PDA

View Full Version : Best players during Stoops tenure?

Collier11
4/9/2007, 11:36 PM
Another list to pass the time: Best OU players since Stoops arrived in the context of their impact each and every game!!

1: TRRW- Truly dominate college player
2: Heupel-Definition of a winning and clutch qb
3: D. Strait- True Lock Down corner
4: White- Great qb with great stats but struggled in the big games or woulda been higher
5: J.Brown-Dominating college OL
6: Calmus-Absolutely great LB
7: AD- Freshman year holds him up there, but didnt do enough final two years to be top of list IMO
8: Mark Clayton- Unstoppable most of the time
9: T. Lehman- Monster last two years of career
10: T. Harris- A bit overrated in college IMO and didnt put up expected stats, but still dominated games at times

Fraggle145
4/9/2007, 11:44 PM
youd prolly have to include:
T. Smith
Q

Collier11
4/9/2007, 11:52 PM
Both great players in their own right, but what im going for in this list is players that dominated games each week! Truly just opinion based though so I could see both of them in there somewhere

Fraggle145
4/10/2007, 12:00 AM
Then I would at least say Q for his effect on games each week. I can think of two standout/important performances of the top of my head. 6TDs against Saxet and the TD against FSU.

Fraggle145
4/10/2007, 12:06 AM
might have to add Torrance Marshall as well.

Octavian
4/10/2007, 01:59 AM
Picking a Top 10 is difficult because you have to exclude so many good players.

OU has had 17 All-Americans during the 8 years of the Stoops Era (all in the 7 years of the '00 Decade)

J.T. Thatcher (Nagurski Award Winner)

Josh Heupel (Walter Camp Trophy Winner, Heisman Runner-Up)

Rocky Calmus (twice) (Butkus Award Winner)

Roy Williams (Thorpe Award Winner)

Jeff Ferguson

Teddy Lehman (twice) (Butkus Award Winner, Bednarik Award Winner)

Tommie Harris (Lombardi Award Winner)

Brandon Everage

Jason White (Heisman Trophy Winner, 2-time Davey O'Brien Award Winner, Maxwell Award Winner)

Derrick Strait (Thorpe Award Winner)

Antonio Perkins

Mark Clayton (twice)

Jamaal Brown (twice) (Outland Trophy Winner)

Adrian Peterson (Heisman Runner-Up)

Dan Cody

Vince Carter

Rufus Alexander

Then there are some All-Big XII guys who a case could be made for (and many would probably put some these guys ahead of some of our All-Americans)...

guys like Q, Marshall, Mitchell, McDougle, Dusty, Woolfolk, Bradley, and others...

I dunno about a Top 10...but we've had some good ones in the Stoops Era.

Good times.

Shneeg11
4/10/2007, 02:48 AM
can we put Woolfolk in there solely on his catch against Nebraska where he basically jumped over the guy, kicked the ball, and landed on his back before making the catch?

SteelClip49
4/10/2007, 03:46 AM
It's a toss up between Heupel and White as far as best player is concerned. Heupel obviously put up some unreal numbers in just 2 years and did lead OU to #7. White is a reason why anyone with disabilities and pain should never give up and just keep playing. He did just that, won many awards, New York City twice, 2 title games. etc. He should be considered as a top 10 QB all time in the history of college football. BTW, he was the only one who actually tried against USC.

oumartin
4/10/2007, 06:15 AM
1. Mark Clayton- and he is doing it in the NFL too

badger
4/10/2007, 08:39 AM
It's a toss up between Heupel and White as far as best player is concerned. Heupel obviously put up some unreal numbers in just 2 years and did lead OU to #7. White is a reason why anyone with disabilities and pain should never give up and just keep playing. He did just that, won many awards, New York City twice, 2 title games. etc. He should be considered as a top 10 QB all time in the history of college football. BTW, he was the only one who actually tried against USC.
ad didn't? he was our best player that game!

OSUAggie
4/10/2007, 09:06 AM
How Nate Hybl hasn't been mentioned yet is beyond me.

