PDA

View Full Version : little quip about Demarco

picasso
4/12/2007, 11:03 PM
unfortunately I did not get to make the spring game this season but as I was driving along and listening to the pregame talk on Tulsa radio, Al Jerkins made an interesting statement. he said he asked Schmidt who the strongest player on the team was, pound for pound. Schmidt said it was Murray.:eek:

of course just as I was listening closer, Al's sidekick (must have been an oSu knob type) started in about the same thing being true for Dantranius Savage.:rolleyes:

OU-HSV
4/12/2007, 11:06 PM
Speaking of strength. Did anyone else hear Bob Davie and crew say that Gut benches like (a current running back best) 425 Lbs. That's insane.

goingoneight
4/12/2007, 11:17 PM
Gute is a pimp... I really hope he stays at OU and coaches or something since he's not really NFL material. He's just a special person. The kind of guy whose team has been drowned in controversy, and he still shakes hands and smiles, even in defeat. Great with kids and charities, too. Reminds me of Josh Heupel in his time as a player.

picasso
4/12/2007, 11:21 PM
Speaking of strength. Did anyone else hear Bob Davie and crew say that Gut benches like (a current running back best) 425 Lbs. That's insane.
that's a ton of weight. but I think the pound for pound thing goes beyond bench and squat maxes.

snp
4/12/2007, 11:39 PM
Gute is a pimp... I really hope he stays at OU and coaches or something since he's not really NFL material. He's just a special person. The kind of guy whose team has been drowned in controversy, and he still shakes hands and smiles, even in defeat. Great with kids and charities, too. Reminds me of Josh Heupel in his time as a player.

Gute is going to be successful in whatever he does, in football or otherwise.

goingoneight
4/12/2007, 11:46 PM
When I see Gute on TV, he reminds me of JD Runnels, until he stands up next to someone else, that is. :D Not necessarily me thinking he's a FB (he'd have to add another Gute for that :D), just sayin' that's who he reminds me of. But nevertheless, same running style, stocky (spelling?), catches passes well.

picasso
4/13/2007, 12:16 AM
Stoops on Murray: "he's put together in a great way..."

:D

goingoneight
4/13/2007, 12:22 AM
Stoops further on Murray: Ya know, I think in all honesty today that we just came out and got at it. Again, we were just really physical and I liked it a lot, and ya gotta look at guys like DeMarco who're just ya know... givin' it all from day one... lookin' good early on... in the end, I feel he's put together a good spring; and again, he's just a special player who's gonna make some plays this year if he continues to work hard.

Excuse me Stewardess, I speak Stoops: He said DeMarco was good in practice today and even when the team plays well, DM is a stud. He would also like to add that the nameplates are looking pretty impressive this Spring, as well.

OU-HSV
4/13/2007, 09:15 AM
that's a ton of weight. but I think the pound for pound thing goes beyond bench and squat maxes.
Oh I know the pound for pound goes beyond those two. I just mentioned it cause I thought it was nuts and since you were talking about pound for pound it was a good fit. :O

OU-HSV
4/13/2007, 09:20 AM
I agree 100%

usmc-sooner
4/13/2007, 09:24 AM
I'd say pound for pound it would be Gute but Schmidt knows more about them than I do. For a 5-6 guy to lift what he does is amazing.

Landthief 1972
4/13/2007, 09:36 AM
I'd say pound for pound it would be Gute but Schmidt knows more about them than I do. For a 5-6 guy to lift what he does is amazing.

Actually, it's a little easier for the short guys to lift heavier weights, because they have shorter arms, therefore, they don't have to push the weight up as high as the long-armed guys. We had a guy in high school who had arms like a couple of flippers on a sea otter, and when he'd bench press, it was basically a 5-7 inch bounce.

But maybe Gute's got longer arms. [shrug] It's still damned impressive. I never benched more than 250 in my "prime." (Then again, I had coach Kelly Jobe for a weight room instructor instead of Schmitty. Nothing like watching Jobe spend the whole time hiding in his office with the basketball players shooting the breeze.)

OU-HSV
4/13/2007, 09:44 AM
Actually, it's a little easier for the short guys to lift heavier weights, because they have shorter arms, therefore, they don't have to push the weight up as high as the long-armed guys. We had a guy in high school who had arms like a couple of flippers on a sea otter, and when he'd bench press, it was basically a 5-7 inch bounce.

But maybe Gute's got longer arms. [shrug] It's still damned impressive. I never benched more than 250 in my "prime." (Then again, I had coach Kelly Jobe for a weight room instructor instead of Schmitty. Nothing like watching Jobe spend the whole time hiding in his office with the basketball players shooting the breeze.)
Short arms/long arms....it's still 425 Lbs though. But we had some guys like that growing up too and they always seemed to bencha ton, so I know what you're saying

picasso
4/13/2007, 09:59 AM
yep, true about short limbs and bench press. not taking anything away from Gute here.
you have to throw into the mix that DM is explosive as he is strong and fast. I heard them talking about his prowess in basketball also. kind of like Lendy Holmes. we're talking agility and vertical leaping type stuff.

