PDA

View Full Version : What did Imus say?

achiro
4/9/2007, 07:39 AM
They are talking about "racist" comments he made but not saying what he said???

jk the sooner fan
4/9/2007, 07:42 AM
he referred to the rutgers women bb players as looking like "nappy headed ho's"

Chuck Bao
4/9/2007, 07:44 AM
There is a audio link posted here. But, I haven't listened to it because Thailand has blocked all Youtube access.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91713

jk the sooner fan
4/9/2007, 07:54 AM
i should add that they were comparing them to the gals on the tennessee team....comparing their looks.....saying that the Lady Vols were pretty, etc.....but that the Rutgers girls were rough looking

1stTimeCaller
4/9/2007, 08:47 AM
Being as Tenn. doesn't have any black girls on their team, I can see how someone would think he was being racist.

C&CDean
4/9/2007, 08:57 AM
Of course if P-Dildy had said it everything would be crunk, yo.

picasso
4/9/2007, 09:23 AM
Being as Tenn. doesn't have any black girls on their team, I can see how someone would think he was being racist.
exactly.

I heard it and he was talking about their manliness and tattooed look more than what friggin race they were.

jk the sooner fan
4/9/2007, 09:33 AM
candace parker is black isnt she?

jk the sooner fan
4/9/2007, 09:34 AM

exactly

and i hate that.....i hate that somebody is calling for this idiots job just because he said something insensitive.....he does comedy on the radio, or attempts to do it, yet every black comedian could say it and totally get away with it

frankensooner
4/9/2007, 10:00 AM
Imus is a boring old hack. I think they were looking for any way to put his wrinkled, cowboy hat wearing hiney out to pasture.

Scott D
4/9/2007, 10:10 AM
funny thing is Imus hasn't been relevant to radio for probably 20 years until this.

soonerjoker
4/9/2007, 10:11 AM
i like Imus. hope he doesn't get fired. would be an injustice.

he's old & rich enuff, firing wouldn't hurt him.

he has developed some humility tho. he needed that.

Scott D
4/9/2007, 10:12 AM
yeah but you also like the dodgers, and they haven't been relevant in as long a time period as Imus. :D

soonerjoker
4/9/2007, 10:16 AM
yep, no WS since 88.

surely, this is the year for the dodgerks.

i saw a list of the top 100 minor league teams of all time.

coming in @ number 49, was the "okmulgee drillers", (before i was born)
think the yr. was 1924 & team batting average was .328.

what a surprise !!!

soonerjoker
4/9/2007, 10:19 AM
they were in the western association, with teams from muskogee & joplin.

folded after 1927 season.

Chuck Bao
4/9/2007, 10:19 AM
Fire his butt. There is no point of that, EVAR.

If he'd called the Lady Sooners a bunch of slutty hoes, you guys would be calling for a biotch slapping of medival portions on Imus.

jk the sooner fan
4/9/2007, 10:21 AM
no, he should not be fired

the PC attitude of this country needs to stop.....it was a tasteless joke, and even though he may be insignificant in radio, getting fired for something like that is crazy

achiro
4/9/2007, 10:21 AM
Being as Tenn only has like 3 white chicks, I am assuming you are being sarcastic, and if so, I agree with you.:D

picasso
4/9/2007, 10:22 AM
Fire his butt. There is no point of that, EVAR.

If he'd called the Lady Sooners a bunch of slutty hoes, you guys would be calling for a biotch slapping of medival portions on Imus.
I disagree.

and honestly I've never listened to him. I did used to catch his show now and then on C-SPAN.

soonerjoker
4/9/2007, 10:28 AM
he's on MSNBC, 5 days a week from 5 to 8 am.

sometimes his show is very funny, especially when someone like terry bradshaw calls in.

also, he's a VERY generous man. he & his wife run a ranch for terminally ill
kids, every summer. in new mexico.

besides, anyone that dislikes hillary clinton, can't be ALL bad.

picasso
4/9/2007, 10:34 AM
I agree his comments weren't nice but it is his show isn't it? I think scrutiny comes with the territory.

and haven't rappers said worse things?

Bao is right about us flipping out if he said things like that about OU players. even if they did look that way.

1stTimeCaller
4/9/2007, 10:35 AM
Chuck, if the lady Sooners looked like the Mabel Bassett All Star squad you would have a point. But if they looked like that they would look like a bunch of nappy-headed hos. So you really don't.

StoopTroup
4/9/2007, 11:22 AM
Imus will continue to be Imus....

He's just getting a little Headline action.

If they fire him....he could go on Sirius with Stern and say anything he wants...

Freedom of speech babay!

NBC will probably pi$$ him off with some sort of Executive comment...

Sooner_Bob
4/9/2007, 11:55 AM
It wasn't the nicest thing in the world but come on people . . . I've heard worse shouted in a crowd at the mall or during rush hour.

Frozen Sooner
4/9/2007, 12:00 PM
So let me get this straight-he shouldn't have to apologize for calling participants in the NCAA finals "nappy-headed hoes" because he was just being non-PC.

I didn't find the comments so much racist as I did sexist. And rude. I'm flat-out sick of the excuses people will make for out-and-out rudeness in our society just because people think politeness is "PC."

Chuck, if you're interested, I found out why Thailand blocked YouTube. I guess there's a video on there showing feet near the King's face, and YouTube told the Thais to pound sand when asked to remove it.

C&CDean
4/9/2007, 12:11 PM
So let me get this straight-he shouldn't have to apologize for calling participants in the NCAA finals "nappy-headed hoes" because he was just being non-PC.

I didn't find the comments so much racist as I did sexist. And rude. I'm flat-out sick of the excuses people will make for out-and-out rudeness in our society just because people think politeness is "PC."

Chuck, if you're interested, I found out why Thailand blocked YouTube. I guess there's a video on there showing feet near the King's face, and YouTube told the Thais to pound sand when asked to remove it.

Oh give me a break. Like you didn't think "nappy-headed hoes" when you saw them girls.

Sooner_Bob
4/9/2007, 12:11 PM
So the Thai King doesn't like feet or something?

Frozen Sooner
4/9/2007, 12:12 PM
Whether I did or didn't isn't the point, Dean. Do YOU say everything you think? 'Cause if you do, I'm guessing you're a pretty crappy dinner guest.

We're trying to have a society here.

C&CDean
4/9/2007, 12:12 PM

Froze finds it offensive and degrading to hermaphroditic syphilloids.

Frozen Sooner
4/9/2007, 12:13 PM

Feet are considered very dirty and gross in Thai society. It'd kind of be like a video on YouTube with someone rubbing their pecker on President Bush's face.

C&CDean
4/9/2007, 12:13 PM
Whether I did or didn't isn't the point, Dean. Do YOU say everything you think? 'Cause if you do, I'm guessing you're a pretty crappy dinner guest.

We're trying to have a society here.

Most of the time, yes I do. And I'm a wonderful dinner guest. People would rather hear truth than lies, no?

Frozen Sooner
4/9/2007, 12:16 PM
Most of the time, yes I do. And I'm a wonderful dinner guest. People would rather hear truth than lies, no?

Wow. I guess the concept of politeness never seeped down into the Dean household. See, there's always the option of just not saying anything.

You're telling me that when you go to a friend's house for dinner and the food isn't to your liking, you think it's acceptable to tell your friend's wife "Mabel, damn, this casserole tastes like warm ***?" Or you think that it's "PC" to just not say anything and eat it with a smile?

Frozen Sooner
4/9/2007, 12:17 PM
Froze finds it offensive and degrading to hermaphroditic syphilloids.

Well, Dean, if I don't stand up for your rights, who else will?

jk the sooner fan
4/9/2007, 12:22 PM
for the record, he DID apologize (Imus, not Dean).......and i think he should have

but thats as far as it should have gone.....to call for him to be fired after he apologized is stupid imo

C&CDean
4/9/2007, 12:22 PM
Wow. I guess the concept of politeness never seeped down into the Dean household. See, there's always the option of just not saying anything.

You're telling me that when you go to a friend's house for dinner and the food isn't to your liking, you think it's acceptable to tell your friend's wife "Mabel, damn, this casserole tastes like warm ***?" Or you think that it's "PC" to just not say anything and eat it with a smile?

sigh

First of all, if it ain't guts or really fishy fish chances are I'm gonna enjoy it. I'm pretty sure warm *** is much better than cold ***.

Second of all, we're not talking about mundane things here like salty soup or something.

If we're discussing something over dinner like religion, politics, or the price of gas, you can bet your frozen *** I'm gonna share my opinion. And back it up with plenty of reasonable documentation for said opinion. To not do this would make me a mealy-mouthed little waffle-bug who nobody wants to have over for dinner.

Frozen Sooner
4/9/2007, 12:24 PM
for the record, he DID apologize (Imus, not Dean).......and i think he should have

but thats as far as it should have gone.....to call for him to be fired after he apologized is stupid imo

Agreed.

frankensooner
4/9/2007, 12:25 PM
Really, all I want from my dinner guests is for them to tell me how wonderful I am. Is that too much to ask? ;)

KC//CRIMSON
4/9/2007, 12:27 PM
You know, if Wendy Williams said the same thing about the Florida's mens basketball team, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

All his "PC" stuff can suck it......

Frozen Sooner
4/9/2007, 12:27 PM
sigh

First of all, if it ain't guts or really fishy fish chances are I'm gonna enjoy it. I'm pretty sure warm *** is much better than cold ***.

