PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here a lifeguard?

BOOMERBRADLEY
4/12/2007, 09:37 PM
Or have ever been one? Or even know one?

I have to take a water safety instructor class starting tomorrow for 3 hrs credit so I can graduate in May. I have to tread water for two minutes and swim 500 yards...Is that as difficult as it sounds?

SicEmBaylor
4/12/2007, 09:39 PM
I was a lifeguard, taught swim lessons, and co-coached. I also had my WSI but I let all of that expire.

SicEmBaylor
4/12/2007, 09:40 PM
And no, I didn't think it was hard..it can be tiring of course but I swam competitively for 10 years and trained every day.

It kind of depends on how in shape you are I suppose. I'd jump into the water and practice a little bit.

SicEmBaylor
4/12/2007, 09:41 PM
Also, are you sure this is 500 yards and not 500m?

BOOMERBRADLEY
4/12/2007, 09:44 PM
I'm not sure about the length of the swim, I run 3 miles everyday except for Saturdays...Does that count?

I think I can swim fairly well, I think I just need to get the proper technique

SicEmBaylor
4/12/2007, 09:47 PM
I'm not sure about the length of the swim, I run 3 miles everyday except for Saturdays...Does that count?

I think I can swim fairly well, I think I just need to get the proper technique

Well, I'm a long distance swimmer. It's harder for sprinters I think. As long as I get into some sort of rythum I can tread and swim for a considerable amount of time.

I can't speak for what it's like for everyone, but to me the treading water is far harder than the actual swimming. My lower back sort of starts to ache after awhile and it seemingly takes more and more effort to stay up.

The tendency among some is to really start thrashing away when you're treading water, but seriously it doesn't take all that much effort to stay up. Do the minimum amount of work to stay afloat and don't panic and start thrashing because that just makes the situation worse. Move your legs, feet, and hands in a circular motion.

I assume they let you use your hands, right? It was a long time ago but it seems like there were times when we had to tread water with a kickboard over our head.

Cam
4/12/2007, 09:49 PM
Do you have to tread holding a 5 pound brick with both hands? If so, it can be tough, but two minutes is nothing.

Practice by putting your hands on the top of your head and treading. Try the scissor and rotate kick and see which one works best for you and go for it. I never could get the scissor kick down, but when I was in shape I could do the rotate kick for quite a while.

SicEmBaylor
4/12/2007, 09:50 PM
Do you have to tread holding a 5 pound brick with both hands? If so, it can be tough, but two minutes is nothing.

Practice by putting your hands on the top of your head and treading. Try the scissor and rotate kick and see which one works best for you and go for it. I never could get the scissor kick down, but when I was in shape I could do the rotate kick for quite a while.

Heh, I forgot about the brick. Geezus...that did get to be pretty rough.

SicEmBaylor
4/12/2007, 09:53 PM
REally, like Cam said...just get in the water and see what technique works best for you. I never liked the scisssor kick either but I'd use it in rescue training (and I suppose actual rescue for that matter).

I'd definitely practice holding the brick above your head, a kickboard, or even just your arms and try to go as long as possible that way. If you don't have to hold the brick or kickboard then you'll be ahead of the game and it'll be that much easier.

BOOMERBRADLEY
4/12/2007, 09:59 PM
Thank you for all the suggestions

spek to sicem & cam

Cam
4/12/2007, 10:01 PM
Oh, if you're fit and have virtually no body fat, the tread is going to be a bitch for ya. When I was a lifeguard I had 2-3% body fat and sunk like a freaking rock. Had to do the brick 3 times before I made it. I thought it was a 5 minute tread, but it's been nearly 20 years since I did it and I've killed a few brain cells since then.

SicEmBaylor
4/12/2007, 10:04 PM
Oh, if you're fit and have virtually no body fat, the tread is going to be a bitch for ya. When I was a lifeguard I had 2-3% body fat and sunk like a freaking rock. Had to do the brick 3 times before I made it. I thought it was a 5 minute tread, but it's been nearly 20 years since I did it and I've killed a few brain cells since then.

I think ours was 2 mins with the 5 lbs brick but that was lifeguard not WSI.
I think the CPR and first aid **** is what I had difficultly with. I had a hard time backboarding 300 lbs guys and getting them out of the water as well!

Cam
4/12/2007, 10:07 PM
Try being the "victim" and getting strapped to the backboard in 50 degree water. They had to stop cause I was turning blue and couldn't stop shivering.

I never did WSI.

