PDA

View Full Version : Changing a fuel filter in a diesel truck

1stTimeCaller
4/8/2007, 11:46 AM
I was going to change my own the other day but when I asked a guy that was a mechanic he said that I should have it done because there is a high chance of it vapor-locking and not starting when I got finished.

I change my own oil, do I have the skill set to change my own fuel filter? Are there any special dos and don'ts I should know about?

Was that guy FOS?

To hell with paying someone $65 to do it for me again.

TIA

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/8/2007, 11:48 AM
<Paging OleVet>

Turd_Ferguson
4/8/2007, 11:52 AM
What kind of truck is it? I have an 02 Dodge. I have changed mine a hundred times and only had to bleed it once. Just make sure the fuel filter canister is full.

TF

Mongo
4/8/2007, 11:52 AM
They charge $65?!?!?!? Were they gonna use lube on ya.

my place charges around $15. I think it is pretty simple to replace. Just let the fuel pump prime the line before cranking it up.

What kind of erl you using? Rotella? Baby?

1stTimeCaller
4/8/2007, 12:12 PM
Rotella T

hell the fuel filter I have was more than $15. That place wouldn't let me use my own, I had to buy one from them.

1stTimeCaller
4/8/2007, 12:13 PM
Oh, it's an 06 Chevy 2500 with the Duramax engine.

Mongo
4/8/2007, 12:18 PM
Damn. I have been looking at the wrong part of the bill. I have been paying that much:mad:

1stTimeCaller
4/8/2007, 12:26 PM
about $65?

Mongo
4/8/2007, 12:27 PM
yup

Mongo
4/8/2007, 12:28 PM
they charge $15 for labor, but it is worth it when I only have a few hours until I have to get back to location

opksooner
4/8/2007, 01:43 PM
Watch an oil change. Ask questions. Learn.

[Looking out, over counter.....] "NEXT!"

1stTimeCaller
4/8/2007, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the advice on oil changes. I do those myself. A fuel filter and an oil filter while both filters are different.

Sooner Eclipse
4/8/2007, 03:26 PM
It depends on the type of injection system that the engine uses. If it is an older type system, ie-pressure activated injectors, then yes it can be a problem. The problem is that if the air in the new (empty) filter gets pulled into the injection distributor/pump it has to be pushed out thru one or more of the injectors. These systems work by pushing pressurized fuel thru an injector that has a release valve set to a particular pressure (example 1200 psi) Since liquid cannot be compressed, when pressurized it reaches the needed value and the injector releases it. If air gets in the system, the air compresses and it never reaches the pressure needed and the injector doesn't open. If this happens you have to bleed the injector lines to get the air out.

Best way to avoid this is to prime (fill) the filter before you install it. It can handle small ammts of air but not too much at once.

The newer systems will eventually bleed the air out due to injectors being opened by a computer generated signal that opens the injector whether fuel is at the inlet or not. These newer systems are commonly called "common rail, direct injection" etc.

I'm not familiar with GM fuel systems but the newer system is most likely whats on your duramax. It still wouldn't hurt to prime the filter on this system as well. Might keep you from having to crank the engine for several minutes while the filter fills.

So no he's not FOS but he might be embellishing the severity of the possible problem depending on the particular fuel system. Hope this helps

olevetonahill
4/8/2007, 04:40 PM
Pretty Much what he said .
Fill the filter prior to putting it back on , dont leave the system open any longer than you have to .
It aint that hard .
Oh and also fill the Oil filter befor you put it on to .
YWIA.