PDA

View Full Version : Turgeon

jk the sooner fan
4/9/2007, 11:12 AM
so Turgeon is rumored to be the leading contender to be hired by a&m in the wake of Gillespie going to Kentucky

makes me think about what could have been.....if things would be any different at all

i'm not griping about Capel....but i know the comparisons will be made..even though Turgeon takes over a program left in much better shape than what Capel got

i look at our program and unless we pull in a huge recruit sometime soon, i see this program taking another 4-5 years to improve over what we are now

fwsooner22
4/9/2007, 12:17 PM
so Turgeon is rumored to be the leading contender to be hired by a&m in the wake of Gillespie going to Kentucky

makes me think about what could have been.....if things would be any different at all

i'm not griping about Capel....but i know the comparisons will be made..even though Turgeon takes over a program left in much better shape than what Capel got

i look at our program and unless we pull in a huge recruit sometime soon, i see this program taking another 4-5 years to improve over what we are now

We can all thank Calvin for the 4-5 years......Our basketball program was left in more of a mess than any of us care to admit........If you look at the kids Calvin ran off (Drew Lavendar, L-Mac and others), then he found a way to put us on probation and then left, causing the best recruiting class in 20 years to leave. Calvin would call someone who did something like that "selfish".....Hmmmmmmm......It will always be about Calvin in Calvins world....:mad:

jk the sooner fan
4/9/2007, 12:30 PM
well, if the big recruits had stayed with their original LOI, then things might be different....that was my point...we'll never know of course, but you always wonder if a different hire would have been able to keep one or more of those kids.....

my thoughts are that kelvin was a good coach and did alot of good things for our program....but i'm also of the opinion that he's the kind of coach that can only take a program about as far as he took ours......i think IU will get about the same thing from him that we did......

CobraKai
4/9/2007, 12:55 PM

Loadholt is huge. And he plays basketball. Does he count? :)

colleyvillesooner
4/9/2007, 01:46 PM
So, we're gonna do this whole Sampson thing again? Awesome.

Mental note to unsubsribe. :D

jk the sooner fan
4/9/2007, 01:48 PM
no need, i was really reflecting on what could have been after he left....just sparking conversation

mods are free to lock it up if necessary

colleyvillesooner
4/9/2007, 01:53 PM
no need, i was really reflecting on what could have been after he left....just sparking conversation

mods are free to lock it up if necessary

Oh, I know what you were doing. Vaild thread wit ha good point, but I just know what it will turn into when the sampson defenders get here dispute fwsooner22's claim.

fwsooner22
4/9/2007, 01:54 PM
He has been gone one season..........Does anyone still talk about Billy, Switzer, Gibbs, of course they do..........That's what makes it fun.....instead we could talk about....oh nevermind....I know Colleyville knows what I am trying to say

colleyvillesooner
4/9/2007, 02:03 PM
Yeah, I know, but that's not what JK's thread was about.

Yes, JK, I think if we can get a big time recruit, like Jai Lucas, we can turn it around quicker.

I really can't wait to see how Blake griffin adjusts.

fwsooner22
4/9/2007, 02:07 PM

Yes, JK, I think if we can get a big time recruit, like Jai Lucas, we can turn it around quicker.

JK's thread was about how long it will take to turn it around. Calvin is a factor in the product. Always will be. For the most part though you are right but there are no threads about Calvin anymore and I just cannot help myself..........

jk the sooner fan
4/9/2007, 02:11 PM

getting Lucas would be a HUGE coup for Capel......but i just dont see a kid like that coming here, especially considering his other choices and the situations there

we need a point guard more than sic'em needs to get laid

colleyvillesooner
4/9/2007, 02:11 PM
zing!

jk the sooner fan
4/9/2007, 02:14 PM
fw - Jk's thread was alot less about Sampson and alot more about the hiring process and the recruiting aftermath.....Turgeon was on the short list, or so it seemed.....maybe he really wasnt.......at the time, OU would appear to have been a much hotter spot to transfer into than A&M is now.....based on performance and recruits....and then we hire Capel who is REALLY young and unproven with alot of upside.....

now A&m is near the top of the conference with a strong tourney showing and strong recruiting class, and Turgeon will take that program over rather than ours.....

just funny how things work out

fwsooner22
4/9/2007, 02:17 PM
getting Lucas would be a HUGE coup for Capel......but i just dont see a kid like that coming here, especially considering his other choices and the situations there

we need a point guard more than sic'em needs to get laid

I thought it was all immaculate down there in Waco.....Ya mean they do that stuff.........wow;)

KStatePike
4/9/2007, 03:09 PM
I think A&M could have done a little better than this.

