PDA

View Full Version : Out of State Tuition at OU

Mjcpr
4/11/2007, 08:37 AM
Are there any legitimate ways around paying out of state tuition? I have a nephew who is wanting to go to OU but he lives in Illinois.

Other than moving here for a year beforehand and not for the sole purpose of going to OU?

sanantoniosooner
4/11/2007, 08:41 AM
He could legally change his name to yours, and then pretend to be you.

sooner_born_1960
4/11/2007, 08:57 AM
Uncle Mjcpr could just pay the difference.

JohnnyMack
4/11/2007, 09:29 AM
List your address as his address. Say he's been living with you.

Mjcpr
4/11/2007, 09:37 AM
List your address as his address. Say he's been living with you.

By reading their website, it seemed like it would be a lot more complicated than that.

TUSooner
4/11/2007, 09:39 AM
I know what you are talking about. It's cheaper for my daughter to go to Tulane than to pay out-of-state tuition at OU.
OU offered "party favor" financial aid, and it would still cost me about 17 or 18grand per year out of pocket. It was pretty dang disappointing.
Tulane costs more, but offered much more. It still leaves a gap, but I'll gladly take on a little debt to keep her out of LSU. :D

NormanPride
4/11/2007, 10:20 AM
Do they still have the generations scholly? That's what I was on. You basically pay in-state if you're out of state and have a parent or grandparent that went to OU.

royalfan5
4/11/2007, 10:24 AM
Where I'm from is just on NE side of the NE/KS border, and the people that wished to go to K-State would just to go the town on the other side and get a PO box, and it would work. I have no idea if that would work for OU or not.

sanantoniosooner
4/11/2007, 10:28 AM
Where I'm from is just on NE side of the NE/KS border, and the people that wished to go to K-State would just to go the town on the other side and get a PO box, and it would work. I have no idea if that would work for OU or not.
How would a Kansas PO Box work for OU?

Vaevictis
4/11/2007, 10:30 AM
Do they still have the generations scholly? That's what I was on. You basically pay in-state if you're out of state and have a parent or grandparent that went to OU.

No. They eliminated that something like 5-7 years ago.

Mjcpr
4/11/2007, 10:30 AM
Because it's closer than Illinois, moran.

Here are the rules...

http://admissions.ou.edu/residency.htm

jk the sooner fan
4/11/2007, 10:33 AM
By reading their website, it seemed like it would be a lot more complicated than that.

jk2 scored in-state tuition, but it wasnt easy.....because his mother had moved up to OKC early enough, he was able to get it

but its a tough sell

Mjcpr
4/11/2007, 10:35 AM
jk2 scored in-state tuition, but it wasnt easy.....because his mother had moved up to OKC early enough, he was able to get it

but its a tough sell

Yeah, this kid pretty much has no ties to the state except he likes OU, he's gone to their football camp and his mom wants him to go there. :D

I think he's going to have to be a future Illini.

jk the sooner fan
4/11/2007, 10:37 AM
in state tuition in texas is more expensive than out of state in oklahoma...even if they hadn't approved our request...it still would have been cheaper

SoonerStormchaser
4/11/2007, 10:39 AM
I had the same problem AFTER I lived there on my own for a few years and then tried to get in-state. They wanted everything from proof that I wouldn't leave the state after I graduated to my firstborn child (yes, I'm kidding on that one). I told them I was wanting to go the military route...the laughed at me and made me pay OOS tuition for all five years...$30K in student loans later...

NormanPride
4/11/2007, 10:42 AM
No. They eliminated that something like 5-7 years ago.

Heh. I must have been grandfathered in. :D

NormanPride
4/11/2007, 10:43 AM
I had the same problem AFTER I lived there on my own for a few years and then tried to get in-state. They wanted everything from proof that I wouldn't leave the state after I graduated to my firstborn child (yes, I'm kidding on that one). I told them I was wanting to go the military route...the laughed at me and made me pay OOS tuition for all five years...$30K in student loans later...

Well that was stupid. :D

Petro-Sooner
4/11/2007, 10:43 AM

So you lived in Oklahoma several yrs before you went to OU and still had to pay OOS?? Damn!! But you lived here longer than a yr. How can you show proof you will stay in the state after graduation? I mean come on. Your suppose to look them in the eye and say, even if the only job offer I get is out of state I will not take it. :rolleyes:

Vaevictis
4/11/2007, 10:51 AM
Heh. I must have been grandfathered in. :D

If you were already a generations student at one point, they'll grandfather you in -- they did this with me also. (I returned to OU in 2003, but I had eligibility on my Generations Scholarship from 1997, so they grandfathered me in...)

mdklatt
4/11/2007, 11:16 AM
Are there any legitimate ways around paying out of state tuition?

