PDA

View Full Version : Just loaded Firefox as my browser

OUHOMER
4/6/2007, 09:39 PM
Dont think I like it. maybe it just takes time to learn ways:(

PAW
4/6/2007, 10:04 PM
Dont think I like it. maybe it just takes time to learn ways:(

I loaded it up last week. I can't tell much that's different. It supposed to be more stable/secure (or something like that), but I can't tell any difference in performance. Last time I tried to watch the practice vids on Soonersports, I had to switch over to IE to get them to load.

GottaHavePride
4/6/2007, 10:09 PM
There's not much difference in performance until you start customizing Firefox with add-ons. One I have is ForecastFox, so I have constant current temp, forecast, and radar right next to the adress bar. another is CookieCuller, that automatically clears any cookies that I don't specifically tell it to save every time I close the browser window. another is Adblock - you can block just about anything you want on webpages. If you want you can download an Abe Vigoda Status plugin that gives you a constant update as to whether Abe Vigoda is alive or dead. Stuff like that. :D

bluedogok
4/6/2007, 10:20 PM
I started out on Netscape, so IE is backwards to me. I just think much of it is what you are already used to.

TheLurker
4/6/2007, 10:21 PM
Here's computerworld.com's list of 20 must-have Firefox extensions

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9011975&pageNumber=1

PAW
4/6/2007, 10:26 PM
I'll check 'em out, thanks.

RADsooner
4/6/2007, 10:29 PM
firefox is more secure because it doesnt use active X,unlike IE

Widescreen
4/6/2007, 10:59 PM
I use Firefox for everything that doesn't explicitly require IE. We have several web-based tools we use at work that are ActiveX so obviously I don't have a choice there.

yermom
4/6/2007, 11:25 PM
same here Widescreen

Suerreal
4/6/2007, 11:50 PM
I've been using Firefox as my main browser for about 2 years now.

The power is in the extensions - they really add a tremendous amount of functionality.

Of of my favorites allows you to highlight test in a message board reply field and add UBB (same as vB) code tags to make it bold italicized, green, tiny or whatever.

Another big advantage to using an alternate browser is that my husband & I frequent the same boards, and having separate browsers (he uses Opera) keeps our cookies separate as far as read/unread threads.

Occasionally, I'll click a link to a video that I haven't figured out how to get Firefox to play properly, and will have to open an IE window to get it to run.

The biggest advantage of firefox is the increased security.

- Sue

Fraggle145
4/7/2007, 02:48 AM
The real power in my view (that IE stole) is in the tabbed browsing. Ctrl-T. YWIA

yermom
4/7/2007, 08:12 AM
i really like the way you can have a series of tabs as your home page

i'm a tab abuser, i'll have like 30 of them open

PAW
4/7/2007, 09:00 AM
i really like the way you can have a series of tabs as your home page

i'm a tab abuser, i'll have like 30 of them open

OK, I had that with IE7 and loved it. How do yo do it with FF? Novice here, thanks.

RADsooner
4/7/2007, 10:23 AM
OK, I had that with IE7 and loved it. How do yo do it with FF? Novice here, thanks.

ctrl-T

Widescreen
4/7/2007, 10:26 AM
One great firefox extension is IE Tab. It allows you to render the page in IE wrapped in a firefox tab. Extremely convenient for those occasions when a page doesn't look right in firefox. (Some pages aren't tested with anything but IE so they look really bad in firefox). Here's an example:

http://www.carterbloodcare.org/

The page looks WAY better in firefox now than it used to. I guess they've made some changes. But even now if you look at the page in IE, there are differences. For example the menu bar across the top partially overlays the Search box in firefox. And the page's heading text is offset in firefox instead of being centered like it is in IE. Note that this isn't a defect in firefox - it's that IE allows for sloppy HTML coding and many web designers have gotten used to writing crappy HTML/XHTML over the years because IE will put up with it.

OUHOMER
4/7/2007, 10:36 AM

i got it when i went to load a Google tool bar

Getem
4/7/2007, 11:16 AM
My favorite extension is Flashblock. Can't imagine going without it now.

PAW
4/7/2007, 11:19 AM
ctrl-T

That just opens another tab. When I open IE, 5 tabs open with 5 different home pages. That's what I thought he was talking about in FF.

PAW
4/7/2007, 11:21 AM
i got it when i went to load a Google tool bar

?? in the FF add ons or from Google?

proud gonzo
4/7/2007, 01:47 PM
see, this is weird to me because I don't see much difference between IE, Netscape, and Firefox in terms of how you use them. I prefer Firefox, but I can't remember it being strange at first.