Bourbon St Sooner
4/9/2007, 03:20 PM
Well, as an ardent Kelvin supporter (at one time), what I heard on these boards is people were tired of Kelvin's "snore" ball. In which case, you'd get more of the same with Turgeon.

No doubt Capel's greatest failure in his first year was not keeping the recruits we had, but I'm willing to give him a few years. I wouldn't feel any better about our situation if Turgeon were the coach and there's certainly no certainty that he would have kept Reynolds, etc.

jk the sooner fan
4/9/2007, 03:28 PM
i'm not sure i'd call letting the recruits go a failure of Capel......i dont think thats fair imo.....now, what he does with the program forward from here is all him

Bourbon St Sooner
4/10/2007, 10:12 AM
I'm not really holding it against Capel for losing the recruits. He tried to keep them, but he did not recruit them and they were not familiar with him and did not have a lot of time to become familiar with him. I understand why they went elsewhere and the University was right to let them out of the LOI.

It still was a failure though, because they were signed and he wasn't able to keep them. But overall I was happy with what I saw on the court with the talent on hand. I really didn't expect us to be competitive with the upper echelon teams.

colleyvillesooner
4/10/2007, 10:26 AM
Your two paragraphs kinda go against each other. How can it be a failure? He tried to keep some players that he didn't recruit, and as much as some people don't want to believe, the player commits to a coach, not a school.

He tried his best to keep them, but I don't see it as a failure.

4/13/2007, 02:14 PM
I think A&M could have done a little better than this.

Interesting... who would you have gone for, were you Bill Byrne?

For the record, I think he is a solid fit for A&M. Family man, (back me up on this, Micco... College Station is THE perfect family town) and it was a step up for him.

Basketball folks are starting to know who Texas A&M is. Who knew WSU were the "Shockers" before all of this?

4/13/2007, 02:16 PM
Although, that is one COOL maskot name.

crawfish
4/13/2007, 02:27 PM
There were also a lot of people upset that we took Stoops over Franchione.

I think I'll trust Joe C. :)

OSUAggie
4/13/2007, 02:57 PM
Who knew WSU were the "Shockers" before all of this?

Serious?

skycat
4/13/2007, 03:15 PM
Basketball folks are starting to know who Texas A&M is. Who knew WSU were the "Shockers" before all of this?

All, but the most casual, collegiate sports fans.

The thing that would worry me about Turgeon, is that he didn't improve his recruiting connections very much in his time at WSU. I think the odds are against him maintaining the success that BCG started. But that's mostly because I don't think that there are very many coaches around as good as BCG.

But the Aggies were faced with the fact that there weren't a lot of really solid choices available to them.

OSUAggie
4/13/2007, 03:53 PM
All, but the most casual, collegiate sports fans.

The thing that would worry me about Turgeon, is that he didn't improve his recruiting connections very much in his time at WSU. I think the odds are against him maintaining the success the BCG started. But that's mostly because I don't think that there are very many coaches around as BCG.

But the Aggies were faced with the fact that there weren't a lot of really solid choices available to them.

Eddie was saying some interesting things about the WSU job and its recruiting base on the radio yesterday. He basically said that the only downfall to the job was its recruiting base, suggesting that the state of Kansas produces almost 0 talent anymore and that they have to play 3rd fiddle to KU and KSU for any in-state talent that may be worthy of a scholarship. There was a bit more to it than that, but I've drank since then.

In an Eagle piece today, Eddie said he was "disappointed in Scott" that he took his name out of consideration for the job. The arena is nice (I think it just got renovated??) and the fans are interested, so those are definitely two qualities that are appealing, plus playing in the Valley makes it easier to reach the NCAA's w/o winning the conference tournament.

