PDA

View Full Version : I Need Some Book Recommendations From You Hillbillies

Rogue
4/7/2007, 02:14 PM
I have a gift card from Barnes and Noble and need some good book recommendations. I read lots of professional journals and stuff so I like easy readin' fiction for my leisure reading.

So, I don't dig sci-fi or horror much; I do like classics though.

Any recommendations from the SO?

Rogue
4/7/2007, 02:16 PM
edit: wrong thread

royalfan5
4/7/2007, 02:18 PM
I recommend Boomsday by Christopher Buckley

soonerbrat
4/7/2007, 02:24 PM
Love Monkey is really funny

Naked, by David Sedaris is really funny

She's Come Undone is kinda interesting and there's another book by the same author that is pretty good too

GottaHavePride
4/7/2007, 02:57 PM
Carl Hiaasen writes some pretty damn funny stuff, if you don't mind the heavy pro-environmetalist slant in your books. (He's from Florida, so he's got a bit of pro-swamp pro-Everglades stuff running through his books. Doesn't stop them from being funny as hell, though.)

Rogue
4/7/2007, 03:01 PM
Nice, I'll check these out.

You're on the right track. I love satirists like Mark Twain and Vonnegut.

royalfan5
4/7/2007, 03:09 PM

Then you'll like Christopher Buckley's work too.

proud gonzo
4/7/2007, 03:10 PM
Classics? Well, with classics I tend to go either for scifi/Fantasy (I, Robot by Asimov, Slaughterhouse Five by Vonnegut, Fahrenheit 451 by Bradbury, The Lord of the Rings by Tolkien) or for semi-girly stuff (Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell)

I also recommend The Great Gatsby but that's not everyone's taste. And one of my absolute favorites is East of Eden by Steinbeck.

The Hot Zone by Richard Preston is also awesome, but it's non-fiction.

I also recommend The Pleasure of My Company by Steve Martin. It's short and amusing.

If you're into short stories, check out The Golden Apples of the Sun by Ray Bradbury. It's a collectin of his short stories--all pretty short, easy reads. Pretty cool stuff.

proud gonzo
4/7/2007, 03:10 PM
oh wait, i meant "pfff, like you can read :rolleyes: "

soonerbrat
4/7/2007, 03:13 PM
i loved The Hot Zone

but i'm a microbiology nerd like that.

SoonerGirl06
4/7/2007, 03:25 PM
Classics? Well, with classics I tend to go either for scifi/Fantasy (I, Robot by Asimov, Slaughterhouse Five by Vonnegut, Fahrenheit 451 by Bradbury, The Lord of the Rings by Tolkien) or for semi-girly stuff (Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell)

I also recommend The Great Gatsby but that's not everyone's taste. And one of my absolute favorites is East of Eden by Steinbeck.

The Hot Zone by Richard Preston is also awesome, but it's non-fiction.

I also recommend The Pleasure of My Company by Steve Martin. It's short and amusing.

If you're into short stories, check out The Golden Apples of the Sun by Ray Bradbury. It's a collectin of his short stories--all pretty short, easy reads. Pretty cool stuff.

Great recommendations.

I'd include To Kill A Mockingbird if you haven't read it already.

Rogue
4/7/2007, 03:31 PM
(I, Robot by Asimov, Slaughterhouse Five by Vonnegut, Fahrenheit 451 by Bradbury, The Lord of the Rings by Tolkien) Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell)

The Great Gatsby
East of Eden by Steinbeck.

The Pleasure of My Company by Steve Martin.

If you're into short stories,

OK, we have similar tastes in books. I've read most of those you listed and I'll check out the others.

'The Pleasure Of My Company' was very good I thought. And Mrs. Rogue named 2 of our dogs "Fitz" and "Zelda" so she'll appreciate your F. Scott Fitzgerald recommendation.

Most of those I can get with my used bookstore credits, so I'm really looking for new, rare, or first edition books to buy at B&N.

