PDA

View Full Version : Spring Thoughts

Octavian
4/7/2007, 07:25 PM
QB - unless something unexpected happens, it looks like the coaches have the most confidence in Bradford - and he's been the most consistent throughout the spring. I still think KN has a huge upside and a lot of potential...but if the first game was next week, Sam would start.

Injuries - we need to get healthy: Malcolm, Loadholt, Madu, C. Bennett, McCoy, Reynolds, and now Eldridge (who'd I miss?) Those are several starters on both sides of the ball...and it's hard to gauge how good we are going to be with that many on the sidelines. It'd be nice to have them all healthy for the start of fall ball and get some cohesiveness by the time the Canes come to Norman.

Safeties - what's up?? Can someone, anyone...play safety for us so we can leave Reggie at CB? Please. If we can get some consistent play at safety we'll be a rock solid secondary.

TE's - hopefully we just weren't showing anything today because it was on TV....b/c I hope we actually work the TE into the game plans this year instead of just talking about it. We're very talented here and to not use our big targets for our young QBs would be a waste. That's on KW.

RB's - Yeah, so Murray is kinda good. Wonder if USC still thinks he'd make a better cornerback? :D He hasn't played in a game yet, but...wow. Then add AP, Brown, Gute, and Madu...and we're the deepest we've been at RB since the Wishbone days. If our OL is as good as billed (and they played well today without Loadholt), we're gonna be tough.

The names are back! Everyone can breathe again ;)

I should've payed more attention to the DE's and the LB's but it's tough without replay...I'll watch it when it comes on again tonight at 8:00.

We've still got some question marks...but I think overall we're further along right now at this point in the spring than we were in either of the past two seasons.

goingoneight
4/7/2007, 07:37 PM
I sat on the second row at midfield, and the only nameplate I could read was the ones who ran close by. And I've been told my vision is 20/20. I don't know why it was such a big dealio. Last I checked, that's what rosters were for. I must say in contrast, though... the jerseys look better the new/old way with the names on. Anyone else notice they weren't aggy red, either?

Okay... onto what matters:

Sam Bradford played great, and had the receivers (:mad:) done their part early on, he'd have owned the defense. Again, like Bob said, he's not dynamic, just effective. Allen Patrick's time at RB may be limited to 3rd down status if Murray can run at all like he did today. Chris Brown looks good, don't get me wrong, but I don't see him any diferrent now than when he played Colorado. He runs the I good, and seems to be able to catch the ball, but doesn't really scream "starter" if ya know what I mean. Not to say he doesn't deserve time... I think he's just as good as Kejuan Jones, Hickson and all of those other guys we had the last few years.

Defense? Exactly. Started out soooo good, they closed in on the running game, they played tight on the receivers, then BAM!!! It's the Orange Bowl (game which we don't normally speak of) all over again. That's not a good thing when an opposing offense can steal your momentum, people. Good thing is, they looked hella better than the mess that played UAB, Washington and at Oregon in 2006. Basically to me, that means we'll be alright defensively once Stoops works with them in the off-season.

Newbomb Turk
4/7/2007, 07:38 PM
agree on the QB's.

injuries - we'll be fine come August. Hope Reynonds can play.

agree on the safeties.

TE's - we keep asking for the TE's to get involved in the offense, but the bottom line is that they don't.

Octavian
4/7/2007, 07:45 PM
TE's - we keep asking for the TE's to get involved in the offense, but the bottom line is that they don't.

I know...and that just doesn't make any sense to me. JJF is a solid veteran and Gresham is a freak.

KW just has to find a way to get them the ball IMO.

Octavian
4/7/2007, 07:47 PM
Chris Brown looks good, don't get me wrong, but I don't see him any diferrent now than when he played Colorado. He runs the I good, and seems to be able to catch the ball, but doesn't really scream "starter" if ya know what I mean. Not to say he doesn't deserve time... I think he's just as good as Kejuan Jones, Hickson and all of those other guys we had the last few years.

yeah, but he's probably good enough to start at many other places....we're just loaded at RB right now.

he's definitely good in short yardage situations (but so is AP) and I think he'll continue to get playing time and he'll make some contributions in '07.