Widescreen
4/10/2007, 09:13 AM
How Nate Hybl hasn't been mentioned yet is beyond me.
I suspect there are a lot of things that are beyond you.

SoonerStormchaser
4/10/2007, 09:18 AM
Brandon Everage was a bum...on the field and off (don't get me started about his off-the-field behavior, as he lived right across the street from me).

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't he the main guy getting burned in OUr two losses in '02? I think Fields and McNeil were torching him all freaking day.

OSUAggie
4/10/2007, 09:37 AM
Brandon Everage was a bum...on the field and off (don't get me started about his off-the-field behavior, as he lived right across the street from me).

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't he the main guy getting burned in OUr two losses in '02? I think Fields and McNeil were torching him all freaking day.

Your whole secondary got torched those games in '02, it wasn't just Everage. It was so strange to see, and I don't really know that the safety position at Oklahoma has been the same since then.

oklaclarinet
4/10/2007, 10:11 AM
10: T. Harris- A bit overrated in college IMO and didnt put up expected stats, but still dominated games at times

Wasn't he double teamed a lot? If I remember correctly, other players kept getting sacks and pressure because he had two people trying to block him.

I_SMELL_FEAR
4/10/2007, 10:13 AM
Everage was burned game after game.

Tough call between Roy and Clayton for my number 1.
Clayton was the best receiver in the Big XII his last 2 years.
Roy was....Roy.

Collier11
4/10/2007, 10:48 AM
BTW, he was the only one who actually tried against USC.

I love JW as much as the next guy, but he had some plays in that game that were beyond believable. You cant be considered the best if you play the way he played in big games IMHO!

MojoRisen
4/10/2007, 10:52 AM

Listen here biatch- I will correct you. Not mad just sayin. Why don't we have a SS who shakes the cob webs out after a nice hit? Because they tackle without purpose.

SteelClip49
4/10/2007, 10:54 AM
He would have done better in some areas if the OLine actually gave a damn.

AD may have been the best in that game but he was more for the show rather than trying to make the plays. Jason White was the highlight just because of how he got back on the field and have us 2 memorable years.
Hell, you wouldn't believe the amount of USC fans who were praising White after the game because of his character and will to get back after those knee surgeries.

OSUAggie
4/10/2007, 10:54 AM
Clayton was the best receiver in the Big XII his last year.

Fixed.

If you take the question by position, like who was the epitome of dominance within the realm of college football at their position, the best player has to be Roy Williams, with Tommie Harris a close 2nd.

I personally think Josh Heupel is the player most responsible for the resurgence of Oklahoma football, and therefore should be towards the upper portion of any Stoops era list, namely at the top.

SteelClip49
4/10/2007, 10:58 AM
As for Nate Hybl, I think he is the most underrated player under Stoops tenure. He won a Big 12 title, Cotton Bowl MVP and Rose ZBowl MVP. He wasn't a high prolific player like Heupel or White but he came through most times when needed and did all right for himself.

He is also the only Stoops qb so far who has had the longer pro career even if it has been the result of bouncing around.

starrca23
4/10/2007, 11:16 AM
Mark Clayton. Roy Williams. Tommie Harris. Adrian Peterson. You can argue over the order, but it has to be those four.

I_SMELL_FEAR
4/10/2007, 11:37 AM
Fixed.

If you take the question by position, like who was the epitome of dominance within the realm of college football at their position, the best player has to be Roy Williams, with Tommie Harris a close 2nd.

I personally think Josh Heupel is the player most responsible for the resurgence of Oklahoma football, and therefore should be towards the upper portion of any Stoops era list, namely at the top.

who was better in '03?...oh let me guess Woods. Riiiiiiggggghhhhht.....

JPNSKER
4/10/2007, 12:30 PM
All of John Blakes players???

JUST KIDDING!!!!!:D

MojoRisen
4/10/2007, 12:34 PM
Huepel, Calmus, Marshall, Williams, Q ,

Oh I forgot they did win a MNC

Pricetag
4/10/2007, 12:37 PM
who was better in '03?...oh let me guess Woods. Riiiiiiggggghhhhht.....
But he caught seven TDs against SMU! I'll give him 2002, but 2003? Hell naw.

