PDA

View Full Version : floatin' da river

rufnek05
4/11/2007, 12:18 AM
a bunch of the buds and i are goin to float the Illinois from War Eagle, last i heard they were tryin to ban drinking on the river, any word if they went through with that? cus if that is true, i'm gonna bail on the trip

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/11/2007, 12:35 AM
Killer avatar... Gobama!

yermom
4/11/2007, 03:07 AM
i don't remember how that alcohol thing turned out

i can't imagine that industry surviving without drunken dumbasses out there though

i need to do that again sometime

rufnek05
4/11/2007, 03:10 AM
36th annual RUF/NEKS Float trip. may 19th noon. War Eagle as of now there are about 40 of us and friends going

OUTromBoNado
4/11/2007, 04:07 AM
I love the Illinois River. I'm usually much further upstream though, by Kansas, Colcord, and Flint Creek. It's my absolute favorite place to go and fish. I usually go there 2-5 times every summer. NP and Badger went with me and some other friends last year.

BTW, Mr. and Mrs. NP, I don't think my grandmother is selling her place now. Up for another trip this summer if I'm still around?

OUHOMER
4/11/2007, 04:57 AM
Note to self. avoid the river weekend of May 19th. Actually my group is going up May 31st to June 3rd. I dont think they banned the beer, I think they decised to enforce the laws they have, like public drunks go to jail.

Pfunk
4/11/2007, 12:01 PM
Note to self. avoid the river weekend of May 19th. Actually my group is going up May 31st to June 3rd. I dont think they banned the beer, I think they decised to enforce the laws they have, like public drunks go to jail.

THis sounds about right. One of my good friends works at Diamond Head and that is what he told me.

Petro-Sooner
4/11/2007, 12:05 PM
I can remember about ten yrs ago or so it getting way out of had with the drunks and what not.

picasso
4/11/2007, 01:30 PM
if you cross the river and go about a mile and take the first right you see (paved, nice road) it will lead you up on a large hill (I nearly died on the first curve one night) and you will drive a few miles, come to a large curve at which you'll cross the bridge of Barren Fork Creek, it runs off of the river. that's where the college kids hang out. it's off the beaten path and has some nice rocky beaches.
my buddy got his Mitsubishi jeep stuck in that creek one time.:cool:

4/11/2007, 03:50 PM
I love the Illinois River. I'm usually much further upstream though, by Kansas, Colcord, and Flint Creek. It's my absolute favorite place to go and fish. I usually go there 2-5 times every summer. NP and Badger went with me and some other friends last year.

BTW, Mr. and Mrs. NP, I don't think my grandmother is selling her place now. Up for another trip this summer if I'm still around?When I lived in Tulsa in the '80's, I fished it a few times. What are you fishing for/catching? I liked the streams in the Eastern part of the state for their smallmouth bass.

mdklatt
4/11/2007, 03:56 PM
i can't imagine that industry surviving without drunken dumbasses out there though

i need to do that again sometime

:D

mdklatt
4/11/2007, 03:57 PM
last i heard they were tryin to ban drinking on the river, any word if they went through with that? cus if that is true, i'm gonna bail on the trip

If it's only worth doing if you're drunk is it really worth doing?

rufnek05
4/11/2007, 04:19 PM
If it's only worth doing if you're drunk is it really worth doing?

yes. it's fun to float with out the beer.

but whats better than sitting in raft with an ice chest surrounded by some of you best friends, for 6 hours. and its summer time so girls in swimwear helps too.:hot:

sanantoniosooner
4/11/2007, 04:25 PM
It's a clash between family types and loud groups.

New Braunfels has the same issue regarding the Guadalupe River.

rufnek05
4/11/2007, 04:30 PM
when we stayed at eagle bluff and ended up playin volley ball with a bunch of youth group kids. we didn't have any problem keeping quite after 10. none of their rules are hard to follow, unless you are just a complete jackass

sanantoniosooner
4/11/2007, 04:32 PM
when we stayed at eagle bluff and ended up playin volley ball with a bunch of youth group kids. we didn't have any problem keeping quite after 10. none of their rules are hard to follow, unless you are just a complete jackass
Well, some of it is during the day while floating.

