PDA

View Full Version : Movin to OKC

SoonerTerry
4/12/2007, 11:36 PM
Well, probably Mustang... but close enough.

I just accepted a job working for CAE on the FAA's development sim. Best part about the job that I didn't tell the wife about is now being close enough to Norman that I can take the kid to ALOT of OU FOOTBALL games!!!!!!!

Thought you'd like to know........<<Pink Floyd refrence... if ya get it

Soonerus
4/12/2007, 11:38 PM
Director of OKC FAA lives in Norman, so does assistant director...

olevetonahill
4/12/2007, 11:38 PM
Good on Ya .

Newbomb Turk
4/13/2007, 08:27 AM
good for you Terry. I work at the FAA in OKC. I think you'll like it there.

TUSooner
4/13/2007, 08:29 AM
Yay for you!

usmc-sooner
4/13/2007, 09:19 AM
Mustang has grown a lot since I was a kid but it seems like a nice place to live.

crimson2
4/13/2007, 12:16 PM
Thanks

usmc-sooner
4/13/2007, 12:19 PM
I always wanted to live in one of those big old houses on Chataqua (sp) or close to OU.

stonecoldsoonerfan
4/13/2007, 12:32 PM
I hate to steal a thread, but I just joined the board and am also moving to the area. I'm moving to Norman and am in the process of researching where to live, schools, etc. Any suggestions on good elementary schools? How about nice neighborhoods with a lot of young families and children (I have a 3 and 4 year old). Finally, anyone know anything about daycares? We're looking at one that is at the University.

Re: neighborhoods, we are looking at Summit Lakes and a couple of others in east Norman (Washington Elem). Our search is being done solely based on house listings and looking at photos on google maps. We'll take a house hunting trip in 2 weeks. Any other areas at which we should look? Opinions on the better elementary schools in Norman?

Feel free to post or pm me. I'll take all the help I can get.

check your private messages.

sooner_born_1960
4/13/2007, 12:45 PM
In which building do all you guys work? ANF-2 here.

Newbomb Turk
4/13/2007, 02:17 PM

I just moved to the ASR-11 building.

OUHOMER
4/13/2007, 05:32 PM
Welcome to Mustang home of the broncos. Been in these parts going for over 40 years. Yes it has changes over the years, its not the same as when i was a wee lad. But still a nice place

SteelClip49
4/14/2007, 02:04 AM
Mustang aka the Teen Pregnancy Capital of the World....Oh it's a city definitely with a vision.

All in all Mustang, Yukon, Piedmont and west OKC is developing like mad crazy. Great places to live and not a lot of congestion.

goingoneight
4/14/2007, 02:54 AM
:( now you get to make fun of me for living in stinkin' Tulsa. :D

BigRedJed
4/14/2007, 11:19 AM
...All in all Mustang, Yukon, Piedmont and west OKC is developing like mad crazy. Great places to live and not a lot of congestion.
That's exactly what they said about Edmond and Norman 10-15 years ago. Good luck with the whole ''not a lot of congestion'' thing out there in the 'burbs.

BigRedJed
4/14/2007, 11:25 AM
My point is only that ''developing like mad crazy'' and ''not a lot of congestion'' eventually become mutually exclusive. Don't ever locate in the 'burbs to avoid congestion and believe that it will stay that way. If you want to be able to get around town quickly and easily, move to the center of the city. If you want to totally avoid congestion, move to the country or a for-real small town. of course, you'll still have a lousy commute if you work in the city.

OUHOMER
4/14/2007, 12:53 PM
Mustang aka the Teen Pregnancy Capital of the World....Oh it's a city definitely with a vision.

All in all Mustang, Yukon, Piedmont and west OKC is developing like mad crazy. Great places to live and not a lot of congestion.

Your post ****ed me off. where do you get your stats on teen pregnancy. give me a link.:mad: :mad: :mad:
As far as congestion, It is starting to get congested, try driving into Mustang/Yukon between 5 and 6 pm.

