PDA

View Full Version : Billy Gillispie leaves with a text message.....

outuba
4/6/2007, 05:25 PM
Here is the link:

The Link (http://www.star-telegram.com/281/story/60131.html)

Teh jorbs beter, LMAO btw g2 Kentucky wh00p n00bs!!!!

Katherine
4/8/2007, 11:55 AM
I think it was crappy the way he left. No one faults him for taking a better job, but he played a lot of people along the way it seems. Arkansas got screwed over really bad in this deal too.

Sooner24
4/8/2007, 01:15 PM
He left A&M in a lot better position then Kelvin left us.

birddog
4/8/2007, 03:57 PM
i thought duke and north carolina were the best jobs in basketball...

tulsaoilerfan
4/8/2007, 05:55 PM
The easy way to stop all these head coaching carousels every year would to make them sit out a year, with no salary, like the athletes have to do when they transfer schools; a contract means absolutely nothing to any of these guys.

OklahomaTuba
4/8/2007, 06:55 PM
Would you want someone telling you that you had to sit out a year with no salary when you got a better opportunity and changed jobs???

tulsaoilerfan
4/8/2007, 09:48 PM
Would you want someone telling you that you had to sit out a year with no salary when you got a better opportunity and changed jobs???

You can't even compare my job, or probably most of us that post on here, to a college coach; i don't go out and recruit kids every season to come to a school to play for me, then bail out when i get a better opportunity. Maybe the NCAA should let the players left behind transfer without penalty if they don't want to play for the new coach, but with the stipulation that they can't follow their old coach to his new job. Unfortunately the NCAA cares more about a kid getting a free cheeseburger from a booster than making coaches honor their contracts. Hell if i was making 1million bucks a year, then got an offer to make 2.5 million but i had to take off a year, i think i could live with that. :D

NorthernIowaSooner
4/8/2007, 09:51 PM
i think its a weak way to leave, do the talks and agree to the job confidentially. go back to a&m and face your players like a man, tell them youre leaving and go back and to a press conference the next day. i respect gillespie but i think this is a pretty crappy way to leave your former players. text message isnt really a personable way to do it

Katherine
4/8/2007, 10:44 PM
i think its a weak way to leave, do the talks and agree to the job confidentially. go back to a&m and face your players like a man, tell them youre leaving and go back and to a press conference the next day. i respect gillespie but i think this is a pretty crappy way to leave your former players. text message isnt really a personable way to do it

Yes! Someone else gets it. I live here in Texas, and have seen this drama unfold for a couple of weeks now. I also heard how Billy G stressed to every one of his players that they're all family, and I think they even did their breaks sometimes with "1-2-3 FAMILY!"...and then this is the way he tells his players he's leaving?

Good luck to him though at UK.

bri
4/9/2007, 12:53 AM
Maybe the NCAA should let the players left behind transfer without penalty if they don't want to play for the new coach, but with the stipulation that they can't follow their old coach to his new job.

Trust us, that's a bad idea.

Signed,
Baylor Men's Basketball

TopDawg
4/9/2007, 10:12 AM

It's a different situation, Tubes, when contracts are involved. I think the poster was essentially saying "the coach signed up for 10 years, if he wants to go somewhere else before 10 years, there should be a penalty...just like there is with players."

I know they must have some wording in there for the coaches, though. I wonder how that's built in. If a school fires a coach early, the school has to buy out the contract. Is there a similar "punishment" for coaches who leave early? I'm sure it's not too heavy-handed since the coach is typically in the driver's seat.

sanantoniosooner
4/9/2007, 10:19 AM
I can't believe the karma police haven't mentioned how they acquired Franchione.

goes around---------------->comes around?

FaninAma
4/9/2007, 12:06 PM

No but college athletes shouldn't have to sit out a year, either.

utex74
4/9/2007, 09:26 PM
It's a different situation, Tubes, when contracts are involved. I think the poster was essentially saying "the coach signed up for 10 years, if he wants to go somewhere else before 10 years, there should be a penalty...just like there is with players."

One interesting idea would be to permit all players a coach recruited to transfer with no penalty if they wanted, just like the coach that recruited them is. That would shake things up.

As for the aggies, karma is a bitch. Franchione tooled the Alabama players much worse.

Ardmore_Sooner
4/9/2007, 09:30 PM
The easy way to stop all these head coaching carousels every year would to make them sit out a year, with no salary, like the athletes have to do when they transfer schools; a contract means absolutely nothing to any of these guys.

So what about the current coach there? Would both teams just play without a coach?

tulsaoilerfan
4/9/2007, 09:48 PM
So what about the current coach there? Would both teams just play without a coach?
You just had to bring that up, didn't ya?:D College coaches are so far removed from the real world it's not even funny; you sign a huge deal; if you get fired, you get a buy out, so that's a win. If another college offers you a better deal, you leave and double or triple your salary; all i'm saying is the guys should be held accountable for the contracts they sign, otherwise penalize the hell out of them, somehow, for leaving after they agree to a new deal.

bri
4/10/2007, 03:42 PM
You know, if breaking these contracts was such a f*cking world-ending thing, don't you think the universities they're leaving would, oh, I don't know, sue them?

Jeez, enough already.

outuba
4/12/2007, 05:06 PM
I can't believe the karma police haven't mentioned how they acquired Franchione.

goes around---------------->comes around?

The only difference between this and Fran is that Gillispie had a contract ready to sign but decided to go to Atlanta for the FF before signing it. But both of them recruited then said "SEE YA!"

sanantoniosooner
4/12/2007, 05:13 PM
The only difference between this and Fran is that Gillispie had a contract ready to sign but decided to go to Atlanta for the FF before signing it. But both of them recruited then said "SEE YA!"
Fran was worse. He took a program that he KNEW was going to get the shaft for cheating and told the recruits "Let's stick this out together". And then left them cold.

Gillispie did what a thousand other coaches have done. Took a better job.

Aggies got no leg to whine on.