PDA

View Full Version : If tomorrow was September 1... what's your starting lineup (offense)?

goingoneight
4/9/2007, 10:06 PM
I haven't seen anything super impressive out of Brent's D yet, like the whorn man said, it looks as though they're in the middle of retooling it, so I'll reserve judgement for fall post-scrimmages.

But if tomorrow were the big day, and the biggest game fo teh year against the Mighty Mean Grean :eek:, I'd say this...

Sam Bradford starts at quarterback. Yeah, he didn't look like a Heisman winnar, but he was consistent, minimized mistakes, learned from his mistakes, he showed great arm and accuracy, and he doesn't stare down receivers like Halzle does. Halzle remains a healthy backup, and KN redshirts.

Allen Patrick may have fumbled early on, but he's paid his dues. You can't hate a guy with a BIG 12 Champeenship, and victories in such places as College Station, Columbia, and Stoolwater. His style of running is what OU's OL and receivers have grown accustomed to the last three years when we had The Great AD, and the Great AP punchin' D-lines up the gut. AP would not carry the ball 35 times a game, he would share snaps with Chris Brown early on, and then we'll throw in Madu or Murray just for fun. Obviously Murray is special, but I feel the experience AP and CB have would benefit them early on. Just my $.02

I likes me a two-TE system...
Joe John Finley and Jermaine Gresham start, and get plenty of strikes throw their way.

Malcom Kelly... 'nuff said... His presence complimented by a guy who I feel is a big-game player. Juaqin Iglesias may look like a shrimp next to some of the bulkier DB's in college football, but he's got ups, good hands, and great YAC ability. We would have been blown out in the Fiesta Bowl if not for JI, and we'd have been beaten by Baylor on OUr home field in 2005 if not for JI. These two are obviously the starters, and have more than enough quality players behind them to rotate in and out.

OL: Great talent everywhere, for the first time in I dunno how long under Stoops. I would assume we want OUr biggest guys on the left (weak) side, so I'll reserve judgment otherwise.

Collier11
4/9/2007, 10:42 PM
qb-Bradford
rb-patrick w/brown and murray getting 16-20 touches between them
te-finley, eldridge(blocking instances) and Gresham on two te
wr-kelly, iglesias w/ tennell, johnson, caleb, chaney rotating in
OL-T. Williams, Walker, Loadholt, Cooper, Robinson

insuranceman_22
4/9/2007, 11:19 PM
QB - Bradford
RBs - Patrick starts, Brown and Murray get touches....Murray may be my 3rd down back on all series......tinkering with the idea anyway, Eldridge in the I some
WR - Kelly, Tennell or Iglesias, Johnson....Caleb
TE - Finley & Gresham rotate or together in the two TE set, add Eldrigde w/ a 3 TE set
OL - Loadholt, T. Williams, Cooper.....not sure about the rest, I'll be like Stoops and name them in the Fall!

theboz44
4/9/2007, 11:32 PM
why would murray be your 3rd down back??...kevin wilson has said that chris brown is by far the best north-south runner of the bunch
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/04/08/sooners.murray.ap/index.html

goingoneight
4/9/2007, 11:36 PM
Most people think of a 3rd down back as a guy who pass blocks, maybe that's why... but you're right, CB does run the best right at the line.

illinisooner
4/10/2007, 12:08 AM
Does Braxton or Trent Williams start at right tackle? The Load has left tackle locked up, but I'm interested to see who will be opposite him. I thought Braxton was great last year until Colorado, but Williams was as good/maybe even better after that. Not sure how much stock I put in this, but during the Fiesta Bowl, Thom Brenneman said Williams might be one of the all time greats at OU.

Collier11
4/10/2007, 12:16 AM
Williams IMO. Braxton unfortunately lost his job due to injury and may not get it back unless there is another injury!

TopDawg
4/10/2007, 10:27 AM
why would murray be your 3rd down back??...kevin wilson has said that chris brown is by far the best north-south runner of the bunch
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/04/08/sooners.murray.ap/index.html

It depends on the 3rd down situation.

When I hear "3rd down back" I typically think of a back who is good catching passes and is good in space: i.e. Murray. But if it's 3rd and 1, that's a different situation. You typically don't hear your 3rd and 1 back referred to as your "3rd down back," though.

spatton713
4/10/2007, 03:38 PM
qb - nichol
rb - patrick and murray some brown
te - gresham then finley
wr - kelly, iglesies, murray some in slot...then tennell johnson rotating

humblesooner
4/10/2007, 04:01 PM
RBs - Patrick starts, Brown and Murray get touches....Murray may be my 3rd down back on all series......

