PDA

View Full Version : NEWT JUMPS THE SHARK! Flips off republican base!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/9/2007, 02:13 PM
Sorry SicEm. (but, I'm not surprised) Newt has called for Alberto Gonzalez to step down as Atty General. May be Newt's way of declining to run for POTUS.

SicEmBaylor
4/9/2007, 02:34 PM
Sorry SicEm. (but, I'm not surprised) Newt has called for Alberto Gonzalez to step down as Atty General. May be Newt's way of declining to run for POTUS.

First of all, this isn't new. He's said for several weeks now he thinks Alberto Gonzales should step down.

Have you listened to his reasons? It has nothing to do with Gonzales firing the prosecutors and everything to do with the job that Gonzales has done as AG.

Do you honestly think that Gonzales is such a titanic figure to the Republican base that someone's presidential aspirations are instantly dashed for suggesting it's time for him to leave? ALBERTO GONZALES?

Can you tell me what Alberto Gonzales has done since becoming the AG that gets you so hot and bothered that you can't tolerate legitimate criticism of him?

4/9/2007, 02:44 PM
First of all, this isn't new. He's said for several weeks now he thinks Alberto Gonzales should step down.

Have you listened to his reasons? It has nothing to do with Gonzales firing the prosecutors and everything to do with the job that Gonzales has done as AG.

Do you honestly think that Gonzales is such a titanic figure to the Republican base that someone's presidential aspirations are instantly dashed for suggesting it's time for him to leave? ALBERTO GONZALES?

Can you tell me what Alberto Gonzales has done since becoming the AG that gets you so hot and bothered that you can't tolerate legitimate criticism of him? It's just another republican cave-in in the making. I'm repulsed, and finding it hard to believe repub leaders don't seem to get it that firings and resignations are exactly what the dims want.

I believe they either don't have the stomach to fight to the end, or they believe the dims and media can convince the masses that once again, the repubs are bad. The nitty gritty, though, is that I think they believe they just want to get the persecutions over with. (as though the dims aren't going to come up with someone new to destroy) It's sad to see all this happen.

Scott D
4/9/2007, 02:46 PM
It's just another republican cave-in in the making. I'm repulsed, and finding it hard to believe repub leaders don't seem to get it that firings and resignations are exactly what the dims want.

I believe they either don't have the stomach to fight to the end, or they believe the dims and media can convince the masses that once again, the repubs are bad. The nitty gritty, though, is that I think they believe they just want to get the persecutions over with. (as though the dims aren't going to come up with someone new to destroy) It's sad to see all this happen.

slow down, we're talking about a big firm lawyer who only got his job because he's pals with the sitting president.

4/9/2007, 02:48 PM
slow down, we're talking about a big firm lawyer who only got his job because he's pals with the sitting president.Are you taking lessons from SanAntonioSooner?

SicEmBaylor
4/9/2007, 02:49 PM
It's just another republican cave-in in the making. I'm repulsed, and finding it hard to believe repub leaders don't seem to get it that firings and resignations are exactly what the dims want.

Okay, so you're fine with keeping people in very important positions, who do at the very best a barely mediocre job, just so you can save face with the Democrats and not admit that the person doing the job is lousy?

God, I hope there aren't too many Americans who think the way you do.

Scott D
4/9/2007, 02:51 PM
Are you taking lessons from SanAntonioSooner?

what do you mean

frankensooner
4/9/2007, 02:55 PM
I think the whole Dims v. Repugs thing is played out, why resort to name calling?

NormanPride
4/9/2007, 02:57 PM
Okay, so you're fine with keeping people in very important positions, who do at the very best a barely mediocre job, just so you can save face with the Democrats and not admit that the person doing the job is lousy?

How long have you been following politics?

bri
4/9/2007, 03:00 PM
I think the whole Dims v. Repugs thing is played out, why resort to name calling?