Second of all, we're not talking about mundane things here like salty soup or something.

If we're discussing something over dinner like religion, politics, or the price of gas, you can bet your frozen *** I'm gonna share my opinion. And back it up with plenty of reasonable documentation for said opinion. To not do this would make me a mealy-mouthed little waffle-bug who nobody wants to have over for dinner.

Um, OK. But that's not what this is about. This is about someone saying something extremely insulting about other people in a public forum. Giving your opinion on politics or religion or the price of gas isn't necessarily insulting. What Imus said was absolutely insulting and had no other purpose. You can't tell me that you don't see the difference.

Frozen Sooner
4/9/2007, 12:28 PM
You know, if Wendy Williams said the same thing about the Florida's mens basketball team, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

All his "PC" stuff can suck it......

That's because Joakim Noah is a nappy-headed ho.

C&CDean
4/9/2007, 12:29 PM

Heh. Froze just pulled a :dean:

Feels good, don't it?

BigRedJed
4/9/2007, 12:32 PM
Whether I did or didn't isn't the point, Dean. Do YOU say everything you think?...
Let me answer this one for Dean. Yes. He says whatever is on his mind. Most of the time it's entertaining, often it's side-splittingly so. Other times, it cause the reader (or listener) to have a sharp intake of breath and to say (or think) "oh no he di-unt!" Either way, he somehow generally always gets away with it because, well, he's Dean.

C&CDean
4/9/2007, 12:35 PM
And there you have it....

jk the sooner fan
4/9/2007, 12:36 PM
being a mod doesnt hurt either!

Scott D
4/9/2007, 12:37 PM
please Jed. dean's a ****ing **** of **** and will **** a ****** twice to prove a ****. :D

C&CDean
4/9/2007, 12:40 PM
being a mod doesnt hurt either!

Uh, just in case you haven't noticed, this is the SO. On the innerwebs and all? And my posting style has never changed - before or since I've been a mod.

And while I am the king of my castle, the lord over my lands, and the master of my minions, I'm hardly a "mod" up at the house.

yermom
4/9/2007, 12:40 PM

RACIST!

i could kinda see NOW or something getting uppity about this, but the racial angle is just stupid

probably the best thing that happened for Imus though, i'm pretty sure that's the first time i've typed his name

Jesse Jackson and Sharpton are just trying to get a piece of the ****storm publicity

jk the sooner fan
4/9/2007, 12:41 PM
yeah i noticed..i'm just saying you post "some" things that a normal mortal could not get away with

C&CDean
4/9/2007, 12:42 PM
Well I never did claim to be normal.

Frozen Sooner
4/9/2007, 12:55 PM
RACIST!

i could kinda see NOW or something getting uppity about this, but the racial angle is just stupid

probably the best thing that happened for Imus though, i'm pretty sure that's the first time i've typed his name

Jesse Jackson and Sharpton are just trying to get a piece of the ****storm publicity

I think the racial angle comes from the "nappy-headed" part. Kinda like if he had said something about them having big lips or something. But yeah, the sexist thing to me is much more obvious than the racist thing.

Blue
4/9/2007, 01:05 PM
I think the racial angle comes from the "nappy-headed" part. Kinda like if he had said something about them having big lips or something. But yeah, the sexist thing to me is much more obvious than the racist thing.

He called them Jig-a-boos didn't he? Listen to the clip. That's the racist part.

jk the sooner fan
4/9/2007, 01:06 PM
He called them Jig-a-boos didn't he? Listen to the clip. That's the racist part.

yes, yes he did

i had forgotten about that part

Frozen Sooner
4/9/2007, 01:10 PM

In that case, I'd fire him. I mean, if I were his boss.

Blue
4/9/2007, 01:10 PM

The other guy said it I think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui1jPNDWArM

Mjcpr
4/9/2007, 01:11 PM
The 'other guy' has been fired and rehired several times already for, I think, similar-type comments on the radio.

Chuck Bao
4/9/2007, 01:12 PM
I can't believe you guys are serious.

There is PC and then there's common decency.

There is purposely hurtful and there's funny.

There are people who deserve all of the ridicule and more and there are some who don't.

We're talking about unpaid student athletes whose only incentive is their love of the sport and to represent their school to the best of their ability. As their coach pointed out, they've represented very well with pride and dignity.

If Imus described your sister or daughter as white trailer trash whores, are you going to just say: "okay, well Imus is Imus and he just speaks his mind."?

And, what if he hacked a looggie on your car?

Okay, go ahead and neg spek me.

Pricetag
4/9/2007, 01:14 PM
I don't think it was him, but the guy on the phone. And he was quoting somebody else, Spike Lee, wasn't he?

At any rate, you can tell that they knew that they were treading on thin ice, but kept on going.

jk the sooner fan
4/9/2007, 01:14 PM
In that case, I'd fire him. I mean, if I were his boss.

i still wouldnt fire him.....he's a radio host ,nothing more nothing less

if his ratings drop off the scale because of it, then yes

its a radio show and listeners possess the CHOICE to either tune him in or tune him out....

C&CDean
4/9/2007, 01:18 PM
I can't believe you guys are serious. If Imus described your sister or daughter as white trailer trash whores, are you going to just say: "okay, well Imus is Imus and he just speaks his mind."?

Well if my sister is a whore, then it would be OK. And one of them is, so it'd be just fine with me.

And if he hacked a loogey on my car I'd be needing some body work from where I wiped it up with his face. But then again, spitting at somebody transcends all race/creed/color/sex/religion. Which is a great point. Spitting at someone is offensive at it's core. Saying a bunch of corn-rowed tattooed chicks look like "nappy-headed hoes" is just speaking the truth.

Flagstaffsooner
4/9/2007, 01:20 PM
BOOGER!
http://www.rockandrollreport.com/the_rock_and_roll_report/images/johnny_fever.jpg

frankensooner
4/9/2007, 01:30 PM
Anybody remember when Beth Ringle got canned for dropping a GD on Channel 8 in Tulsey town. Those were the days. ;)

Pricetag
4/9/2007, 01:32 PM
But then again, spitting at somebody transcends all race/creed/color/sex/religion. Which is a great point. Spitting at someone is offensive at it's core.
That's always been my planned response for if a woman were ever to raise her hand to me.

picasso
4/9/2007, 01:33 PM

There are people who deserve all of the ridicule and more and there are some who don't.

We're talking about unpaid student athletes whose only incentive is their love of the sport and to represent their school to the best of their ability. As their coach pointed out, they've represented very well with pride and dignity.

If Imus described your sister or daughter as white trailer trash whores, are you going to just say: "okay, well Imus is Imus and he just speaks his mind."?

and we're talking about a guy who has a radio show and is a shock jock wannabe real journalist type.
he should only have to answer to those who listen to him and his employer/advertiser.
this ain't a government official.

if we're going to bust a nut on this then let's go after Tokyo Rosie and the whole lot of 'em.

Chuck Bao
4/9/2007, 01:48 PM
and we're talking about a guy who has a radio show and is a shock jock wannabe real journalist type.
he should only have to answer to those who listen to him and his employer/advertiser.
this ain't a government official.

Good points there, pic. I do get this whole shock jock thing.

Funny how several posters in this thread mentioned the Thailand blocking of youtube. Before the block, that offensive video clip had 6,000 hits. In the 24 hours after the block the youtube hits rose to over 60,000.

Anyway, I ain't a government official either and I can freely express my own opinion. This **** isn't much entertainment.

I still say fire his sorry boney white arse.

C&CDean
4/9/2007, 02:29 PM
That's always been my planned response for if a woman were ever to raise her hand to me.

I'd just knock the bitch out.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/9/2007, 02:37 PM

Okay, go ahead and neg spek me.You had better get a med exam, as you and I are in agreement on this...besides, I have always found Imus particularly repulsive.

SoonerBBall
4/9/2007, 04:33 PM

I don't disagree that what he said was stupid, but so is calling for him to be fired. You know what you should do? Vote with the radio dial. Don't listen to him. Trust me, the radio stations take notice of stuff like that, especially when their advertisers start walking. My biggest complaint with the damn PC movement is that they take away the element of choice for everyone. If I feel that something said on the radio is offensive or that I don't like it, I turn the station and I don't listen to it anymore. Censorship is bad, even if it is censoring people like Imus, because censorship hurts everyone, not just the people you don't like.

Scott D
4/9/2007, 04:34 PM
why do I feel that this crowd would be bitching about Jimmy The Greek being fired back in the day.

jk the sooner fan
4/9/2007, 04:36 PM
why do I feel that this crowd would be bitching about Jimmy The Greek being fired back in the day.

Scott - its not a black white thing....at least not for me......what he said was idiotic and highly insensitive, and wrong

but i just dont think people should be fired for their comments.......people in goverment positions? sure......radio and tv? no...

Scott D
4/9/2007, 04:38 PM
Scott - its not a black white thing....at least not for me......what he said was idiotic and highly insensitive, and wrong

but i just dont think people should be fired for their comments.......people in goverment positions? sure......radio and tv? no...

Well here's the catch-22. Ultimately the radio and tv are responsible to their sponsors and board of directors. It's when sponsors threaten to pull ads that they get nervous, and I think that would be more likely to get Imus fired than Sharpton and Jackson making public noise about it.

Truthfully, Imus should have been fired back in the 90s for just flat out sucking.