SicEmBaylor
4/12/2007, 10:10 PM
Try being the "victim" and getting strapped to the backboard in 50 degree water. They had to stop cause I was turning blue and couldn't stop shivering.

I never did WSI.

Heh, that's pretty bad. They just lost their grip on the board with me and dropped me back into the water.

SoonerStud615
4/12/2007, 10:25 PM
I'm a lifeguard, I finished my training like 2 weeks ago. We only had to swim 300 yards, and that was tough. It doesn't sound awful, but when you're pretty unconditioned, it's tough. That was by far the hardest thing in the class though. It's really not hard to get.

picasso
4/12/2007, 10:26 PM
I drowned a man once.

SicEmBaylor
4/12/2007, 10:29 PM
I'm a lifeguard, I finished my training like 2 weeks ago. We only had to swim 300 yards, and that was tough.

Pfft.

Soonerus
4/12/2007, 10:38 PM
I was on a flight last weekend when on the overhead speaker a call came out for a doctor or nurse on board because a passenger was in trouble...nobody really responded until a young lady across the aisle from me hit her call button...when the stewardess arrived she said she used to be lifeguard...they asked her to come with them to help the passenger...I was was just thinking frickin geeeeeezzzz....the passenger was basically faking IMO and turned out to be a survivor...

olevetonahill
4/12/2007, 11:11 PM
russell . WTF did you just say ? :confused:

Soonerus
4/12/2007, 11:16 PM
russell . WTF did you just say ? :confused:

Just following the lifeguard theme...

tommieharris91
4/13/2007, 02:36 AM

I have to take a water safety instructor class starting tomorrow for 3 hrs credit so I can graduate in May. I have to tread water for two minutes and swim 500 yards...Is that as difficult as it sounds?

If you're in decent shape (run 3 mi/day), 500 yds is pretty easy. In fact, only the stuff you learn may give you trouble. It's not too tough.

I work as a lifeguard at the OU pool. When is your class?

crawfish
4/13/2007, 07:58 AM
Selling shoes
Another loser working in a shopping mall
9 to 5
A slave driver telling me "Get on the ball!"
A crowded store
I kneel before them
Misery beyond compare
Sweaty socks
A lady boxer
What's she got against fresh air?
I want an ocean and some sunscreen lotion
Take me to the beach with a thousand pretty girls in reach

CHORUS
I, I, I wanna be a lifeguard (help, help, help, help)
I, I, I wanna guard your life
I, I, I wanna be a lifeguard (lifeguard, lifeguard)
Hardly any clothes (lifeguard)
Sand between my toes (lifeguard)
White stuff on my nose

Selling shoes
Another loser working in a shopping mall
I'm getting fat
What does it matter?
Nobody cares at all
But next July, I'll say goodbye to every out-of-it, dull-witted fool
Convert their feet into meters, marking distance at the swimming pool
Summer blondes revealing tanlines
I'll make more moves than Allied Van Lines

CHORUS
I, I, I wanna be a lifeguard (be a big man, now... get a great tan, now)
Sitting on my chair (lifeguard)
In the salty air (lifeguard)
White stuff on my nose
I, I, I wanna be a lifeguard (help, help, help, help)
Lounging on the deck (lifeguard)
Whistle 'round my neck (lifeguard)
White stuff in my nose

MamaMia
4/13/2007, 08:54 AM

Thats easy. I can still do that at my age and chubbiness. I spent two summers as a life guard at the Cabana Swim Club in Oklahoma City before it became a highway. Then I was the head life guard at the Dodge City Kansas American Legion until the club manager, who was from Iran, of all places, told me that I was not allowed to have a glass of wine after work because it sent the wrong message. When I quit, they had to close the pool for 2 weeks because nobody knew how to prime the pump but me.

SicEmBaylor
4/13/2007, 10:16 AM
they had to close the pool for 2 weeks because nobody knew how to prime the pump but me.

When I was the head lifeguard for just over a year I kept trying to get my rather good looking co-guard to prime the pump for me, but alas she wouldn't so I had to do it myself.

BOOMERBRADLEY
4/13/2007, 02:16 PM
If you're in decent shape (run 3 mi/day), 500 yds is pretty easy. In fact, only the stuff you learn may give you trouble. It's not too tough.

I work as a lifeguard at the OU pool. When is your class?