Be a National Merit Scholar.

Petro-Sooner
4/11/2007, 11:23 AM
Be a National Merit Scholar.

Ahh, boren's kids.

mdklatt
4/11/2007, 11:27 AM
Ahh, boren's kids.

:confused:

SoonerStormchaser
4/11/2007, 11:43 AM
Well that was stupid. :D

Yah, heaven forbid I should tell them that I want to go and possibly die for my country. :rolleyes:

1stTimeCaller
4/11/2007, 11:49 AM
Yah, heaven forbid I should tell them that I want to go and possibly die for my country. :rolleyes:

eh, they probably thought you were lying when you told them military while you had on an air force shirt.
;)

Petro-Sooner
4/11/2007, 11:59 AM

KABOOKIE
4/11/2007, 12:46 PM
:confused:

You can't attend an OU function without Boren spreading diarrhea of the mouth about “Most National Merit Scholars per capita than any other public university….” I almost puke every time I hear him say it. He might as well say, “We’d rather give OU’s scholarship money to a bunch academically un-proven, non-Oklahomans than our own in-state kids”

Fugue
4/11/2007, 12:50 PM
:pop:

Petro-Sooner
4/11/2007, 12:50 PM
You can't attend an OU function without Boren spreading diarrhea of the mouth about “Most National Merit Scholars per capita than any other public university….” I almost puke every time I hear him say it. He might as well say, “We’d rather give OU’s scholarship money to a bunch academically un-proven, non-Oklahomans than our own in-state kids”

Couldnt have put it any better.

Mjcpr
4/11/2007, 01:05 PM
Why do you two hate GHP and PG?

jk the sooner fan
4/11/2007, 01:06 PM

why is giving national merit scholarships to any kid a bad thing, regardless of where they come from?

Petro-Sooner
4/11/2007, 01:09 PM
Why do you two hate GHP and PG?

I dont hate them.

Its just another reason I dislike boren. But thats a whole other story.

royalfan5
4/11/2007, 01:12 PM
Sounds like somebody has smart kid envy.

colleyvillesooner
4/11/2007, 01:12 PM

Yeah, cause that's what he was implying. Way to overreact.

Now all your left with is 30,000 in loans and the Mitch Hedberg line of
I shoulda just said "yeah"

KABOOKIE
4/11/2007, 01:31 PM
Sounds like somebody has smart kid envy.

Yes. Because holding a 3.75 in engineering is stupid. :rolleyes:

Petro-Sooner
4/11/2007, 01:33 PM
What type of engineering?

Slacker

royalfan5
4/11/2007, 01:38 PM
Yes. Because holding a 3.75 in engineering is stupid. :rolleyes:
A national merit scholar would have a 3.85.

KABOOKIE
4/11/2007, 01:41 PM
why is giving national merit scholarships to any kid a bad thing, regardless of where they come from?

Well because it puts a guy who is a die hard Notre Dame fan on a full ride sitting right next to me in Thermodynamics. At the same time he’s trashing OU athletics and the state of Oklahoma he is asking me “the dumb kid paying his own way” what entropy means.

KABOOKIE
4/11/2007, 01:42 PM

Um no. NMS only need to keep a 3.0 GPA to retain their scholarship.

NormanPride
4/11/2007, 01:46 PM

Dude, I just laughed at that, and everyone in the room gave me a funny look. I hate you now.

Fugue
Well because it puts a guy who is a die hard Notre Dame fan on a full ride sitting right next to me in Thermodynamics. At the same time he’s trashing OU athletics and the state of Oklahoma he is asking me “the dumb kid paying his own way” what entropy means.

You chose to sit next to a ND guy?

http://talkwichita.com/thunder/style_emoticons/default/nonono.gif

;)

royalfan5
If it's that easy, maybe somebody should have went out and got their own scholarship instead of bitching about those who did.

KABOOKIE
4/11/2007, 01:47 PM
What type of engineering?

Slacker

ME.

Anything above 3.8 is dork/geek level. Nerds got busy every once in a while...