Shneeg11
4/7/2007, 08:20 PM
As I have said all along, Sam Bradford will be the starter. And I know that nobody wants to hear this, and may disagree, but its a two man race between Bradford and Halzle. The scrimmage today showed them receiving most of the snaps, and the coaches have ruled Nichol out thus far from what i hear about the offensive meetings.

Newbomb Turk
4/7/2007, 08:24 PM
As I have said all along, Sam Bradford will be the starter. And I know that nobody wants to hear this, and may disagree, but its a two man race between Bradford and Halzle. The scrimmage today showed them receiving most of the snaps, and the coaches have ruled Nichol out thus far from what i hear about the offensive meetings.

from what I saw today, I think Nichol has a lot of upside. He's just inexperienced.

rainiersooner
4/7/2007, 09:40 PM
and the coaches have ruled Nichol out thus far from what i hear about the offensive meetings.

What does that mean? Meetings amongst coaches? Or meeting amongst the offensive players - as in he doesn't attend QB meetings? I didn't see the game, so I don't have an opinion...it takes a rare talent to start as a freshman, so Bradfrod or Halzle would make sense though.

jk the sooner fan
4/7/2007, 09:58 PM
i wouldnt call what bradford did today "great".....nowhere close

i think with brown and murray in the backfield, Allen Patrick is gonna get alot of bench time

SoonerRoads
4/7/2007, 10:10 PM
QB - unless something unexpected happens, it looks like the coaches have the most confidence in Bradford - and he's been the most consistent throughout the spring. I still think KN has a huge upside and a lot of potential...but if the first game was next week, Sam would start.

Injuries - we need to get healthy: Malcolm, Loadholt, Madu, C. Bennett, McCoy, Reynolds, and now Eldridge (who'd I miss?) Those are several starters on both sides of the ball...and it's hard to gauge how good we are going to be with that many on the sidelines. It'd be nice to have them all healthy for the start of fall ball and get some cohesiveness by the time the Canes come to Norman.

Safeties - what's up?? Can someone, anyone...play safety for us so we can leave Reggie at CB? Please. If we can get some consistent play at safety we'll be a rock solid secondary.

TE's - hopefully we just weren't showing anything today because it was on TV....b/c I hope we actually work the TE into the game plans this year instead of just talking about it. We're very talented here and to not use our big targets for our young QBs would be a waste. That's on KW.

RB's - Yeah, so Murray is kinda good. Wonder if USC still thinks he'd make a better cornerback? :D He hasn't played in a game yet, but...wow. Then add AP, Brown, Gute, and Madu...and we're the deepest we've been at RB since the Wishbone days. If our OL is as good as billed (and they played well today without Loadholt), we're gonna be tough.

I should've payed more attention to the DE's and the LB's but it's tough without replay...I'll watch it when it comes on again tonight at 8:00.

We've still got some question marks...but I think overall we're further along right now at this point in the spring than we were in either of the past two seasons.

I agree totally with everything you said. But we have to find deep cover safetys. And LB looked spradic though Mike Reed is a huge bright spot if he can learn to pick up on the calls and coverages by the Fall. Murray is going to be something special and could this wind up being Oklahoma's version of thunder(AP) and lightning(Murray)? And then you have to face Chris Brown who also looked really great today.....geez, I am pretty excited about our chances and thank God we seem to be deep in the O-Line as well. It all looks good. Anyone know how Brody Eldridge is? Hope he is o.k.

jk the sooner fan
4/7/2007, 10:13 PM
apparently, the coaches spent some time with the San Diego Chargers and Kansas City Chiefs to see how they utilize their tight ends...and it was said in an interview that alot of passes have been thrown their way during the closed practices

the qb's ran a pretty limited offense today

josh09
4/7/2007, 10:15 PM

definately farther along than the past 2 years, and thats a good sign showing where we ended last year.

