PDA

View Full Version : i was looking for a car gps thingy...

stonecoldsoonerfan
4/8/2007, 02:30 AM
one that you could type in the latitude/longitude coordinates and it would tell you how to get there. can anyone recommend one that's good?

tia.

Rogue
4/8/2007, 08:00 AM
I have a doctor buddy who insists that his "Garmin" is the best.

BajaOklahoma
4/8/2007, 09:00 AM
I rented a car with a Garmin GPS. It was easy to use. But it worked with addresses, not coordinates.
I think there are some for fishing that work on coordinates. For favorite fishin' holes.

stonecoldsoonerfan
4/8/2007, 12:48 PM
this alpine does it for coordinates. i heard that it was the only one out there that did it by that feature. anyone know if there's another one that can do it by coordinates?

http://www1.epinions.com/Alpine_PMD_B100_Navigation_GPS_Portable_Car_Naviga tion_GPS_Receiver/display_~reviews

soonersweetie
4/8/2007, 07:02 PM
The one that is installed as an option on the 2007 GMC Sierra trucks has coordinates.

I know this because we bought one last week.

However, buying a new car might be a bit extreme just to get the gps system, lol.

Ruuuuuufus
4/8/2007, 07:31 PM
tomtom will do coordinates

OUDoc
4/8/2007, 08:19 PM
The one that is installed as an option on the 2007 GMC Sierra trucks has coordinates.

I know this because we bought one last week.

However, buying a new car might be a bit extreme just to get the gps system, lol.
We bought a GMC Acadia last week. I haven't quite figured out the GPS as well as I'd like (I just figured out how to make the screen face the right way instead of north always being up. It's weird seeing your travel going down the GPS screen instead of up).
I've got a Garmin 330, I don't think it does coordinates though.

stonecoldsoonerfan
4/9/2007, 10:09 AM
tomtom will do coordinates

ruf-

called tomtom customer service and they said they have the coordinates on their gps's, but you can't type in the coordinates and have it locate your destination that way.

thanks anyway. at least i can cross them off my list.

stonecoldsoonerfan
4/9/2007, 02:03 PM
looks like all of garmin's nuvi line has it. thanks for everyone's help.

Ruuuuuufus
4/16/2007, 01:57 AM
ruf-

called tomtom customer service and they said they have the coordinates on their gps's, but you can't type in the coordinates and have it locate your destination that way.

thanks anyway. at least i can cross them off my list.

sorry I missed your reply. Not sure what model you were referring to with the customer service people but my tomtom go gives me an option to navigate to specific latitude/longitude coordinates (as well as city centers, street addresses, zip code, intersection, point of interest and point on map).

Hamhock
4/16/2007, 08:11 AM
i talked to a guy who's friend's neighbor's plumber did a lot of research on this.

he found that paying an extra $10/month for GPS on his cell phone was a lot better than buying one of the permanent units. it is functional, cheaper, and much easier to travel with.

stonecoldsoonerfan
4/16/2007, 10:22 AM
sorry I missed your reply. Not sure what model you were referring to with the customer service people but my tomtom go gives me an option to navigate to specific latitude/longitude coordinates (as well as city centers, street addresses, zip code, intersection, point of interest and point on map).

if i remember correctly, they said that none of their units did that. so much for customer service, huh?

TheHumanAlphabet
4/16/2007, 10:47 AM
I have a Garmin M5 IQue PDA with gps. Love, easy to travel with and plus the pda is my mp3 player as well...

Oh, I think you can input coordinates, but not sure...

85Sooner
4/16/2007, 01:25 PM
Be careful, most of them are about 2 years behind on their database. So if you are having alot of building going on they may be a hinderance rather than a help. My installers have run into this. Also they only give one upgrade in software. every other upgrade is about 70 bucks.

Okieflyer
4/16/2007, 02:07 PM
The Garmin 550c is wonderful. Plus it has blue tooth.

I had to throw that in there for the tech-haters. ;)

TheHumanAlphabet
4/16/2007, 02:30 PM
Be careful, most of them are about 2 years behind on their database. So if you are having alot of building going on they may be a hinderance rather than a help. My installers have run into this. Also they only give one upgrade in software. every other upgrade is about 70 bucks.

Mine has maps that are DVDs and you can purchase new map sets over the ineerweb. Even for Europe and the World...You then load the maps onto an SD card and insert into the PDA.

Suerreal
4/16/2007, 05:48 PM
We have a TomTom GO 510 (basic model).

It does have the capability to input lat/long coordinates and give you driving directions. You can choose between formats including degree minute second, or degree minute thousandths-of-minute.

We used it for Geocaching, and it worked fairly well. It takes you to the closest known road which may not be the best point to access the cache from, (as you may wind up on someone's driveway if their property backs onto a park). But it will usually take you to a different point if you drive away from the suggested point.

- Sue

stonecoldsoonerfan
4/17/2007, 05:15 AM
The Garmin 550c is wonderful. Plus it has blue tooth.

I had to throw that in there for the tech-haters. ;)

i have the nuvi 360 coming and it has that also for the hands free calling feature.

RiddlerOK
5/2/2007, 01:57 PM
I too just ordered a Garmin Nuvi 360 and it should be on my doorstep Friday. And I paid only $393 for it brand new in the box, with free shipping! (It retails for $749) Woo hoo!

I'll let you know how I like it once I start playing with it.

One thing my wife should love is the hands-free phone bluetooth capability with the FM modulator feature, which allows the caller's voice on incoming calls, to be piped through the FM radio and speakers. :)

Another thing that drove me to buy the 360 is that it comes with a lithium-ion battery pack, a charger stand AND a car power adapter. Only the 660 and 360 have this amongst all current GPS product lines on the market.

And if it allows plotting of Lat./Long., that is just icing on my big anniversary cake.

Last but not least, I like the fact you can carry it around as a portable GPS device and use it on 4-8 hours battery power. Just quick disconnect it from the car windshield mount, toss it in your shirt pocket and you are on your way. The car windshield mount had better work. I'd hate to have to spend an additional $45 to buy the two dashtop mount pieces that a lot of people have thrown down for so far this year.