PDA

View Full Version : Carlsbad Caverns

Petro-Sooner
4/9/2007, 09:27 AM
Was VERY impressive. Anyone been?

crawfish
4/9/2007, 09:28 AM
We're going this summer. I last went years ago, when I was 14-15, and loved it. It is to caverns what Disney is the theme parks.

Which tours did you take?

OUDoc
4/9/2007, 09:38 AM
I went in my early teens, too. It's very impressive. I need to take my kids there someday.

Petro-Sooner
4/9/2007, 09:43 AM
Pretty much saw what is opened to the public. Evidently there is a lot more to it that is closed. Walked in the natural entrance. This is where the bats fly out at dusk. Since it was very foggy and snowing Saturday they would not be flying so we didnt stick around for that. Anyway. After walking down the entrance we walk to the rest area/lunch room. I was really suprised they had bathrooms and a small lunch/snack counter 780 ft below the surface. From there we took the guided tour by one of the rangers into a few different rooms that used to be open to the public but are now closed cause stupid people like to touch the speliothems. aka stalagmites/stalagtites. They were destroying a lot of them. Oils in the fingers and hands permanently discolor the things. The tour was ok I guess. They once turned the lights out for a few minutes. Pretty cool. The best part was what they call the Big Room. Just absolutly amasing that stuff like that formed. Really neat geology. Take plenty of film and a flashlight. I was also surprised there was elevators there. My knees thanked them. They had another tour that required crawling through small tunnels and such. More hard core. We didnt do that.

picasso
4/9/2007, 09:43 AM
went there in '93 whilst in art school. that Jim White dude that found the place must have fallen into a hole or something.:D
they were planning on expanding when I was there.

we camped that night in the mountains south of Ruiodoso. It was early April and it was cold. Good times.

KaiserSooner
4/9/2007, 09:52 AM
Love that place. I went about 6 or 7 years ago during the summer. Watching the bats fly out at dusk was awesome.

mdklatt
4/9/2007, 10:04 AM
This is where the bats fly out at dusk. Since it was very foggy and snowing Saturday they would not be flying so we didnt stick around for that.

Bats can't fly in the fog? :confused:

soonerjoker
4/9/2007, 10:07 AM
he doesn't know, they left before time.

Petro-Sooner
4/9/2007, 10:24 AM
From what the Rangers told us, they leave the cave to feed. For some reason I guess their food, moths, and other insects would not be out cause of the fog and bad weather. At least thats what they told us.

colleyvillesooner
4/9/2007, 10:28 AM
Sounds like they just wanted to close early and go home. ;)

soonerbrat
4/9/2007, 11:01 AM
Bats can't fly when they get too cold, either. I found a small brown bat in the entryway of the building where I used to work and he couldn't fly. I captured him and took him to a guy at UCO that is some kind of bat expert. He told me they can't fly when they get too cold, so he warmed him up and set him free.

KABOOKIE
4/9/2007, 11:03 AM
Bats can't fly in the fog? :confused:

Nope. The FAA hasn't certified bat radar for IMC. Can you imagine shooting an approach in 200 and 1/2 weather to a cave opening? :D

Melo
4/9/2007, 11:07 AM
We went a few years ago, and my mom, dad and little bro went during spring break. I remember really enjoying the caverns. They also have this Living Desert Zoo sort of thing in Carlsbad. I remember really enjoying seeing all he big pns with the animals native to the area - All sorts of birds, (the eagles were cool!) bats, snakes and other reptiles. They had these big huge anelope-like animals that were pretty sweet. And these HUGE pens filled with prairie dogs. Also, if youre into camping, the campng out there is pretty sweet, too.

Petro-Sooner
4/9/2007, 11:10 AM
We had planned on camping but the weather wasnt allowing it.

Petro-Sooner
4/9/2007, 11:10 AM

BigRedJed
4/9/2007, 11:11 AM
Just reading this thread makes my calves sore. That downhill walk from the main entrance will tear up some calves. I love that place.

KaiserSooner
4/9/2007, 04:52 PM
Just reading this thread makes my calves sore. That downhill walk from the main entrance will tear up some calves. I love that place.

Yep. But well worth it.

BigRedJed
4/9/2007, 05:50 PM
It'll also tear up your quadriceps, now that I think about it. Overall, one wouldn't think walking downhill would be that hard on the legs.

oklaclarinet
4/9/2007, 06:04 PM
I've been three times, but I only remember two of them since I was a baby the first time. I most recently went after returning from the Holiday Bowl. I highly recommend doing the extra guided tour, because those rooms are very impressive. Just make sure you allow enough to completely walk around the big room, because it takes a while. They will close off the start of the longer loop before closing time to ensure that everyone who starts on it gets out by the time they want to close the whole thing.

proud gonzo
4/9/2007, 06:28 PM
never been there, but i've been to Luray Caverns in Virginia

SoonerStormchaser
4/9/2007, 06:34 PM
Four times...the last in 1992

BigRedJed
4/9/2007, 07:27 PM
never been there, but i've been to Luray Caverns in Virginia
Man, I've always wanted to go there.

Sooner24
4/9/2007, 09:55 PM
First time in 1964 last time in 1980. What I found interesting in 1980 was the fact they had to put an airtight revolving door at the surface elevator because they figured out the desert air was drying out the caverns.

proud gonzo
4/9/2007, 10:30 PM
Man, I've always wanted to go there.that place is awesome. We went there because my grandparents used to have a house in Virginia. I really want to go back sometime. That stalacpipe organ they have is AWESOME.