PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

soonerbrat
4/7/2007, 02:44 PM
Last week I took my dad's 4 month old rottweiler puppy to the dog park. Right after we arrived, we were walking across the parking lot when 2 dogs jumped out of the back of of a moving pickup and rushed my puppy. The biggest one was a pit bull, not sure about the other one. The pit bull was growling and snarling and had his mouth around my dog's neck and then he pinned him to the ground. the smaller dog was trying to join in, but mostly barking and growling. I yanked my dog by his leash, and was kicking and punching at the pit bull, but I couldn't get my dog away..The driver of the truck stopped, pulled his dogs away and put them into the cab of the pickup..he tried to tell me his dogs just wanted to sniff my dog0 then he drove away. A few minutes later he drove back by, asked if we were OK and apologized.

I got his license plate number and called animal control. I had to make a written statement before they'd do anything. They called this morning and gave me 3 choices.

1. I can make a formal vicious dog complaint. Animal control will impound the dog, we will go to court and if the judge decides that the dog is vicious, it will be put to sleep.

2. I can make a complaint for the guy not having the dogs properly confined and he will get a fine and animal control will let him know he's damn lucky that I didn't have his dog impounded.

3. I can drop the whole thing, but animal control will still contact the guy and let him know he's damn lucky that I didn't have his dog impounded.

I don't want the guy's pet to be deadified, but what if it attacks someone else? Or a little kid? and WTF was the guy doing with 2 agressive dogs at a dog park anyway?

side note: My next door neighbor has 3 pit bulls and they are really sweeties. He had the youngest one out one day, and he was playing and put his mouth on someone...that someone made a vicious dog complaint and the dog was impounded and spent 8 weeks in doggie jail. They had to go to court, and the dog was found not to be vicious...the kid's attorney said about 99% of dogs that are impounded like that are put down - so he was lucky. So probably if I make a formal complaint, that dog will be destroyed.

So what would you do?

PhxSooner
4/7/2007, 02:50 PM
Would option two scare the guy? Because that would hurt him in his pocketbook, and let him know that he's lucky the dogs aren't in the pound.

4/7/2007, 02:52 PM
4. http://img.timeinc.net/quad/content/images/1205/o/QU1205_tec17.jpg

Mongo
4/7/2007, 02:55 PM

proud gonzo
4/7/2007, 02:58 PM
i'd go for #2. I wouldn't want to be responsible for the dogs getting put down. I think ultimately, bad doggie behavior is the owner's fault. I don't think there's such a thing as a dog that's agressive just on its own--it's always linked to how it's treated, its living conditions, and its training.

I'd hate for the dogs to be punished for something that's the owner's fault, but i guess you also have to consider the odds that the owner will actually be motivated to change the dogs' behavior. I guess the fact that he came back, asked if you were ok, and apologized does give me some hope. I'd give them another chance.

If it was me, though, I'd tell him face to face the choices you were given and why you made your decision. and make sure he knows he probably won't get another second chance.

LilSooner
4/7/2007, 03:05 PM
First off is your puppy ok?

If so definitely number 2. I would never want to be the reason for someone's dog being put down, but I couldn't bear the thought of letting this go and someone else's child or dog to be killed or injured.

soonerbrat
4/7/2007, 03:07 PM
Would option two scare the guy? Because that would hurt him in his pocketbook, and let him know that he's lucky the dogs aren't in the pound.

He seemed pretty contrite. I told him I was planning on making a complaint. I'm kind of leaning toward # 2 option, but I'd like to know more about the guy..all I have is his license plate number.

soonerbrat
4/7/2007, 03:08 PM
yes, my puppy is fine..he was a bit traumatized and had a lot of slobber on his neck, but he seems to be fine now.

Mongo
4/7/2007, 03:09 PM
Yall would not be responsible for putting the dog to sleep. The owner is. He let a dog with aggressive behavior get loose.

soonerbrat
4/7/2007, 03:11 PM
Yall would not be responsible for putting the dog to sleep. The owner is. He let a dog with aggressive behavior get loose.

true. and i WAS scared not only for my dog but for myself...it took me about 2 hours to calm down. it probably scared me more than my dog.

Rogue
4/7/2007, 03:13 PM
First of all, you are not responsible for the outcome. You are merely reporting what happened. The responsibility lies with the owner and the authorities.