As for aTm, it will be interesting to see whether or not BCG did enough to establish the program to a point that Turgeon can come in and keep it rolling. I think if Gillespie was there for just one more year, it would be much more stable, but that obviously wasn't the case.

Salt City Sooner
4/13/2007, 10:27 PM
Local news is reporting that WSU has offered the job to Marshall from Winthrop. Total compensation is believed to be in the neighborhood of $1 million annually. He said he wants to sleep on it & have an answer tomorrow.

fwsooner22
4/16/2007, 03:54 PM
Well Colleyville it took awhile but the Calvinist's have provided the red spek as you predicted. No comments from Soonerboomer93 in the thread, just red spek because he disagrees........

soonerboomer93
4/16/2007, 05:58 PM
Oh, i'm not a Calvinist but the fact of the matter that the same threads over and over whining and bitching about the calvin situation are tiring and bull****. Everybit as much on the basketball board as they people who still whine and bitch and blake and *************** are on the football board. The frank matter is that if you're going to continue to whine about the past instead of putting effort into supporting the future, then I will neg you.

soonerboomer93
4/16/2007, 06:08 PM
oh, it's the same treatment I give to people who continue to whine about what happened in the oregon game, and the same thing i'm about to do to all the damn espn/ncaa/usc/nd conspiracy "experts". Frankly it just gets old. If you want to talk about how we played ball under Sampson vs how we play under Capel fine, but people who only want to say "so and so ****ed us over" then frankly, they just need to get over it and quit their bitchin.

stoopified
4/17/2007, 08:34 AM
I find it is disheartning that so many people think that an OU basketball Renaessance is YEARS away.First of all to get back to where we have been recently only requires us to make the NCAA TOURNEY, NOT MAKE THE ELITE 8 OR fINAL4.SecondThis is BASKETBALL, not football so one recruit can make a big difference in level of play. Third we have already got an IMPACT player on his way in Blake Griffin(we have only had 3 players of his caliber in the last 26 years:Tisdale,Webster,Humphrey).Admittedly herein lies the caveat as Tisdale was a star,Webster was a good player and Humphrey was a good player who transfere)d.IF we are not in the Dance next year I will be surprised.

As for Turgeon,give me a break,he didn't accomplish anymore at Wussy State than Capel did at VCU.There is no reason for him to be held in higher esteem than Capel except that he is an X factor in OU speculations and we have seen Capel.Personally I wouldn't trade Capel for Turgeon unless someone would throw in Jai Lucas to sweeten the pot :D On second thought even then I'm not sure I would take the deal.

fwsooner22
4/17/2007, 08:48 AM
Oh, i'm not a Calvinist but the fact of the matter that the same threads over and over whining and bitching about the calvin situation are tiring and bull****. Everybit as much on the basketball board as they people who still whine and bitch and blake and *************** are on the football board. The frank matter is that if you're going to continue to whine about the past instead of putting effort into supporting the future, then I will neg you.

And I will neg you back and it will never end.......bull********* and whining, and all the other comments about past events is what keeps boards alive.

Proofreading is good for the soul.:D

stoopified
4/17/2007, 09:37 AM
And I will neg you back and it will never end.......bull********* and whining, and all the other comments about past events is what keeps boards alive.

Proofreading is good for the soul.:DC'mon guys save the Jihad for the Bonghorns,Screaming Blue Chickens,Cowpukes,etc.

fwsooner22
4/17/2007, 12:19 PM
C'mon guys save the Jihad for the Bonghorns,Screaming Blue Chickens,Cowpukes,etc.

Good point..........I will step away from this.......

4/19/2007, 12:54 PM
"Serious?"
OSU fan 125 miles from Wichita

"All, but the most casual, collegiate sports fans."
–Some guy in Kansas who can take a really nice photo

OSUAggie
4/19/2007, 02:18 PM
"Serious?"
OSU fan 125 miles from Wichita

"All, but the most casual, collegiate sports fans."
–Some guy in Kansas who can take a really nice photo

Well, they were in the top-10 this year.

They've been in the top-25 several times in the past few years.

They have one of the most dominant baseball programs in the Midwest.

How small is your bubble?

6/8/2007, 06:22 AM
Oh, 9' by 4'.

They let me out for Easter and every other Christmas.