SteelClip49
4/14/2007, 11:14 PM
oh please, my former roommate said when he was in high school everytime he turned around there was a big belly. It's not a new thing.

OUHOMER
4/15/2007, 09:19 AM
Well, I am calling BS on this. Both my kids and nieces and nephews have graduated from Mustang. Between knowing all of their friends, coaching sports, I have met a great deal of young men and women in the area. I can say not all were angels by any means, but to come to this forum NEG my community saying this is the Teen Pregnancy Capital of the World is BS and I take offence to it. So I am going to do some research for you.

From the Oklahoma Dept. of Health
County total births teen births
Tulsa 8068 446
Okla 9886 615
Pottawat 811 63
Canadian 991 65
Muskogee 993 88
Cleveland 2252 97
Commanche 2024 108
Grady 601 31

PrideTrombone
4/15/2007, 09:29 AM
I always heard that it was El Reno. :)

Viking Kitten
4/15/2007, 09:34 AM
I always heard Shawnee, but if I'm doing the math right in my head, it looks like Pott County is now second banana to Muskogee County. Slackers.

OUHOMER
4/15/2007, 09:51 AM
I am sorry folks, but his statement just hit me wrong. I should have just neg'ed him and moved on.

Viking Kitten
4/15/2007, 09:51 AM
Let me give you my perception of Mustang, based on having lived there for most of the 90s and having close family ties there now. Mustang is a nice place to live if you are white, Republican, culturally sort of blue collar, and have a little money. There are lots of nice people there, lots of nice teenage girls who don't get pregnant. There's nothing wrong with Mustang. It's just not the most diverse place on the face of the planet.

It is really easy to get to Norman from Mustang now though. I wish that damn turnpike had been open when I was commuting to OU.

OUHOMER
4/15/2007, 09:55 AM
Let me give you my perception of Mustang, based on having lived there for most of the 90s and having close family ties there now. Mustang is a nice place to live if you are white, Republican, culturally sort of blue collar, and have a little money. There are lots of nice people there, lots of nice teenage girls who don't get pregnant. There's nothing wrong with Mustang. It's just not the most diverse place on the face of the planet.

It is really easy to get to Norman from Mustang now though. I wish that damn turnpike had been open when I was commuting to OU.

I could agree with that. Except I don't have any money:mad: :D

OUHOMER
4/15/2007, 09:58 AM
He just should not have come in here with a general statement like that. It was not called for and was not needed.

Cam
4/15/2007, 10:03 AM

That seems to be a pretty fair description from what I've seen the last couple of years. I think the newer sub-divisions are much more diverse than the heart of Mustang.

RiddlerOK
4/15/2007, 11:00 AM
That is true. It's also just a matter of time before they develop all the way south to Mustang from I-40. Let's see if the turnpike loop gets finished then.

SoonerTerry
4/15/2007, 11:48 PM

When ya go thru the security checkpoint on McAurthur its the first building on the left.....

Newbomb Turk
4/16/2007, 11:39 AM
When ya go thru the security checkpoint on McAurthur its the first building on the left.....

That would be Academy Headquarters.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/16/2007, 12:55 PM
I hate to steal a thread, but I just joined the board and am also moving to the area. I'm moving to Norman and am in the process of researching where to live, schools, etc. Any suggestions on good elementary schools? How about nice neighborhoods with a lot of young families and children (I have a 3 and 4 year old). Finally, anyone know anything about daycares? We're looking at one that is at the University.

Re: neighborhoods, we are looking at Summit Lakes and a couple of others in east Norman (Washington Elem). Our search is being done solely based on house listings and looking at photos on google maps. We'll take a house hunting trip in 2 weeks. Any other areas at which we should look? Opinions on the better elementary schools in Norman?

Feel free to post or pm me. I'll take all the help I can get.

Watch out for homes built in the mid eighties through the mid 90s. The oil boom and bust may have some shoddy construction around those times.