Guess I'll hafta read some of Doleo's music reviews too and pay special attention to BSG and BRJ's comments cause they are my music recommenders. That reminds me, there's a Hendrix page in one of the recent (WAYLT?) threads that recommended a great album in addition to Electric Ladyland. I mention it in case someone can save me some searching.

I don't know when it happened, but I'm really a nerd these days. Hanging out at B&N is a great day for me.

Thanks for the recommends from the group.

GottaHavePride
4/7/2007, 03:32 PM

You might like Terry Pratchett, then. Some people call him the Douglas Adams of the fantasy genre. There's a lot of satirical elements to his books, but he leans farther into actual fantasy than Vonnegut leaned into sci-fi (speaking of Sirens of Titan and Cat's Cradle, in particular) so it may not totally be your cup of tea.

4/7/2007, 03:36 PM
"Nobody's Fool"

Richard Russo

Man, what a terrific novel.

Rogue
4/7/2007, 03:39 PM
You might like Terry Pratchett, then. Some people call him the Douglas Adams of the fantasy genre. There's a lot of satirical elements to his books, but he leans farther into actual fantasy than Vonnegut leaned into sci-fi (speaking of Sirens of Titan and Cat's Cradle, in particular) so it may not totally be your cup of tea.

I have fondled a few of his books at the store and wondered if I'd like 'em. You might have nudged me just enough to take one to the counter today. ;)

I'm all done with Augusten Burroughs stuff, except I haven't read Sellevision yet. I like his neurotic self-indulgent style sometimes but I'm not completely smitten.

And yes PG, I like me some short stories, but I don't read plays.

Mrs. Rogue, my usual book recommender, is out of town. She teaches English Lit classes at a Comm. College and a teachers' college here.

One of the best books I read recently was "I Am Charlotee Simmons" by Tom Wolfe. One of those books that took over all of my free minutes for awhile. I couldn't wait to sit down for a couple hours and read a few chapters.

royalfan5
4/7/2007, 03:41 PM
I have fondled a few of his books at the store and wondered if I'd like 'em. You might have nudged me just enough to take one to the counter today. ;)

I'm all done with Augusten Burroughs stuff, except I haven't read Sellevision yet. I like his neurotic self-indulgent style sometimes but I'm not completely smitten.

And yes PG, I did me some short stories, but I don't read plays.

Mrs. Rogue, my usual book recommender, is out of town. She teaches English Lit classes at a Comm. College and a teachers' college here.

One of the best books I read recently was "I Am Charlotee Simmons" by Tom Wolfe. One of those books that took over all of my free minutes for awhile. I couldn't wait to sit down for a couple hours and read a few chapters.
Tom Wolfe loves Christopher Buckley. Just Sayin.

Rogue
4/7/2007, 03:46 PM
You might like Terry Pratchett, then. Some people call him the Douglas Adams of the fantasy genre.

Anyone besides me surprised at how bad the "Hitchhiker's Guide.." movie succed? I did have a few laugh-out-loud moments. I think if you hadn't read the book and/or didn't like it your whole experience would be summed up as "WTF?!"

soonerbrat
4/7/2007, 03:54 PM
Clicka (http://www.amazon.com/Good-Recent-Fiction/lm/1LV7LDXQD6IVS)

Jerk
4/7/2007, 04:02 PM
Lyman's Reloading Manual, 48th addition

Rogue
4/7/2007, 04:12 PM
Lyman's Reloading Manual, 48th addition

:texan:

Frozen Sooner
4/7/2007, 04:15 PM
I'll second, third, and fourth Pratchett. A good intro to his stuff is Good Omens, which he co-wrote with Neil Gaiman.

proud gonzo
4/7/2007, 04:18 PM
actually i loved the movie (Hitchhiker's guide), and I hadn't read the book. but of course I am incredibly odd.

