PDA

View Full Version : Clock rules to revert back to normal

OUstudent4life
4/12/2007, 06:02 PM
...per ESPN.

This will be fun, too:

While, this year's changes likely mean games will again be longer, the panel approved several other measures intended to help keep game times closer to 3 hours than 3.

Kickoffs will be made from the 30-yard line, like in the NFL, instead of the 35. That, Halpin said, should ensure more returns and shorter stoppages.

MichiganSooner
4/12/2007, 06:30 PM
Hope this is true. About the clock.

Ash
4/12/2007, 06:32 PM
^^^^me too

goingoneight
4/12/2007, 07:03 PM
Here's an idea... charge more for commercials, then the money keeps rolling in, and the commercials are cut down on. That, and get rid of all the hour and a half ESPN talking heads who do pregame, first quarter, halftime, third quarter and post-game "analysis." We can watch highlights if we want info on what happened, and we don't need a half-hour skit on a punk kid who got kicked off the team every damn game. And those who actually care about the game either go to it, or watch it from start to finish. Save the B.S. for Sportscenter is MHO.

OU-HSV
4/12/2007, 07:21 PM
Kickoffs will be made from the 30-yard line, like in the NFL, instead of the 35. That, Halpin said, should ensure more returns and shorter stoppages.
This part doesn't even make any sense. I mean it seems like there will be better chances to return kicks back for tds w/a shorter field, or at least have long returns....and if not that, then offenses will possibly score quicker....and we all know what a touchdown does.......stops the clock! I guess I'm still confused as to who gives a sh*t if a game runs long other than these weirdos making the changes. JMHO

Widescreen
4/12/2007, 08:19 PM
It think they just mean that the touchback clock stoppage will be far less frequent.

TopDawg
4/12/2007, 09:22 PM
The clock rule is around for just one year, and it probably kept AD from breaking the OU record.

SoonerObsession
4/12/2007, 09:48 PM
I like the new kick off rule. I like to see more returns, even if it bites us. If we are better than them, we should stop them. I think it helps the kickers to be more NFL ready also. While we are at it, why not go NFL rules all together? Two feet inside the field of play during a reception is the one I want the most. That's just my opinion.

SoonerStats
4/13/2007, 12:00 PM
The clock rule is around for just one year, and it probably kept AD from breaking the OU record.
That's very possible. It's a stretch, but if you take all the averages, AD would have had 113 more yards, 40 more than Sims.

Seamus
4/13/2007, 12:05 PM
Here's an idea... charge more for commercials, then the money keeps rolling in, and the commercials are cut down on. That, and get rid of all the hour and a half ESPN talking heads who do pregame, first quarter, halftime, third quarter and post-game "analysis." We can watch highlights if we want info on what happened, and we don't need a half-hour skit on a punk kid who got kicked off the team every damn game. And those who actually care about the game either go to it, or watch it from start to finish. Save the B.S. for Sportscenter is MHO.

Word, dat.

101sooner
4/13/2007, 12:05 PM
I never understood why in the heck anyone would want to make a college football game shorter in the first place. I wish they'd try and find ways to make the games longer. There's nothing in the universe that I'd rather do than watch a college football game on a Saturday.

Sooner in the Bluegrass
4/17/2007, 04:23 AM
Yeah, I mean if the game runs longer because, y'know, the game itself-- as in the actual contest being played on the field-- runs longer, then I don't see what the big deal is. Each team gets a set number of timeouts, there's a play clock-- if the game runs past 3 hours, it's rarely because the teams were just standing around, trying to drag things out; it's because of the circumstances of the actual game (team A falls behind and starts throwing on every down, resulting in clock stoppages after incomplete passes, etc-- in any event, the game is still going on. The only thing excessive might be the replay reviews, but everyone [mostly] acknowledges that if you're going to bother to look at the play, it'd be nice to get it right. Plus, the viewers at home can get multiple looks at the replay, so we can know just how much the refs in the Pac-10 suck).

I've never really felt that football had much in the way of excessive stoppages-- something which is decidedly not the case with baseball. If QB1 goes down in the game, after he's helped off the field, we don't get ten minutes of QB2 warming up before play resumes. There are no batters stepping out of the batter's box or calling time whenever they feel like it, no pitchers shaking off one sign after another and no managers and pitching coaches, etc., strolling out to the pitcher's mound to (apparently) pepper the ground with tobacco juice and sunflower seed husks (or even quite deliberately stall so they can get the next pitcher warmed up to replace the guy who is getting shelled). I mean, I like baseball and all, but a great deal of it does not make for particularly riveting TV. There's certainly nothing so egregious about football in the way of stoppages, and tampering with the clock winds up altering things a bit more fundamentally than I'd like.

MamaMia
4/17/2007, 09:22 AM
After the world enduring a century of horrible football, I am so giddy to finally have all these brain child decision makers on the planet. I don't know how the game ever got to be so popular without them. Its a wonder the game has survived.

insuranceman_22
4/17/2007, 11:24 PM
Mama that very well stated....I agree!

MI Sooner
4/19/2007, 11:26 AM
The frequent inability of coaches to adapt to the 2006 clock rules disgraces their profession. I don't know how many times I saw a hurry-up situtation after a punt, and the offense couldn't get the ball snapped when the clock started.

Coaches work grueling hours and many are very sharp, but I would have expected a third grader playing Playstation to pick up on the rules more quickly.