Fraggle145
4/11/2007, 01:50 PM

damn it was 3.4 for me...:eek:

edit: sorry it was 3.25, 3.4 was to graduate with honors

PhxSooner
4/11/2007, 01:51 PM
Back in the dark ages, I had to maintain at least 3.25. Did they lower it?

My husband was born and raised in OK, but left after graduation because there were few, if any, EE jobs in OK. Should he have had to pay out-of-state?:rolleyes: I understand some of the reasoning, but how can you tell where you'll be after graduation? I definitely didn't plan on Phoenix.

mdklatt
4/11/2007, 01:58 PM
Its just another reason I dislike boren.

That program pre-dates Boren.

mdklatt
4/11/2007, 02:00 PM
He might as well say, “We’d rather give OU’s scholarship money to a bunch academically un-proven, non-Oklahomans than our own in-state kids”

1) Boren didn't start the NMS program.

2) What do you mean by academically unproven?

Petro-Sooner
4/11/2007, 02:00 PM
That program pre-dates Boren.

I know. That wasnt the point I was getting at.

mdklatt
4/11/2007, 02:02 PM

Not that you're bitter or anything.

mdklatt
4/11/2007, 02:04 PM
Back in the dark ages, I had to maintain at least 3.25. Did they lower it?

I thought it was a 3.5 for me, but maybe it was only a 3.25.

jk the sooner fan
4/11/2007, 02:06 PM
so you have to be a diehard fan of OU athletics to attend school here?

nothing like promoting academic excellence!

Fraggle145
4/11/2007, 02:08 PM

at the time the scholarships were given out they were more academically proven than you were, just sayin.

Mjcpr
4/11/2007, 02:09 PM
So, have you all answered my question yet?

Fraggle145
4/11/2007, 02:10 PM
Maybe get a drivers license here and a PO Box... :confused:

mdklatt
4/11/2007, 02:11 PM

Haven't you been paying attention? Tell your nephew he should start boning up for the PSAT, and he'd better not be a Notre Dame fane.

mdklatt
4/11/2007, 02:18 PM

If Illinois has a reciprocity agreement with Oklahoma, you can get out-of-state tuition waived for a program that OU has that no school in Illinois offers.

Vaevictis
4/11/2007, 02:29 PM

Okay, well, since you asked:

The best way to ensure that you get in-state tuition is to attend an institution in a state that you are a resident of. For your nephew, I guess that would be Illinois.

Mjcpr
4/11/2007, 02:31 PM
Okay, well, since you asked:

The best way to ensure that you get in-state tuition is to attend an institution in a state that you are a resident of. For your nephew, I guess that would be Illinois.

http://bani.anime.net/o_rly.jpg

Vaevictis
4/11/2007, 02:39 PM
http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i458684_orlyyarly.jpg

AggieTool
4/11/2007, 04:57 PM
Just have 'em enter the country illegally, then they get in for free.:rolleyes:

BajaOklahoma
4/11/2007, 05:08 PM
Is he a Native American (Five Civilized Tribes) by any chance? 'Cause then it is free. :D
I wish they still had the Generation's Scholarship.
Pat, have him talk to the school counselors. There are lots of scholarships out there, if you know where to look.

Like JK said, it turned out to be cheaper to pay out-of-state rates at OU (with the cheaper housing) than to go in-state down here. People drool when we talk about an apt for 450/mo - furnished, with W/D and utilities that include internet and cable.

KABOOKIE
4/11/2007, 05:32 PM
Not that you're bitter or anything.

Better bitter than stupid I guess.

KABOOKIE
4/11/2007, 05:35 PM
at the time the scholarships were given out they were more academically proven than you were, just sayin.

I guess so. It's kind of like the guy that got the job because of his 4.0 GPA and he turns out to be the company retard and assigned to the mail room. ;)

KABOOKIE
4/11/2007, 05:37 PM
so you have to be a diehard fan of OU athletics to attend school here?

nothing like promoting academic excellence!

Nothing like promoting ungratefulness. That usually pans out in the donor $$$. :rolleyes:

1stTimeCaller
4/11/2007, 05:57 PM
I barely graduated. I started out in the honors college. Yeah, that lasted an entire semester. Not one of my employers has asked to see my GPA. I've had quite a few employers.

I have a job that makes me happy. That's all that matters.

KABOOKIE
4/11/2007, 06:07 PM
That's all that matters.

