PDA

View Full Version : NC Trophy

Petro-Sooner
4/11/2007, 10:21 AM
When did the ncaa start giving that big glass ball to the winner of the NC instead of the traditional wooden plaque thing?

skycat
4/11/2007, 10:29 AM
A couple of years ago, but I think they still give both.

Jimminy Crimson
4/11/2007, 10:44 AM
Isn't the crystal thingamabob from something like the AP or Basketball Writers Assn.?

OSUAggie
4/11/2007, 01:05 PM
The Siemen's trophy, I believe... Or something like that... It's probably been 5 or 6 years, maybe.

TopDawg
4/11/2007, 05:39 PM
FWIW, Wikipedia says:

In the case of the NCAA basketball tournaments, both semifinalists who did not make the championship game receive bronze plated trophies for third place (prior to 1982 the teams played a "consolation" game to deterimine third place). Winning teams maintain permanent possession of these trophies unless it is later found that they were won via serious rules violations. Starting with the 2001 season, the trophies were given an extensive facelift. Starting in the 2007 basketball season, teams that make the Final Four in the Division I tournament receive bronze plated "regional championship" trophies upon winning their Regional Championship. The teams that make the National Championship game receive an additional trophy that is gold plated for the winner and silver plated for the runner-up. Starting in the mid-1990s, the National Champions in men's and women's basketball receive a very elaborate trophy sponsored by Siemens with a black marble base and crystal "neck" with a removable crystal basketball in addition to the standard NCAA championship trophy.

Also, I didn't know this about the ADT trophy:

The winner of the BCS title game also receives the ADT national championship trophy for college football, though—since the NCAA awards no national championship for football—this trophy does not say NCAA as all other college sports national championship trophies do.

Emphasis added. That's the part I didn't know.

skycat
4/11/2007, 05:45 PM
Mid 90s?

Damn, it doesn't seem like it's been around that long.

OSUAggie
4/11/2007, 05:48 PM
Mid 90s?

Damn, it doesn't seem like it's been around that long.

I don't think it has; at least not as the Siemen's Trophy. That's only been around since 2005.

http://www.usa.siemens.com/index.jsp?sdc_rh=null&sdc_flags=null&sdc_sectionid=0&sdc_secnavid=0&sdc_3dnvlstid=&sdc_countryid=194&sdc_mpid=0&sdc_unitid=999&sdc_conttype=2&sdc_contentid=1245827&sdc_langid=1&sdc_pnid=&

skycat
4/11/2007, 05:50 PM
I don't think it has; at least not as the Siemen's Trophy. That's only been around since 2005.

http://www.usa.siemens.com/index.jsp?sdc_rh=null&sdc_flags=null&sdc_sectionid=0&sdc_secnavid=0&sdc_3dnvlstid=&sdc_countryid=194&sdc_mpid=0&sdc_unitid=999&sdc_conttype=2&sdc_contentid=1245827&sdc_langid=1&sdc_pnid=&

I'm suddenly getting an Office inspired chuckle.