PDA

View Full Version : chinese food=McDonald's

batonrougesooner
4/10/2007, 02:03 AM
So I've lived in several towns in several states over the last decade. One thing I've always noticed is that there are the typical chinese take-out restraunts in the typical strip mall in the typical suburban location. They all have the typical menu down to the font and color on the menu, if not the actual menu numbers. They all have the typical taste.

I promise you that the General Tso chicken and chicken Lo Mein (what me and the Mrs. had tonight) is the same in San Diego as it is in Fresno as it is in Baton Rouge as it is in N.W. OKC.

Is there an underground chinese take-out mafia that has the menu's and recepies cornered?

I want to know.

Ike
4/10/2007, 02:18 AM
they pass out and study the handbooks on the boat ride over.

wow. that was in poor taste.

Melo
4/10/2007, 02:37 AM

...I laughed...:O

Fraggle145
4/10/2007, 02:55 AM
...I laughed...:O

me too. :eek:

afs
4/10/2007, 03:58 AM
they pass out and study the handbooks when they go through the their initial intelligence collection training course.

fixed.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/10/2007, 06:41 AM
I've wondered that too. There's a little Chinese place in my 'hood called Happy House. It's in an old Taco Bell building. They have quite the "extensive" menu for such a little place. At first I was impressed. Then I got a menu that looked exactly the same from another hole in the wall.

yermom
4/10/2007, 06:54 AM
i wish there was a McDonald's quality one in Norman

none of the take out places here are even that good

picasso
4/10/2007, 07:56 AM
hmmm so you're saying regardless of where you go, all Chinese food taste same?

weirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd.

Chuck Bao
4/10/2007, 08:19 AM
Yeah, they probably think Americans like it like that.

I've never had decent Chinese food in the US.

Hatfield
4/10/2007, 09:05 AM
they pass out and study the handbooks on the boat ride over.

too much soy?

C&CDean
4/10/2007, 09:32 AM
i wish there was a McDonald's quality one in Norman

none of the take out places here are even that good

Dude, the ****s I take after eating Sam's Chinese in Noble are better than McDonald's. Just sayin'.

GottaHavePride
4/10/2007, 09:46 AM
I'm with Dean on Sam's Place - that place freaking rocks.

JohnnyMack
4/10/2007, 10:04 AM
You should really stop eating your own ****.

It's really something reserved for lesser species.

yermom
4/10/2007, 10:04 AM
Dude, the ****s I take after eating Sam's Chinese in Noble are better than McDonald's. Just sayin'.

i was speaking more figuratively than literally, i guess. like places that are consistent like McDonald's

i'm not really a fan of Sam's though

i miss Egg Roll Express :(

Panda Express in Owasso wasn't bad either(not sure if it's still there) the chain Panda Express is also pretty good, but they aren't around here

C&CDean
4/10/2007, 10:30 AM
i was speaking more figuratively than literally, i guess. like places that are consistent like McDonald's

i'm not really a fan of Sam's though

Panda Express in Owasso wasn't bad either(not sure if it's still there) the chain Panda Express is also pretty good, but they aren't around here

Dude, try them again. And if you're ordering a Big Mac at Sam's it's probably gonna suck.

Also, when I travel I eat at Panda Express sometimes for lunch. Sam's is lightyears ahead of the gruel PE serves.

yermom
4/10/2007, 10:38 AM
what do you order there? (Sam's or Panda, i guess)

i've only been there a couple of times. i tend to eat Thai, Korean or Vietnamese over Chinese lately

speaking of, i'll give Esther and Fusion Cafe another plug, it's on 12th and North Broadway in Moore and worth checking out. it's kind of a Japanese/Korean mix. the bulgogi is awesome, get it hot :D

C&CDean
4/10/2007, 10:50 AM

i've only been there a couple of times. i tend to eat Thai, Korean or Vietnamese over Chinese lately

speaking of, i'll give Esther and Fusion Cafe another plug, it's on 12th and North Broadway in Moore and worth checking out. it's kind of a Japanese/Korean mix. the bulgogi is awesome, get it hot :D

I'm a sucker for Kung Pao Chicken, but like pretty much any of the veggie/meat dishes. I ain't a Chow Mein guy (although I'll eat it). Their soups and egg rolls are good too (Sam's).

And I too prefer Thai or Vietnamese over Chinese. Especially Americanized Chinese. I like Korean too, but every time I eat kimchee I think of the old lady hacking loogies into her plate and flopping her weather-beaten old tittay out at me. Kind of ruins the appetite, if you know what I mean.

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/10/2007, 10:52 AM
...every time I eat kimchee I think of the old lady hacking loogies into her plate and flopping her weather-beaten old tittay out at me...

http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/sarge/Twitch_anim.gif

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/10/2007, 10:55 AM

speaking of, i'll give Esther and Fusion Cafe another plug, it's on 12th and North Broadway in Moore and worth checking out. it's kind of a Japanese/Korean mix. the bulgogi is awesome, get it hot :DDo they have hibachi there?

yermom
4/10/2007, 11:15 AM
no, it's not that kinda place

i haven't tried the teriyaki, but the the soup is supposed to be the big seller

and Dean, i'm sure it's nothing like the hole in the wall place, it's really clean and stuff. no gross old ladies :D

SicEmBaylor
4/10/2007, 11:30 AM
Is Pei Wei any good?
One just opened in Waco.

