PDA

View Full Version : QB transfer

PAW
4/11/2007, 08:58 AM
Wasson will play last season at OU (http://www.star-telegram.com/288/story/64472.html)

Former Southlake Carroll all-state quarterback Chase Wasson is headed to the University of Oklahoma for his final year of eligibility.

Kid wants a ring. :)

The article said he attended the the R/W game. I guess he thinks he has a shot.

Boomer.....
4/11/2007, 09:03 AM
A little late to be jumping into the qb race. Judging by his stats, he sure doesn't seem like much of a thrower. His height will be a problem as well.

PAW
4/11/2007, 09:11 AM
His height will be a problem as well.

I really don't see how that will affect holding a clipboard. ;)

Landthief 1972
4/11/2007, 09:17 AM
Probably hoping to score a grad assistant spot after his eligibility.

OU-HSV
4/11/2007, 09:20 AM
Interesting, but I don't know how promising it will be for him. Maybe he'll be a lot better with the extremely higher level of talent OU has, but these passing numbers from his last season aren't spectacular

He also went 44-of-82 passing for 442 yards with four touchdowns and five interceptions.

CincySooner
4/11/2007, 09:30 AM
the kid wants to be a Sooner... can't fault him for that.

OU-HSV
4/11/2007, 10:21 AM
Good point..but no one is faulting him for that. Maybe he'll come in and give us a wes-welker type player...that'd be cool, have another special teams weapon and give us extra depth at QB maybe.

BASSooner
4/11/2007, 01:42 PM
I remember seeing this guy play in high school. He's one of the reasons why todd doge is at UNT. People down at SLC say that he was the best QB just his only disadvantage is that he's only about 5'10 tall

OU-HSV
4/11/2007, 06:52 PM
Here's a link to this guy's profile on Texas State's website:

http://txstatebobcats.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/wasson_chase00.html

SoonerRoads
4/11/2007, 07:00 PM
Wasson will play last season at OU (http://www.star-telegram.com/288/story/64472.html)

Former Southlake Carroll all-state quarterback Chase Wasson is headed to the University of Oklahoma for his final year of eligibility.

Kid wants a ring. :)

The article said he attended the the R/W game. I guess he thinks he has a shot.

Unless he possesses some yet to be discovered quality, I lean to the side of him being a back-up and going for the Grad Assistant's position. If he couldn't set the world on fire where he was, he more than likely is not going to do it in the Big 12.

Just my take.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/11/2007, 07:29 PM
The only quality I look for is that he can breakdance like Patrick Fletcher

AzianSooner
4/11/2007, 07:30 PM
Bobby Jack Wright might be the first TXState bobcats then Wasson is the second connection to that school

Go Sooner and Go bobcats.

Jdog
4/11/2007, 08:59 PM
I remember seeing this guy play in high school. He's one of the reasons why todd doge is at UNT. People down at SLC say that he was the best QB just his only disadvantage is that he's only about 5'10 tall

You sure you're not thinking of Chase Daniels - the Kid at Mizzou? He was the qb at SLC before before Riley.

SoonerLB
4/11/2007, 09:03 PM
Don't tell anybody, but I think Bob is sneaking in a sleeper receiver, cleverly disguised as a fourth string backup clipboard packin' QB. Just sayin'! ;)

Soonerfan88
4/11/2007, 10:16 PM
He's definitely of the "athlete" type. He could be used as a receiver, KO return, punt return, etc. Maybe he can spell McEachern as holder....

He got the special transfer exemption because he's going to grad school at OU. I would guess he is using it as a chance to learn from the coaching staff. But a BCS bowl & 1-2 championship rings isn't a bad to end your career either. :D

AzianSooner
4/11/2007, 10:30 PM
Could be a secret weapon in trick plays like..... "statue of Liberty" and "Hook and what the hell"

goingoneight
4/11/2007, 10:58 PM
We take up QB's a lot to be deep snappers, maybe that's what he's coming in for. That's what John Nimmo was doign in the scrimmage last week.

mizzOUstu702
4/12/2007, 01:49 AM
Just some fun facts: His dad Hal took over the job at SLC after UNT decided they wanted to play some Dodge-ball--Hal was an assistant for Dodge when his son was there. Before he left, Wasson was coaching future Sooner DE R.J. Washington at Fossil Ridge. Ridge is also where SL got Dodge from. And there's your small world trivia of the day.

