PDA

View Full Version : Imus canned by CBS

swardboy
4/12/2007, 04:30 PM
...and there goes the only liberal mass media voice of any consequence to my knowledge....except for nbc, abc, and cbs.

(CBS/AP) CBS announced Thursday that it has fired Don Imus from his radio program, following a week of uproar over the radio host's racist comments about the Rutgers women's basketball team.

"There has been much discussion of the effect language like this has on our young people, particularly young women of color trying to make their way in this society," CBS President and Chief Executive Officer Leslie Moonves said in announcing the decision. "That consideration has weighed most heavily on our minds as we made our decision."

It is a stunning fall for one of the nation's most prominent broadcasters. Time Magazine once named the cantankerous broadcaster as one of the 25 Most Influential People in America, and he was a member of the National Broadcaster Hall of Fame.

But Imus found himself at the center of a storm after he called members of the Rutgers team "nappy-headed hos" last week. Protests ensued, and one by one, sponsors pulled their ads from Imus' show. On Wednesday, MSNBC dropped the simulcast of Imus' show.

Losing Imus will be a financial hit to CBS Radio, which also suffered when Howard Stern departed for satellite radio. The program is worth about $15 million in annual revenue to CBS, which owns Imus' home radio station WFAN-AM and manages Westwood One, the company that syndicates the show across the country. CBS Corp. is also the parent company of CBSNews.com.

The Rev. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson met with Moonves to advocate Imus' removal, promising a rally outside CBS headquarters Saturday and an effort to persuade more advertisers to abandon Imus.

Sumner Redstone, chairman of the CBS Corp. board and its chief stockholder, told Newsweek that he had expected Moonves to "do the right thing," although it wasn't clear what he thought that was.

The news came down in the middle of Imus' Radiothon, which has raised more than $40 million since 1990 for good causes. The Radiothon had raised more than $1.3 million Thursday before Imus learned that he lost his job.

"This may be our last Radiothon, so we need to raise about $100 million," Imus cracked at the start of the event.

Volunteers were getting about 200 more pledges per hour than they did last year, with most callers expressing support for Imus, said Tony Gonzalez, supervisor of the Radiothon phone bank. The event benefited Tomorrows Children's Fund, the CJ Foundation for SIDS and the Imus Ranch.

Imus, who was suspended by CBS Radio for two weeks without pay beginning next week, was in the awkward situation of broadcasting Thursday's radio program from the MSNBC studios in New Jersey, even though NBC News said the night before that MSNBC would no longer simulcast his program on television.

He didn't attack MSNBC for its decision — "I understand the pressure they were under," he said — but complained the network was doing some unethical things during the broadcast. He didn't elaborate.

He acknowledged again that calling the Rutgers women's basketball players "nappy-headed hos" a day after they had competed in the NCAA championship game had been "really stupid." He said he had apologized enough and wasn't going to whine about his fate.

"I said it," he said. "I wouldn't be here if I didn't say it."

Sharpton and Jackson emerged from a meeting with Moonves saying the corporate chief had promised to consider their requests.

"It's not about taking Imus down," Sharpton said. "It's about lifting decency up."

oklaclarinet
4/12/2007, 04:31 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=2835321

Link to story

Widescreen
4/12/2007, 04:39 PM
The Rev. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson met with Moonves to advocate Imus' removal, promising a rally outside CBS headquarters Saturday and an effort to persuade more advertisers to abandon Imus.
I don't really care what happens to Imus. I never listened to him anyway and know almost nothing about him. But I'm sick of Jesse and Al running around doing shakedowns. How either of them have any credibility remaining is amazing. For these 2 people of all people to grandstand about bigotry is almost more than I can take.

GrapevineSooner
4/12/2007, 04:39 PM
"It's not about taking Imus down," Sharpton said. "It's about lifting decency up."

Boy, that's rich.

I'll know networks truly care about decency the moment they, en masse, refuse to allow this asshat even one second of airtime.

Widescreen
4/12/2007, 04:48 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/04/12/national/main2675273_page2.shtml

Bryan Monroe, president of the National Association of Black Journalists and vice president and editor director of Ebony and Jet magazines, met with Moonves on Wednesday. It seemed clear Moonves and his aides were struggling with a difficult decision, he said. He urged them to take advantage of an opportunity to take a stand against the coarsening of culture.
This has nothing to do with 'taking a stand against the coarsening of culture." Black dudes use these kind of epithets against women and hardly anyone says a word. If this guy was concerned about the coarsening of culture he'd be organizing campaigns to wipe out the horrible and misogynistic language used by many black men against black women. The difference is that this time it's a white guy and that makes it a federal offense.

Personally I wouldn't want anyone who would say these kinds of things working for me regardless of the color of their skin.

C&CDean
4/12/2007, 04:53 PM
I already said one imus thread was enough.