The Jimmy the Greek reference was more along the lines of the "well the jackass said something stupid, but he shouldn't be fired for saying something stupid." response.

1stTimeCaller
4/9/2007, 04:41 PM
hell Scott, you make it sound like he invented the word 'nappy'. Words are just words. They have no power. If someone chooses to be offended by words then that's their business. It's sad that we have to censor words because a minority of the population doesn't like them.

sanantoniosooner
4/9/2007, 04:49 PM
hell Scott, you make it sound like he invented the word 'nappy'. Words are just words. They have no power. If someone chooses to be offended by words then that's their business. It's sad that we have to censor words because a minority of the population doesn't like them.
Easier to say for the group that is on the other side of offending words most often.

Scott D
4/9/2007, 04:49 PM
how do I do that 1tc? I've only stated that Imus should have been fired long ago for a) not being funny, b) not being relevant, c) being useless and wasting airspace for the last decade+.

I also simply said that it's more dependant on the sponsors for the station on whether or not Imus'd get fired than by anything Sharpton or Jackson say. I'm not offended by anything Imus said at all. I'm not surprised that something stupid came out of his mouth that has made news, it's about the only time anyone remembers he still exists.

1stTimeCaller
4/9/2007, 05:04 PM
Easier to say for the group that is on the other side of offending words most often.

water is wet. kudos to us for pointing out the obvious.

You ever been on the winning side of a discrimination lawsuit against the State, the Higher Ed Regents, the OU Regents and OU? I have.

SoonerBBall
4/9/2007, 05:06 PM
You ever been on the winning side of a discrimination lawsuit against the State, the Higher Ed Regents, the OU Regents and OU? I have.

Yes.

sanantoniosooner
4/9/2007, 05:07 PM
Wow.

You must be right about everything.

1stTimeCaller
4/9/2007, 06:05 PM
I was wrong once. In 1988. I still remember that day. ;)

picasso
4/9/2007, 06:16 PM
hoe's isn't racial. I know some white ones.

Frozen Sooner
4/9/2007, 06:20 PM
hoe's isn't racial. I know some white ones.

It's not, and nobody has claimed it is. It's sexist.

Describing a person of color as "nappy-headed" is racist.

picasso
4/9/2007, 06:25 PM
It's not, and nobody has claimed it is. It's sexist.

Describing a person of color as "nappy-headed" is racist.
I was joking ruffled feather guy.

I know some nappy headed white hoe's too. we all need shampoo ya know.

Blue
4/9/2007, 06:27 PM
Using the word, "Jigaboo" is racist and flat out ignorant.

Frozen Sooner
4/9/2007, 06:28 PM
I was joking ruffled feather guy.

I know some nappy headed white hoe's too. we all need shampoo ya know.

"Ruffled feather?" Is this about native american heritage?

;)

I don't need shampoo all that badly. Only about a half inch of hair up there.

picasso
4/9/2007, 06:29 PM
Using the word, "Jigaboo" is racist and flat out ignorant.
did he say that? he needs a kick in the nuts if so.

picasso
4/9/2007, 06:30 PM
"Ruffled feather?" Is this about native american heritage?

;)

I don't need shampoo all that badly. Only about a half inch of hair up there.
:D

Blue
4/9/2007, 06:30 PM
did he say that? he needs a kick in the nuts if so.

The other loser said it. I agree w/ Scott...Fire them for being irrelevant ******s.

Blue
4/9/2007, 06:47 PM
Okay so they suspended him for 2 weeks.

4/9/2007, 06:50 PM
So much for the old slogan "Sticks and stones might break my bones, but words will never hurt me"?

Sooner24
4/9/2007, 06:59 PM
Dean used to be nappy headed until he went for the Kojak look.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/9/2007, 07:17 PM
Okay, I am an old fogey and don't keep up with racial slang and stuff, but is "nappy-head" like what we used to call "rack hair" or "sleep helmet". So, is the racist thing calling them "hos" or is Nappy-hair a racial term? TIA

SleestakSooner
4/9/2007, 07:25 PM
It seems that using any "n" word when referring to our dark skinned brothers and sisters is taboo... unless of course you happen to have dark skin. Then you can drop N-bombs and be as crude and depricating as you like.

Would calling Dean a fat bastard be sexist or racist? ;)

Frozen Sooner
4/9/2007, 07:55 PM
Okay, I am an old fogey and don't keep up with racial slang and stuff, but is "nappy-head" like what we used to call "rack hair" or "sleep helmet". So, is the racist thing calling them "hos" or is Nappy-hair a racial term? TIA

No, that's not what nappy-headed means, and it has specific meaning to those of African descent.

Sooner24
4/9/2007, 08:10 PM
No, that's not what nappy-headed means, and it has specific meaning to those of African descent.

And that would be?

BajaOklahoma
4/9/2007, 08:27 PM
So was it right or wrong for one of our teacher to read her class the Nappy Hair book?

Rogue
4/9/2007, 08:29 PM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/

1. nappy

one of African desent who has tightly coiled unkept hair; one with locks of hair that is tightly curled that is unwashed and uncombed

Sholanda has such nappy hair you can see her buckshots even after she gets a perm.

Props to Imus for giving a lengthy impromptu apology rather than reading some statement prepared by his lawyer. His apology was lame in parts though when he kept using examples of his goodness and saying that those examples don't excuse anything. For the most part he seemed genuine, contrite, and manned-up by offering to apoligize to the Rutgers girls in-person.

He was wrong, he admitted it honestly and publicly, and I'm ready to move on.

Rogue
4/9/2007, 08:31 PM
BTW, Imus is looking more and more like Hal Holbrook every day.
I think it has something to do with the hair. :D

olevetonahill
4/9/2007, 08:40 PM
G damn you can take ANY racial type slur and turn it around :mad:
Who cares , I can tell a joke about a certain race , then turn around and tell the same Joke about :texan: s
For those who live in T town .
Go to a bar in North T town , you will get the shat beat out of you rite ?
But Let someone from N T town go to S T town and get the shat beat outta him and Its Racist .:cool:
Who cares Ya need to watch youass.:D

picasso
4/9/2007, 08:44 PM
BTW, Imus is looking more and more like Hal Holbrook every day.
I think it has something to do with the hair. :D
that's an insult to Hal Holbrook.

4/9/2007, 08:52 PM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/

Props to Imus for giving a lengthy impromptu apology rather than reading some statement prepared by his lawyer. His apology was lame in parts though when he kept using examples of his goodness and saying that those examples don't excuse anything. For the most part he seemed genuine, contrite, and manned-up by offering to apoligize to the Rutgers girls in-person.

He was wrong, he admitted it honestly and publicly, and I'm ready to move on.First time I remember a liberal catching hell from the media for much of anything since they got on Martha Stewart. Still, can you imagine if a republican had said anything like what Imus said?

Frozen Sooner
4/9/2007, 08:54 PM
Dude, the guy who got nailed to the crucifix supposedly arose yesterday. You can give up the martyr pose any time.

Rogue
4/9/2007, 09:03 PM
Imus isn't exaclty a liberal is he? I thought he "hates everything worth hating" and such? I know he backed Harold Ford Jr here in TN and HFJ is fairly liberal. He thought Kerry would win, but he also likes him some elephants I think. He's mentioned the Intrepid Fallen Heroes program several times passionately so that earned him some spek in my book.

I hate what he said and if he worked for me his *** would be packing up his office today. Course I work for the gubmint so it'd be a no-brainer.

Maybe I'm not quite ready to move on after all.

4/9/2007, 09:10 PM
Imus isn't exaclty a liberal is he? I thought he "hates everything worth hating" and such? I know he backed Harold Ford Jr here in TN and HFJ is fairly liberal. He thought Kerry would win, but he also likes him some elephants I think. He's mentioned the Intrepid Fallen Heroes program several times passionately so that earned him some spek in my book.

I hate what he said and if he worked for me his *** would be packing up his office today. Course I work for the gubmint so it'd be a no-brainer.

Maybe I'm not quite ready to move on after all.He is very much a liberal, and has gotten away with all sorts of insulting and inflammatory speech over the years because of it.

Sooner24
4/9/2007, 09:15 PM
I guess only certain groups have First Amendment Rights.

olevetonahill
4/9/2007, 09:17 PM
Rush
I have a ?
If I say that I back anyones rite to say or do what they think , from ****in on our troops or burning Our Flag , does that make me a Lib ?:confused:
Nope that makes me a freedom lovin bastage !

SoonerGirl06
4/9/2007, 09:18 PM
I'm just hoping ABC follows NBC's footsteps and suspends Rosie for all the crap that comes out of her mouth.

XingTheRubicon
4/9/2007, 09:18 PM
"...girl, you better stop looking at those nappy headed boys and get in this house...."

A mother's comments to her 10 year old daughter

Boyz in the Hood

2 weeks later, doughboy was murdered

royalfan5
4/9/2007, 09:20 PM
It threads like these that make me glad my media exposure is almost entirely print media except for baseball games, The Simpsons, and CNBC during the day.

Scott D
I'm just hoping ABC follows NBC's footsteps and suspends Rosie for all the crap that comes out of her mouth.

I'd rather see her fired for being irrelevant.

Octavian
"...girl, you better stop looking at those nappy headed boys and get in this house...."

A mother's comments to her 10 year old daughter

Boyz in the Hood

2 weeks later, doughboy was murdered

..and keep them babies out tha street!

