PDA

View Full Version : We either need a tivo or a DVD recorder type mechanism

MamaMia
4/9/2007, 10:43 PM
Whats the best device to record football games when you're away?
My cable service, Sudden Link offers some sort of a tivo deal. I just sent an inquiry to them by email because I don't know the specifics.

Frozen Sooner
4/9/2007, 10:44 PM
DVR works pretty well for me. I used to TiFaux and burn to DVD, then I realized I never actually rewatched a game after the first week.

proud gonzo
4/9/2007, 10:59 PM
yeah, if I don't watch the game later the same day, I just erase it. by then I've probably already heard the highlights anyway.

sooner_born_1960
4/9/2007, 11:09 PM
Mama. I still use old fashioned VHS tape.

proud gonzo
4/9/2007, 11:11 PM
DVR is much more better ;)

sooner_born_1960
4/9/2007, 11:13 PM
I'm sure it is. HD, and Digital too. Maybe someday, after the kid go to, and get out of, college.

MamaMia
4/9/2007, 11:18 PM
Mama. I still use old fashioned VHS tape.
Thats what I record on but its kind of complicated now that I have a cable box hooked up to it. If you change the channel, or if the electricity bleeps, it messes up. I want something thats really easy to do. I have never burned anything in my life. I don't even know all the things my remote control can do so whatever I get has to be easy.

Well, my email to Sudden Link came back as one of those Failure Demons, so I guess I'll have to call them tomorrow.

sooner_born_1960
4/9/2007, 11:21 PM
An electrical blip might mess up any solution you go with.

MamaMia
4/9/2007, 11:27 PM
If you use a tivo, can you turn it into a DVD or a VHS tape?

sooner_born_1960
4/9/2007, 11:28 PM
I would imagine you can, but I'd wait for someone more knowledgeable to answer.

MamaMia
4/9/2007, 11:39 PM
I would imagine you can, but I'd wait for someone more knowledgeable to answer.
They might be too chicken, because if they answer from experience then they may have some explaining to do. :P

goingoneight
4/9/2007, 11:43 PM
I got a DVD recorder... now I just gotta be certain I record everything I need. :( Last year, I recorded three times and got someone else's game twice :(.

Vaevictis
4/10/2007, 12:08 AM
If you use a tivo, can you turn it into a DVD or a VHS tape?

Yeah. Most of them have a secondary output that you can hook up to a recording device. In the worst case, you could take the output that would normally go to the TV and hook it up to the recording device instead.

The exception to this would be HDMI cables. Those rascally content providers have rigged HDMI such that you no longer control your own devices. If you want to make copies, stick to devices that use other hookups.

stonecoldsoonerfan
4/10/2007, 05:01 AM
my unit is about 3 1/2 year old, but i use a harddrive standalone unit, a panasonic e-85. it has around a 54 hour capacity harddrive at the 2 hour sp speed. you can edit out the commercials if you want to before you burn to disc.

these manufacturers seem to come out with a new model at least once a year so mine is "outdated", but if you want to record alot, i would get something like this.

hth.

MamaMia
4/10/2007, 12:53 PM
TiVo ROCKS. It's idiot proof...that's what I need.
Make your game DVD copies easy as shoo fly pie. ;)
That must be what I need then. :O