PDA

View Full Version : you gotta see this!!! How happy does beating Texas make you?

usmc-sooner
4/11/2007, 06:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD96HQ_6w3M

yeah me and you both, Barry. :D

usmc-sooner
4/11/2007, 07:06 PM
seriously guys this will bring a smile to your face

olevetonahill
4/11/2007, 07:14 PM
Spek to you
Thats funny , and True . :D

OU-HSV
4/11/2007, 07:19 PM
nice

Ash
4/11/2007, 07:30 PM
:D

Petro-Sooner
4/11/2007, 07:31 PM
Whats Barry say? I'm at a computer with no speakers. TIA.

usmc-sooner
4/11/2007, 07:35 PM
He's happier than a pig eating shi&

Rogue
4/11/2007, 08:28 PM
Precious.

soonersnow
4/11/2007, 08:42 PM
This is funny, and Switzer saying it makes it even funnier. Couldn't have said it better myself!

SoonerLB
4/11/2007, 09:09 PM
Oh yeah! Gotta love a man that speaks the truth! :)

Seamus
4/11/2007, 10:57 PM
God, I love the King. What a freaking stud.

Barry > :texan: any day of the week, and twice on Saturday.

insuranceman_22
4/11/2007, 11:06 PM
A true classic from the MAN!

poke4christ
4/11/2007, 11:15 PM
That video really sums up Switzer. 100% oklahoman and openly speaks his mind.

olevetonahill
4/11/2007, 11:29 PM
That video really sums up Switzer. 100% oklahoman and openly speaks his mind.
So do you approve ? or disapprove ?

Harry Beanbag
4/12/2007, 06:25 AM
Having Switzer and Tubbs on campus at the same time for a few years was quite entertaining.

swardboy
4/12/2007, 09:19 AM
Oh for the pre-PC days....

poke4christ
4/12/2007, 09:32 AM
So do you approve ? or disapprove ?

I've never really approved of Switzer. Everything I hear from him tends to make me think he's pretty full of himself. I just don't think he's that good of a person. He's obviously a great coach, but personally I want a coach with a lot of character.

Like I said though, he's 100% oklahoman and it has shown throughout the years. It's why he's back in the state right now. It's his home.

Stoops on the other hand has shown a lot more tact and character. I like him a lot.

Mjcpr
4/12/2007, 09:51 AM
I've never really approved of Switzer. Everything I hear from him tends to make me think he's pretty full of himself. I just don't think he's that good of a person. He's obviously a great coach, but personally I want a coach with a lot of character.

Eddie said what?

stoopified
4/12/2007, 10:18 AM

soonerboy_odanorth
4/12/2007, 10:45 AM

Like I said though, he's 100% oklahoman and it has shown throughout the years. It's why he's back in the state right now. It's his home.

Stoops on the other hand has shown a lot more tact and character. I like him a lot.

I'm sure he is full of himself. But so is Stoops, Gundy, Tressel, Carroll, and the CEO of your company. They have to be. They operate in rarified air that not all of us can handle. That's what makes them "A" type personalities.

But I also think you are completely misreading that man. For all of his bravado and bluster, he has consistently commited acts of humility and human kindness in his relationships with fellow "A" types, players, students, fans, and media people alike.

Has he screwed up? Absolutely. That just makes him a little more like the rest of us.

Seems to me he both is and has a lot of character. That's what makes him endearing.

And you don't think he's that good of a person? Based on what, your personal experiences with him? Or the fact that has had multiple screw ups in his life. You haven't?

Careful the stones you throw there my good Christian.

Tulsa_Fireman
4/12/2007, 10:56 AM
...but personally I want a coach with a lot of character.

Like the ever faithful Les Miles?

Or the ever pure Eddie Sutton?

poke4christ
4/12/2007, 11:50 AM
I'm sure he is full of himself. But so is Stoops, Gundy, Tressel, Carroll, and the CEO of your company. They have to be. They operate in rarified air that not all of us can handle. That's what makes them "A" type personalities.

But I also think you are completely misreading that man. For all of his bravado and bluster, he has consistently commited acts of humility and human kindness in his relationships with fellow "A" types, players, students, fans, and media people alike.