When you got your kids there and you are surrounded by F-Bombs, it gets old real quick. The people who drink the most seem to be the ones that act that way the most also.

rufnek05
4/11/2007, 04:37 PM
yeah i can see how that could be old for families. i do remember seeing several people just stand up in the raft and start ****ing in the river. i just remember that its a public place with families, but thats just me

OSUAggie
4/11/2007, 05:30 PM
yeah i can see how that could be old for families. i do remember seeing several people just stand up in the raft and start ****ing in the river. i just remember that its a public place with families, but thats just me

heh... ****in in the river off the side of the boat is great fun. almost as fun as walking back to the shore to see the whore you came with ****ing your friend in the middle of the river. :mad:

yermom
4/11/2007, 05:36 PM
other than the ****ing in the river thing, i'd ask if you were related to SicEm

rufnek05
4/11/2007, 05:36 PM
sounds like a blast to watch

OSUAggie
4/11/2007, 05:37 PM
other than the ****ing in the river thing, i'd ask if you were related to SicEm

I didn't take them out to dinner or anything afterwards...

OUTromBoNado
4/11/2007, 05:38 PM
When I lived in Tulsa in the '80's, I fished it a few times. What are you fishing for/catching? I liked the streams in the Eastern part of the state for their smallmouth bass.

Mostly the smallmouth but the catfish and black bass too. A man could have great fun with Wheaties and strawberry pop...make dough balls and fight the carp. Although, the biggest sand bass I ever caught was in the upper Illinois...thought it was a catfish fighting that current. We usually trap our own minnows using a quart plastic jar and crackers. Good times. Artifical lure wise...rooster tails and crawdad crankbaits.

As far as I know, alcohol is still allowed on the river, but it can't be in glass. Glass containers were banned.

My f'in hillbilly roots are showing in this here thread.

Sooner24
4/11/2007, 05:43 PM
heh... ****in in the river off the side of the boat is great fun. almost as fun as walking back to the shore to see the whore you came with ****ing your friend in the middle of the river. :mad:

This is a worthless post without pictures. :mad:

fadada1
4/11/2007, 05:44 PM
36th annual RUF/NEKS Float trip. may 19th noon. War Eagle as of now there are about 40 of us and friends going
pardon me, son. i think it's the 69th annual. you should know better.

:D

rufnek05
4/11/2007, 05:46 PM
This is a worthless post without pictures. :mad:

if they did it on the river, i'm guessing there are some pics out there somewhere.

AlbqSooner
4/11/2007, 07:55 PM
if they did it on the river, i'm guessing there are some pics out there somewhere.
Check youtube

MamaMia
4/11/2007, 10:24 PM
a bunch of the buds and i are goin to float the Illinois from War Eagle, last i heard they were tryin to ban drinking on the river, any word if they went through with that? cus if that is true, i'm gonna bail on the trip
Just sneak you some.

4/12/2007, 12:29 AM
Mostly the smallmouth but the catfish and black bass too. A man could have great fun with Wheaties and strawberry pop...make dough balls and fight the carp. Although, the biggest sand bass I ever caught was in the upper Illinois...thought it was a catfish fighting that current. We usually trap our own minnows using a quart plastic jar and crackers. Good times. Artifical lure wise...rooster tails and crawdad crankbaits.

As far as I know, alcohol is still allowed on the river, but it can't be in glass. Glass containers were banned.

My f'in hillbilly roots are showing in this here thread.River fishing is my favorite type of freshwater, esp for big Smallmouths. I liked the Mountain Fork in SE OK, and Crooked Creek, in N Central AR best.

Sooner24
4/12/2007, 06:36 AM

You take sheep with you on a float trip?

Pfunk
4/12/2007, 10:46 AM

My f'in hillbilly roots are showing in this here thread.

There are also a decent amount of large mouth. I never use live bait. Ive had luck on plastics, mostly salt craws, smaller lizards and even smaller worms. Also you arent supposed to have anything over 3.2 on the river. :mad:

stoopified
4/12/2007, 11:12 AM
if you cross the river and go about a mile and take the first right you see (paved, nice road) it will lead you up on a large hill (I nearly died on the first curve one night) and you will drive a few miles, come to a large curve at which you'll cross the bridge of Barren Fork Creek, it runs off of the river. that's where the college kids hang out. it's off the beaten path and has some nice rocky beaches.
my buddy got his Mitsubishi jeep stuck in that creek one time.:cool:Dammit man you have leaked classified information :D For this you must be shot.