PDA

View Full Version : So I just found out that...

royalfan5
4/10/2007, 10:39 AM
My Uncle was served with divorce papers last night. I am pretty close to my Uncle as he was kind of a fill-in dad for me, and he taught me everything I know about cattle. I can also finally say that I never particularly trusted my Aunt.(They didn't get married until I was a Junior in High School) I am not particularly surprised by this development as my Uncle tends to be a challenge to get along with, and his wife was too. I figure I will give him a call when he gets home from work, but I have no idea what to say to him at this point. However, that puts my Uncles on my Mom's side of the family at 1-4 on marriages, and the 1 had to shoot himself in the foot with a .45 to prove his love. This has really gotten my day off on the wrong foot.

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/10/2007, 10:41 AM
...and the 1 had to shoot himself in the foot with a .45 to prove his love. This has really gotten my day off on the wrong foot.

Did you mean to do that?

Oh, and sorry about all that other stuff.

royalfan5
4/10/2007, 10:42 AM
Did you mean to do that?

No, I didn't mean to do that. It just happened.

StuIsTheMan
4/10/2007, 10:48 AM
My Uncle was served with divorce papers last night. I am pretty close to my Uncle as he was kind of a fill-in dad for me, and he taught me everything I know about cattle. I can also finally say that I never particularly trusted my Aunt.(They didn't get married until I was a Junior in High School) I am not particularly surprised by this development as my Uncle tends to be a challenge to get along with, and his wife was too. I figure I will give him a call when he gets home from work, but I have no idea what to say to him at this point. However, that puts my Uncles on my Mom's side of the family at 1-4 on marriages, and the 1 had to shoot himself in the foot with a .45 to prove his love. This has really gotten my day off on the wrong foot.

How about..."Hell yeah...your Free...now lets get some beers and go to the noodie bar!"

Osce0la
4/10/2007, 10:50 AM
Did you mean to do that?

I wasn't going to touch it...glad someone else did...

That sucks man.

proud gonzo
4/10/2007, 10:51 AM
that sucks dude

royalfan5
4/10/2007, 10:52 AM
How about..."Hell yeah...your Free...now lets get some beers and go to the noodie bar!"
He quit drinking in the late 1980's after he almost killed himself in a single vehicle accident. I doubt that would go very far.

Oldnslo
4/10/2007, 11:04 AM
Free at last, free at last, thank God Almighty, you're free at last!

or the more subdued:

Hey, I'm here for you.

SicEmBaylor
4/10/2007, 11:09 AM
Hey, I'm here for you.

I'm thinking that might be a bit too touchy-feely for Royal's clan.

MamaMia
4/10/2007, 11:32 AM
You could say that it will take some time to adjust but sometimes change is a good thing.

Melo
4/10/2007, 01:25 PM
I would think that in the rough times, even a phone call where you DIDNT mention what happened would make him feel at least a little bit better. Knowing that people still care and love you is something he will probably need as hes going through this thing. Maybe you could spend some more time with him, even if its just BSing on the phone? How much other family does he have? Are you the only one who talks to him a lot? And if there are other women in his life (sisters, mother, etc), mybe the 'touchy-feely-girly-talk' can be left up to them.

ultimatesooner1
4/10/2007, 03:38 PM
However, that puts my Uncles on my Mom's side of the family at 1-4 on marriages, and the 1 had to shoot himself in the foot with a .45 to prove his love.

My mom's brothers are 3/9 and it would be 2/9 except one of them died before he could get the divorce going

royalfan5
4/10/2007, 06:57 PM
I just talked to him, and I think he is holding up pretty well. She's not going to try and take the farm, which was his biggest concern. I think it caught him more off guard than it did me, but then again I never did much like her or her two kids. The cattle situation is taken care off for the time being, which was the second thing her would worry about. It sounds like they are going try to be adults about the whole thing and resolve it as civilily as possible. There is no kids to fight over, and the property should be pretty easily divided. Hopefully this whole deal can go smoothly, but if her brother tries to get involved it could get ugly.

sanantoniosooner
4/10/2007, 07:28 PM
A bit bizarre.