And the occasional shocker here and there..... :D

Petro-Sooner
4/11/2007, 06:08 PM
I'm pretty sure the reason I just got turned down for a job was my GPA. No sweat though.

1stTimeCaller
4/11/2007, 06:08 PM
http://www.galleywinter.com/main/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10591-funny.jpg
:D

jk the sooner fan
4/11/2007, 06:20 PM
Nothing like promoting ungratefulness. That usually pans out in the donor $$$. :rolleyes:

as much as i love sooner athletics, i'm also a realist to know that not every single student that comes to OU does so because they love the football team

you think all the red dot indians and foreigners give a crap about football? doesnt seem like the athletic department is hurting for money....so its not an issue for me.....perhaps it is for you though....if that kid hadnt been a notre dame fan and instead been a fan of slippery rock, you wouldnt give a rats a5s

1stTimeCaller
4/11/2007, 06:23 PM
hey Pat, have my posts been helpful?

KABOOKIE
4/11/2007, 06:32 PM
as much as i love sooner athletics, i'm also a realist to know that not every single student that comes to OU does so because they love the football team

you think all the red dot indians and foreigners give a crap about football? doesnt seem like the athletic department is hurting for money....so its not an issue for me.....perhaps it is for you though....if that kid hadnt been a notre dame fan and instead been a fan of slippery rock, you wouldnt give a rats a5s

Dude.....ND, osu, Florida, usc....you missed the point that said NMS student could care less about OU AND Oklahoma. That and he (and plenty other NMS students) carried a ****ty GPA. Not really setting the bar for "Academic Excellence."

KABOOKIE
4/11/2007, 06:45 PM

Really says who? Just becasue one scored >96th perctile on the SAT doesn't gurantee NMS. It's still a selection.

Mjcpr
4/11/2007, 06:51 PM
Is he a Native American (Five Civilized Tribes) by any chance? 'Cause then it is free. :D
I wish they still had the Generation's Scholarship.
Pat, have him talk to the school counselors. There are lots of scholarships out there, if you know where to look.

Like JK said, it turned out to be cheaper to pay out-of-state rates at OU (with the cheaper housing) than to go in-state down here. People drool when we talk about an apt for 450/mo - furnished, with W/D and utilities that include internet and cable.

I think he's Italian, does that count?

:O

Fraggle145
4/11/2007, 11:06 PM
Really says who? Just becasue one scored >96th perctile on the SAT doesn't gurantee NMS. It's still a selection.

99th percentile (I know I did it) and you didnt score it... its all relative and there isnt much to go on. high school grades and standardized tests thats what the collective "they" judge it on.

You didnt make the cut. get over it.

its arbitrary and you are/will be doing fine without it (obviously). not saying it is right just saying it is what it is. Not saying it means anything for the future either.

Fraggle145
4/11/2007, 11:09 PM
I guess so. It's kind of like the guy that got the job because of his 4.0 GPA and he turns out to be the company retard and assigned to the mail room. ;)

Sorta like the talent (Bomar, Rawls, et al.) that turned out that turned out to be crap. They were the most proven at the time.

KABOOKIE
4/11/2007, 11:49 PM
99th percentile (I know I did it) and you didnt score it... its all relative and there isnt much to go on. high school grades and standardized tests thats what the collective "they" judge it on.

You didnt make the cut. get over it.

its arbitrary and you are/will be doing fine without it (obviously). not saying it is right just saying it is what it is. Not saying it means anything for the future either.

Whoopeedoo you made it. Hopefully you're better than most of the ones I had to interact with because they wore that crap on their sleeve. Never mind their GPA's were average at best. Mr. Boren pimps that as academic excellence. At the same time ignoring those who excel while actually in college.

And it's 96th percentile scores. The foundation narrows those by a selection to 99th percentile. There's no question many students had higher scores and didn't get selected because their self-essay didn't cry a big enough river.

Blue
4/12/2007, 12:35 AM
If Illinois has a reciprocity agreement with Oklahoma, you can get out-of-state tuition waived for a program that OU has that no school in Illinois offers.

This is the ticket right here. It was called The Academic`Common Market when I got my OU out of state waived. Only problem was that I had to major in meteorology and I would have been a Senior before I could establish residency.
I got to see a few games, though.