I'm a huge dog lover but I don't trust pit bulls as a breed. They can be socialized in a loving home for years and just "SNAP" and go nuts. I have seen this many times (5 or 6 where I knew the owners and dogs personally).
Some where they end up hurting or killing a kid in the family or neighborhood, others where they just get increasingly aggressive and can't be controlled. It isn't the dogs' fault, but they are bred to be impulsive and aggressive. Nature > Nurture in this case.

Keep an eye on your neighbor's pits that you think are "sweeties." I hope they stay that way but my anecdotal evidence advises caution and avoidance.

Mongo
4/7/2007, 03:13 PM
true. and i WAS scared not only for my dog but for myself...it took me about 2 hours to calm down. it probably scared me more than my dog.

I bet, glad you are safe.

Do a favor for the community, pick #1, and protect others from an idiot owner and a dog with a proven tendency to attck.

LilSooner
4/7/2007, 03:14 PM
yes, my puppy is fine..he was a bit traumatized and had a lot of slobber on his neck, but he seems to be fine now.

I'm glad that your puppy is ok. I think they should put that owner to sleep, I think that would solve alot of problems.

soonerbrat
4/7/2007, 03:14 PM
First of all, you are not responsible for the outcome. You are merely reporting what happened. The responsibility lies with the owner and the authorities.

I'm a huge dog lover but I don't trust pit bulls as a breed. They can be socialized in a loving home for years and just "SNAP" and go nuts. I have seen this many times (5 or 6 where I knew the owners and dogs personally).
Some where they end up hurting or killing a kid in the family or neighborhood, others where they just get increasingly aggressive and can't be controlled. It isn't the dogs' fault, but they are bred to be impulsive and aggressive. Nature > Nurture in this case.

Keep an eye on your neighbor's pits that you think are "sweeties." I hope they stay that way but my anecdotal evidence advises caution and avoidance.

he pretty much keeps them inside..I never even hear them barking or anything...my HOA has banned pitbulls so they may not even be there anymore - i haven't seen or heard them in months

soonerbrat
4/7/2007, 03:17 PM
I'm glad that your puppy is ok. I think they should put that owner to sleep, I think that would solve alot of problems.

I'm glad he's OK too...I know rotties have kind of a bad reputation as well...this is our third and they've all been well socialized and friendly...part of the reason I was taking him out there, so he could socialize while he's still young.

Rogue
4/7/2007, 03:19 PM
Lots of pit-owners are good people who don't believe the alarmists like me that just don't trust those dogs' genetics. Many love their dog, love the breed (usually call them American Staffordshire Terriers instead of PitBulls), and think they make great pets. Others, like those who continue to breed for aggression, persistence, and impulsivity as well as those who fight these dogs, usually to the death, are the root problem.

Way to treat "man's best friend."

olevetonahill
4/7/2007, 03:23 PM
I agree with #1
why take a chance , the mutts have already proven they are untrustworthy .
I to have seen "sweety" type Pits that just snap . two seconds after that they are back to being all lovable and stuff. I wouldnt trust one at all .

Rogue
4/7/2007, 03:23 PM
I'm glad he's OK too...I know rotties have kind of a bad reputation as well...this is our third and they've all been well socialized and friendly...part of the reason I was taking him out there, so he could socialize while he's still young.

Rotties only have a bad reputation here because of ill-advised breeding and dumb owners. Many, maybe most, lines of Rotties are very intelligent, loyal, and trainable dogs that excel in things like Schutzhund and being good family pets. Others that are inbred too much by dumbasses end up with bad joints and poor dispositions. I think that even these lines can usually be socialized and trained to be good dogs.

I'm all riled up now and probably need to go have a beer.

I don't have exact advice about your situation but maybe the way to think about it is what you want to happen to you and your pup next time you go to the dog park and might run into this d00d.

soonerbrat
4/7/2007, 03:25 PM
mmm...beer..what a great idea!!

Mongo
4/7/2007, 03:33 PM
get a pet porkypine to walk with you:D
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o259/hobbs70/pit.jpg

OUHOMER
4/7/2007, 03:34 PM
I have a friend who had a situation like yours. Pit got a hold of his dog and tore his dog up. he went with option Number 2 when the pit owner agreed to pay vet bill. A few weeks later, A lady was walking her little dog down the street, same pit got out killed the dog, and hurt they lady. if a passerby had not stopped and hit the pit with a baseball bat, he may have killed the lady.

Umm yea its your choice

4/7/2007, 03:35 PM
Those photos make me laugh every time.

It isn't like the idiot didn't keep coming back for more.

God bless 'em.

Suerreal
4/7/2007, 03:39 PM
#1.