My uncle taught me about remodeling and was like a second dad to me. He got out of the business because of the physical toll it took on his body and went to UCO and got his Masters. He came home to find the house empty. Thought he was robbed. Turned out she rented a Uhaul and cleaned the place out.

I never really trusted her either. In fact, I was mentally scarred by her. One time I saw her bent over cleaning an entry way. She had biker shorts and nothing underneath them.

I ask you. What do biker shorts do when stretched near their limit?

Yep.....go nearly transparent.
ewwwwwwwwwwww

proud gonzo
4/10/2007, 09:03 PM
So here's a weird divorce story...

My 8th grade math teacher (the mom of a girl I've known since 4th grade) had a heart attack, a quadruple bypass, and was told she wouldn't last the weekend. Then when she recovered they told her she'd probably have another 5 years if she had a healthy diet, took it easy, didn't have much stress, and was really lucky.

Well, a couple of years later she came home and her husband tells her he's taking a job in Kansas City.... didn't ask her about it or mention it first and talk it over... just says he's taking a job there. He owns a house in KC that he inherited fro his mother. The next day she comes home from work and he's rented a moving truck and already loaded up all their stuff, taken their daughter's Mercedes, AND emptied out their joint checking account. They're divorced now, and the ex-husband is now living in Kansas City with some guy and has decided he's gay.

Meanwhile, the lady's daughter is still living at home along with her toddler, is finalizing her divorce from the kid's father, and is already engaged to someone else.

I think it's been almost 10 year since the lady's heart attack... I don't know how on earth she's handled all of it.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/10/2007, 09:50 PM
sorry to hear your uncle is going through that...

The main thing you can do for him is just be there for whatever he wants to talk about...it probably will be cattle or something like that but its good always to have someone listen to you more than tell you what they think.

sanantoniosooner
4/10/2007, 09:54 PM
Feed his bitterness. It seems to work with my relatives.;)

royalfan5
4/10/2007, 09:58 PM
Feed his bitterness. It seems to work with my relatives.;)
This is still better than the time his brother burned down his house(On purpose). He got through that in good spirits, so I don't know if this will make him bitter either.

sanantoniosooner
4/10/2007, 10:01 PM
My mom and dad split after 26 years.
The following year my aunt and uncle split after 22 years.
The following year my other aunt and uncle split after about 28 years.

Each one got progressively worse and it was a factor in us moving from Oklahoma. You couldn't visit any family member without it being the main topic of conversation.

royalfan5
4/10/2007, 10:04 PM
My mom and dad split after 26 years.
The following year my aunt and uncle split after 22 years.
The following year my other aunt and uncle split after about 28 years.

Each one got progressively worse and it was a factor in us moving from Oklahoma. You couldn't visit any family member without it being the main topic of conversation.
I know what you are saying. Unfortunately.

Oldnslo
4/11/2007, 09:19 AM
A bit bizarre.

My uncle taught me about remodeling and was like a second dad to me. He got out of the business because of the physical toll it took on his body and went to UCO and got his Masters. He came home to find the house empty. Thought he was robbed. Turned out she rented a Uhaul and cleaned the place out.

I never really trusted her either. In fact, I was mentally scarred by her. One time I saw her bent over cleaning an entry way. She had biker shorts and nothing underneath them.

I ask you. What do biker shorts do when stretched near their limit?

Yep.....go nearly transparent.
ewwwwwwwwwwww
One shouldn't wear undergarments beneath bicycling shorts. YWIA.

sanantoniosooner
4/11/2007, 09:20 AM
One shouldn't wear undergarments beneath bicycling shorts. YWIA.
Then one shouldn't wear biking shorts to bend over and scrub floors.