OU-HSV
4/12/2007, 07:26 AM
Could be a secret weapon in trick plays like..... "statue of Liberty" and "Hook and what the hell"
heh

Desert Sapper
4/12/2007, 08:26 AM
Maybe it's because he has an undergrad degree now and Tex State doesn't have a grad program he likes? Oh wait, nevermind. I'm leaning toward Wes Welker type additional receiver/return threat. Although judging from the scrimmage on Saturday, we may already have that guy in Carter Whitson. It never hurts to add a sixth QB to the roster who might be able to play at other positions. I wouldn't look for him to start ahead of any of the three front runners for the starting spot. He's probably kidding himself if he thinks he's going to come in and start at QB for OU. It couldn't hurt if he brings some of that SLC mojo (no pun toward the West Tex types intended) with him. That seems to be the sole basis for North Texas' recent head coach hire. This guy may, as someone mentioned, be leaning toward pursuing a grad assistant spot. Who wouldn't want to learn from JH? I welcome his talents to the Sooner family, whatever those talents might be.

Doged
4/12/2007, 09:34 PM
The scoop! From a now-former team mate. Some good, some bad. Take it for what it's worth. Remember it's the opinions of a current Bobcat player who has fared well under the new coaching staff. I've paraphrased all but the one quote.

Personality: Talked a lot of trash, and could sometimes be overly negative, but generally a pretty nice guy. Not a lot of friends as he tended to run with the same group his whole time in school. Even the team mates who didn't like or respect him as a person respected his athleticism. Not a team leader.

Position: He played some QB, but not a lot as he showed a trend of pulling down the ball and running at the first opportunity, even before moving through his reads. This trait did not overly please the Bobcat coaches even though the results were often good.

Impressive as a receiver. Decent routes, but his real strength was in catching any ball that was even remotely in the area. Had he stayed a Bobcat he would have played the coming season as a WR.

Adaptability: Great on the field, terrible off the field. He contributed at several positions and adapted quickly to each on the field. The recent Texas St coaching change, however, did not go so well. His negative attitude led to him being dismissed from the Bobcat team along with two other players for the same reason. His former team mates were under the impression he was going to North Texas to play for Dodge (apparently he bragged loudly about doing so after his dismissal), and in fact still thought that when I spoke to my source.

A touch of weirdness: He had a girlfriend from Corpus Christi. When she broke up with him, he "practically stalked her for a while there". As far as my source knows he's never had any trouble with the law and does not over do the party scene.

Tear Down This Wall
4/12/2007, 11:18 PM
Dodge-ball.

Look, having a pass offense is having a pass offense. It's been called the Run-and-Shoot, the Fun-n-Gun, etc. Mike Leach doesn't call it anything.

Here in the DFW area, I don't understand the hoopla. The only coach to win a championship with a gimmicky, over-passy offense was Steve Spurrier at Florida - after he hired Bob Stoops as defensive coordinator to clean up the side of the ball that really wins championships.

I feel for Dodge. He'll have his as*s handed to him a ton by OU and Arkansas in September. Maybe he can do like the old UNT coach - lose all of the out of conference games, then sweep through the Sun Belt.

stoopified
4/13/2007, 12:42 AM
About the only SHOT he has is against McEacherin for the holder/#4 qb spot.

boomersooner82
4/13/2007, 10:39 AM
Look, having a pass offense is having a pass offense. It's been called the Run-and-Shoot, the Fun-n-Gun, etc. Mike Leach doesn't call it anything.

Here in the DFW area, I don't understand the hoopla. The only coach to win a championship with a gimmicky, over-passy offense was Steve Spurrier at Florida - after he hired Bob Stoops as defensive coordinator to clean up the side of the ball that really wins championships.

I feel for Dodge. He'll have his as*s handed to him a ton by OU and Arkansas in September. Maybe he can do like the old UNT coach - lose all of the out of conference games, then sweep through the Sun Belt.

I have a feeling mizzOUstu702 wasn't trying to pay Dodge any compliments. I don't think the green-blooded midget even ran the spread, no-huddle until the elder Wasson joined his staff.

As for Chase Wasson, maybe he's fleeing to Norman in fear of being outplayed by Cheater McGee in the Southland this year. Whatever his role's going to be, glad he's a Sooner.

soonerinabilene
4/13/2007, 12:50 PM
bobcats? i thought texas state was the fightin armadillos?? at least thats what sinbad told me.

Desert Sapper
4/13/2007, 02:35 PM
bobcats? i thought texas state was the fightin armadillos?? at least thats what sinbad told me.

The funny part is that they made an appearance in that movie...against the movie Texas State...when they were still Southwest Texas State.