Because it's way easier than measured out, rational thought?

bri
4/9/2007, 03:02 PM
Oh, and don't worry. Even if Newt does jump the shark, he'll just leave it while it's recovering from cancer in order to run off with a younger shark. :D

Hatfield
4/9/2007, 03:02 PM
boobies

sanantoniosooner
4/9/2007, 03:03 PM
I own political threads and I almost never post in them :D

Dio
4/9/2007, 03:12 PM
Oh, and don't worry. Even if Newt does jump the shark, he'll just leave it while it's recovering from cancer in order to run off with a younger shark. :D

Ouch!

and Heh

4/9/2007, 03:16 PM
what do you meanIt just sounded like his brand of humor to me.

SicEmBaylor
4/9/2007, 03:18 PM
This isn't a Dem v. GOP thing it's a GOP v. GOP thing really.

4/9/2007, 03:20 PM

God, I hope there aren't too many Americans who think the way you do.You can do better than that. You know this isn't about saving face with the dim..it''s about beating them.

proud gonzo
4/9/2007, 03:23 PM
http://accordionguy.blogware.com/_attachments/1500948/hasselhoff_in_the_surf.gif

Rhino
4/9/2007, 03:24 PM
It's because Alberto speaks that ghetto talk.

Frozen Sooner
4/9/2007, 03:27 PM
slow down, we're talking about a big firm lawyer who only got his job because he's pals with the sitting president.

No, be fair. He got his job because he's pals with the sitting president AND managed to save him from having to answer questions about drunk driving in voir dire.

Actually, he did a pretty good job on the Texas Supreme Court, so it's not like being a big-firm lawyer is all he did. I'm certainly no fan of the current administration, but the Gonzales family is all right with me. They're good people.

royalfan5
4/9/2007, 03:28 PM
Is there any way we could get a toolshed smilie to affix to the outside of political threads? I think that would really brighten up the front page of the SO.

bri
4/9/2007, 03:28 PM
You can do better than that. You know this isn't about saving face with the dim..it''s about beating them.

So, is being one of the world's largest providers of self-defeating political rancor as rewarding as you make it seem, Willie?

SicEmBaylor
4/9/2007, 03:29 PM
You can do better than that. You know this isn't about saving face with the dim..it''s about beating them.
But it's not about beating the Dems at all costs.
It's about good government and reducing its size.

Frozen Sooner
4/9/2007, 03:29 PM
Oh, yeah-the Gonzales' also make killer ribs and really good moose jerky.

yermom
4/9/2007, 03:30 PM

yeah, just like the President, Rumsfeld, etc...

Frozen Sooner
4/9/2007, 03:30 PM
Random factoid-Alberto's sister-in-law does a killer Donald Duck impression.

Scott D
4/9/2007, 03:31 PM
No, be fair. He got his job because he's pals with the sitting president AND managed to save him from having to answer questions about drunk driving in voir dire.

Actually, he did a pretty good job on the Texas Supreme Court, so it's not like being a big-firm lawyer is all he did. I'm certainly no fan of the current administration, but the Gonzales family is all right with me. They're good people.

Which brings up the question of..is he being set up as a patsy by his own 'friends', or is he legitimately responsible for his own foot being stuck in the quicksand.

SicEmBaylor
4/9/2007, 03:31 PM
I don't get the pathological hatred of Democrats that prevents some people from even accepting the fact that not every damned person in the GOP is a candidate for sainthood.

SicEmBaylor
4/9/2007, 03:32 PM
yeah, just like the President, Rumsfeld, etc...
I agree.

Frozen Sooner
4/9/2007, 03:34 PM
Which brings up the question of..is he being set up as a patsy by his own 'friends', or is he legitimately responsible for his own foot being stuck in the quicksand.

Honestly, I think he's responsible for his own foot being stuck in the quicksand. All he would have had to do is say "Yeah, I fired 'em for not toeing the party line. They're political appointments. I have the right to do it. Suck it." Sure, there would have been some raised eyebrows and it would have been more evidence of high-handedness within the administration, but it would have been a hell of a lot better than what he has been doing. He's been acting like he did something wrong and is trying to hide it.