OSUAggie
4/10/2007, 01:01 PM
He averaged more YPG in '03 and had the same amount of TD's as Clayton in '03 while drawing double and triple coverage... The one game he wasn't doubled was the SMU game...

Plus, his team was worse... by 43 points.

Collier11
4/10/2007, 01:03 PM
compare competition and games against top 25 teams. Id like to see those stats

JohnnyMack
4/10/2007, 01:13 PM
Rashaun "I Push Off" Woods vs. Mark Clayton.

Hard to tell who's really the better receiver. What's Rashaun doing again? Working at Blockbuster, trying to make an AFL roster, listening to "Glory Days" on his iPod?

OSUAggie
4/10/2007, 01:17 PM
So.. By that theory, Brian Bosworth was a terrible linebacker?

JohnnyMack
4/10/2007, 01:18 PM
So.. By that theory, Brian Bosworth was a terrible linebacker?

Injuries forced Bosworth out of the NFL, sucking forced Woods out.

OSUAggie
4/10/2007, 01:27 PM

Actually, it was injuries...

And he's in the NFL Europe.

OSUAggie
4/10/2007, 01:28 PM
compare competition and games against top 25 teams. Id like to see those stats

Woods '03

@ Nebraska 5 rec. 47 yds. 1 TD
vs. K-State 6 rec. 118 yds.
vs. Texas Tech 6 rec. 147 yds.
@ A&M 4 rec. 109 yds. 2 TD
@ OU 4 rec. 25 yds.
vs. Texas 4 rec. 43 yds. 1 TD
vs. Ole Miss 11 rec. 223 yds. 1 TD

AVG 6 Rec 102 yds 5 total TD

Clayton '03

@ Alabama 3 rec 54 yds 1 TD
vs. Texas 8 rec 190 yds 1 TD
vs. Colorado 6 rec 96 yds 2 TD
vs. OSU 6 rec 96 yds 1 TD
vs. Tech 8 rec 130 yds 1 TD
vs. K-State 8 rec 104 yds
vs. LSU 4 rec 32 yds

AVG 6 rec 100 yds 6 TD

MojoRisen
4/10/2007, 01:33 PM
Who has a ring?

I_SMELL_FEAR
4/10/2007, 01:45 PM
He averaged more YPG in '03 and had the same amount of TD's as Clayton in '03 while drawing double and triple coverage... The one game he wasn't doubled was the SMU game...

Plus, his team was worse... by 43 points.

blah blah blah...I will take Clayton any day over Woods. Clayton was a playmaker, and made the plays in big games and made the play after he caught the ball. Woods pushed off so he could catch the wounded duck wobbler sky ball that was being thrown to him before stepping out of bounds.

I would say that OU is osu's biggest game and Texas is OU's...so here are the stats from those games.

Woods vs OU - 4-25 0 TD's
Clayton vs OSU - 6-96 1 TD

Woods vs UT - 4-43 1 TD
Clayton vs UT - 8-190 1 TD

even in the rout we suffered at the Big XII vs K-State he still had over 100 yards receiving.

Octavian
4/10/2007, 01:46 PM
Mark Clayton at OU (http://youtube.com/watch?v=ulgiQFCREF8)

He dominated the Big XII with half the frame of Woods or TFRW

I_SMELL_FEAR
4/10/2007, 01:48 PM
Woods '03

@ OU 4 rec. 25 yds.

Clayton '03

vs. LSU 4 rec 32 yds

AVG 6 rec 100 yds 6 TD

if you are going to show what woods did against aTm, lets add Claytons 7 for 166 and 3 TD's.

I_SMELL_FEAR
4/10/2007, 01:54 PM
from wiki

"Mark Clayton was the best reciever in the Big XII in 2003, even better than Roy Williams, who was a close second. Who else was there? hmmmm. lets see....who did Tech have? Welker I guess would be a nice pick for 3rd best in Big XII. Oklahoma State had Woods, but he could only do it against overmatched teams like SMU."

and with that I end my argument. I dont expect to change any minds, and I dont expect mine to change.

