PDA

View Full Version : A frat boy does good

1stTimeCaller
4/7/2007, 07:51 PM
Here is a picture of my little bro from Beta Theta Pi at OU.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c113/nashty10/Flag.jpg

Combat patch on the right sleeve, airborne and Ranger tabs on the left sleeve and the guidon in his hands, taking command of a company of Infantrymen.

Do you guys have people in your lives that aren't family but you're as proud of their accomplishments as if they were your flesh and blood?

I couldn't be more proud of him if I tried.

BajaOklahoma
4/7/2007, 08:08 PM
That's wonderful. Congrats!

Rhino
4/7/2007, 11:44 PM
Here's a curiousity question for you military boys, why are those flags backwards?

olevetonahill
4/7/2007, 11:48 PM
Here's a curiousity question for you military boys, why are those flags backwards?
They are NOT backards .
Hope you Never see one going into Combat .

Vaevictis
4/8/2007, 12:26 AM

IIRC, the stars are to be oriented towards the front of the body so the flag is "streaming behind", like it would if you were carrying a real flag forward.

(You are referring to the patches, right?)

Rhino
4/8/2007, 12:28 AM
They are NOT backards .
Hope you Never see one going into Combat . K...

Thanks for not answering an honest question.

IIRC, the stars are to be oriented towards the front of the body so the flag is "streaming behind", like it would if you were carrying a real flag forward. Gotcha. Thanks.

olevetonahill
4/8/2007, 12:33 AM
K...

Thanks for not answering an honest question.

Gotcha. Thanks.
Sorry bro :O
Even after almost 40 yrs , I still feel like we are gettin Dissed .:O

jk the sooner fan
4/8/2007, 07:18 AM
Rhino - imagine a western cavalry troup on horseback, riding in to battle...you'll see the one rider carrying the flag.....the flag is flying the way you see the patch.......when we're going "to battle", the patch is worn that way

1tc - good stuff! hoooahhhhh

Rogue
4/8/2007, 07:39 AM
I'm glad they're able to wear the flag patches now. In '91 we couldn't have 'em on our uniforms so we wouldn't offend anyone. :rolleyes:

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p99/cjrogue/Twill201st20Cav.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p99/cjrogue/cpx_1stCav.jpg

:les:I don't wanna read any crap about a horse never ridden and a river never crossed. :texan:

Rhino
4/8/2007, 11:32 PM
Rhino - imagine a western cavalry troup on horseback, riding in to battle...you'll see the one rider carrying the flag.....the flag is flying the way you see the patch.......when we're going "to battle", the patch is worn that way Gotcha.

Any significance to it being on the right shoulder, as opposed to the left? (it could face the stars to stripes if it was on the left) Or is it done that way to stick out and signify going into battle because it appears different than one normally sees it?

Ash
4/8/2007, 11:44 PM
Major props.

IMHO airborne + rangers = one tough d00d.

I've got several family members in Iraq and Afghanistan.

My niece trains Marines.:eek:

I'm super proud of all my peeps that serve and have served.

Good on your bro.

1stTimeCaller
4/9/2007, 03:54 AM
Gotcha.

Any significance to it being on the right shoulder, as opposed to the left? (it could face the stars to stripes if it was on the left) Or is it done that way to stick out and signify going into battle because it appears different than one normally sees it?

The left shoulder is for your current unit patch and any tabs associated with that unit. The right shoulder is for units that have been/are in combat. You get the flag as you are getting ready to be deployed. You get to wear the patch of the unit you deployed with on your right shoulder when you get back.

Things may have changed a bit since I got out in 03 with concerns to the flag patch and who/when folks wear it.

My old guard unit had a few choices as to what patch they could wear on their right shoulder when they got back from Desert Storm. Some wore the Big Red One, some the 1st Cav, some VII Corp (IIRC). 'A' battery could even choose to wear the patch of the British Desert Rats. Only the folks that were deployed for DS could wear the patch on their right shoulder.

jk the sooner fan
4/9/2007, 05:52 AM
Gotcha.

yeah its done that way to signify that we're "going to battle"

once we're all done over there, everybody switches to signify the other direction

OUDoc
4/9/2007, 08:13 AM
Good to see fellow Betas doing so well.

Fraggle145
4/9/2007, 10:03 AM
Here is a picture of my little bro from Beta Theta Pi at OU.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c113/nashty10/Flag.jpg

Combat patch on the right sleeve, airborne and Ranger tabs on the left sleeve and the guidon in his hands, taking command of a company of Infantrymen.

Do you guys have people in your lives that aren't family but you're as proud of their accomplishments as if they were your flesh and blood?

I couldn't be more proud of him if I tried.

He is one of my best friends. There is not a more stand up individual that I know.

OUDoc
4/9/2007, 10:07 AM
What's with the half-painted rock/boulder/monument behind them?

jk the sooner fan
4/9/2007, 10:10 AM
us army guys love to paint unit emblems on big rocks

i'm sure its between a "do over"

sanantoniosooner
4/9/2007, 10:14 AM
What's with the half-painted rock/boulder/monument behind them?
unfortunately my guess would be graffiti cover up.

Fortunately I'm wrong according to jk.