I think you'd like Terry Pratchett also. It's fantasy, but it's pretty easy to look past the fantasy-type setting and see the satire.

Oh, and I'd also recommend Knight Life by Peter David. The story, basically, is that that King Arthur turns up in modern day NYC and runs for mayor. There are some King Arthur legend and fantasy aspects, but it's hilarious. Similar to Pratchett humor, but but less fantasy.

GottaHavePride
4/7/2007, 04:20 PM
Anyone besides me surprised at how bad the "Hitchhiker's Guide.." movie succed? I did have a few laugh-out-loud moments. I think if you hadn't read the book and/or didn't like it your whole experience would be summed up as "WTF?!"

I thought the movie was great, but a lot of people don't get how Douglas Adams worked. the thing about Hitchiker's Guide is that the book was not the original incarnation of the story - it started as a serial radio show. Every time he turned it into a new version (books, the old sucky movie, the new movie, etc.) the story changed. The main characters and most of the big plot elements are in all the versions, but each time they're in a different order and how you get from point A to point B changes.

So, a lot of people thought the movie sucked because they changed stuff from how it was in the book. The key, though, was that they changed stuff from the book that wouldn't have made any sense onscreen. They changed stuff to make it work better as a movie. So anyway, I liked the movie, and I'm not sure why I haven't bought a copy yet. I'm betting the people that didn't like the movie were the hardcore fans of the books, but people unfamiliar with Douglas Adams' work probably enjoyed the movie just fine.

Frozen Sooner
4/7/2007, 04:32 PM
actually i loved the movie (Hitchhiker's guide), and I hadn't read the book. but of course I am incredibly odd.

I think you'd like Terry Pratchett also. It's fantasy, but it's pretty easy to look past the fantasy-type setting and see the satire.

Oh, and I'd also recommend Knight Life by Peter David. The story, basically, is that that King Arthur turns up in modern day NYC and runs for mayor. There are some King Arthur legend and fantasy aspects, but it's hilarious. Similar to Pratchett humor, but but less fantasy.

PAD is also responsible for one of the greatest runs on a comic of all time-he wrote Incredible Hulk for a long time and it's kind of considered the definitive work on the character. He's currently writing one of the approximately 800 Spider-man books.

I'll have to check out Knight Life. His other series of books left me kind of tepid.

And I liked the H2G2 movie as well. Own it on BD. :)

proud gonzo
4/7/2007, 04:42 PM
I was always a fan of Peter David's star trek books, too :O :D

Frozen Sooner
4/7/2007, 04:52 PM
I wansn't talking about those...;)

The only title I remember from the series is Woad to Wuin.

crawfish
4/7/2007, 04:53 PM
I just finished "A Wild Sheep Chase" (http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Sheep-Chase-Novel/dp/037571894X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-5498749-0486304?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175982641&sr=1-1) by Haruki Murakami. It's very offbeat, but a good read. No, it's not about Saturday night in Stillwater.

I'm currently reading the newest Harry Dresden book, "White Knight" (http://www.amazon.com/White-Night-Dresden-Files-Book/dp/0451461401/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-5498749-0486304?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175982922&sr=1-1) by Jim Butcher. This series is great, fun, light reading - a mixture of fantasy, horror and detective novel. It's been made into a (mediocre) series on the Sci-Fi channel. Start with the first one, "Storm Front" (http://www.amazon.com/Storm-Front-Dresden-Files-Book/dp/0451457811/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-5498749-0486304?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175982948&sr=1-1), and you won't regret it. Have I mentioned that Butcher is an OU grad? :)

Jeopardude
4/7/2007, 05:35 PM
If "easy readin' fiction" is what you want, I recommend George Pelecanos. His crime books are fun cool reads. All are fine, but my fave is The Sweet Forever.

Rogue
4/7/2007, 05:43 PM
Thanks. This is a good list. I'm going in awhile. Any last minute "don't miss" recommendations?