Has he screwed up? Absolutely. That just makes him a little more like the rest of us.

Seems to me he both is and has a lot of character. That's what makes him endearing.

And you don't think he's that good of a person? Based on what, your personal experiences with him? Or the fact that has had multiple screw ups in his life. You haven't?

Careful the stones you throw there my good Christian.

Wonderful response. Maybe I'm not giving him the benifit of the doubt. I don't know him and I haven't talked to him personally. I just see something different in him when I see hear him talk in interviews and various other things. It has nothing to do with his past mistakes because I really don't know that much about them. I haven't bothered to look into them. What's in the past is in the past. It just seems to me like football is all that he really cares about. Could I be completely off base with that? Absolutely, and you are right that I should probably hold my tongue with it.

Something you have to remember though is that there is a difference between being full of yourself and being confident in ones abilities. I consider Stoops, Boone, and Gundy all confident in their abilities, but not full of themselves.

Once again though, this is just my humble opinion based on what I've seen them display publicly, so it's probably only worth the two cents that it is. However, just remember that your thoughts of high character are worth about the same.

soonerboy_odanorth
4/12/2007, 12:08 PM
However, just remember that your thoughts of high character are worth about the same.

I TAKE EXCEPTION TO THAT, SIR! THEY ARE WORTH MUCH LESS! :D

poke4christ
4/12/2007, 12:15 PM
I TAKE EXCEPTION TO THAT, SIR! THEY ARE WORTH MUCH LESS! :D

Holding out hope for posters and fans like you is the reason I still post over here. Thanks man. Your a class act.

OUfan7
4/12/2007, 12:55 PM
You are like a lot of people but if you ever met the man, I feel 100% sure that you could see what we are talking about. He is just magnetic!!!

Harry Beanbag
4/12/2007, 04:50 PM
poke4christ is a close confidante of Barry Switzer

:)

usmc-sooner
4/12/2007, 06:40 PM
Something you have to remember though is that there is a difference between being full of yourself and being confident in ones abilities. I consider Stoops, Boone, and Gundy all confident in their abilities, but not full of themselves.

uh Boone aint a coach and he's a pretty arrogant corporate raider. Gundy can't be full of himself, he's got a losing record as a head coach despite having the most powerful offense in the world. That and he's been fired a lot in his other endeavors.

I find it funny you guys bitch about Switzer, when you've had Jimmy Johnson, Pat Jones, Les Miles, Hart Lee Dykes, Dexter Manley, Eddie Sutton and on and on.

I also find it funny you list your donor ahead of your coach.

You think Boone can buy his way into heaven? Well maybe if God's a Cowboy fan but if he is, you'd think he'd have shown you guys a little more favor.

SoonerObsession
4/12/2007, 09:43 PM
A lot of Pokes don't like Barry Switzer. I doubt it has anything to do with this....

During Barry's time at OU, OU's success against OSU was like this:

15 wins 1 loss
OU scored 555 points to OSU's 209
Average score was 35-13.

I probably wouldn't have liked hime very much either if I was a Poke. ;)

Wishboned
4/13/2007, 03:56 AM
It just seems to me like football is all that he really cares about. Could I be completely off base with that? Absolutely, and you are right that I should probably hold my tongue with it.

You need to read the story that was linked in this post...

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91304

Where this is said...

"It's all your fault," I said to Doug Switzer, one of Switzer's three children, as he stood shirtless while doing some early evening yard work outside the house he owns only a couple of blocks from his father's. Jacob and Luke -- two of Barry's eight grandchildren, all of whom are under the age of eight -- were playing outside as I reminded their father of the tempest caused when Barry, as the Cowboys' coach, routinely blew off the team's Saturday night meetings in order to watch Doug play quarterback for Arkansas-Pine Bluff.

"Everyone made such a fuss," Barry interjected. "I said, 'Hey, I know what coaches do on Saturday nights, and it ain't coaching. I know what bars they go to. It's not like they're up burning the midnight oil.'"

This sentiment, more than anything, is why Switzer came to be vilified in NFL circles: By so conspicuously choosing family over football -- and so cavalierly scoffing at his own perceived impact -- he was demystifying the myth of the 24/7 coach.

