PDA

View Full Version : I just became aware of the fact that

MamaMia
4/11/2007, 09:01 PM
...my nieces computer class here in Woodward is being taught by some guy who doesn't even have a teaching degree. Can they do that? No wonder she and her friends aren't learning anything new. :(
He is also the softball coach.

Mixer!
4/11/2007, 09:03 PM
...but is he a good softball coach? :pop:

MamaMia
4/11/2007, 09:13 PM
...but is he a good softball coach? :pop:I don't think so.

Are people allowed to teach in the state of Oklahoma without a teaching degree?

Petro-Sooner
4/11/2007, 09:17 PM
Not sure. However, a lot of those with PhD's do a pretty poor job at actual "teaching".

reevie
4/11/2007, 09:18 PM
They probably hired him under the emergency certification thing or something similar. It allows a district to hire someone who doesn't have a teaching degree or certification, but does have some kind of real-world experience to teach the subject. It's a program that was set up primarily to hire math and science teachers, especially at schools that have a harder time finding candidates. I believe there is some restriction on those teachers though, they have a time frame in which they are to get certified.

SicEmBaylor
4/11/2007, 09:18 PM
I don't think so.

Are people allowed to teach in the state of Oklahoma without a teaching degree?

You mean to say he doesn't have a degree in Education? Of course you can teach without actually having a degree in education as long as you have your teaching license.

I'm a huge advocate that high school teachers actually have degrees in the subject they are teaching and NOT a general education degree.

oklaclarinet
4/11/2007, 09:22 PM
Yes you can teach without a teaching degree, but in order to teach you do have to be certified. Those are two separate processes. The certification process is much easier for someone who goes through a recognized College of Ed., but for those who don't there is alternative certification. Regardless, in order to be certified, you have to pass three tests, a general test (OGET), a professional knowledge test (OPTE), and a subject area test (OSAT).

reevie
4/11/2007, 09:26 PM
You can find "how to be a certified teacher" info in Oklahoma at:
http://www.sde.state.ok.us/home/defaultie.htm

tommieharris91
4/11/2007, 09:47 PM
I agree with SicEm. My senior on-level english class was taught by a teacher with a general teaching degree (and an aggie). It was a 1st class, so all it really consisted of was me falling asleep, waking up to correct my teacher's clear grammatical errors on her worksheets that she typed, and then going back to sleep. I didn't read anything for her class, and made a B.

SicEmBaylor
4/11/2007, 09:50 PM
My best teachers in high school were the ones who had degrees in the subjects they were teaching.

sanantoniosooner
4/11/2007, 09:50 PM
There is a balance.

You can be exceptional at teaching students, but not know the material well.

And you can be exceptional at the material and not be able to teach worth a crap.

either extreme sucks for the student.

Rhino
4/11/2007, 09:53 PM
Eh, it's just a computer class. Nowadays, kids know how to use computers when they are three-years-old.

Try learning high school chemistry when its taught by a lady with a home economics degree.

XingTheRubicon
4/12/2007, 09:17 AM
Is his name Jim H?

MamaMia
4/12/2007, 09:25 AM
Is his name Jim H?
No, its something or another P. Do we have a Jim H. too?

stoopified
4/12/2007, 10:53 AM
He should be fited immediately.This is Oklahoma,only non-qualified personnel that are llowed to teach are football coaches ,not softball.Unless of course the coach in question coaches both.:)

Sooner in Tampa
4/12/2007, 11:07 AM
He is probably a MCT...Microsoft Certified Trainer. The teach all the classes at New Horizons here in Florida.

Ike
4/12/2007, 12:50 PM
There is a balance.

You can be exceptional at teaching students, but not know the material well.

And you can be exceptional at the material and not be able to teach worth a crap.

either extreme sucks for the student.
Usually the latter will get better at teaching over time though.

sanantoniosooner
4/12/2007, 12:51 PM
Usually the latter will get better at teaching over time though.
you don't think you learn the material over time by teaching it as well?

Ike
4/12/2007, 12:54 PM
you don't think you learn the material over time by teaching it as well?
maybe...but I didn't say anything about those people. mainly because I don't know any.

sanantoniosooner
4/12/2007, 01:07 PM
maybe...but I didn't say anything about those people. mainly because I don't know any.
Well I'm sure this happens on the elementary level more than any other place.

Which usually means the material isn't super difficult and it wouldn't take long to show mastery of it at that level.

However, learning to be a better teacher isn't a given. Some are just arrogant enough to not realize that you can't use the same technique over and over with every single student and get consistent results. And of course, the some of the most arrogant know the material so well that they couldn't possibly share it on a level that a mortal could understand.

BajaOklahoma
4/12/2007, 05:26 PM
Here, the school is required to inform the parents of any non-certified teachers in their child's classrooms. I think it has to be done within 90 days of the first day they start teaching.

sanantoniosooner
4/12/2007, 05:28 PM
Here, the school is required to inform the parents of any non-certified teachers in their child's classrooms. I think it has to be done within 90 days of the first day they start teaching.

Do they have to post a sign in their yard like child molesters?

Ike
4/12/2007, 05:29 PM
Well I'm sure this happens on the elementary level more than any other place.

Which usually means the material isn't super difficult and it wouldn't take long to show mastery of it at that level.

However, learning to be a better teacher isn't a given. Some are just arrogant enough to not realize that you can't use the same technique over and over with every single student and get consistent results. And of course, the some of the most arrogant know the material so well that they couldn't possibly share it on a level that a mortal could understand.

thats why we give them doctorates and put them in universities instead of high schools. :)

sanantoniosooner
4/12/2007, 05:32 PM
thats why we give them doctorates and put them in universities instead of high schools. :)
Research Professors are the worst.

They only want to be there to work on their research, but they actually have to teach to get their funding. Horrible classes to be in.