PDA

View Full Version : they say the three most stressful times in a persons life are...

Ike
4/11/2007, 10:43 PM
...getting married, moving, and changing jobs.

We're hitting the trifecta right now....well, except for the getting married part.

So I have been informed (only last weekend) that my wonderful furnished housing at the lab is going to dry up upon my graduation. Apparently due to the fact that they want to keep the on-site housing available for foreign guests and grad students. This wasn't wholly unexpected because when we extended the lease last year, they implied that they'd like me out as soon as I graduate...but we thought we'd try for another because it seemed like requests for housing here had slowed down a bit and if there's less demand, then maybe we could stay here (it's really a whole lot cheaper than living off-site because the lab only cares to break even on the housing. Plus being on federal land such as it is, there is no property tax worked into the rent....the only downside to that is that living here makes a library card cost something like $600 a year.)..so anyway we have to move....we've got a house lined up (after 3 days of looking at about 15 houses) and my wife is packing everything up now while I am writing my defense talk. Im defending (graduating) in a little more than a week, and with comes a change in jobs. I'll still be working here at the lab, but for a different university. Add on to that that my wife is starting a new job on monday. Oh yeah, and the getting married part...well, we aren't getting married again, but we are both part of the wedding party for a wedding that will occur in early may in dallas. So there's your trifecta. All in the span of less than a month.

So our schedule looks something like this for the next month:

This weekend: move, set up utilities blah blah blah.
tuesday: drive to Oklahoma
wednesday: give practice defense talk to advisor/make changes to talk
thursday: make sure that my dissertation conforms to the draconian margining rules of graduate college before I go print it on the fancy paper required for depositing in the library
friday: defend. Deposit dissertation assuming no changes have to be made
Next weekend: Drive back to IL
Apr 28: Throw bachelor party for getting-married-guy.
April 30: Drive to East Lansing to fill out paperwork for new jorb
May 1: Give talk at MSU, drive back to IL
may 3: drive to dallas in rental car (one way so as to pick up U-haul for hauling stored furniture back to IL).
may 4: pick up tux, go to rehearsal and rehearsal dinner.
may 5: appear in wedding
may 6: drive to Oklahoma. Stay with folks till graduation ceremony.
may 11: Get hooded.
May 12 or 13: drive back to IL, with a U-haul to bring back furniture thats been stored at parents/in-laws house for 4+ years. work *** off for next few years.

So yeah, I'm a bit stressed right now.

It would have been nicer if they could have told me about the housing bit at the lab earlier. In the past, they've let me know about the extensions as early as january. We didn't hear anything from them until april. :mad:

life is happening a little faster than I'd like it to.

tommieharris91
4/11/2007, 11:23 PM
At least you have it scheduled.

olevetonahill
4/11/2007, 11:41 PM
Shat
Its #1 getiin married
# 2 having a kid
# 3 gettin Devorced .
Just sayin .

MamaMia
4/11/2007, 11:46 PM
The newlywed sex should take care of any job changing and moving and stress. :)

olevetonahill
4/11/2007, 11:49 PM
The newlywed sex should take care of any job changing and moving and stress. :)
Mom in My experience theres 3 types of Sex
#1 anywhere anytime (1st year )
#2 Bedroom sex (2 to 10 yrs )
#3 Hall sex .
:D

tommieharris91
4/11/2007, 11:59 PM
#3 Hall sex .

I don't want to think about what my parents do while the nest is empty. :eek: :eek:

olevetonahill
4/12/2007, 12:31 AM
I don't want to think about what my parents do while the nest is empty. :eek: :eek:
See my 1st post in this thread .:D

Fraggle145
4/12/2007, 12:39 AM
Apr 28: Throw bachelor party for getting-married-guy.

Boobs always help me think straight. Ahhh the joys of grad school.

That said, they wouldnt let you defend if they werent going to pass you. You are doing great already having a job lined up, and you know how good it is going to feel to have it all done. congrats.

VeeJay
4/12/2007, 08:16 AM
Ike - I feel your pain.

I'm in the middle of going through two of those now (job change and moving).

Plus, my wife and daughters are in FL, and I won't see them for three more weeks.