems like those offenses should be just as bad as what happened to Bomar and Quinn. And the Reggie Bush situation should definitely be considered a worse offense considering the dollar value we're talking about w/the cash accepted, supposed suits bought for Reggie, free place to stay for the Bush family and so on.

OSUAggie
4/13/2007, 03:58 PM
Recently, just to scratch the surface?....The whole Reggie Bush family in that house thing...with a car involved as well I think....and the cash accepted by Reggie, and so on.
Also the questionable contact between Reggie Bush and that top RB recruit from Louisiana.
Also there was something a while back about a booster wrongly buying dinner for recruits or something like that/trying to sway them.
Seems like there's been more than that recently, but all the above was just what was off the top of my head. Seems like those offenses should be just as bad as what happened to Bomar and Quinn. And the Reggie Bush situation should definitely be considered a worse offense considering the dollar value we're talking about w/the cash accepted, supposed suits bought for Reggie, free place to stay for the Bush family and so on.

Oh, so the **** that's under federal investigation before the NCAA gets to get their hands on it... They haven't exactly gotten away with it yet.

OU-HSV
4/13/2007, 04:00 PM
Oh, so the **** that's under federal investigation before the NCAA gets to get their hands on it... They haven't exactly gotten away with it yet.
Oh I know...but they probably will get away with it, but you get my point anyways right?

OSUAggie
4/13/2007, 04:07 PM
Yah, I get what you're saying. I just think it's a bit childish to bitch about other schools' perceived wrongdoing and subsequent lack of penalties to date just b/c you're under investigation.

Like the whole "well Johnny did it" attitude... Anyway, just sayin'

fwsooner22
4/13/2007, 04:16 PM
Yah, I get what you're saying. I just think it's a bit childish to bitch about other schools' perceived wrongdoing and subsequent lack of penalties to date just b/c you're under investigation.

Yawn........please stop pretending you matter:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

OU-HSV
4/13/2007, 04:27 PM

Give it a rest....You sure have seemed to have an attitude on here a lot lately.
Seems like you're the one acting childish calling people names on a message board. I'm simply saying USC should get some heat from the NCAA for the sh*t they've had going on too. I never said Bomar or Quinn should've gotten a pass or anything like that.

You want childish? Here ya go......Go back to your sheep farm!

OU-HSV
4/13/2007, 04:36 PM
Oh..and one more thing OSUAggie......at least I have the kahoonas to sign my negspek when I give it out

OSUAggie
4/13/2007, 04:38 PM
What name have I called anyone?

USC will get heat when the NCAA has a chance to actually go after them (you know, after the federal investigation and ****). It's hard to fathom why that's so difficult to understand.

You know, you could help the board and sponsor it to see who may be negging you... Just a thought.

OU-HSV
4/13/2007, 04:41 PM
What name have I called anyone?

USC will get heat when the NCAA has a chance to actually go after them (you know, after the federal investigation and ****). It's hard to fathom why that's so difficult to understand.

You know, you could help the board and sponsor it to see who may be negging you... Just a thought.
This may be hard...because it was a couple of posts ago...but you called me childish.
Thanks...if you've been around long enough you'd know that I was a sponsor...i just haven't renewed it yet. You could help the board and leave...there's a thought.

OSUAggie
4/13/2007, 04:43 PM
I said the "well Johnnie did it" attitude is childish, not you.

OU-HSV
4/13/2007, 04:48 PM
Ummm...okay. Well, here's your exact quote. Anyone with half a brain could read that and understand it as I did. You are referring to me saying I was bitching and therefore you're calling me "a bit childish".

OSUAggie
4/13/2007, 04:52 PM
Well... I sincerely apologize that you took it that way and that I wasn't more clear. I was referring to anyone (not just an OU fan) that uses that type of retort when broached with the topic... Didn't mean to put it on you specifically, as that's not the way it was intended.

OU-HSV
4/13/2007, 04:58 PM
Well... I sincerely apologize that you took it that way and that I wasn't more clear. I was referring to anyone (not just an OU fan) that uses that type of retort when broached with the topic... Didn't mean to put it on you specifically, as that's not the way it was intended.
Its all good now then

TopDawg
4/13/2007, 05:26 PM
I remember when Sportscenter used to have highlight clips. Those were the good ol days.

Now Sportscenter:the days highlights::MTV:music videos

At least I get ESPNews.

TheUnnamedSooner
4/13/2007, 05:50 PM
heh, just like an aggie to start somethin then not back it up.

Seamus
4/13/2007, 09:36 PM
You could help the board and leave...there's a thought.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.gif

goingoneight
4/14/2007, 12:24 AM
Someone should send him a "Fluke"-brand voltmeter. :D

goingoneight
4/14/2007, 01:14 AM
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w125/goingoneight/SUC.jpg
Here's the link if you can't read it... (http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w125/goingoneight/?action=view&current=SUC.jpg)

:D

oufan1
4/14/2007, 08:34 AM
heh, just like an aggie to start somethin then not back it up.
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:xsO_NvRIL_yhQM:http://www.dick-blick.com/items/508/11/50811-OA1ww-s.jpg

Its hard for the aggies to back anything up when they have this to show for all those years of playing football:D

goingoneight
4/14/2007, 06:08 PM
They're just keeping it nice and clean for the day. You know... THAT DAY they always talk about. THAT DAY when OSU finally does what they play sports to do. THAT DAY they beat OU for the 17th time. :D

jrsooner
4/15/2007, 03:14 AM
So, theoretically, an alumnus can buy him a car as long as the same alumnus buys a car (of the same value) for every other player that gets married?Incorrect! :)

If I recall correctly the ruling is more like this...

If they played in an NCAA sport as an athlete (graduated or not), and you (alumni/booster/student/etc) purchase something for them simply because they were an athlete, then the school is up for violations. You have to meet a specific standard for being considered a "relationship" that is acceptable to give gifts to the athlete.

stoopified
4/15/2007, 07:09 AM
Do they check what these kids get for Christmas!?!?!? This is getting sillyOf course they do,haven't you heard of the Grinch?

SoonerRoads
4/15/2007, 08:03 AM

THAT is absolutely assinine. The NCAA needs to stick to game regulations and get out of peoples private lives. And if they pursue this particular line of thinking, in all fairness, does that mean that they will have to go back and investigate every single player who has ever gotten married while in college? Give me a break. What was it that Bosworth called them? Maybe he was right?

Just my take.

OKC-SLC
4/15/2007, 07:58 PM
I'm man enough to be honest and admit that I'd have pulled for Boise State vs. anyone other than us in that game.

And that kid seemed like a class act, and made the most of his opportunity in the limelight.

The NCAA sucks all that exists that can be sucked. Except good things.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/16/2007, 09:55 AM

You're in danger of getting some green spek with that comment!! ;)

AimForCenterMass
4/16/2007, 07:57 PM
Guys, I think the NCAA is going a little overboard with this one, but here's the way I see their stance; it's perfectly okay for personal friends and family to give wedding gifts, but they don't want the thousands of BSU fans pitching in just because he is a local hero.

In my mind, we don't need to give him any gifts. Paul Thompson already gave him, and the rest of his team, four.