SoonerGirl06
4/9/2007, 09:23 PM
I'd rather see her fired for being irrelevant.

That would be the ulitimate goal... but I'm not sure if anyone can expect miracles from ABC.

olevetonahill
4/9/2007, 09:23 PM
I'd rather see her fired for being, Fat, Ugly and irrelevant.
Fixed it for Ya Scott.;)

SoonerGirl06
4/9/2007, 09:25 PM
Fixed it for Ya Scott.;)

YMSSRA

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/9/2007, 09:26 PM
First time I remember a liberal catching hell from the media for much of anything since they got on Martha Stewart. Still, can you imagine if a republican had said anything like what Imus said?Didn't a Republican catch hell for calling the FBI "jack booted thugs?"

TheHumanAlphabet
4/9/2007, 09:28 PM
one of African desent who has tightly coiled unkept hair; one with locks of hair that is tightly curled that is unwashed and uncombed

Sooo, would dreadlocks be called "nappy"?

Thanks Froze, er Mike for the reply.

What is more telling than what was said is that there is no longer decorum in public. People calling people the "N-word" regardless of color, people calling people "Hos", whore, white-trash, etc. The "urbanization" of American English is bad (IMO). There should be a measure of decorum regardless of color or creed.

I don't know how bad "nappy" is, but you don't call a bunch of women working hard as a sports group anything but hard working, athletic, etc.

SoonerGirl06
4/9/2007, 09:36 PM
What is more telling than what was said is that there is no longer decorum in public. People calling people the "N-word" regardless of color, people calling people "Hos", whore, white-trash, etc. The "urbanization" of American English is bad (IMO). There should be a measure of decorum regardless of color or creed.

I think it's due to a lack of common courtesy and respect for others.

Frozen Sooner
4/9/2007, 10:38 PM
Sooo, would dreadlocks be called "nappy"?

Thanks Froze, er Mike for the reply.

I don't know how bad "nappy" is, but you don't call a bunch of women working hard as a sports group anything but hard working, athletic, etc.

Agreed 100%.

What he said would be analogous to saying that the Florida team looked like big-lipped gangsters. And no, he wouldn't have gotten a free pass for that either.

goingoneight
4/9/2007, 11:54 PM
Eg-fuggin'-zactly. That's what I've been saying this whole time. This is not a big dealio.

Sooner24
4/10/2007, 06:32 AM
Eg-fuggin'-zactly. That's what I've been saying this whole time. This is not a big dealio.

Unless your last name is Sharpton or Jackson.

jk the sooner fan
4/10/2007, 07:48 AM
Didn't a Republican catch hell for calling the FBI "jack booted thugs?"

it was the atf

i caught a bit of the exchange between Imus and Sharpton on the news last nite, and Sharpton says "you're walking away unscathed"

well jeezus Al, what would you suggest we do with the man? shoot him? Al, you certainly walked away unscathed after the whole Tawana Brawley incident.....nobody called for your job then

see, thats my problem with this whole scharade......its all a friggin dog and pony show by "the offended" to remind everybody what can and cant be said....unless of course you're the offended, and then you can say whatever the hell you want.....including what was said to make them the offended

its all absurd

picasso
4/10/2007, 07:53 AM
I'm offended by Al Sharpton's hair. regardless of race.

C&CDean
4/10/2007, 08:26 AM
I'm offended by this thread.

C&CDean
4/10/2007, 08:27 AM
And the fag urban cowboy wannabe hat Imus wears over his bushy, NAPPY-ASSED mop. WTF is that thing?

jk the sooner fan
4/10/2007, 08:30 AM
he's a rancher like you

C&CDean
4/10/2007, 08:44 AM
he's a rancher like you

or a wannabe urban cowboy like you?

jk the sooner fan
4/10/2007, 08:46 AM
i dont wear boots or a cowboy hat.....or drive a truck

let me rephrase so you arent offended

its my understanding he owns a ranch like you....doubtful he works it like you......you big calf pulling stud you

C&CDean
4/10/2007, 08:55 AM
Much better.

Viking Kitten
4/10/2007, 09:26 AM
I guess only certain groups have First Amendment Rights.

Have I missed something? Is there a government entity trying to take Imus off the air? Oh, wait. It's just Al Sharpton. Well, he is big and bloated, I guess I can see where that might lead to confusion.

Here's me exercising my First Amendment Rights: Imus is a ********* mother ****er, and NBC should do the responsible thing and throw him off the air. If somebody said something like that about my daughter, I'd personally kick his skinny white a**.

C&CDean
4/10/2007, 09:29 AM
Have I missed something? Is there a government entity trying to take Imus off the air? Oh, wait. It's just Al Sharpton. Well, he is big and bloated, I guess I can see where there might lead to confusion.

Here's me exercising my First Amendment Rights: Imus is a ********* mother ****er, and NBC should do the responsible thing and throw him off the air. If somebody said something like that about my daughter, I'd personally kick his skinny white a**.

Do you eat with that mouth?

Viking Kitten
4/10/2007, 09:31 AM
Do you eat with that mouth?

My *** didn't get fat by osmosis.

C&CDean
4/10/2007, 09:34 AM
So, has Czar asked you to put on the red cap this week?

Viking Kitten
4/10/2007, 09:40 AM
No, but thanks for the new custom user title. :D

GrapevineSooner
4/10/2007, 10:03 AM
My .02,

I can understand if some people got offended at what Imus said. Beyond that, I don't care. Like Scott said, he should have been fired 10 years ago for suckage.

What Colin Cowherd did on air last week in directing his listeners to launch a DNS attack against The Big Lead (http://thebiglead.com/?p=2074), because they dared to criticize him, was more egregious, IMO.

And also because Cowherd sucks, too.

yermom
4/10/2007, 10:07 AM
heh, that's like when the Fark Board gets mentioned on the radio :D

tommieharris91
4/10/2007, 10:17 AM
News conference coming on now. Potential greatness. Ohhh, apparently the Rutgers team has a few white women.

tommieharris91
4/10/2007, 10:26 AM
C. Vivian Stringer sure ain't Sherri Coale...

C&CDean
4/10/2007, 10:27 AM
There's a news conference because some has-been jock offended some nappy headed hoes?

Have I ever mentioned that this is the type of thing that makes this world suck?

tommieharris91
4/10/2007, 10:31 AM
Yep, it's on ESPN right now. C. Vivian Stringer is attacking Imus.

...And there goes a tear.

jk the sooner fan
4/10/2007, 10:32 AM
ALL the "victims" must be allowed to speak.....everybody that ever attended rutgers, anybody that ever had nappy hair......any ho's, and all jiggaboo's

please, set up a news conference as soon as possible and get some closure

because its all about closure

GrapevineSooner
4/10/2007, 10:33 AM
The perfect response would have been...

"Who the f*** is Don Imus?"

PAW
4/10/2007, 10:40 AM
I'd like to get a look at what's in these gals CD libraries and on their iPods.

Hatfield
4/10/2007, 10:42 AM
this press conference is sofa king wetodded

tommieharris91
4/10/2007, 10:54 AM
Apparently all of the student-athletes are skipping class.

4/10/2007, 10:55 AM
ALL the "victims" must be allowed to speak.....everybody that ever attended rutgers, anybody that ever had nappy hair......any ho's, and all jiggaboo's

because its all about closurePretty much what it's all about...that, and Imus is a(no offense to our board member) JERK!

OklahomaTuba
4/10/2007, 11:42 AM
I wonder if these same people outraged at Imus get mad when they listen to Rap?

Oh wait...

Mjcpr
4/10/2007, 11:43 AM
Where's all the white women at?

FaninAma
4/10/2007, 11:55 AM
Hey Imus, just a little FYI. It's perfectly OK to insult any person who appears white including Jesus or whoever is sitting in the Oval Office. But never, ever, ever insult a person of color....unles you yourself are a person of color.

And if you are a person of color then feel free to insult anybody you damn well want to insult because, after all, you're oppressed and insulting people is just your way of speaking out against your oppression.

jk the sooner fan
4/10/2007, 11:57 AM
god i hate it when fan and i agree on stuff.....

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/10/2007, 12:05 PM
There's a show on The Sundance Channel called 'Iconoclasts'. They take two famous people (artists, actors, musicians, etc.) and one 'covers' the other. They follow them around for a day and interview them...ask them their own questions from their own mind...and these two people are intentionally very opposite as to make it more interesting.

One had Dave Chappell covering Maya Angelou. It...was...awesome. A few weeks ago it came on and I was stuck on the couch in the same position until it was over.

Dave talked about how the N-word is used nowadays. He said that it's meaning has changed because it's come full-circle. What used to be a word used for degradation is now cool. It's cool now to be an N-word. Even for white kids. He was basically justifying them using it all the time to each other and it being okay.

So she looks at him and he goes 'you're about to tear me up, aren't you?...I'm very afraid of you right now'...

And she says...very calmly...and gently:

'If I have a brown bottle...with a skull and crossbones on it...I know that the contents are poison...they will kill me...and if I pour the contents into a beautiful crystal goblet...the contents...will still kill me...'.

I just thought that was awesome.

Carry on.

Howzit
4/10/2007, 12:10 PM
There's a show on The Sundance Channel called 'Iconoclasts'. They take two famous people (artists, actors, musicians, etc.) and one 'covers' the other. They follow them around for a day and interview them...ask them their own questions from their own mind...and these two people are intentionally very opposite as to make it more interesting.