Scott D
4/9/2007, 03:37 PM
Honestly, I think he's responsible for his own foot being stuck in the quicksand. All he would have had to do is say "Yeah, I fired 'em for not toeing the party line. They're political appointments. I have the right to do it. Suck it." Sure, there would have been some raised eyebrows and it would have been more evidence of high-handedness within the administration, but it would have been a hell of a lot better than what he has been doing. He's been acting like he did something wrong and is trying to hide it.

Now we just need an obligatory "just like a messican" from THA to make this complete. ;)

I think this if anything overshadows why political appointments to the cabinet are ill gotten in most cases. I still have to think that someone working out of 1600 Penn. Ave. suggested to him that he deny deny deny at the beginning.

Frozen Sooner
4/9/2007, 03:40 PM
Heh. I think even THA would have to respect Mexican immigrants who work their way up from being migrant laborers to RICE Law and federal judgeships (for one) and cabinet positions (for the others.)

Like I said, I have a great deal of respect for the Gonzales family.

4/9/2007, 03:43 PM
I don't get the pathological hatred of Democrats that prevents some people from even accepting the fact that not every damned person in the GOP is a candidate for sainthood.Shame on you for going so silly on us...maybe you're joking. Yeah, I get it.

Scott D
4/9/2007, 03:48 PM
Heh. I think even THA would have to respect Mexican immigrants who work their way up from being migrant laborers to RICE Law and federal judgeships (for one) and cabinet positions (for the others.)

Like I said, I have a great deal of respect for the Gonzales family.

nah, THA knows somewhere in that family a child molester is hiding ;)

I've got no issues with the Gonzales family in any way. I just don't think that cabinet appointments are made necessarily with the best interest of the country in mind. Then again, political elections show that a majority of the American public have no idea what actions would be in their best interests.

Vaevictis
4/9/2007, 03:50 PM

Heh, flipping off the base? Maybe he's just getting back to his Contract with America, and remembering that where positions in the public trust are concerned, even the appearance of impropriety is improper.

And this whole mess looks appears improper at the least.

Remember the Contract with America? The thing that put your guys in power? The thing that would have kept them in power had they continued to adhere to it? Yeah, that Contract with America.

SicEmBaylor
4/9/2007, 03:51 PM
Shame on you for going so silly on us...maybe you're joking. Yeah, I get it.
Silly, WTF? I'm serious.

You know, I'm convinced that you aren't serious when you say all this ****. You couldn't possibly be. You're just messing with us.

Frozen Sooner
4/9/2007, 03:52 PM
nah, THA knows somewhere in that family a child molester is hiding ;)

I've got no issues with the Gonzales family in any way. I just don't think that cabinet appointments are made necessarily with the best interest of the country in mind. Then again, political elections show that a majority of the American public have no idea what actions would be in their best interests.

True. Minor correction: Alberto got his undergrad at RICE and his JD at Harvard. I'm pretty sure Rene got both his undergrad and JD at RICE.

Rene's kids are Gabe (property attorney in Portland, played semi-pro soccer for a few years) David (high school teacher and soccer coach) and Paul (1st Lt. in the Marine Corps, set up a program to get Iraqi kids school supplies.)

Scott D
4/9/2007, 03:53 PM
s'ok Mike, it's a cousin of a cousin of a brother's cousin that likes little kids according to THA. :D

Sam Spade
4/9/2007, 03:58 PM

Which is more important to you: "Beating the Dims" or "Doing what's best for America?"

jeremy885
4/9/2007, 04:01 PM
Which is more important to you: "Beating the Dims" or "Doing what's best for America?"

Aren't they the same thing? ;)

SicEmBaylor
4/9/2007, 04:02 PM
Unfortunately, we've already established that it's the latter although as he sees things there isn't a difference between the two.

Scott D
4/9/2007, 04:02 PM
I think it's more important to defeat the two party monarchy.

SicEmBaylor
4/9/2007, 04:03 PM
Have some spek.

bri
4/9/2007, 04:11 PM

Well, Willie half agrees with you.