OU-HSV
4/13/2007, 10:06 AM
yep...I think DM will prove to be yet another great recruiting job by Bob Stoops' staff. He's going to be another Sooner stud IMO

SoonerSinger3
4/13/2007, 12:30 PM
I hate to make predictions for players who have yet to play a down of college football, but I think Demarco will for sure be an All-American and possibly a Heisman Winner. Of course he needs to stay healthy and his work ethic has to be AD like, but this kid has astounding vision and his cuts are so quick. Some people have compared him to Reggie Bush, but I disagree. He reminds me more of Darren McFadden at Arkansas. They are both built about the same, fast as hell, and they both have amazing cuts. Allen Patrick is an excellent back, but Murray is going to get alot of snaps coming this fall. I like this team because with Patrick, Brown, Murrary, and whoever else, our running game should be stellar. With that being said, whoever the QB will be they won't have to do a whole lot except be efficient. They don't need to throw for 3,000+ yards and 40 TD's...If we stay somewhat healthy, I think we can beat everyone on our schedule..Bob Davies even said "OU is my surprise team to win the national title." Bob Davies is also one of the smarter broadcasters too. Anyways until the season starts enjoy baseball, horrible NBA..HAHA

Seamus
4/13/2007, 01:13 PM
I agree with the point on the backs -- I suspect with so many RBs* hitting the field, it's going to be much more difficult for defense to key like thay did on AD. I bet our offensive production is way up this season, primarily because of a less-predictable running game, as well as backs actually coming out of the backfield to catch passes. Now, if we can just discover the tight ends ...

*Running backs, not Rh--- Bo---'s :O

OU-HSV
4/13/2007, 02:38 PM
I hate to make predictions for players who have yet to play a down of college football, but I think Demarco will for sure be an All-American and possibly a Heisman Winner. Of course he needs to stay healthy and his work ethic has to be AD like, but this kid has astounding vision and his cuts are so quick. Some people have compared him to Reggie Bush, but I disagree. He reminds me more of Darren McFadden at Arkansas. They are both built about the same, fast as hell, and they both have amazing cuts. Allen Patrick is an excellent back, but Murray is going to get alot of snaps coming this fall. I like this team because with Patrick, Brown, Murrary, and whoever else, our running game should be stellar. With that being said, whoever the QB will be they won't have to do a whole lot except be efficient. They don't need to throw for 3,000+ yards and 40 TD's...If we stay somewhat healthy, I think we can beat everyone on our schedule..Bob Davies even said "OU is my surprise team to win the national title." Bob Davies is also one of the smarter broadcasters too. Anyways until the season starts enjoy baseball, horrible NBA..HAHA
I don't see DM and McFadden being so similar. Both are quick as you said and have good cuts, but McFadden seems to be a little larger than DM. Also, I'm guessing DM will be getting a lot of plays as a slot back and catching a lot of passes. Something I don't think they've used McFadden a whole lot for.
But both of those guys are hella athletic, that's for sure.

SoonerRoads
4/15/2007, 02:00 PM

Talk about the epitome of ideal attitude......they broke the mold when they made this kid. He should be the "standard" by which all others are measured by in terms of committment, attitude and character. Imagine having the entire team be like him? That young man will have many good things come his way and deservedly so.

Just my take.

picasso
4/15/2007, 04:19 PM
I don't see DM and McFadden being so similar. Both are quick as you said and have good cuts, but McFadden seems to be a little larger than DM. Also, I'm guessing DM will be getting a lot of plays as a slot back and catching a lot of passes. Something I don't think they've used McFadden a whole lot for.
McFadden is taller but he's got small legs. I also think both he and AP are faster in the open field than Murray. we shall see, he's definitely got great vision.

boomermagic
4/16/2007, 10:19 AM
I am so excited to see what Demarco does this season. I heard Bob Davie say He has 4.4 3 speed and he has looked great so far. I know we will miss AD but Demarco might take some of the sting out of that for us.

TripleOption14
4/16/2007, 12:52 PM
Not to dog on Gutes or anything like that but speaking as someone who is working towards becoming and strength and conditioning coach the bench press is one of the most overrated lifts of all-time. As I said not to dog on Gutes because 425lbs. is 425lbs. but the problem is the bench press is not a very functional lift. How many times on the field is someone gonna be right in front of you and just stand there waiting to be pushed around? Almost never. If ones wants a TRUE indicator of how badass a player is in the weightroom all you have to do is look and see how much that certain player can:

1. Clean and Jerk (or just power clean)
2. Squat
3. Power Snatch

If the player can clean over 300lbs. you got yourself strong and more importantly explosive player.