One had Dave Chappell covering Maya Angelou. It...was...awesome. A few weeks ago it came on and I was stuck on the couch in the same position until it was over.

Dave talked about how the N-word is used nowadays. He said that it's meaning has changed because it's come full-circle. What used to be a word used for degradation is now cool. It's cool now to be an N-word. Even for white kids. He was basically justifying them using it all the time to each other and it being okay.

So she looks at him and he goes 'you're about to tear me up, aren't you?...I'm very afraid of you right now'...

And she says...very calmly...and gently:

'If I have a brown bottle...with a skull and crossbones on it...I know that the contents are poison...they will kill me...and if I pour the contents into a beautiful crystal goblet...the contents...will still kill me...'.

I just thought that was awesome.

Carry on.

Did she comment on the use of 'nappy-headed ho?'

Octavian
4/10/2007, 12:14 PM
meh...you can bash anyone in virtually any way you want as long as you're not being a dbag about it

Part of the problem in this case is the forum in which the comments were made. It was a sports radio show where it seemed the host went out his way to meander away from the relevant subject matter and use racial and sexist slurs to describe student athletes.

It wasn't on a late night comedy show with Leno, Letterman, or Conan. It wasn't on HBO with Bill Maher. There are 4 white guys that don't shy away from making jokes about issues involving people who are black/white/fat/skinny/rich/poor/straight/gay or whatever else.

But they do it in a funny and intelligent way and they know their audience and forum. They don't just wake up on a Wednesday morning sports talk show and start hurling venomous remarks about kids they've never met and who haven't done anything to warrant criticism besides losing in a basketball game.

Hatfield
4/10/2007, 12:40 PM
Where's all the white women at?

she was actually the first person to speak at the press conf.

FaninAma
4/10/2007, 12:43 PM
meh...you can bash anyone in virtually any way you want as long as you're not being a dbag about it

Part of the problem in this case is the forum in which the comments were made. It was a sports radio show where it seemed the host went out his way to meander away from the relevant subject matter and use racial and sexist slurs to describe student athletes.

It wasn't on a late night comedy show with Leno, Letterman, or Conan. It wasn't on HBO with Bill Maher. There are 4 white guys that don't shy away from making jokes about issues involving people who are black/white/fat/skinny/rich/poor/straight/gay or whatever else.

But they do it in a funny and intelligent way and they know their audience and forum. They don't just wake up on a Wednesday morning sports talk show and start hurling venomous remarks about kids they've never met and who haven't done anything to warrant criticism besides losing in a basketball game.

Replace the Rutgers team with an all white team and we would have heard nary a peep from anybody regarding Imus' statement. It is disingenous to imply that there is any other reason Imus' stupidity is getting so much criticism other than he criticized the wrong color of players.

There is an entire segment of society and an entire cottage industry whose sole purpose is to look for and act offended at any action or statement that they deem offensive.

Al Sharpton is a charlatan of the worst order. After the Tawana Brawley disgrace he should have no right to ever criticize anybody in public again.

mdklatt
4/10/2007, 01:20 PM
Replace the Rutgers team with an all white team and we would have heard nary a peep from anybody regarding Imus' statement.

If it was an all-white team he wouldn't have said it in the first place. And that is the point. You don't think anybody would have said anything if he'd called an all-white team "a bunch of white trash"? Horse****. All the usual suspects would be braying, "If he'd said that about a black team he'd have been fired already!"

He said something stupid, his empolyer didn't like it, he's paying a price. What's the big deal? Or does the old bromide "'free speech' doesn't mean it's free from consquences" only apply to the Dixie Chicks?

Octavian
4/10/2007, 01:20 PM
Replace the Rutgers team with an all white team and we would have heard nary a peep from anybody regarding Imus' statement.

Replace Imus with a black commentator who called an all-white college girls team a "bunch of stringy haired whores" and I bet you'd get some raised eye brows. I bet he'd even get suspended for a couple weeks.

It is disingenous to imply that there is any other reason Imus' stupidity is getting so much criticism other than he criticized the wrong color of players.

He didn't "criticize" them as basketball players. He attacked their person by calling all of them sluts (while not knowing any of them). He also referenced an age-old insult to blacks by disparaging the texture of their hair. Imus isn't stupid...he should have known better.

There is an entire segment of society and an entire cottage industry whose sole purpose is to look for and act offended at any action or statement that they deem offensive.

Al Sharpton is a charlatan of the worst order. After the Tawana Brawley disgrace he should have no right to ever criticize anybody in public again.

I don't disagree with that....but that fence swings both ways. American society can be a pretty touchy and reactionary group. But this is isn't one of those cases.

The guy went out of his way to attack a group of young girls on a sexual and racial basis....when the conversation was about basketball.

Should he be fired? That's up to his employer. I still think that people would be better served by exercising their power as consumers instead of demanding his censure. He has the right to say whatever he wants...people have the right to change the channel. But unfortunately that's not the way it works and Imus isn't stupid. He should've known better and he shouldn't be surprised by the response.

C&CDean
4/10/2007, 01:26 PM
If it was an all-white team he wouldn't have said it in the first place. And that is the point. You don't think anybody would have said anything if he'd called an all-white team "a bunch of white trash"? Horse****. All the usual suspects would be braying, "If he'd said that about a black team he'd have been fired already!"

He said something stupid, his empolyer didn't like it, he's paying a price. What's the big deal? Or does the old bromide "'free speech' doesn't mean it's free from consquences" only apply to the Dixie Chicks?

If the team was full of pasty-white trailer-trash looking skanks with bleached hair and black roots, Cruella Deville make-up, all smoking Lucky Strikes and looking every bit the stereotype of white trash I'd have no problem with him saying it.

It just so happens that the Rutgers team has a bunch of thug-looking black chicks. If you don't wanna be called a nappy-headed ho, don't go around looking/acting like one. Pretty simple concept I'm thinking.

SoonerStormchaser
4/10/2007, 01:50 PM
This probably isn't gonna make me popular here, but here goes.

STFU!

The original "nappy headed ho's" held their press conference this morning and called for everything against Imus except reparations for slavery! So this guy called you guys a term that you all probably use on each other on a DAILY BASIS! Oh no, your self-esteems are shattered! You'll probably never walk again!

STFU!

Then we have the hotheads Jesse "Hymie Town" Jackson and the "Reverend" Al Sharpton. Someone remind me just what he's the frickin reverend of? Every time there's something regarding ANYTHING between a black person and a white person, they're there pulling out the gawdamn "racist" card. Hey guys...THE CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT IS OVER!!! Just like there are some redneck morons down south who are still fighting the Civil War, there are still gonna be a few holdouts in the racism issue. So why the f**k are you treating all whites like we are closet KKK members every time you think a black man is persecuted? Your own people use the n-word 100 times more than whites do...why aren't you bringing that to light? Oh wait...it's cause you need an issue to yell and scream about. Hey guys, here's a thought...if the jail populations are 80% black because the city population is 80% black...it's not racism...IT'S DEMOGRAPHICS!

**** OFF DIP****!

Imus is a moron for saying what he said...but guess what? He has every right to say it. We have the first amendment for a reason. Fired? No! Suspended? No! Should he have apoligized and let it be? Yes!

But so long as we have those two morons who are doing a HUGE disservice to their own people...this kind of crap will continue.

...and that ****es me off!

Fugue
4/10/2007, 01:52 PM
I'm still a little unclear on your position. :texan:

SicEmBaylor
4/10/2007, 01:55 PM
I fully agree. We have a culture though that breeds victims. If I were in the position of these girls I'd probably have thought, "heh waht an *******" and gone on with my life.

mdklatt
4/10/2007, 01:57 PM
Imus is a moron for saying what he said...but guess what? He has every right to say it. We have the first amendment for a reason. Fired? No! Suspended? No! Should he have apoligized and let it be? Yes!

So, I can say anything I want, and if my boss tries to discipline me I can claim First Amendment protection?

bri
4/10/2007, 01:57 PM
Ah, white male rage at its finest. :D

royalfan5
4/10/2007, 01:59 PM
I fully agree. We have a culture though that breeds victims. If I were in the position of these girls I'd probably have thought, "heh waht an *******" and gone on with my life.
But if a chick would have said it about you, you would have done whatever she wanted and went to dinner with her and the guy who gets to **** her?

C&CDean
4/10/2007, 02:01 PM
But if a chick would have said it about you, you would have done whatever she wanted and went to dinner with her and the guy who gets to **** her?

Now that's funny right there......I don't care who ya' are.

SicEmBaylor
4/10/2007, 02:04 PM
I really doubt that he is...

bri
4/10/2007, 02:04 PM
Yeah, Sic'Em isn't really the world's foremost authority on "standing up for yourself". :D

tommieharris91
4/10/2007, 02:05 PM
It just so happens that the Rutgers team has a bunch of thug-looking black chicks. If you don't wanna be called a nappy-headed ho, don't go around looking/acting like one. Pretty simple concept I'm thinking.
This is pretty much what Don Imus said to get suspended. The stereotype does fit many in women's basketball, though. All I have to do is point to Pokey Chatman at LSU to support my claim.

tommieharris91
4/10/2007, 02:07 PM
If I were one of those girls I would sue him for slander/libel. But I'm greedy. :D

crawfish
4/10/2007, 02:15 PM
I wish the morons who keep giving them the ammo would shut up, too.