Scott D
4/9/2007, 04:14 PM
Well, Willie half agrees with you.

scary isn't it....and I mean scary in that 'my god, phyllis diller is calling me again' kind of way.

jk the sooner fan
4/9/2007, 04:21 PM
i think since Newt recently admitted that he had his own extra-marital affair, during the time he was trying to impeach Clinton for the same thing tells me he should STFU and fade into bolivia

seriously Newt, you had your 15 minutes....sit back and let somebody else do it

Scott D
4/9/2007, 04:23 PM
do you think Newt's ema has affected him as much politically as Gary Hart's ema?

bri
4/9/2007, 04:25 PM
Rembember, Monicagate wasn't about extra-marital affairs but rather about lying under oath...about extra-marital affairs. :D

SicEmBaylor
4/9/2007, 04:27 PM
seriously Newt, you had your 15 minutes....sit back and let somebody else do it

Except, unfortunately, there really isn't anyone else worth a damned to me.

jk the sooner fan
4/9/2007, 04:29 PM
Except, unfortunately, there really isn't anyone else worth a damned to me.

i think your standards are too high

i'm officially on the Fred Thompson bandwagon

he has the balls to say what needs to be said

Scott D
4/9/2007, 04:30 PM
Actually, the most amusing thing I've heard so far is John Edwards backing out of the televised debate in Detroit simply because it's being moderated by our local Fox station.

jk the sooner fan
4/9/2007, 04:31 PM
Edwards wont be in the race after the first of the year....i'd be shocked if he is

Scott D
4/9/2007, 04:33 PM
I don't expect him to make it to the fall, either based upon his wife's health or his constant shooting himself in the foot.

Mjcpr
4/9/2007, 04:34 PM
Actually, the most amusing thing I've heard so far is John Edwards backing out of the televised debate in Detroit simply because it's being moderated by our local Fox station.

He was probably just afraid of being mugged. :D

Scott D
4/9/2007, 04:35 PM
He was probably just afraid of being mugged. :D

hah....but yet we can pull off the MLB All-Star Game, Super Bowl, World Series and Wrestlemania in an 18 month span with few to no incidents :D

bri
4/9/2007, 04:39 PM

Obama's also backed out now.

bluedogok
4/9/2007, 04:44 PM
But it's not about beating the Dems at all costs.
It's about good government and reducing its size.
Now we know you are an idealist, the role of the parties in power is always to strengthen and grow their power. BOTH parties have increased the size of gov't every year they have had power and have eroded the rights of the people at every opportunity under both parties.

The reduction in the "size" of gov't through "privatization" of agencies is nothing more than paying off people for their money. Look at who the contracts go to and how involved they have been in campaigns, they actually end up doing less than before only for more money but they made someone a bunch of money.

I think it's more important to defeat the two party monarchy.This is the truth, there will never be change as long as the 2 parties do nothing more than consolidate power between them. I see no real difference between the existing parties, they are both still full of professional politicians that take money from the wealthy tin exchange for legislation and both parties are guilty of this. Both parties are as corrupt as the Roman Senate was at the fall of Rome.

Mjcpr
4/9/2007, 04:56 PM
hah....but yet we can pull off the MLB All-Star Game, Super Bowl, World Series and Wrestlemania in an 18 month span with few to no incidents :D

Pfffft, that's just because Detroit didn't win any of them. :D

SicEmBaylor
4/9/2007, 05:00 PM
Now we know you are an idealist, the role of the parties in power is always to strengthen and grow their power. BOTH parties have increased the size of gov't every year they have had power and have eroded the rights of the people at every opportunity under both parties.

The reduction in the "size" of gov't through "privatization" of agencies is nothing more than paying off people for their money. Look at who the contracts go to and how involved they have been in campaigns, they actually end up doing less than before only for more money but they made someone bunch of money.