(that wiki quote is all BS) ;)

OSUAggie
4/10/2007, 01:57 PM
I know Wikipedia's the be all end all but I'll use the Big XII record books.

Career Receiving Yards

1. Rashaun Woods, OSU 4,414
3. Mark Clayton, OU 3,241

1,200 yards isn't much of a difference, though... :rolleyes:

I_SMELL_FEAR
4/10/2007, 02:07 PM
I know Wikipedia's the be all end all but I'll use the Big XII record books.

Career Receiving Yards

1. Rashaun Woods, OSU 4,414
3. Mark Clayton, OU 3,241

1,200 yards isn't much of a difference, though... :rolleyes:

yeah, that was just a little reference to someone using wiki on another post last week to back their position.

OSUAggie
4/10/2007, 02:10 PM
ah, I'll shutup then.

Collier11
4/10/2007, 02:27 PM
ah, I'll shutup then.

The world would be a much better place if you ags followed that lesson more often!!;) :D ;) :D ;) :D

TopDawg
4/10/2007, 03:09 PM
Woods '03

@ OU 4 rec. 25 yds.

Clayton '03

vs. LSU 4 rec 32 yds

AVG 6 rec 100 yds 6 TD

Forget that fact that you left out Clayton's 7 for 166 and 3 TDs against A&M (as I_SMELL_FEAR pointed out) and what you've got heading into bowl season is:

Woods Avg
4.8 rpg, 81.5 ypg, 4 total TD

Clayton Avg
6.5 rpg, 111.7 ypg, 6 total TD

Then, because Woods played on a Cotton Bowl-caliber team, he went up against Ole Miss' D, and because Clayton was on a national championship-caliber team, he went up against LSU's D.

In other words, the numbers aren't really even close until you throw in Woods' performance against a much less talented group than the one Clayton faced.

snp
4/10/2007, 04:14 PM
Jesus osuAggie, you are using some retarded logic. Take away the running up of the score vs SMU and we wouldn't be having this dumb converstation.

The only better WRs than Clayton that year were Fitzgerald and maybe Mike Williams. Fellow Biletnikoff finalists.

OSUAggie
4/10/2007, 04:47 PM
Well.. if you take away this game and you take away that game..... That's dumb logic. The games were played. Rashaun averaged more yards per game than did Clayton. It doesn't mean Clayton's less of a player, but just that Rashaun had better #'s than Clayton.

I think Rashaun was a better college receiver than was Clayton. I think the #'s he put up in his career (including 2003) help to illustrate that idea. You people obviously disagree. So what?

I took the #'s from the 7 toughest opponents each of them played. That's half of the games that Clayton played that year, and a little over half of the games Rashaun played that year. Of the top 7 teams, each played 2 top-10 teams, the Big XII Champ, and a couple of other teams that were in and out of the top-25 all year.

Fraggle145
4/10/2007, 04:55 PM
Well.. if you take away this game and you take away that game..... That's dumb logic. The games were played. Rashaun averaged more yards per game than did Clayton. It doesn't mean Clayton's less of a player, but just that Rashaun had better #'s than Clayton.

I think Rashaun was a better college receiver than was Clayton. I think the #'s he put up in his career (including 2003) help to illustrate that idea. You people obviously disagree. So what?

I took the #'s from the 7 toughest opponents each of them played. That's half of the games that Clayton played that year, and a little over half of the games Rashaun played that year. Of the top 7 teams, each played 2 top-10 teams, the Big XII Champ, and a couple of other teams that were in and out of the top-25 all year.

just put up all the numbers, I'd like to see the rest of them and judge on the entire body of work...

although clayton is better. :D

snp
4/10/2007, 05:47 PM

I know it's retarded logic, I'm fighting tard with tard. Although you business majors might know more about "statistical anomalies" than I, which that game was. It was still pretty weak to run up the score on SMU like that.

The point is you started this stupid argument by slighting Clayton. We aren't talking about all time WR, we were discussing 2003.

Fine, and Clayton had 1 more TD and 2 less yards per game. Hardly conclusive evidence for either guy. And if you can't see the HUGE difference between the two bowl opponents, lay off the hooch. Your stats are serioulsy skewed in favor of Woods. Please post the entire set of stats, although opponents passing defense would be a great stat to have as well.

