PDA

View Full Version : Pelphrey to AURKANSAW

okienole3
4/9/2007, 07:30 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2830349

Arkansas' search for a new head basketball coach appears to finally be over. The Razorbacks are set to hire South Alabama's John Pelphrey, a source close to the situation told ESPN.com's Andy Katz.

Pelphrey, 38 accepted the position Sunday and informed his players at South Alabama of his decision. The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reported that the official announcement is expected Monday afternoon.

Pelphrey will take over for Stan Heath, who was fired in March after five seasons at the helm. Heath led Arkansas to the NCAA Tournament this season, where it bowed out in the first round for the second straight year.

Last week, the Razorbacks thought they had their man. Creighton coach Dana Altman took the position, but then changed his mind and returned to Creighton.

Now they turn to Pelphrey. In five seasons, Pelphrey led South Alabama to an 80-67 record. Pelphrey took the Jaguars to the 2006 NCAA Tournament, their first appearance since 1998.

Andy Katz is a senior writer for ESPN.com

colleyvillesooner
4/9/2007, 08:01 AM
wow, talk about a small splash.

AllAboutThe'O'
4/9/2007, 03:09 PM
I think it's a good hire for the Hogs. Pelphrey knows the SEC from having played at Kentucky and coached at Florida. He is definitely a Rick Pitino disciple; he prefers the up-tempo, pressing style. Also, I think he has better upside than Dana Altman would have brought.

AllAboutThe'O'
4/9/2007, 03:12 PM
And I'm watching the press conference right now on the local Fort Smith stations. The UA chancellor rambled on for five minutes about being in the SEC, and traveling through the bayous of Louisiana, the magnolias of Mississippi, the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee, the low country of South Carolina and the swamps of Florida. He tied all that in with saying that they were looking for somebody who knew the SEC and that Pelphrey, in his words, fit them "like a glove."

OSUAggie
4/9/2007, 03:12 PM
Pelphrey's resume reeks of Stan Heath.

AllAboutThe'O'
4/9/2007, 03:13 PM
Now Frank the Fossil keeps repeating that "He's been there, he's been there, he's been there, he's been there, he's been there."

Now, they're doing the Hog Call. Pehlprey looks a little awkward doing it.

AllAboutThe'O'
4/9/2007, 03:16 PM
Listening to Pelphrey talk, I'm trying to figure out what kind of accent he has. Sounds like he's spent too much time with Pitino and Donovan. He's got a Kentucky twang mixed in with a little Long Island and Brooklynese.

OSUAggie
4/9/2007, 03:19 PM
Where did he grow up?

AllAboutThe'O'
4/9/2007, 03:29 PM
Where did he grow up?
According to Wikipedia, he was the 1987 Kentucky Mr. Basketball from Paintsville.

OSUAggie
4/9/2007, 03:56 PM
That's way up in Appalachia... Looks about right.

william_brasky
4/9/2007, 04:28 PM
Pelphrey's the guy I was campaigning for before Capel came along.

So, great hire Hawgs. :D

MikeInNorman
4/9/2007, 05:00 PM
Thank goodness they left us Ratboy to mock next year.

At that, the mocking better get in early, Boone may only give Ratboy one more year.

Blue
4/9/2007, 07:02 PM
Pelphrey's the guy I was campaigning for before Capel came along.

So, great hire Hawgs. :D

Me too. I think it's a good hire.