Rogue
4/7/2007, 10:26 PM
From the "be careful of what you ask for" files...I spent way over my gift card, bought a book for a grade school (TN ranks 49th in literacy and where I work temporarily, WV, ranks 49th in per capita income), a couple of books on CD for the drive to WV, and so many of the recommendations on here that I don't know where to start. Tao Te Ching and a management book The Secret on audio. The audio version of To Kill A Mockingbird was like $52. I'll look for a used paperback if Mrs. Rogue doesn't have it somewhere.

Jim Butcher looks like a more sophisticated series related to my favorite cheesy vampire books by Laurel Hamilton. I read the first chapter of Storm Front.

Terry Prtachett, I bought the co-authored book and it took two B&N clerks about 20 minutes to help figure out which order the Discworld books were in (we ended up guessing).

Christopher Buckley, saving him for another day. Boomsday wasn't there, but "Little Green Men" looked interesting.

A couple hours and a good caramel coffee drink later, I'm set for awhile and probably hooked on a couple new book series.

Thanks for the good recommendations.

PS: Jerk you may smile to learn that I found my 15 round 9mm clip in Mrs. Rogue's glove compartment. I've been looking for it for months. :D

Hatfield
4/7/2007, 10:31 PM
anything by bill bryson....but especially a walk in the woods.

katz is one of the greatest characters ever.

proud gonzo
4/7/2007, 10:44 PM
speaking of the tao te ching, the tao of pooh is awesome :D

Chuck Bao
4/7/2007, 11:42 PM
My favorite American novel is "The man who fell in love with the moon" by Tom Spanbauer.

Frozen Sooner
4/8/2007, 12:52 AM
The Colour of Magic is the first Discworld book, but it's kind of dated now. Pratchett is much more polished a writer now. Doesn't really matter-you can generally pick up the continuity pretty much anywhere you jump in.

Chuck Bao
4/8/2007, 01:20 AM
The Colour of Magic is the first Discworld book, but it's kind of dated now. Pratchett is much more polished a writer now. Doesn't really matter-you can generally pick up the continuity pretty much anywhere you jump in.

Thanks. That's good to know. I have 4-5 of his books and I haven't started reading any of them because I have several missing in the proper sequence.

4/8/2007, 09:51 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Risk-Pool-Richard-Russo/dp/0679753834/ref=sr_1_12/102-4527212-3183309?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1176043744&sr=8-12

MamaMia
4/8/2007, 09:51 PM
A book that I accidently just got came in the mail from Barnes and Noble last Thursday. It was highly complimented by my favorite book worm too. He has never missed the mark in a recommendation yet. :)

Its called Purple Hibiscus by: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
The Baltimore Sun says its "One of the best novels to come out of Africa in years." The New York Times, San Fransisco Chronicle and the Washington Post Book World gave it a thumbs up as well.

GottaHavePride
4/8/2007, 11:30 PM
Thanks. That's good to know. I have 4-5 of his books and I haven't started reading any of them because I have several missing in the proper sequence.

Heh. The first one I ever read was The Last Continent, which is probably about the 15th book in his Discworld series, and I don't think he's even hit his polished style in that one yet. Actually, I don't think he really hit his stride until Night Watch - the books before that are still great reads, hilarious, and some of my favorites, but Night Watch was the first one that I remember noticing that Pratchett had actually written a story that could hang by itself against damn near anything else out there, with or without the humor.

proud gonzo
4/8/2007, 11:59 PM
Thud is one of my favorites, too.

Rogue
6/13/2007, 08:37 PM
Mrs. Rogue recommended a memoir (and I groaned) called "The Glass Castle." A really easy read, not too much to think about, and a helluva story. 'Bout a girl raised by crazy people. So, I'll pass along the recommend. Some of you fast readers will prolly read it in one sitting.

proud gonzo
6/13/2007, 08:44 PM
if you're looking for nonfiction, you might also check out They Cage The Animals at Night by Jennings Michael Burch. Easy read, but very good.

olevetonahill
6/13/2007, 08:45 PM
Librarian Is your Friend . Go to the Library and check these dudes and dudettes out be for you buy
YWIA

Rogue
6/13/2007, 08:53 PM
Sorta like music, there are a few here on the SO that have tastes similar to mine (and others that don't but lead me to try new things). But there are some darn sexy librarians OV!