Sooner in Tampa
4/10/2007, 02:19 PM
I wish the morons who keep giving them the ammo would shut up, too.Who ???? The Rev's Al and Jesse :confused:

Come on now...it is times like these that these bottom feeders thrive on.
There are vicitms out there that a voice. :rolleyes:

jeremy885
4/10/2007, 02:31 PM
This player is a guy, right?? :confused:

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/10/imus.rutgers/newt1.rutgers8.tues.ap.jpg

yermom
4/10/2007, 02:31 PM
So, I can say anything I want, and if my boss tries to discipline me I can claim First Amendment protection?

fine, fire him for losing advertisers, etc...

the sad thing is that this is probably the best thing that could have happened for his ratings

SoonerStormchaser
4/10/2007, 02:34 PM
I think that's who Imus was referring to in his comments...EWWWW!

yermom
4/10/2007, 02:36 PM
I think that's who Imus was referring to in his comments...EWWWW!

he said nappy headed, not nappy faced

Scott D
4/10/2007, 03:26 PM
Hey Imus, just a little FYI. It's perfectly OK to insult any person who appears white including Jesus or whoever is sitting in the Oval Office. But never, ever, ever insult a person of color....unles you yourself are a person of color.

And if you are a person of color then feel free to insult anybody you damn well want to insult because, after all, you're oppressed and insulting people is just your way of speaking out against your oppression.

:rolleyes:

Scott D
4/10/2007, 03:29 PM
I wonder what your position would have been had Imus been referring to Courtney and Ashley Paris, Ebi Olajuwon, and Amanda Thompson.

bri
4/10/2007, 03:36 PM
Well, obviously then Imus would be the biggest polesmoker ever and we should all begin an email jihad and demand that he be fired.

But that's DIFFERENT, dammit!!!!

achiro
4/10/2007, 03:40 PM
Didn't he say the Tenn Girls where "pretty"

Aren't there black girls on the Tenn team?

This whole thing is just stupid.

SoonerStormchaser
4/10/2007, 03:40 PM
I'd have thought he was an effin idiot and let it be. That's the way I thought about Mike L*****a.

The only people he should've apoligized to would be the players...that's it...not the "Reverends," not to NBC.

Jimminy Crimson
4/10/2007, 03:43 PM
This player is a guy, right?? :confused:

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/10/imus.rutgers/newt1.rutgers8.tues.ap.jpg

:hot: :hot: :hot:

bri
4/10/2007, 03:43 PM
Well, I'm pretty sure that he should have to apologize to his employer, since this is a blight on them as well. But then I'm crazy like that.

Bourbon St Sooner
4/10/2007, 03:45 PM
I'm convinced this is a setup by Imus and Sharpton. Imus gets attention for his ****ty show and Sharpton gets a reason to go on TV. Win-win.

C&CDean
4/10/2007, 03:49 PM
I wonder what your position would have been had Imus been referring to Courtney and Ashley Paris, Ebi Olajuwon, and Amanda Thompson.

Dude, those girls ain't all tattooed up. Those girls ain't all nappy-headed. Those girls can speak english. Therefore, he'd be wrong.

C&CDean
4/10/2007, 03:51 PM
:rolleyes:

Timeout Scott. Don't be rolling your eyes until you've walked a mile in a crackah's shoes. It ain't easy being white. anymore.

yermom
4/10/2007, 03:52 PM

they aren't nappy headed hoes though ;)

like he said, they were rough looking, if they were white and rough looking, maybe some of the adjectives would been different

i think it's a much bigger deal that he called them hoes than that he said they were "nappy headed"

achiro
4/10/2007, 03:54 PM
Can I axe a question?
Is saying someone LOOKS like a ____________ different than saying they ARE a ___________?

Scott D
Dude, those girls ain't all tattooed up. Those girls ain't all nappy-headed. Those girls can speak english. Therefore, he'd be wrong.

So basically in the Dean context of things, because the girls for Rutgers aren't as attractive as Candace Parker it's ok for him to say those things.

I'd have thought he was an effin idiot and let it be. That's the way I thought about Mike L*****a.

The only people he should've apoligized to would be the players...that's it...not the "Reverends," not to NBC.

If you do something stupid that could publically embarrass your employer you don't think you should apologize to that employer? And are you saying that because he didn't say it about "our" girls he's not an effin idiot?

mdklatt
i think it's a much bigger deal that he called them hoes than that he said they were "nappy headed"

Although, Don Imus is one of the last people that should be calling others nappy-headed. He's definitely got a face for radio.

Scott D
4/10/2007, 03:56 PM
they aren't nappy headed hoes though ;)

like he said, they were rough looking, if they were white and rough looking, maybe some of the adjectives would been different

I'm with you, it's the "hoes" part that I have a problem with. Truthfully, anyone with at least 1 daughter should have a problem with that. I guess in Deanland it might be a fightin scenario if Imus'd called a team with the Deankids on it a bunch of "prissy walking faggots" in terms of attempting another lame attempt at humor.

Scott D
4/10/2007, 03:59 PM
Timeout Scott. Don't be rolling your eyes until you've walked a mile in a crackah's shoes. It ain't easy being white. anymore.

Why? It's not really all that cool for anyone to be like that if they are in a public forum. Like it or not, it's not about being PC when someone has a national following of sorts.

Had another two bit hack only known locally or at most regionally, like that idiot Traber said something like this. And it made the rounds on the internet, we both know that Traber'd be putting his fat no talent *** in the unemployment line today. At least until they hired him in Austin because they'll hire any no talent hack for the radio there.

C&CDean
4/10/2007, 04:00 PM
I'm with you, it's the "hoes" part that I have a problem with. Truthfully, anyone with at least 1 daughter should have a problem with that. I guess in Deanland it might be a fightin scenario if Imus'd called a team with the Deankids on it a bunch of "prissy walking faggots" in terms of attempting another lame attempt at humor.

Settle down big boy. If my kids were emos or walked around looking like fags then I'd completely expect it.

Some of those Rutgers girls looked very much stereotypically like thugs. You can't deny that. Nobody said "ugly nappy hoes" did they?

To call Courtney or Ashley Paris a "nappy-headed ho" would be like calling me a chinaman. You can say it, but it doesn't make any sense.

C&CDean
4/10/2007, 04:02 PM
Why? It's not really all that cool for anyone to be like that if they are in a public forum. Like it or not, it's not about being PC when someone has a national following of sorts.

Had another two bit hack only known locally or at most regionally, like that idiot Traber said something like this. And it made the rounds on the internet, we both know that Traber'd be putting his fat no talent *** in the unemployment line today. At least until they hired him in Austin because they'll hire any no talent hack for the radio there.

I won't argue that this wouldn't happen, my only argument is that it's stupid. Imus popped off. BFD. I just can't get into all the outrage and drama. It lends credibility to him when people even acknowledge him.

Scott D
4/10/2007, 04:02 PM
Settle down big boy. If my kids were emos or walked around looking like fags then I'd completely expect it.

Some of those Rutgers girls looked very much stereotypically like thugs. You can't deny that. Nobody said "ugly nappy hoes" did they?

To call Courtney or Ashley Paris a "nappy-headed ho" would be like calling me a chinaman. You can say it, but it doesn't make any sense.

To you and I it might not make any sense, but to someone who never watches womens basketball it might make plenty of sense, since those people'd just go off of stereotypes anyway. And someone could say something about your kids' team like that simply because they didn't like the team your kids were on, or they were rooting for the other team and were ****ed your team beat their team and held a grudge for it.

C&CDean
4/10/2007, 04:03 PM
To you and I it might not make any sense, but to someone who never watches womens basketball it might make plenty of sense, since those people'd just go off of stereotypes anyway. And someone could say something about your kids' team like that simply because they didn't like the team your kids were on, or they were rooting for the other team and were ****ed your team beat their team and held a grudge for it.

OK. So what?

Scott D
4/10/2007, 04:03 PM
I won't argue that this wouldn't happen, my only argument is that it's stupid. Imus popped off. BFD. I just can't get into all the outrage and drama. It lends credibility to him when people even acknowledge him.

Well people have a right to be outraged, just like people have a right to be outraged about there being outrage about something. I'd argue that this whole incident has been the second best thing to happen to Imus this decade, the main thing would be Howard Stern moving to Sirius Radio.

Scott D
4/10/2007, 04:05 PM
OK. So what?

So it wouldn't **** you off if this person had a national forum in which to espouse that stupidity?

C&CDean
4/10/2007, 04:07 PM
Well people have a right to be outraged, just like people have a right to be outraged about there being outrage about something. I'd argue that this whole incident has been the second best thing to happen to Imus this decade, the main thing would be Howard Stern moving to Sirius Radio.

Well y'all be all outraged without me.

I've never listened to a whole "Imus" show. I've heard bits when flipping through the channels while on travel in California several years ago. I've seen pictures of his nappy-head wearing the gay cowboy hat. Other than that, Imus is unknown to me. And there's probably a lot of people out there like me on this. What's sad is that a lot of those people are gonna go listen to him now just because of this. And you're right, he's gonna get rich off of it.

And y'all outraged folks are at fault.

C&CDean
4/10/2007, 04:10 PM
So it wouldn't **** you off if this person had a national forum in which to espouse that stupidity?

