PDA

View Full Version : so my lady and i....

fadada1
4/7/2007, 09:22 AM
are buying a house. put the offer in last night, and the folks accepted it. nice place in a great town (same one i'm living in now). my lady wanted to be in a "village", so we're in the village of fairport. apparently it was ranked as one of the top 100 places to live in the USA. i grew up in the town just south (about 3 minutes away).

anyway, let me ask you hillbillies sumfin. what are your taxes out there... in sooner country??? or wherever you might be....

our taxes are actually on the lower end for the town we'll be in. in rochester, NY suburbia, i would say the average is somewhere around $5800/yr. ours are going to be about $4700 after the STAR discount (whatever the heck that is).

nice thing is, we won't have to do any work to it (in case we need to re-locate in a couple years). the kitchen needs to change colors, but that's easy. great yard for the dog, hot tub included (outside on the patio). they also have a trampoline... i haven't inquired to its status (if it will stay or not). they have kids, so it might go away. dang!!! i really could've hurt myself on that thing!!!

Sooner in Tampa
4/7/2007, 09:27 AM
Congrats dude.

Our taxes here in Fla are $4,000 and my insurance is the same.

Get rid of the trampoline...it will KILL your HO insurance.

fadada1
4/7/2007, 09:36 AM
Congrats dude.

Our taxes here in Fla are $4,000 and my insurance is the same.

Get rid of the trampoline...it will KILL your HO insurance.
i'm sure we will.

so i guess home owner's insurance is slightly more expensive than renter's insurance???;)

Okla-homey
4/7/2007, 11:02 AM
Just a bit of friendly advice. Is this lady your wife? If not, how will the house be titled? If you guys aren't married, you need to be sure you know what you're doing before closing. A lawyer can explain your options and the potential problems of any joint tenancy held by unmarried persons.

If you are married, disregard and carry on.

fadada1
4/7/2007, 11:37 AM
Just a bit of friendly advice. Is this lady your wife? If not, how will the house be titled? If you guys aren't married, you need to be sure you know what you're doing before closing. A lawyer can explain your options and the potential problems of any joint tenancy held by unmarried persons.

If you are married, disregard and carry on.
getting married. she has the hardware already. we'll set the date when we drive by the county courthouse.

4/7/2007, 11:52 AM
Colonel Homey approves of this ceremony, I would imagine.

bluedogok
4/7/2007, 12:05 PM
Our house in Austin is appraised for $125,000 (about 1,300sf built in the mid-70's) and our property taxes are around $3,000. My sisters house in west OKC is appraised around the same amount (around 1,600sf built in the mid-70's) and hers were somewhere in the $700 area. People here like to claim that Oklahoma has an state income tax, well yeah, but really all it does is create the hassle of filling out a form, my overall tax burden was still less in Oklahoma than in Texas.

Okla-homey
4/7/2007, 01:35 PM
getting married. she has the hardware already. we'll set the date when we drive by the county courthouse.

It would be a good idea to do the hitchin' before he closin'.