Scott D
6/13/2007, 08:56 PM
so what exactly is your criteria?

Rogue
6/13/2007, 09:04 PM
That's hard to answer because I don't know if I even know. I love satire, more sci-fi than I thought, and just darn good stories. Mark Twain's short stories are some of my all time favorite reading. Best book I've read recently was "I Am Charlotte Simmons." I've been on biography kicks, cheesy vampire kicks, and a Hemingway kick, but I'm mostly over those for now. I guess I mostly like american fiction that's a little edgy. I really want escapism sort of fiction that I don't have to interpret too much. So...whatcha got in that category?

olevetonahill
6/13/2007, 09:05 PM
Sorta like music, there are a few here on the SO that have tastes similar to mine (and others that don't but lead me to try new things). But there are some darn sexy librarians OV!
Glad you brot that up :D
My lil buddy Troy (on his second tour) another Buddy and I were here at the shop drinkin Beer one nite. I look over at Troy and Tell him his Momma is Hot ( libraiian ) My other Buddy here gets to talkin also . Saying Yea shes Hot . Troy is saying You sick bastards :eek: Thats My Momma .
Keith says Oh well shes Hot as hell . I look over to Keith and say what you Talkin about ? Your Momma Hot to :D
Keith said YOU SICK BASTARD :hot: :D :D :D :D :D :D

soonerboy_odanorth
6/13/2007, 09:28 PM
I do like classics though.

Since this is the summer of pirates... If you haven't given them a read since your school years, or maybe never have, Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island and Kidnapped might serve as a reminder as to what made POTC so captivating to audiences of all ages.

You could purchase nice hardbound copies for a serious collection that you might want to pass along to your kids someday....

def_lazer_fc
6/14/2007, 12:22 AM
The Shroud of the Thwacker by Chris Elliot is pretty funny, but you have to like his sense of humor or you're gonna hate the book.

Frozen Sooner
6/14/2007, 03:00 AM
That's hard to answer because I don't know if I even know. I love satire, more sci-fi than I thought, and just darn good stories. Mark Twain's short stories are some of my all time favorite reading. Best book I've read recently was "I Am Charlotte Simmons." I've been on biography kicks, cheesy vampire kicks, and a Hemingway kick, but I'm mostly over those for now. I guess I mostly like american fiction that's a little edgy. I really want escapism sort of fiction that I don't have to interpret too much. So...whatcha got in that category?

Pattern Recognition by William Gibson.

soonerscuba
6/14/2007, 06:26 AM
Christopher Buckley cannot be recommended enough. A Thousand Splended Suns is out as a sophmore effort by Khaled Hosseini.

TUSooner
6/14/2007, 06:43 AM
Here are a couple of series you could easily & happily get hooked on:
Master & Commander (etc) By Patrick O'Brian. As a friend of mine once said: You just want to spend time with these characters.

For some top quality spy yarns, also with great characters and good mix of action and humor: Len Deighton. Start with Berlin Game,Mexico Set, London Match. The next ones are Spy Hook, Spy Line, Spy Sinker, and the Faith, Hope, and Charity. I read them out of order and still enjoyed them a lot - so much that I re-read them in order.

whatsername
6/14/2007, 06:49 AM
Two books that I've read recently that I really enjoyed were The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger and Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill.

TMcGee86
6/14/2007, 01:08 PM
"Flatbellies" by A.B. Hollingsworth

Set in Oklahoma, has a sports theme (golf) and is a great book about coming of age in a small town.