If the player can Squat over 450lbs. You got yourself a strong player. Squats are very functional when it comes to football.

If the player can Snatch over 260-280lbs. You got yourself a strong player.

Mjcpr
4/16/2007, 12:55 PM
Power Snatch.

the dude
4/16/2007, 12:57 PM
I am so excited to see what Demarco does this season. I heard Bob Davie say He has 4.4 3 speed and he has looked great so far. I know we will miss AD but Demarco might take some of the sting out of that for us.
Same here. And like others have said, i bet he gets a lot of reps. Especially with a new QB. Having somebody like DM who not only runs well, but also catches well could really help out. I can see him becoming somewhat of a safety net - always being close by in case nobody else is open down field. Maybe a two-back set with AP and lots of play action.

TripleOption14
4/16/2007, 01:40 PM
Power Snatch.

I know I know. The names of the lifts are ridiculous!!! :D

Desert Sapper
4/17/2007, 04:38 PM
Not to dog on Gutes or anything like that but speaking as someone who is working towards becoming and strength and conditioning coach the bench press is one of the most overrated lifts of all-time. As I said not to dog on Gutes because 425lbs. is 425lbs. but the problem is the bench press is not a very functional lift. How many times on the field is someone gonna be right in front of you and just stand there waiting to be pushed around? Almost never. If ones wants a TRUE indicator of how badass a player is in the weightroom all you have to do is look and see how much that certain player can:

2. Squat
3. Power Snatch

If the player can clean over 300lbs. you got yourself strong and more importantly explosive player.

If the player can Squat over 450lbs. You got yourself a strong player. Squats are very functional when it comes to football.

I agree. Clean and Squat are the most important lifts in football. Explosive players that can get off the ball fast and get the first 5-10 yards at near top speed, then break leg tackles are highly successful.

They didn't release squats after the winter testing, but here is the Clean top 5:

Power Clean
350 - FB Matt Clapp
340 - DE Auston English
340 - TE Joe Jon Finley
330 - DB Brian Jackson
330 - DE Pryce Macon

Gute has a lot of the same characteristics as Q. Q's greatest asset was his powerful lower body and his explosion through the hole. I don't know what Gute squats, but he is one strong little hard working guy with a great attitude. He is the ambassador of OU football. The guy we always want out front. He's just so positive. I'm proud of him for everything he's done and I can't wait to hear more great news about this great Sooner.

humblesooner
4/18/2007, 11:00 AM
[QUOTE=Desert Sapper]

They didn't release squats after the winter testing, but here is the Clean top 5:

Power Clean
350 - FB Matt Clapp
340 - DE Auston English
340 - TE Joe Jon Finley
330 - DB Brian Jackson
330 - DE Pryce Macon

QUOTE]

For those of us not up on lifting terminology, is the Power Clean the lift that goes from resting on the thighs to overhead in one motion?

Also is Power Snatch just like the dead lift from the floor to the thighs? (You can answer in a couple of days when all the Power Snatch comments subside.) :)

RedstickSooner
4/18/2007, 04:16 PM
He has 4.4 3 speed .

I dunno if running the 3 meter dash in 4.4 seconds is really all *that* impressive.

:)

MissouriSooner
4/18/2007, 10:45 PM
DM's built more like - and runs more like - Arkansas' other stellar back, Felix Jones. Smaller than McFadden, but quick as greased lightning. And with two RB threats in the game at the same time, SEC teams weren't able to key on McFadden so much, which opened up Arkansas' offense a little more. Hopefully, the Sooners will use the same multi-back scheme to prevent stacking defenses.

Blues1
4/18/2007, 11:56 PM
DM's built more like - and runs more like - Arkansas' other stellar back, Felix Jones. Smaller than McFadden, but quick as greased lightning. And with two RB threats in the game at the same time, SEC teams weren't able to key on McFadden so much, which opened up Arkansas' offense a little more. Hopefully, the Sooners will use the same multi-back scheme to prevent stacking defenses.

Every time I mention a two back offense 90% of the posters on here say it won't happen -- But - I would think breaking in a new QB this year and with all our experence and talent at RB IF it's ever going to happen..?? - Then the first four games of 07 Could be the Time --- JMHO

R'

goingoneight
4/18/2007, 11:58 PM

It all comes down to the QB for us. We have ridiculous talent at TE, RB, WR and OL. OUr FB's aren't too shabby, either. In fact, Brody Eldridge is pretty good as a blocking FB from what I've watched of him. The problem we'll probably see is uneven distribution of the ball. As in, running Power-I, running AP to death unless someone just steps up and delivers the message to KW and Stoops that there is somethign else we can do with all of theis talent. Remember when AD first started playing for us, how he got most of his snaps in the shotgun? That changed awful quickly after the RRS 2004, didn't it?