Hell no. 99% of America watches **** like Survivor and AI. There's all kinds of stupidity out there coming from national forums (Bill Maher, Rush, etc.). I simply don't give a **** about Imus.

And why is there two ****ing threads about this lame-assed topic anyhow?

C&CDean
4/10/2007, 04:11 PM
There. Now there's only one stupid thread. Well on this topic I mean.

mdklatt
4/10/2007, 04:12 PM
Can I axe a question?
Is saying someone LOOKS like a ____________ different than saying they ARE a ___________?

If ______ is a visual attribute (e.g. nappy headed), than not at all:

You look like the ugliest mother****er on the planet...I'm not saying you are him, I'm just saying you look like him.

yermom
4/10/2007, 04:13 PM
Well y'all be all outraged without me.

I've never listened to a whole "Imus" show. I've heard bits when flipping through the channels while on travel in California several years ago. I've seen pictures of his nappy-head wearing the gay cowboy hat. Other than that, Imus is unknown to me. And there's probably a lot of people out there like me on this. What's sad is that a lot of those people are gonna go listen to him now just because of this. And you're right, he's gonna get rich off of it.

And y'all outraged folks are at fault.

yep, i only knew who he was because he was in Howard Stern's movie

he didn't think much of him either :D

jk the sooner fan
4/10/2007, 04:19 PM

i know, you cant say ANYTHING anymore

dammit

Octavian
4/10/2007, 04:23 PM
Can I axe a question?

You mean, he's mixed?

Uhh, I dunno. I don't think we're supposed to be talking about this.

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/6905/jerryyelainecj4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

FaninAma
4/10/2007, 04:42 PM

If there was a prior, well-documented, long history of you saying offensive things and your boss approving of your prior actions then, yes.

Listen. Imus is a jackass but he has been a jackasss for a long,long time. He has insulted a lot of people( and a lot of groups of people) just as badly as he did the Rutgers women's basketball team.

It's a double standard....plain and simple. I just find it sad that some in black society want to play the victim in perpetuity. It is a significant roadblock to economic progress, IMO since victims are always dependent on others to help them accomplish goals that they(the victims) have decided they can't accomplish on their own.

My self-worth is not, in any way, dependent on what strangers think of me. Insults and perceived slights will not keep me from achieving my personal goals.

TMcGee86
4/10/2007, 04:54 PM
This is what I find funny,

Before this incident I had no idea the term "nappy" was racist.

Before the Southwest Airlines incident I had no idea the "eenie meenie miney moe" was racist.

And I'm 30 years old, so it's not like I'm a pup.

I really think if people like Sharpton and Jackson stfu and let everyone live, we would be a much less racist place.

Rogue
4/10/2007, 05:21 PM
Then we have the hotheads Jesse "Hymie Town" Jackson and the "Reverend" Al Sharpton. Someone remind me just what he's the frickin reverend of?

I think it's the church down the road from the Right Reverend Ole Vet's Evangelizin' and Marryin' Chapel! :D :D

Viking Kitten
4/10/2007, 05:24 PM
Once again I ask... how is any of this related to the First Amendment?

First Amendment:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Once again... who exactly in Congress or which government entity is trying to restrict Don Imus' freedom of speech?

Don Imus has the legal right to say whatever he wants (within limits that have been defined by caselaw, of course). NBC has the right to do whatever they want to Don Imus within the terms of their contract.

Say it with me, boys and girls. THIS. HAS. NOTHING. TO. DO. WITH. THE. FIRST. AMENDMENT.

Jerk
4/10/2007, 05:28 PM
The joke of the Imus thing is how much attention this has received.

Iran is a year away from a nuke but what some idiot said about some nappy ho' gets more attention. If it ain't that, then it's about Anna Nichol's baby daddy.

Oh well, at least it happened to a kerry-supporting anti-war lib. And they didn't even have to take his words out of context like they do with Rush Limbaugh.

Jerk
4/10/2007, 05:31 PM
ps- ChuckBao - it must be nice to have a government looking out for you and protecting you from such dangerous things as you-tube vids. Our gov't will be just as good at being our parents in about another 10-20 years. As long as the sheep get their bread and circuses, ain't no one going to give a f***.

picasso
4/10/2007, 05:34 PM
There are consequences for the things you say in public.

-The Dixie Chicks

GrapevineSooner
4/10/2007, 05:39 PM
I long for the day when people like Imus can say dumb crap and nobody makes a big deal over it.

Scott D
4/10/2007, 05:48 PM
ps- ChuckBao - it must be nice to have a government looking out for you and protecting you from such dangerous things as you-tube vids. Our gov't will be just as good at being our parents in about another 10-20 years. As long as the sheep get their bread and circuses, ain't no one going to give a f***.

Actually, it's more that it is a crime for the King to be portrayed as he was in youtube video.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/10/2007, 06:51 PM

Can a crackah join in?

bri
4/10/2007, 08:16 PM
Once again I ask... how is any of this related to the First Amendment?

First Amendment:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Once again... who exactly in Congress or which government entity is trying to restrict Don Imus' freedom of speech?

Don Imus has the legal right to say whatever he wants (within limits that have been defined by caselaw, of course). NBC has the right to do whatever they want to Don Imus within the terms of their contract.

Say it with me, boys and girls. THIS. HAS. NOTHING. TO. DO. WITH. THE. FIRST. AMENDMENT.

Wait, you mean people misinterpret amendments to support their arguements without regard for the actual wording of said amendment?

That almost never happens! :D

Dead Horse
4/10/2007, 09:08 PM
I'm kicking you all in my mind. HAH. HOW DO YOU LIKE IT? IS THIS FUN FOR YOU???

VeeJay
4/10/2007, 09:37 PM
Holy shiite!

You'd think Moses came down the mountaintop damning the Rutgers Women's Basketball Team to Hell.

Enough of the freekin' drama already.

Hatfield
4/11/2007, 08:34 AM
jason whitlock has a great article on this situation today.

BigRedJed
4/11/2007, 08:41 AM
That tool doesn't have a "great article" on ANY situation, ANY day.

Hatfield
4/11/2007, 08:46 AM
except for today on this topic.

(i generally hold your opinion of him though)

C&CDean
4/11/2007, 08:55 AM
I do NOT want to read/see anything more on this horrific incident that ruined so many people's lives. Oh the humanity...

Mjcpr
4/11/2007, 08:57 AM
I'm gonna lock this one up.

C&CDean
4/11/2007, 09:01 AM
Lock this, pat.

BigRedJed
4/11/2007, 09:10 AM
Yeah, pat. Go ahead and lock it. kthx.

Mjcpr
4/11/2007, 09:11 AM
I'm torn on the issue.....I'll let you know what I decide, thx.

achiro
4/11/2007, 10:52 AM
Ok so now we are here on page 12 and nobady has answered the question posed by me on page one and again later in the thread.

How is his statement about the Rutgers girls racist if he called the Tenn girls "pretty" and there are plenty of black girls on the Tenn team?

SleestakSooner
4/11/2007, 11:15 AM

What about all the wannabe's... Dean needs to be representin too yo!

C&CDean
4/11/2007, 11:17 AM
represent this, muh****ah.

tommieharris91
4/11/2007, 11:21 AM
Something I noticed yesterday: The Rutgers coach spoke yesterday about "...not letting things like this get to her." If the school had to call a press conference about what was said about her team, is that letting a comment get to her?

GrapevineSooner
4/11/2007, 12:16 PM
Something I noticed yesterday: The Rutgers coach spoke yesterday about "...not letting things like this get to her." If the school had to call a press conference about what was said about her team, is that letting a comment get to her?

I'd have to say so.

Also, is it possible some of these ladies are subject to worse treatment at road games? And if so, how do they handle that?

Lookit, if Don Imus' employer decides this is a firable offense, they're within their right to decide it is.

But I think several people are blowing this out of proportion.

SicEmBaylor
4/11/2007, 12:31 PM

I think they should have held the press conference but avoided mentioning the Imus comments at all. They should have stood up and stuck strictly to the message of their championship and the effort that it took to get there and how proud of themselves they are for accomplishing that. Take Imus out of the equation and make it about the team.

sooner_born_1960
4/11/2007, 12:33 PM
What championship?

SicEmBaylor
4/11/2007, 12:43 PM
What championship?
Err, championship game.

Scott D
4/11/2007, 05:06 PM

supposedly the players are getting bombarded with phone calls, emails, and text messages about it. Hence the press conference they had as a team yesterday. I think it was more of a "we can't escape this" reasoning for the press conference.

Rogue
4/11/2007, 07:02 PM
Imus made some craphead comments and I think he was dead wrong for saying them. This has been blown far enough out of proportion a'la the Anna Nicole baby-daddy thing that I think it must be a vast right wing conspiracy to detract from all the dyin' goin' on in Iraq. It's George W. Bush's fault. There I said it. :rolleyes:

usmc-sooner
4/11/2007, 07:04 PM
Imus is a liberal democrat

so all liberal democrats must hate nappy headed hoes.

We in the Republican Party however embrace nappy headed hoes, ... and jigaboos

BajaOklahoma
4/11/2007, 07:36 PM
I hope that something good comes out of this. I am so sick of hearing people, especially young people, using words that I was raised to find offensive when they refer to each other. It's sad to say, but I wasn't as offended as I should have been by this episode - probably due to hearing these words bandied about. I am not pleased that I am becoming to "used to" this type of thing.
Bring back respect for others.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/11/2007, 07:39 PM
The ACLU would get involved in this and protect Imus if he had said it about a christian school's basketball team....