The dog will be impounded and observed. An investigation will determine if the dog is likely to do this again. If so, because of a combination of inherent aggressive traits and an irresponsible owner, the dog should be put down to prevent an attack with a more tragic outcome than the attack on your dog.

If the investigation shows this to have been a freak occurrence, the dog can be released back to a responsible owner. While I don't think that will happen :( if the attacking dog is put down it is NOT your fault; it is the fault of the owner who allowed him to run loose at the dog park.

- Sue

85Sooner
4/7/2007, 03:44 PM
You have a responsibility to pursue option 1. Any other decision would be wrong. you think you would feel bad about the dogs being put down think how you will feel if those dogs get out again and kill a kid. Just sayin

william_brasky
4/7/2007, 04:36 PM

Sooner24
4/7/2007, 05:44 PM

ChickSoonerFan
4/7/2007, 05:56 PM
I don't think you should feel bad about it. My friend's dog was killed in their own back yard by a neighbor's pit bull that jumped the fence. What if her daughters had been in the back yard? And this is not just about it being a pit bull, any dog that attacks should be reported.

I can see leaning toward #2 but I wouldn't feel bad about chosing #1. If the dog has had prior complaints, that will probably surface during the investigation and be handled.

Glad your puppy is okie dokie, poor little thing, trying to fight off the big bullies.

nmsoonergirl
4/7/2007, 06:18 PM
#1, unfortunately. I LOVE dogs, but I hate taking care of mauled children. Option one means the dog will be evaluated by a professional to determine if it a dangerous animal. Option 2 means if the dog IS dangerous, the next time the dog attacks the outcome might not be as good.

Glad your dog is okay!

soonerboomer93
4/7/2007, 07:41 PM
Right after we arrived, we were walking across the parking lot when 2 dogs jumped out of the back of of a moving pickup and rushed my puppy. The biggest one was a pit bull, not sure about the other one. The pit bull was growling and snarling and had his mouth around my dog's neck and then he pinned him to the ground. the smaller dog was trying to join in, but mostly barking and growling. I yanked my dog by his leash, and was kicking and punching at the pit bull, but I couldn't get my dog away..The driver of the truck stopped, pulled his dogs away and put them into the cab of the pickup..

After reading what happened, unfortunately for now I think #1 is your only option. They didn't hurt your dog thankfully, but it sounded like a lot more then just wanting to sniff your dog.

william_brasky
4/7/2007, 07:52 PM
Did the dog actually bite your dog?

Vaevictis
4/7/2007, 08:08 PM
I would just point out that the pit bull had its jaws around your dog's throat. If the pit bull wanted your dog dead, it would be dead. That was a dominance thing on the pit bull's part more than an attack thing.

I'd go with #2. Based on the fact that the pit bull chose not to kill your dog, I believe that the pit bull probably isn't a vicious dog. But the owner needs a wake-up call, and #2 should deliver it.

soonerbrat
4/7/2007, 08:13 PM
I would just point out that the pit bull had its jaws around your dog's throat. If the pit bull wanted your dog dead, it would be dead. That was a dominance thing on the pit bull's part more than an attack thing.

I'd go with #2. Based on the fact that the pit bull chose not to kill your dog, I believe that the pit bull probably isn't a vicious dog. But the owner needs a wake-up call, and #2 should deliver it.

he was trying to shake my dog, but my screaming, kicking and punching pretty much stopped it. the dog jumped out of a moving car to come at us..I think he was vicious.

OUHOMER
4/7/2007, 08:29 PM
Than you only have 1 choice and that is #1

Mongo
4/7/2007, 08:31 PM

Wow Cesar, you're way off on that one.

Vaevictis
4/7/2007, 08:49 PM
he was trying to shake my dog, but my screaming, kicking and punching pretty much stopped it. the dog jumped out of a moving car to come at us..I think he was vicious.

That's different from your initial description of grabbing your dog by the neck and pinning him to the ground. I've seen the pinning behavior in a pit bull before, and that's a dominance thing -- "I could kill you, but I won't." -- which is different from the grabbing and shaking behavior.

The fact that the dog jumped out of a moving car is not relevant to the question of viciousness. Some animals go into a fixation mode and don't pay attention to anything else. I've known golden retrievers that would jump out of moving cars to chase a ball thrown by someone on the side of the road.

soonerbrat
4/7/2007, 09:54 PM
yes and I yanked my dog away twice and kicked and punched the other dog continuously....he kept coming at us until his owner got him under control..the whole thing took less than a minute

jk the sooner fan
4/7/2007, 10:08 PM
i agree with mongo - #1