From everything I've heard about Switzer, he's a caring man, with a huge heart. That's one of the reasons so many people are so loyal to him.

That and he's the King baby.

crawfish
4/13/2007, 08:04 AM
Wonderful response. Maybe I'm not giving him the benifit of the doubt. I don't know him and I haven't talked to him personally. I just see something different in him when I see hear him talk in interviews and various other things. It has nothing to do with his past mistakes because I really don't know that much about them. I haven't bothered to look into them. What's in the past is in the past. It just seems to me like football is all that he really cares about. Could I be completely off base with that? Absolutely, and you are right that I should probably hold my tongue with it.

Once again though, this is just my humble opinion based on what I've seen them display publicly, so it's probably only worth the two cents that it is. However, just remember that your thoughts of high character are worth about the same.

Switzer isn't that full of himself. He's pretty self-deprecating; which is one of his problems, the media takes those type of comments seriously, and report it as such. His biggest problem (not a problem in my mind) is that he doesn't put on airs for his public persona; he simply is what he is.

BTW, his son Doug is a pretty solid Christian guy. Say what you want about Barry, but he raised some good kids.

poke4christ
4/13/2007, 09:07 AM
Well, I'll definitely take back any negative statements I made. Sorry 'bout that.

StoopTroup
4/13/2007, 01:06 PM
poke...

Your the best aggie poster ever...

You never cease to amaze me...

100% Oklahoman....lol

Switzer is the son of Frank Mays Switzer (b. 1908; d. 1972) and Mary Louise Wood Switzer (b. 1914; d. 1959). Frank Switzer attended the University of Arkansas, and Mrs. Switzer was the valedictorian of her high school class in Crossett, Arkansas. After spending several years with Bethlehem Steel and the U.S. Navy during World War II, Frank Switzer returned to Arkansas in 1945 and attempted to run his father's farm. Unable to earn a decent living for his family as a farmer or in a number of other businesses, Frank Switzer turned to selling untaxed liquor in a dry county in Arkansas, a "bootlegger." Frank Switzer ultimately served prison time on a related conviction that was later overturned.

Frank Switzer was known as progressive in seeking fair treatment for African-Americans in South Arkansas in the 1940s and 1950s. In addition to operating a small loan business with the African-American community at a time when no bank would do business with them, Frank Switzer paid the college tuition for numerous African-American young people in an attempt to provide greater opportunities, and made certain certain that his young sons, Barry and Donald, had African-American playmates.

In 1959 Mary Louise Switzer, suffering from severe depression, committed suicide. Frank Switzer was murdered in 1972 shortly before his elder son became the Head Coach of the University of Oklahoma.

Barry Switzer made Honorable Mention All-American as a high school football player, was granted an appointment to the United States Naval Academy, but, in a choice to remain "closer to home", he accepted an athletic scholarship to the University of Arkansas. He played center and linebacker for two years under Head Coach Jack Mitchell and two years under Head Coach Frank Broyles, completing his eligibility following the 1959 season. After graduation, he did a brief stint in the U.S. Army and then returned to Arkansas as an assistant coach. He worked in that capacity on the Razorbacks' 1964 National Championship team (whose players included Jimmy Johnson, Jerry Jones and Ken Hatfield).

Following the 1966 season, Switzer moved to the University of Oklahoma as an assistant coach under new Head Coach and good friend Jim Mackenzie, who died of a heart attack following spring practice of 1967. Mr. Switzer continued as an assistant under former University of Houston assistant and new Oklahoma Head Coach Chuck Fairbanks. In 1969, he became the Sooners' offensive coordinator during a run of several seasons in which the team set NCAA team rushing records that still stand today. He is often credited by Sooner fans and other major college coaches as having "perfected" the wishbone offense.

When Fairbanks accepted the position of Head Coach of the New England Patriots following the 1972 season, Switzer was the choice to succeed him.

He is one hellava Football Coach and he loves Oklahoma....

I'm 100% positive he loves the fact he Coached the Dallas Cowboys to Super Bowl XXX too....

Just another craw in the whorns side...

I'm sure he 100% enjoyed kicking the carp outta your little school too....:D