TopDawg
4/10/2007, 06:11 PM
I took the #'s from the 7 toughest opponents each of them played.

Funny that you picked 7 instead of 6 or 8. That's just enough room for you to allow A&M for Woods (4 rec. 109 yds. 2 TD) and not for Clayton (7 rec. 166 yds. 3 TDs).

Vaevictis
4/10/2007, 06:44 PM
Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

In any case, how about comparing apples to apples and compare using the teams they both played against?

BOOMERBRADLEY
4/10/2007, 06:46 PM
Aggie = Owned

They are used to that though :D

Vaevictis
4/10/2007, 07:00 PM
Woods '03

vs. K-State 6 rec. 118 yds. 0 TD
vs. Texas Tech 6 rec. 147 yds. 0 TD
@ OU 4 rec. 25 yds. 0 TD
@ Baylor 6 rec 125 yds 1 TD

AVG 5 Rec 95 yds 5 total TD

Clayton '03

vs. K-State 8 rec 104 yds 0 TD
vs. Texas Tech 8 rec 130 yds 1 TD
vs. A&M 7 rec 166 yds 3 TD
vs. OSU 6 rec 96 1 TD
vs. Baylor 6 rec 112 yds 2 TD

AVG 7 rec 133 yds 8 TD

Modified to include common opponents, assuming I didn't screw anything up.

And since I'm feeling saucy, I'll remind you that the beatdown of TAMU was so bad that Clayton sat the second half. He could have easily doubled his numbers in that game. Rashaun played at least into the third.

BOOMERBRADLEY
4/10/2007, 08:00 PM
I don't care who was "supposedly" better in college. Clayton is making millions in the NFL and Woods was an NFL bust who is playing for some team in Europe we have never even heard of.

Clayton = Better

goingoneight
4/10/2007, 10:06 PM
Where's Romar? :confused:

goingoneight
4/10/2007, 10:09 PM
Maybe Clayton didn't have super stats because... or I don't know... HE HAD THREE OTHER STARTING NFL RECEIVERS IN ROTATION WITH HIM!!! Did I mention Clayton's team had a better ground game as well? Don't have to chuck the rock quite as often when Q or AD is getting 4-5 YPC. Did I mention that Woods got the rock a lot, cuz oh, I don't know... he was their only big play maker? Come on, dude... Woods vs. Clayton? No competition, Clayton pwns.

oumartin
4/10/2007, 10:18 PM
Why are (f)aggies posting here?

PLaw
4/10/2007, 11:53 PM
It's been a 14 hour day and my mind is a little past total melt down, but hear goes:

Top Tier
Peterson - Dominate player
White - Dominate player, but choked on the big stage against SUC
R. Williams - Probably a little over rated, but had game changing moments in games that mattered.
Jamal Brown - One of the ALL TIME greats
T. Harris - Dominate, most unskilled eyes will not be able to appreciate what he could do at DT.
No. 4 - Receiver from 2006 could wind up as the greatest of all time at OU

Next Level - Players that just got it done.
V. Carter
Dvorcek
Runnels
Smith
Q
Strait
Wolf
Marshall
Calmus
Lehman
McDoogle
Hybl
Bradley

And now for the What If's
Michael Thompson - AA potential, man I will remember that wreck.
Bomar - Dumb *** of the Decade
Rawls - Joe Don Looney, take 2??
Grady - Gave it up too soon
Pendleton - One more year Carl. God bless you.
Wilkerson - AA potential, family needs drove move to NFL

I'm fried.