Now I retreat:P

OklahomaTuba
4/11/2007, 10:00 PM
Well, no more IMUS on Mrs. NBC.

4/12/2007, 12:40 AM
Well, no more IMUS on Mrs. NBC.
Golly, I'm sure gonna miss his show...

OUAndy1807
4/12/2007, 08:21 AM
I know a lot of people don't like Whitlock, and I'm not going to go through the 6 pages to see if this has been posted, but I think he makes some good points about the Reverend and Al:

Imus isn’t the real bad guy

Instead of wasting time on irrelevant shock jock, black leaders need to be fighting a growing gangster culture.

By JASON WHITLOCK - Columnist

Thank you, Don Imus. You’ve given us (black people) an excuse to avoid our real problem.
You’ve given Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson another opportunity to pretend that the old fight, which is now the safe and lucrative fight, is still the most important fight in our push for true economic and social equality.
You’ve given Vivian Stringer and Rutgers the chance to hold a nationally televised recruiting celebration expertly disguised as a news conference to respond to your poor attempt at humor.
Thank you, Don Imus. You extended Black History Month to April, and we can once again wallow in victimhood, protest like it’s 1965 and delude ourselves into believing that fixing your hatred is more necessary than eradicating our self-hatred.
The bigots win again.
While we’re fixated on a bad joke cracked by an irrelevant, bad shock jock, I’m sure at least one of the marvelous young women on the Rutgers basketball team is somewhere snapping her fingers to the beat of 50 Cent’s or Snoop Dogg’s or Young Jeezy’s latest ode glorifying nappy-headed pimps and hos.
I ain’t saying Jesse, Al and Vivian are gold-diggas, but they don’t have the heart to mount a legitimate campaign against the real black-folk killas.
It is us. At this time, we are our own worst enemies. We have allowed our youths to buy into a culture (hip hop) that has been perverted, corrupted and overtaken by prison culture. The music, attitude and behavior expressed in this culture is anti-black, anti-education, demeaning, self-destructive, pro-drug dealing and violent.
Rather than confront this heinous enemy from within, we sit back and wait for someone like Imus to have a slip of the tongue and make the mistake of repeating the things we say about ourselves.
It’s embarrassing. Dave Chappelle was offered $50 million to make racially insensitive jokes about black and white people on TV. He was hailed as a genius. Black comedians routinely crack jokes about white and black people, and we all laugh out loud.
I’m no Don Imus apologist. He and his tiny companion Mike ****** blasted me after I fell out with ESPN. Imus is a hack.
But, in my view, he didn’t do anything outside the norm for shock jocks and comedians. He also offered an apology. That should’ve been the end of this whole affair. Instead, it’s only the beginning. It’s an opportunity for Stringer, Jackson and Sharpton to step on victim platforms and elevate themselves and their agenda$.
I watched the Rutgers news conference and was ashamed.
Martin Luther King Jr. spoke for eight minutes in 1963 at the March on Washington. At the time, black people could be lynched and denied fundamental rights with little thought. With the comments of a talk-show host most of her players had never heard of before last week serving as her excuse, Vivian Stringer rambled on for 30 minutes about the amazing season her team had.
Somehow, we’re supposed to believe that the comments of a man with virtually no connection to the sports world ruined Rutgers’ wonderful season. Had a broadcaster with credibility and a platform in the sports world uttered the words Imus did, I could understand a level of outrage.
But an hourlong press conference over a man who has already apologized, already been suspended and is already insignificant is just plain intellectually dishonest. This is opportunism. This is a distraction.
In the grand scheme, Don Imus is no threat to us in general and no threat to black women in particular. If his words are so powerful and so destructive and must be rebuked so forcefully, then what should we do about the idiot rappers on BET, MTV and every black-owned radio station in the country who use words much more powerful and much more destructive?
I don’t listen or watch Imus’ show regularly. Has he at any point glorified selling crack cocaine to black women? Has he celebrated black men shooting each other randomly? Has he suggested in any way that it’s cool to be a baby-daddy rather than a husband and a parent? Does he tell his listeners that they’re suckers for pursuing education and that they’re selling out their race if they do?
When Imus does any of that, call me and I’ll get upset. Until then, he is what he is — a washed-up shock jock who is very easy to ignore when you’re not looking to be made a victim.
No. We all know where the real battleground is. We know that the gangsta rappers and their followers in the athletic world have far bigger platforms to negatively define us than some old white man with a bad radio show. There’s no money and lots of danger in that battle, so Jesse and Al are going to sit it out.

OUAndy1807
4/12/2007, 08:22 AM
heh. L*pica is still banned?

Sooner in Tampa
4/12/2007, 08:26 AM
Whitlock is right on the money.

sanantoniosooner
4/12/2007, 09:00 AM
http://www.aprilwinchell.com/

So Many People to Thank

STATEMENT FROM NBC NEWS

Effective immediately, MSNBC will no longer simulcast the "Imus in the Morning" radio program. What matters to us most is that the men and women of NBC Universal have confidence in the values we have set for this company. This is the only decision that makes that possible. Once again, we apologize to the women of the Rutgers basketball team and to our viewers. We deeply regret the pain this incident has caused.

Well, our long national nightmare is over.

As we sit with our families tonight, slowly healing from this terrible ordeal, we are filled with gratitude. And we have so many people to thank.

Thank you, NBC/Universal. Thank you for upholding the values you have set for your company by firing Don Imus.

Some people might say you would have better upheld those values by dumping the NBCUni show, Maury; a program that exploits the absolute dregs of the black community, and plays squarely into every stereotype imaginable.

But what do they know? Taking Don Imus off the air just as he was about to start two days of fundraising for cancer-stricken children makes a much stronger statement about your values.

Thank you, Al Sharpton, for showing us that apologies are not meant to be accepted from white people, and not to be offered by black people. Give our best to Tawana.

Thank you, Al Roker, for taking time away from the important job of reading weather reports someone else wrote for you, in order to hoist your fat *** onto the race-baiting bandwagon. Thank you for showing us that the quickest way to elevate yourself is to step on the back of someone who is already down.

Thank you, Barack Obama, for supporting the silencing of someone who has offended you. Your committment to the sanctity of the first amendment is positively presidential.

And what a wonderful message you've sent to the black youth of this country: Jokes matter.

Let stupid comments rob you of your self esteem. Give every ******* the power to spoil your accomplishments. Yes, Mr. Obama, you are truly a beacon of all that is possible in their lifetime.

And while we're on the subject, thank you, Rutgers Womens Basketball Team, for being persuaded to be hurt by a joke that a ten year old would laugh off. How hard it must have been for a group of strong, smart, empowered women to bow to pressure to feel degraded by a witless crack from an old white guy. Thank you for allowing the spotlight to hypnotize you into submission, so we could have this important national dialogue.

And thank you, American media, because now that you have purged MSNBC of racial insensitivity, it stands to reason that every network, every radio station, every movie studio and every record label will follow suit!

Goodybye, Black America Radio! Farewell, Spike Lee! So long, Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle, Tyler Perry, Bill Cosby and every black comedian who has ever worked in any medium!

Gone is Mel Gibson, Jesse "Hymie-town" Jackson, Carlos Mencia, Lisa Lampanelli, Howard Stern, Don Rickles and anyone else who has ever uttered a word of derision, joking or otherwise, about any person of any race or religion.

It feels good, doesn't it?

Well, it gets better. Because now, it's our turn!

We can't hold public figures to this standard if we ourselves are unable or unwilling to do our part. Even in private, our jokes and asides carry the potential danger of hurting someone's feelings. And if this episode has taught us anything, it is that hurt feelings are the most important thing there is. Sticks and stones may break our bones, but names are an actionable offense.

And so we will vow to make no jokes about Asian drivers, cheap Jews and Mexicans selling oranges by the side of the freeway. In fact, such remarks will be reported, and offenders will lose their jobs - no matter how many years of service and charitable work they may have provided. That is what being accountable is all about.

But we're not done yet. For us to really change, we must examine the insensitivity in all things exclusionary:

How does Black History Month make Hispanic people feel?
Why can't Asian people go to the bank on Martin Luther King Day?
Why is there a BET, but no VET for Vietnamese people?
Are Jewish people offended by Shamrock Shakes?
Why is there no United Caucasian College Fund?
How can there be an NFL when Muslims are opposed to pigskin?

Sure, it will be a lot of work to rid ourselves of all our diferences. But slowly, we will make our society completely homogenized and flavorless; a bland, vanilla sludge where everyone is the same.

Where there are no individuals, there can be no discrimination.
Where there is no point of view, there can be no disagreement.
Where there is no freedom, there can be no trespass.

I know. It's a pipe dream.

But NBCUni is making it happen, one show at a time.

stoopified
4/12/2007, 11:21 AM
Imus is a boring old hack. I think they were looking for any way to put his wrinkled, cowboy hat wearing hiney out to pasture.I think his next job will be in Stoolwater.All he has to do is get an ORANGE cowboy hat.

Rogue
4/12/2007, 06:33 PM
Is it over yet?

Dio
4/13/2007, 12:28 PM
Interesting quote in the Whitlock article:

"I’m no Don Imus apologist. He and his tiny companion Mike Lup!ca blasted me after I fell out with ESPN. Imus is a hack."