PDA

View Full Version : Humility?

Soonermagik
4/6/2007, 04:13 PM
Wow, where do I start. Over the past 4-5 years I have been arrogant in thinking that OU could wipe the floor with anyone. However, the past few seasons haven't been kind to my high expectations. I hailed Stoops as a God only to find out he's just a great coach.

I have blown off other teams (not the way you're thinking) ;) i.e. the TCU's, Boise State, USC, LSU, OSU, Texas and many more

I hate to say it, but I have been living in the past. Watching the 2000 game over and over is getting old. That was 7 years ago, small children have grown up, I have matured (strike that :) ) But you know things have changed.

I want another title, or at least a solid BCS win. I know going undefeated is hard, but I would really like to win the last game. I want a season to end on a positive note. I guess you could say I have been humbled. :(

Aries
4/6/2007, 04:17 PM
Humility is a GOOD thing. It is only ONE of my MANY wonderful qualities.

StuIsTheMan
4/6/2007, 04:45 PM
Wow, where do I start. Over the past 4-5 years I have been arrogant in thinking that OU could wipe the floor with anyone. However, the past few seasons haven't been kind to my high expectations. I hailed Stoops as a God only to find out he's just a great coach.

I have blown off other teams (not the way you're thinking) ;) i.e. the TCU's, Boise State, USC, LSU, OSU, Texas and many more

I hate to say it, but I have been living in the past. Watching the 2000 game over and over is getting old. That was 7 years ago, small children have grown up, I have matured (strike that :) ) But you know things have changed.

I want another title, or at least a solid BCS win. I know going undefeated is hard, but I would really like to win the last game. I want a season to end on a positive note. I guess you could say I have been humbled. :(

Man it is not that OU is getting weaker...it's that there has been a flood of GREAT talent throughout the NCAA making it tougher to go undefeated and also no guarantee's when it comes to BCS games..ie Boise State(WEAK SIDE WEAK SIDE!)...
As cool as it was to win the 12 last year, I would have liked a win to finish off last year as well. Stoops is due for a N.C. for him to fulfill prophesy.

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/1605/bobncpi9.png (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/)

Seamus
4/6/2007, 05:22 PM
Another way to look at it is that OU has more victories this decade than anyone else.

Yet another way is that in over a century, we've won seven national titles.

They are indeed rare and precious, and very difficult to acquire.

soonerboy_odanorth
4/6/2007, 05:37 PM
You're simply walking the natural course of college football maturity...

Getting into the game....

Unbridled optimism: Yeah baby 14-0 again this year!!! End every year!!! FOREVAR!!!!

Several years of cheering your squad....

Realism: We should have a darn good team this year! There is a chance a small chance, we could go undefeated. But a couple or three losses by the very end of the year is likely. But it should still be a great season!

Too many years of putting your hopes on the shoulders of 19-20 year-olds:

Bitter Pessimism: Pffffft. Meh. What's that bonehead coach of ours going to do with this year's group of campus thugs. They'll win a few games I'm sure. But they'll blow it. I just know it.

*Disclaimer: You don't have to make that last progression. Frankly that's usually reserved for LoSuRs. If you satisfy yourself with realism, by mixing a couple doses of optimism with one dose of pessimism and realize you are shaking and stirring with 19-20 year olds, you'll be fine. However, if you stay too long in sunshine pumper land it is a quick slide right past realism to the final progression... I know... I've seen it happen. It ain't pretty.

Look for a 12-2 record for OUr team next year, btw. :D

SteelClip49
4/7/2007, 12:09 AM
Oklahoma under Stoops will always be the flagship of the Big 12. The Big 12 is OU's to take every year. Oklahoma needs another national championship more than anything to solidify themselves at the most successful program since WW2 and move past Alabama and USC with 8 titles in the AP era. 9 titles would make them on top passing Notre Dame. 2003 and 2004 are still painful. Stoops will get us there and has already proved that he can coach any kind of team to greatness.

insuranceman_22
4/8/2007, 12:47 AM
I understand exactly what each of you are saying on this thread. Here's the one question I've got to ask you.....Ain't Sooner Football Great?!!! Okay, not really a question, but if your answer was hell yes (or something equivilant) then you're in good shape!

Sooner74
4/8/2007, 01:52 AM
It could be worse. You could know you have to win to keep your programs prestige. IE Florida St. and Miami. Florida Gators are rocking that state right now taking all the talent. At least we are still getting some good young prospects and have the upside of winning.

SoonerRoads
4/8/2007, 08:03 AM

Unbridled optimism: Yeah baby 14-0 again this year!!! End every year!!! FOREVAR!!!!