You're right about the two parties, but I'm not talking strictly about privatizing government programs. I'm talking about eliminating any and all programs that aren't directly related to one of the enumerated powers of Congress or a responsibility of the Executive Branch. I actually care very little whether or not the government uses a private contractor or if it does the job itself if that program shouldn't exist to begin with. A great example is medicare that uses 3rd party contractors to pay physician claims. I don't give a **** if the government did that itself or not but I do give a **** about Medicare in any form existing.

This is the truth, there will never be change as long as the 2 parties do nothing more than consolidate power between them. I see no real difference between the existing parties, they are both still full of professional politicians that take money from the wealthy tin exchange for legislation and both parties are guilty of this. Both parties are as corrupt as the Roman Senate was at the fall of Rome.

You're totally 100% right. Now, I don't want to rehash this debate again but I believe that we can thank the universality of voting rights for the redistribution of wealth and property in exchange for social welfare.

Scott D
4/9/2007, 05:01 PM
Obama's also backed out now.

I'm hoping he didn't use Edwards' lame excuse as well. Ironically out of the 3 stations here that do their own news (Fox, NBC, ABC) the Fox station has the highest percentage of on air personalities that are minorities. Not exactly a real conservative slant at least locally.

Ike
4/9/2007, 05:39 PM
I'm hoping he didn't use Edwards' lame excuse as well. Ironically out of the 3 stations here that do their own news (Fox, NBC, ABC) the Fox station has the highest percentage of on air personalities that are minorities. Not exactly a real conservative slant at least locally.
Typically local fox affiliates are pretty good stations. Its just their nationwide news channel that is teh suck.

bri
4/9/2007, 06:04 PM

Well, he's probably still steamed enough over that whole "Obama went to Terrorist Junior High, home of the Fightin' Suicide Bombers!" thing that even local outlets that are affiliated with FNC in name only are on his sh*t list...;)

Jerk
4/9/2007, 06:07 PM
Alberto can immigrate back to Mexico for all I care.

He's not on 'my side' when it comes to my main issue. In fact, he would have made a much better A.G. for a Democrat.

Frozen Sooner
4/9/2007, 06:12 PM
Alberto is as much a natural-born US Citizen as you and I are. He was born here. His grandparents were likely illegal immigrants.

bluedogok
4/9/2007, 06:14 PM
...or his great-great grandparents were already in Texas before it became part of the US.

Frozen Sooner
4/9/2007, 06:21 PM
...or his great-great grandparents were already in Texas before it became part of the US.

No, his grandparents were pretty likely illegals. His GPs weren't born in the US or in what's now the US.

4/9/2007, 06:23 PM
You're right about the two parties, but I'm not talking strictly about privatizing government programs. I'm talking about eliminating any and all programs that aren't directly related to one of the enumerated powers of Congress or a responsibility of the Executive Branch. I actually care very little whether or not the government uses a private contractor or if it does the job itself if that program shouldn't exist to begin with. A great example is medicare that uses 3rd party contractors to pay physician claims. I don't give a **** if the government did that itself or not but I do give a **** about Medicare in any form existing.

You're totally 100% right. Now, I don't want to rehash this debate again but I believe that we can thank the universality of voting rights for the redistribution of wealth and property in exchange for social welfare.NOW you're making sense. Thanx. Knew you had it in you.

Jerk
4/9/2007, 06:31 PM
That problem could be solved by allowing only taxpayers and retired taxpayers to vote :texan:

At the very least, those on welfare should lose their right to vote. They could get it back after getting a job.

Frozen Sooner
4/9/2007, 06:34 PM
You talkin' just federal income tax? 'Cause there's some small business owners that wouldn't get to vote in that case, while there's a bunch of trust-funders that would...

bri
4/9/2007, 06:38 PM
Things were so much simpler back when we only let white, land-owning males vote. :D

SicEmBaylor
4/9/2007, 11:56 PM
Things were so much simpler back when we only let white, land-owning males vote. :D
YMSSRA

Dead Horse
4/10/2007, 12:12 AM
it hurts...oh it hurts......

SoonerTerry
4/10/2007, 01:58 AM
hey dog...... di ju see the size of that chicken...