My class starts in about 3 hours :D

SicEmBaylor
4/13/2007, 02:32 PM
Don't wear speedos! I was warned.

proud gonzo
4/13/2007, 02:37 PM
Oh, if you're fit and have virtually no body fat, the tread is going to be a bitch for ya. When I was a lifeguard I had 2-3% body fat and sunk like a freaking rock. Had to do the brick 3 times before I made it. I thought it was a 5 minute tread, but it's been nearly 20 years since I did it and I've killed a few brain cells since then.yeah, i've always sucked at treading water, and i've never been able to float very well.

Actually, that's not true--i float very well underwater :rolleyes:

tommieharris91
4/13/2007, 03:15 PM

Hmmm... I gotta be at the pool at 5:00 today...

tommieharris91
4/13/2007, 03:17 PM
Don't wear speedos! I was warned.

Yea, a lot of male swimmers do, and it's not a pretty sight.

SicEmBaylor
4/13/2007, 04:08 PM
Yea, a lot of male swimmers do, and it's not a pretty sight.
Well, I wore speedos when swimming competitively. I did it once when we had to do our long distance swimming and they told me I had to wear a guard suit not my speedo. =(

MamaMia
4/13/2007, 05:58 PM
When I was the head lifeguard for just over a year I kept trying to get my rather good looking co-guard to prime the pump for me, but alas she wouldn't so I had to do it myself.Maybe she didn't want to mess with it. Some of those pumps are very high maintenance.

TopDawg
4/13/2007, 06:12 PM
Try the scissor and rotate kick and see which one works best for you and go for it. I never could get the scissor kick down, but when I was in shape I could do the rotate kick for quite a while.

Yep. I actually went back and forth. Rotate was easier to stay afloat, but my knees would start hurting after a while so I'd switch to scissor kick. And the brick is what makes it tough, not the length of time. If you didn't have to use the brick (so that you could use your hands) it'd be easy to stay up all day.

I was a lifeguard for 3 years and only had to jump in the water once. I rescued two people, but one of them I just grabbed from the side. Little kid (maybe 2 or 3?) was jumping in from the side. I guess his dad thought that since he had a lifejacket on, he would be fine. Well, the kid wanted to do a flip as he was jumping in. I saw him gearing up for it and it was like slow motion yelling "NOOOOOO" as he jumped in. Nailed his head on the gutter and started bleeding profusely. I got there just as he was coming up and reached in and grabbed him under his arms and carried him like you'd carry a wet dog if you were weating a nice suit. Not because he was wet, but because he was bleeding everywhere.

To make matters even better, his parents were going through a divorce and the mom tried to get me involved in the custody battle.

But the time I had to jump in was pretty anti-climactic. I was watching the deep end (same chair as before) and a girl who couldn't swim let go of the rope and drifted just far enough away (toward the deep end) that she couldn't reach it. She started flailing and she was right below my chair. When I jumped in I had to jump over her. I grabbed her, put my feet on the pool floor and grabbed the rope to pull her over. Not exactly the stuff you see in action movies.

SicEmBaylor
4/13/2007, 06:20 PM
I pulled 3-4 out but none of them were serious until a couple of years ago when I wasn't lifeguarding and hadn't in years...

We had this retreat in Concan, TX and were floating down the Frio river. There's this island in the middle of the river in this one section just big enough for 3-4 people to get on and lounge around. Well, this redneck family was up there having picnic or something and they had this little girl maybe 3-4 years old.

Well, they weren't watching this little girl AT ALL and she started getting further and further away from her parents in the water. She had those ****ty *** floaty things on her arms, but they came off or something and she started bobbing under the water and was actively drowning (bobbing in and out of the water, choking, not making any sound, etc.).

Her stupid redneck parents were oblivious to all of this so I jumped off my raft and swam out and pulled her out of the water up onto the little island. Well, again, her stupid *** parents didn't seem to care or realize how close she came to drowning and the father had this attitude like, "what are you doing with my daughter and why are you interfering in my business?"

Anyway, ****ty *** parents. I felt bad for the girl.

soonerboomer93
4/13/2007, 08:59 PM
Maybe she didn't want to mess with it. Some of those pumps are very high maintenance.

or she could have figured it was too small to be worth priming...

Cam
4/15/2007, 10:51 AM
I only had to go in maybe once a year when I was a lifeguard. I had to pull a kid up last year during my girls' swim lessons at OCCC. The teacher was about 15 yards away with her back turned and the LG on the deck was chatting up one of the other LG's and didn't see the 3-4 year old girl step off the platform. For some reason, I looked up and saw nothing but hair floating on top of the water. Had to reach in and pull the girl to the side of the pool. The LG on deck came over and was just sort of standing there with his mouth open. I wanted to rip him a new one, but decided it wasn't the right thing to do at the time.