The question was about the starting line up. Hopefully, we won't have to start the game with a 3rd down. :D

Landthief 1972
4/10/2007, 04:49 PM
QB: Sam Bradford. Telling stat from spring scrimmages: Hazle completion rate was just over 40%, Bradford was over 60%. Hazle can make magic happen, but his risk/reward ratio is too far out of wack.

RB: Murray will play. A lot. Look for him at slot as well. AP and Brown will be fighting for short-down and pass situation play time.

WR: Kelly and Iglesius, but look out for Tennell, Iggie.

TE: If Murray is playing a lot of slot, it will affect the playing time of the TEs. Joe Jon gets better every year and he has the best hands/block package.

OL: The Load, Cooper, Williams, others will fight for play time in remaining slots.

Now if we just had someone who could kick field goals... hmmmm.... ;)

Collier11
4/10/2007, 05:02 PM
If Murray doesnt end up with atleast 1000 all-purpose yds, something is seriously wrong

East Coast Bias
4/10/2007, 05:41 PM
Bradford at QB. Alternate Patrick and Brown, absolutely find a way(2-back,slot) to put Murray on the field most of the time. He will make something happen in any situation. Giving him a lot of action will make all the coaches look good... I agree with the announcers who say he will jepardize Patrick's lock-up starter role....

BOOMERBRADLEY
4/10/2007, 05:44 PM
What about Madu?

I think he will get some time.

CatfishSooner
4/10/2007, 07:00 PM
madu ride pine..

bixby28
4/10/2007, 07:21 PM
QB - Bradford
RB - Allen Patrick, Demarco Murray, Brown
WR - Kelly, Tennel, Iglesias, Johnson
TE - Gresham, Finley, Eldridge (healthy)
FB - Zaslaw, Eldridge

BOOMERBRADLEY
4/10/2007, 07:50 PM
madu ride pine..

That's not what the coaches said...

pardon the interREDtion
4/11/2007, 12:20 AM
patrick to safety

goingoneight
4/11/2007, 12:26 AM
I always wondered why we didn't let him play S when AD was healthy, dood's a rare find... in that I mean, a guy who has multiple talents on the field and plays DB as good as you could ask for. He can fuggin' HIT too! :eek:

birddog
4/11/2007, 05:57 AM
looks like dominique franks is doing well for himself...

NORMAN – Bobby Jack Wright stood on Owen Field, pointing far across toward the west sideline to mark the spot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's the spot from where defensive back Dominique Franks took aim on DeMarco Murray, who was racing down the east sideline.

That was the scene from a recent spring scrimmage. Murray bolting away — shouts of "He's gone!” and "Touchdown!” rising among teammates — only to see Franks track him down and save a score.

"He had to cover a lot of ground to get there, and then cut him off,” said Wright, OU's secondary coach, "which surprised me, because DeMarco's fast.”

Fitting, considering Franks may just be surging stride for stride with Murray as the Sooner surging to the most impressive spring.

A redshirt freshman from Tulsa Union, Franks is jetting up the depth chart, pushing not only for playing time, but also a starting role.

With free safety Darien Williams missing this spring to rehab from off-season knee surgery, Franks has capitalized on opportunity and his own versatility. He's spent time at all five secondary spots this spring.

"It's crazy,” Franks said. "I've played the nickel spot, both safeties, both corners.”

When the Sooners shift into their nickel package, Nic Harris slides to nickel back and Franks steps in at free safety.

In OU's quest to secure its secondary, Franks could emerge as the key puzzle piece.

The Sooners seem comfortable with a deep four: Reggie Smith and Marcus Walker at the corners, D.J. Wolfe at strong safety and Harris at free safety. The dilemma has always been finding a fifth for when Harris is the nickel.

The answer may be Franks.

"Right now,” Wright said, "he's our best safety when we go to nickel.”

Wright said he saw it coming.

"He just showed up the first couple of practices,” Wright said. "I made the comment, ‘He's going to earn his way on the field. He's going to play his way on that field.'

"And he's been doing that the entire spring. There's no question, he's elevated himself quite a bit.”

Franks may have made his biggest impression in OU's second major scrimmage, intercepting two passes.

And he's widened his appeal by playing multiple positions. Franks doubles as a top backup at corner, the position he played at Union.

"Safety is very new, but I like it a lot,” Franks said. "I can roam and not have just one side to lock down. It's a lot of freedom.”