SoonerLB
4/7/2007, 10:17 PM
I just plain liked what I saw at every position today, the main thing being depth everywhere, or at least more than we have had. As to the TE's getting involved, maybe now that we have a more dependable line, they will get a chance to catch some passes instead of blocking all the time.

Shneeg11
4/7/2007, 10:18 PM
What does that mean? Meetings amongst coaches? Or meeting amongst the offensive players - as in he doesn't attend QB meetings? I didn't see the game, so I don't have an opinion...it takes a rare talent to start as a freshman, so Bradfrod or Halzle would make sense though.

My bad, he does attend them, but for now, the coaches see it as a battle between Bradford and Halzle, we will see how that holds up come the fall, but for now that is the word.

All_Day_28
4/7/2007, 10:25 PM
Demarco Murray>>>>>>>>>>>>

william_brasky
4/7/2007, 10:31 PM
Does our D suck?

goingoneight
4/7/2007, 10:38 PM
yeah, but he's probably good enough to start at many other places....we're just loaded at RB right now.

he's definitely good in short yardage situations (but so is AP) and I think he'll continue to get playing time and he'll make some contributions in '07.

you're absolutely right. He's a good kid and a hard worker, and does fairly well considering his jump right onto the big stage. Did anyone see the guns on that guy today??? Damn he's beefed up.

[obligatory "Dumb and Dumber" quote] Yeah... he must work out. [/obligatory "Dumb and Dumber" quote]

Newbomb Turk
4/7/2007, 10:41 PM
apparently, the coaches spent some time with the San Diego Chargers and Kansas City Chiefs to see how they utilize their tight ends...and it was said in an interview that alot of passes have been thrown their way during the closed practices

Not disputing what you're saying, but I'll believe it when I see it. I hope you're right though.

However, considering we're inexperienced at QB you have to wonder how many passes we throw.

We have some really good talent at WR, TE, and Murray can supposedly catch the ball. Just how many balls can these guys catch?

insuranceman_22
4/7/2007, 11:20 PM
We certainly looked better all-around from the previous two years. By all accounts, QB should be our weakness on the offense this year. The difference between now and the last two years is the developed WR corps, several stand-out TE's and most importantly the Strength and Depth of the offensive line. Bradford looks to be in the lead, but I'll trust Bob & Co. to make the call when their ready on that. What I really liked was two deep all over the field without much, or even any, drop off in play. We may not be the offensive juggernaut, but we'll be pretty damned solid I think.

Defensively - well let's say the talent is certainly there. If they can gel before Miami then this could be an exceptional year. It took until after the fiasco against the green turds in the NW for us to gel last year, if it happens early this year, we'll be tough. DL is going to be good, LB and DE will be freakishly athletic & Reed looks like he'll be an absolute Hammer in the middle. Hope Reynolds can get & STAY healthy this year to boot. Main concern is stopping the deep pass.........of course I've decided to live with that concern since I've had for several years now.

oklaclarinet
4/8/2007, 12:19 AM
The thing I noticed about the QBs was that with Halzle, he had some really nice plays mixed in with some really bad plays. Bradford was more consistent, and he did a nice job of reading defenses and waiting for the right play to open up.

SoonerRoads
4/8/2007, 09:53 AM
The thing I noticed about the QBs was that with Halzle, he had some really nice plays mixed in with some really bad plays. Bradford was more consistent, and he did a nice job of reading defenses and waiting for the right play to open up.

All true. Bradford "managed" the game, which is what I think they are looking for. Halzle may never play again except in "clean up" in a rout, if then. I expect he will be second team the rest of the time he is at OU.

Just my take.

Collier11
4/8/2007, 10:07 AM
Halzle will not play, he is too slow in his reads and throws into coverage too much!

tulsaoilerfan
4/8/2007, 10:13 AM
All true. Bradford "managed" the game, which is what I think they are looking for. Halzle may never play again except in "clean up" in a rout, if then. I expect he will be second team the rest of the time he is at OU.

Just my take.

I expect Nichol to be the second teamer and Bradford to start, and i agree that Halzle may not play except mop up duty