BOOMER SOONER

goingoneight
4/11/2007, 12:42 AM
It's been a 14 hour day and my mind is a little past total melt down, but hear goes:

Top Tier
Peterson - Dominate player
White - Dominate player, but choked on the big stage against SUC
R. Williams - Probably a little over rated, but had game changing moments in games that mattered.
Jamal Brown - One of the ALL TIME greats
T. Harris - Dominate, most unskilled eyes will not be able to appreciate what he could do at DT.
No. 4 - Receiver from 2006 could wind up as the greatest of all time at OU

Next Level - Players that just got it done.
V. Carter
Dvorcek
Runnels
Smith
Q
Strait
Wolf
Marshall
Calmus
Lehman
McDoogle
Hybl
Bradley

And now for the What If's
Michael Thompson - AA potential, man I will remember that wreck.
Bomar - Dumb *** of the Decade
Rawls - Joe Don Looney, take 2??
Grady - Gave it up too soon
Pendleton - One more year Carl. God bless you.
Wilkerson - AA potential, family needs drove move to NFL

I'm fried.

BOOMER SOONER

Don't worry, that #4 guy from 2006 has a nameplate now. :D

EstablishedSooner1967
4/11/2007, 10:08 AM
I think Ferguson and RW were Blake's recruits you cant count them.. only what BS brought in...

I_SMELL_FEAR
4/11/2007, 10:52 AM
Maybe Clayton didn't have super stats because... or I don't know... HE HAD THREE OTHER STARTING NFL RECEIVERS IN ROTATION WITH HIM!!! Did I mention Clayton's team had a better ground game as well? Don't have to chuck the rock quite as often when Q or AD is getting 4-5 YPC. Did I mention that Woods got the rock a lot, cuz oh, I don't know... he was their only big play maker? Come on, dude... Woods vs. Clayton? No competition, Clayton pwns.

well, to be completely fair, OSU had Tatum Bell and Morency and a pretty good ground game, we were splitting time with Works and Jones in '03.(After Q and before AD)

But you are spot on with the receiving group. Clayton, Brandon Jones, JeJuan Rankins, Mark Bradley...lot more options than Woods and.....a tight end perhaps....but if they wanted to throw, it was definately to Woods.

insuranceman_22
4/11/2007, 11:26 PM

Thank you - that definately needed to be said!

OSUAggie
4/12/2007, 11:04 AM
Dear Lord.

Maybe Clayton didn't have super stats because... or I don't know... HE HAD THREE OTHER STARTING NFL RECEIVERS IN ROTATION WITH HIM!!!

He also had a Heisman Trophy winner throwing him the ball. Your 2nd leading receiver (Brandon Jones) averaged 50 yards/game. Our 2nd leading receiver (D'Juan Woods) averaged 40 yards/game. Who are these 3 starting NFL receivers? JeJuan Rankins? Travis Wilson? The only other NFL-caliber receiver with him was Brandon Jones.

Did I mention Clayton's team had a better ground game as well? Don't have to chuck the rock quite as often when Q or AD is getting 4-5 YPC.

hmm... OU averaged 145.9 yards per game in 2003. OSU averaged 217.8 yards per game. That's close.....

Peterson was @ OU in 2003? Must've missed him.

Did I mention that Woods got the rock a lot, cuz oh, I don't know... he was their only big play maker? Come on, dude... Woods vs. Clayton? No competition, Clayton pwns.

Yah, he was the only one (except for those other 3 or 4 pro players in the offensive skill positions).

soonerdave79
4/12/2007, 11:30 AM
Mark Clayton at OU (http://youtube.com/watch?v=ulgiQFCREF8)

He dominated the Big XII with half the frame of Woods or TFRW

Wow! I propose that, from now on, we refer to Demarco Murray's moves as being Mark Clayton-like rather than Reggie Bush-like.

oumartin
4/12/2007, 02:25 PM
#1.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/200/456664182_8e83c1df41_o.gif

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/223/445905730_766f2b3462_o.gif

Collier11
4/12/2007, 03:15 PM
#1.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/200/456664182_8e83c1df41_o.gif

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/223/445905730_766f2b3462_o.gif

very nice!

GoState
4/12/2007, 03:41 PM
Holy butt-kicking, Batman...nice hits. The "Super Roy", I remember. Was that Clayton in video #1?

snp
4/12/2007, 06:17 PM
Yes.

oumartin
4/12/2007, 06:19 PM
i got some new gif. software so i have been working on little clips alot so stayed tuned for more from my favorite players and plays

I_SMELL_FEAR
4/13/2007, 02:20 PM
i got some new gif. software so i have been working on little clips alot so stayed tuned for more from my favorite players and plays

can you make them a little longer, or a little slower than clip 1...that one makes my left eye twitch and my cat runs in circles every time its up on the screen.