TripleOption14
4/19/2007, 06:27 AM
For those of us not up on lifting terminology, is the Power Clean the lift that goes from resting on the thighs to overhead in one motion?

Also is Power Snatch just like the dead lift from the floor to the thighs? (You can answer in a couple of days when all the Power Snatch comments subside.) :)

No, what you described is the "Hang" Snatch. The "Power" Clean is all the way from the floor to resting on the front part of your traps under your neck in one explosive movement. You see many individuals doing "Hang" Cleans instead of "Power" Cleans. However, the purpose is the same. I just like Power Cleans in a testing phase of a program because it enables the lifter to get a little more momentuem as well as recruit other muscles to successfully execute the lift.

If you remember when Tommie Harris was in the draft and they showed clips of him in the weightroom where he was just "man-handling the weight." as ESPN said :D He was doing Hang Cleans at 225lbs. That guy was amazingly strong and more important explosive. But hey, i guess thats why he is arguably the best DT in the game today. :D I hope he comes back at full strength next year.

OU-HSV
4/19/2007, 07:03 AM
Every time I mention a two back offense 90% of the posters on here say it won't happen -- But - I would think breaking in a new QB this year and with all our experence and talent at RB IF it's ever going to happen..?? - Then the first four games of 07 Could be the Time --- JMHO

R'
There's not a doubt in my mind we'll be rotating RBs this year.
There's probably not one RB on our roster who has the endurance throughout a WHOLE game like AD had. That's not doggin on any of them, it's just showing how solid of an athlete AD is. I remember a game from last season (after AD was injured), when they interviewed AP after he had the majority of the carries and they basically asked him if he was tired from carrying so many times in that particular game, and he said he got a little bit tired/winded in the second half. Then they continued to talk about how AD's endurance. So I'm thinking AP gets the majority of the carries, but we'll be rotating CB, DM, JG and MM all in throughout the game. With DM for sure getting a lot of catches from the slot. Eventually one of the backups we'll step up and probably get more carries than the other backups on a regular basis, but that's going to take a few games to see who that guy will be. Just my take on the RB situation.

snp
4/19/2007, 12:05 PM

R'

If you're referring to 2-backs in the backfield, how many times did you see it last year? 0.

Stoops said many times he doesn't like to run that offense because it brings an extra tackler into the box.

But next year looks to be different:

"This year, we are going to have two tailbacks on the field in a lot of different formations and sets personnel-wise. We are going to have DeMarco out at receiver quite a bit and we are going to use Mossis Madu as a receiver. Then we are going to keep Chris Brown and Allen Patrick in the backfield.

oupride
4/22/2007, 09:44 AM
No one has mentioned Mosis Madu? Where will he be? Anybody know? There is so much talent on this team the potential is promising. Could it be at this point QB is our weakest position? What an interesting thought/question huh?

melbitoast
4/22/2007, 10:18 AM
I know I know. The names of the lifts are ridiculous!!! :D

So if the lift is done perfectly......is it a clean snatch?

melbitoast
4/22/2007, 10:26 AM
If you're referring to 2-backs in the backfield, how many times did you see it last year? 0.

Stoops said many times he doesn't like to run that offense because it brings an extra tackler into the box.

But next year looks to be different:

Not to undermind Stoops, but if they bring in an extra 'backer into the box to match up against DM...lights out, game over. If they bring a DB to match up, you could either utilize one back as a lead block or man-handle him with a TE.

JMHO

OU_Sooners75
4/22/2007, 03:11 PM

Not sure if you did any research or not...but here is their personal stats...

McFadden:
Ht: 6-2 Wt: 205

Murray:
Ht: 6-0 Wt: 195

Not a helluva lot of difference in size.
The biggest difference I see, Murray is a RFr. McFadden is a Junior.

OU_Sooners75
4/22/2007, 03:13 PM

2. Squat
3. Power Snatch

This isnt the stats you use for everyone though. Some body frames will not allow that much weight to be lifted.

OK2LA
4/22/2007, 04:55 PM
Stoops further on Murray: Ya know, I think in all honesty today that we just came out and got at it. Again, we were just really physical and I liked it a lot, and ya gotta look at guys like DeMarco who're just ya know... givin' it all from day one... lookin' good early on... in the end, I feel he's put together a good spring; and again, he's just a special player who's gonna make some plays this year if he continues to work hard.

Excuse me Stewardess, I speak Stoops: He said DeMarco was good in practice today and even when the team plays well, DM is a stud. He would also like to add that the nameplates are looking pretty impressive this Spring, as well.

Heh. Found me a new sig