Any (and I mean any) book by John D. MacDonald. He died in 1986 so they are not recent, but you will never find a greater collection of stories from an American author. If you havent read the Travis McGee series you are missing out on probably the most famous and well loved series character ever written in the suspense genre. The first was entitled "The Deep Blue Goodbye."

Rogue
1/15/2008, 09:44 PM
OK, read the last Dresden book in hardback, it was good.

Mrs. Rogue loaned me a memoir called "The Tender Bar" by JR Moehringer. Good read. She also recommended a bad one that I've blocked the name of.
I made it through about 25 pages and put it down for good. Edit: I remember it now..."Don't Let's Go To the Dogs Tonight."

Ijust read Grisham's "The Broker." My first Grisham book and I loved it. I "won" 9 more on Ebay for like $10 that are on the way.

Just starting "Angela's Ashes" and I think I'm going to like it too. So much for escapism fiction.

What are y'all reading?

Edit: PS, Olevet I met a sexy librarian that you'd like the other day. I had to take Mrs. Rogue's books back to the library while she was in the hospital. Nerdy glasses, quiet and intellectual, very helpful. She even waived the late fees out of the kindness of her heart. So I got a library card now.

CatfishSooner
1/15/2008, 09:50 PM
I haven't read the thread so I don't know if anyone has said this yet, but I am currently about to finish reading Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer...very good

misplaced_sooner
1/16/2008, 05:58 AM
Lee Child Novels.

Any of the Jack Reacher novels.

http://www.leechild.com/

TexasLidig8r
1/16/2008, 10:44 AM
I am currently re-reading the Count of Monte Cristo. If you haven't read it, it's worth a go... very different than the latest movie and gives great insight into society in France during the Napoleonic period.

A "girlie" book which was nonetheless an interesting read... The Elegant Gathering of White Snows by Kris Radish.... some insight into the way a woman's heart.. and mind... works.

Rogue
3/3/2008, 07:58 PM
OK, I'm hooked on Grisham. I have several books and I'm still "pacing myself" because I don't want to finish.

Started with "The Broker" - greatness.
Then I read "A Time To Kill" - very solid if a tired and overworked theme
"The Pelican Brief" - best one yet!
Now I'm on "The Chamber" - enjoying it and has some ties to ATTK.

Any of the rest need to be read in a particular order?

soonerbrat
3/3/2008, 08:01 PM
OK, I'm hooked on Grisham. I have several books and I'm still "pacing myself" because I don't want to finish.

I think i've read all of them..my son got "Playing for Pizza" for me for Christmas and it was really good...non-lawyer Grisham.

Curly Bill
3/3/2008, 09:39 PM
Who you people kidding, talking about all this reading, you're all on here too much to do any reading. Trying to make the rest of us think you're all smart and stuff talking about all these books you've read. Pffttttt.

...by the way: I just finished A Certain Curve of Horn by John Frederick Walker. It's about the quest to first discover, then conserve, the Giant Sable Antelope of Angola

...so now who's smart? ;) ;) :D

soonerbrat
3/3/2008, 09:42 PM
you're no daisy. you're no daisy at all.

Curly Bill
3/3/2008, 09:45 PM
you're no daisy. you're no daisy at all.

:(

I's just playin. :D

soonerbrat
3/3/2008, 09:47 PM
:(

I's just playin. :D

me too :D

olevetonahill
3/3/2008, 11:01 PM

Nope just enjoy em
Once youve read em all tho you gots to wait ferever for a New one !

olevetonahill
3/3/2008, 11:03 PM
I think i've read all of them..my son got "Playing for Pizza" for me for Christmas and it was really good...non-lawyer Grisham.
I enjoyed that one a lot also .

Rogue
10/22/2008, 08:26 PM
I'm on the 3rd of the Eragon series...BRISINGR.

Just got the first 4 of Stephen King's 'Dark Tower' series and a Tom Wolfe book I've been wanting...'Man In Full.'