Pfunk
4/10/2007, 11:49 AM
Happy Family, over by Albertson's in Norman is one of those Chinese restaurants that have the same menu as every other

MamaMia
4/10/2007, 11:51 AM
We have friends from China who own a restaurant. Their eldest daughter and I have gone to the Chinese market in Oklahoma City right off Classen many times to shop for both the restaurant and for their personal groceries. If we want Chinese, we call ahead and they cook separately for us. Real Chinese food is quite different than what you would normally see at a Chinese restaurant and much healthier than what they offer American restaurant patrons.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/10/2007, 12:02 PM
Is Pei Wei any good?
One just opened in Waco.Pei Wei is very good. Everything there is cooked fresh and made to order. Just don't expect to go there for "Chinese." It's more Asian fusion than anything else, meaning they have all types of Asian inspired dishes The quality is very good though.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/10/2007, 12:03 PM
no, it's not that kinda place

i haven't tried the teriyaki, but the the soup is supposed to be the big seller

and Dean, i'm sure it's nothing like the hole in the wall place, it's really clean and stuff. no gross old ladies :DI may have to try that.

Pricetag
4/10/2007, 01:08 PM

There's some kind of weird merger going on with them here in Tulsa. A bunch of old Burger Streets have been converted to "Egg Roll Street," and Egg Roll Street is buying up some Egg Roll Expresses, too. I went to pick up some Egg Roll Express in Broken Arrow Sunday night only to find that the one at 71st and Elm was closed (not for good, I don't think, just for the day). There is an Egg Roll Street at the same intersection, so I went over there, and it was exactly the same as Express. The food tasted the same, and the numbers on the menu were even the same.

C&CDean
4/10/2007, 01:21 PM
What Oklahoma needs is a Yokohama Rice Bowl. They have them in Tucson, and they are killer. Well as killer as fast yellow-people food can be.

Melo
4/10/2007, 01:30 PM
Panda Express = The suck.

If any of you ever come to Katy, you need to try the Orient Cafe here. We have two of them, and they are the best thing I have ever put past my mouth hole. Its pretty expensive, with some of the more fancier dishes being about $12.00 and upwards. But it is WELL worth it.

And making up your own stuff isnt too bad. I have this awesome egg roll recipe involving pork, some spices I cant remember, cabbage, carrots, etc. My mom and I make some good (Americanized) wontons and egg drop soup.

mdklatt
4/10/2007, 01:41 PM
they are the best thing I have ever put past my mouth hole

IBTL

yermom
4/10/2007, 01:47 PM
There's some kind of weird merger going on with them here in Tulsa. A bunch of old Burger Streets have been converted to "Egg Roll Street," and Egg Roll Street is buying up some Egg Roll Expresses, too. I went to pick up some Egg Roll Express in Broken Arrow Sunday night only to find that the one at 71st and Elm was closed (not for good, I don't think, just for the day). There is an Egg Roll Street at the same intersection, so I went over there, and it was exactly the same as Express. The food tasted the same, and the numbers on the menu were even the same.

weird.

that's the other thing i miss from Tulsa

why does Dallas get Burger Street and QuikTrip while OKC/Norman doesn't? :mad:

yermom
4/10/2007, 01:48 PM
Happy Family, over by Albertson's in Norman is one of those Chinese restaurants that have the same menu as every other

and it succs

NormanPride
4/10/2007, 02:44 PM
You dare diss the Happy Famiry? :eek: It's about as good as McDonalds Chinese goes!

Oh, and cold Korean food is the ultimate lose.

OUstud
4/10/2007, 03:05 PM
The ones that are really suspicious are the ones that remain open for years in strip malls despite never having any customers. Maybe they're a front for illegal activities?

Pfunk
4/10/2007, 03:14 PM
and it succs

meh

SteelClip49
4/10/2007, 03:37 PM
Happy Family is good for the price. All the other Asians restaurants are below average, well except for Thai Kum Koon on Lindsey.

Norman needs 1 freaking Sushi restaurant with a nice selection. My 2 years there were fine but not one damn worthwhile sushi place.

Oh BTW, Pho Sooner off of Boyd and Jenkins has some awesome iced coffee. That stuff will give you stealth wings and makes other coffees and energy drinks go to the s***s.

I'm Sooner Born, Sooner Bred and when I die I will be Sooner dead Rah Oklahoma! Rah Oklahoma! Rah Oklahomaaaaaaaa OKU!!!!!!!!!!!

yermom
4/10/2007, 04:11 PM
no love for Gaijin?

i'm not sure how you can say Happy Family is good, but then trash the sushi place, i've never had anything bad there, while Happy Family is barely edible

Thai Kum Koon is in about 4th place for Thai, let alone Asian, in Norman

mdklatt
4/10/2007, 04:18 PM
Happy Family is good for the price.

Is this the place across Alameda from Albertson's? That place is crap.

All the other Asians restaurants are below average, well except for Thai Kum Koon on Lindsey.

Really???

C&CDean
4/10/2007, 04:20 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I ain't taking restaurant advice from the former employee of the AD.

Fraggle145
4/10/2007, 04:47 PM
no love for Gaijin?

i'm not sure how you can say Happy Family is good, but then trash the sushi place, i've never had anything bad there, while Happy Family is barely edible

Thai Kum Koon is in about 4th place for Thai, let alone Asian, in Norman

Gaijin has been expanding their menu, I eat there about once a month and they have introduced about 5 new special rolls in the last 6 months. And they are damn good.