TIA.

the_ouskull
4/13/2007, 04:40 PM
Okay, if we start narrowing down the list by choosing 10 from the guys that have made All-American, even though that leaves out some absolute stallions, it gives us SOMETHING.

J.T. Thatcher (Nagurski Award Winner)

Josh Heupel (Walter Camp Trophy Winner, Heisman Runner-Up)

Rocky Calmus (twice) (Butkus Award Winner)

Roy Williams (Thorpe Award Winner)

Jeff Ferguson

Teddy Lehman (twice) (Butkus Award Winner, Bednarik Award Winner)

Tommie Harris (Lombardi Award Winner)

Brandon Everage

Jason White (Heisman Trophy Winner, 2-time Davey O'Brien Award Winner, Maxwell Award Winner)

Derrick Strait (Thorpe Award Winner)

Antonio Perkins

Mark Clayton (twice)

Jamaal Brown (twice) (Outland Trophy Winner)

Adrian Peterson (Heisman Runner-Up)

Dan Cody

Vince Carter

Rufus Alexander

I think that, immediately, we can eliminate Rufus Alexander, Vince Carter, Brandon Everage, Jeff Ferguson, and JT Thatcher. That leaves us with 12 bad men.

If I can only pick 10 of them, then here they are...

Josh Heupel, Rocky Calmus, Roy Williams, Tommie Harris, Jason White, Derrick Strait, Antonio Perkins, Mark Clayton, Jamaal Brown, and Adrian Peterson.

I hate not seeing Q, or Dan Cody, to name a couple, on that list. I also hate not seeing Trent Smith on that list. However, I think that the 10 I named provided more "holy sh*t" moments, game-after-game, than the guys I left off. I mean, Q was Q, but AD was a once-in-a-lifetime kinda talent. Dan Cody was great, but, he had games where he would disappear as well. Everybody does from time to time, but I can't justify putting him in there, or Q in there, ahead of Antonio Perkins, who was a decent corner, but an absolute game-changer, including single-handedly winning the UCLA game for us... at returner.

But, I may be on crack, so think whatever you'd like.

the_ouskull

oumartin
4/14/2007, 11:52 AM
here is another
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/200/458862506_44cfb94f00_o.gif

LittleWingSooner
4/14/2007, 12:06 PM
Here's my Stoops lineup
QB-Jason White(barely over Josh Heupel, either one is good)
RB-Adrian Peterson, Q would spell him from time to time.
FB-JD Runnels
WR-Mark Clayton, Malcolm Kelly, Bradley, Jones, Savage, Fagan
TE-Trent Smith
OL-Frank Romero, Jammal Brown, Wes Sims, Davin Joseph, Vince Carter
DL-Dan Cody, Wilkerson, Harris, Dvoracek
LB-Calmus, Lehman, Mitchell
CB-Derrick Strait, Reggie Smith
FS-Brandon Everage
SS-Roy Williams
NB-Brodney Pool
DB-Andre Woolfolk

K-Trey DiCarlo
P-Jeff Ferguson
KR-JT Thatcher
PR-Antonio Perkins

oumartin
4/14/2007, 12:10 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/222/458886853_2ae5b1a449_o.gif

SoonerRoads
4/15/2007, 08:42 AM
Another list to pass the time: Best OU players since Stoops arrived in the context of their impact each and every game!!

1: TRRW- Truly dominate college player
2: Heupel-Definition of a winning and clutch qb
3: D. Strait- True Lock Down corner
4: White- Great qb with great stats but struggled in the big games or woulda been higher
5: J.Brown-Dominating college OL
6: Calmus-Absolutely great LB
7: AD- Freshman year holds him up there, but didnt do enough final two years to be top of list IMO
8: Mark Clayton- Unstoppable most of the time
9: T. Lehman- Monster last two years of career

Great list, but I think I have to add Davin Joseph.

Just my take.