Fraggle145
4/12/2007, 12:35 AM
Whoopeedoo you made it. Hopefully you're better than most of the ones I had to interact with because they wore that crap on their sleeve. Never mind their GPA's were average at best. Mr. Boren pimps that as academic excellence. At the same time ignoring those who excel while actually in college.

And it's 96th percentile scores. The foundation narrows those by a selection to 99th percentile. There's no question many students had higher scores and didn't get selected because their self-essay didn't cry a big enough river.

At this point nobody cares. I think you are a little too worried/know too much about it for someone who is more focused on excelling. It makes you come off as bitter that you didnt do well on that test, jealousy can be an ugly thing. I noticed you dont go after any Regents Scholars who get the same (or very very similiar) package for doing a similiar thing - Doing well on one test. IMO, GPA's are overrated with grade inflation anyway (and ya it still happens in college too). My GPA was a 3.43 or something. and would have been better if not for my one semester when I dropped the ball (2.25 :eek:). Anyway, nobody in most job searches really cares about your GPA (granted there are a few that do). Excelling in GPA doesnt mean you necessarily excelled in college either. Excelling can also be interpreted as networking, developing personal skills etc... If you didnt go a little wild then that is your loss.

I didnt cry a river in my essay. I wrote about my VW microbus and how it was a portrayal of my personality. All I know was my scores for the test were in the 99th percentile before the essay and that was the requirement. maybe you are thinking of one of the many other national whatever merit scholars including black , hispanic, etc... whihc are mostly around the 95th percentile.

I think Boren takes every opportunity to pimp whoever he can if they excel in college. This is just another thing, it is only special because it is unique to the university.

and its like I said before, with my Bomar citation you can have all the talent in the world but that doesnt have to amount to a hill of beans.

PhxSooner
4/12/2007, 12:50 AM
I thought the purpose of the essay was to prove you could write a coherent sentence...;)

There was a guy at my HS who was a semifinalist and lost out on NM because he was goofing off in English and had a D at the time. Couldn't have happened to a better guy.

And, on topic, if anyone can find a way to get around out-of-state tuition, pass it on. Otherwise, I'm looking at being the parent of a Sun Devil.

Fraggle145
4/12/2007, 12:54 AM
I think the best thing proposed so far is to pick the exchange major that they dont have at your university, take the general reqs in the first year, take the other stuff they really want in the second and change majors after they establish residency.

hurricane'bone
4/12/2007, 01:09 AM
I thought the purpose of the essay was to prove you could write a coherent sentence...;)

There was a guy at my HS who was a semifinalist and lost out on NM because he was goofing off in English and had a D at the time. Couldn't have happened to a better guy.

And, on topic, if anyone can find a way to get around out-of-state tuition, pass it on. Otherwise, I'm looking at being the parent of a Sun Devil.

Funny you should mention ASU. I know about 10 guys from Tulsa that have gotten in-state tuition at ASU through QuikTrip. They work for QT, QT transfers them to one of their locations in Phoenix, and they immediately become residents of the state of Arizona in the eyes of ASU. This was also offered to me when I told one of them I was considering ASU.

garland sooner
4/12/2007, 01:42 AM
All this talk about NMS... Damn, it feels good to be in the hispanic minority. I'm studying at OU getting almost the same benefits as NMS except it has lower standards. I get in-state tuition and the same stipend benefits as NMS but I only have to keep a 2.8GPA. I got it because I'm a National Hispanic Scholar. I scored higher than the mexicans that tested but a little lower than the white/asian kids.

In case you were wondering why i was dissing on the mexicans, it's cause I'm puerto rican.

BajaOklahoma
4/12/2007, 02:58 AM
http://go2.ou.edu/documents/2006%20Scholarship%20Descriptions.pdf

It's a matter of talking to the high school counselor too. Between attending a high school where the top 15-20% of the graduating were International Bacc scholars (which shoots you class ranking down for the average kid) and making too much money (not in my opinion), my kids didn't qualify for much. Lil Baja's high school counselor was a Baylor grad, originally from CA. She tried to steer her to Baylor (yeah, right) with offers of scholarships.
Look at AP classes in high school. There are some kids aorund here who start out with 20+ credit hours from high school. That save a bunch of cash.
Look at attending a local community college for a year or even two to get the basics out of the way. That is very common down here for the kids going in-state - it saves a bunch. And if the GPA is high enough, they can qualify for some major assistance at some of the area colleges, like SMU.