Realism: We should have a darn good team this year! There is a chance a small chance, we could go undefeated. But a couple or three losses by the very end of the year is likely. But it should still be a great season!

Bitter Pessimism: Pffffft. Meh. What's that bonehead coach of ours going to do with this year's group of campus thugs. They'll win a few games I'm sure. But they'll blow it. I just know it.

*Disclaimer: You don't have to make that last progression. Frankly that's usually reserved for LoSuRs. If you satisfy yourself with realism, by mixing a couple doses of optimism with one dose of pessimism and realize you are shaking and stirring with 19-20 year olds, you'll be fine. However, if you stay too long in sunshine pumper land it is a quick slide right past realism to the final progression... I know... I've seen it happen. It ain't pretty.

We have a great chance to win the Big 12 again and be in another BCS Bowl this year provided, we aren't hampered by injuries, especially at QB. Bradford seems to be a decent game manager....nothing spectacular but no glaring mistakes either.....if that continues, I think he will be the choice to be the starter. Joey H. has a good arm but he appears to be sporadic. If Bradford is the starter and Joey has to come in, we may be in trouble and that is all the more reason that the defense MUST step it up. Nichol definitely has a ton of talent but it is all raw and he just needs some experience.....I believe he is the future. Overall, I liked what I saw yesterday and I love our depth.

Just my take.

Rogue
4/8/2007, 08:56 AM
I'm usually humble this time of year. Around August 1, after being football starved for several months, I always believe that my Sooners are going to have a great year, beat Texas, and probably go undefeated. Until about the 3rd game when I start to worry, think all week that we are going to get killed on Saturday and it might be better to just get it over with early...and the roller coaster ride is ON!

OUTromBoNado
4/8/2007, 09:03 AM
It could most definitely be worse. We could be like Miami and getting into fights with schools like Florida International. Could you see us getting into a fight with Tulsa a la Miami/FIU (nothing against TU, I love 'em)?

Merv on the radio: "Not in our house! You come into the GFOMS and expect to get your butt beat! I was about to go down there!"

It's actually pretty funny if you picture it in your head.

Soonermagik
4/8/2007, 11:46 AM

Yeah, that is pretty much spot on. I remember after losing to USC in 03 I couldn't sleep that night. I thought to myself this is crazy it is just a game, and I'm putting too much emphasis on it.

Then I went to the Fiesta Bowl and we lost a heartbreaker. It was all good though afterwards I went out and partied with the Boise State fans who were first class.

Soonerman08
4/8/2007, 02:25 PM
Yeah, that is pretty much spot on. I remember after losing to USC in 03 I couldn't sleep that night. I thought to myself this is crazy it is just a game, and I'm putting too much emphasis on it.

Then I went to the Fiesta Bowl and we lost a heartbreaker. It was all good though afterwards I went out and partied with the Boise State fans who were first class.

We lost to USC in 2003? I didn't even know we played them. DAMN! Two years straight! I really hate Pete Carroll. :mad:

poke4christ
4/8/2007, 02:34 PM

There is a lot of wisdom in this statement. I've learned a lot over the years (I'm only 23, so it's not too many years) about keeping your cool and not letting the game affect you. After big losses I used to be down all week.

I remember back in 2001. I was a High School Senior and I hadn't yet decided on going to OSU. My dad is a graduate of Nebraska and him and I watched all of the Nebraska games we could that year. Nebraska was undefeated through most of the year and they were looking like a national champion. Then disaster hit with Colorado game. How could a team have fallen so hard? (I'm guessing this is much like many of you felt in 2002 during ******). I let that game really get to me and it took a lot to get over it.

Now I realize that it's just a game and that OSU, OU, Nebraska and everyone else are just teams that play it. It's good to root on the team and take joy in their accomplishments, but it isn't to let it affect your life. If I was to meet any of you here in person, would we let a simple game and the teams we root for keep us from talking, having fun, and getting to know each other? Isn't our relationship with one another much more important then a silly game or team allegance?

Now, I take joy in the wins, but I let the losses roll off my back. If I'm going to get upset, I'll get upset about my own failures and not the events that I have no control over.

Zach

101sooner
4/8/2007, 02:57 PM
For an Aggy fan, that's a fine approach Zach. Probably best that you've learned to let the losses roll off your back at age 23. You'd be one worn out Aggy by the time you hit 30 if not for your approach to watching your favorite team lose football games.

Soonermagik
4/8/2007, 05:27 PM
There is a lot of wisdom in this statement. I've learned a lot over the years (I'm only 23, so it's not too many years) about keeping your cool and not letting the game affect you. After big losses I used to be down all week.

I remember back in 2001. I was a High School Senior and I hadn't yet decided on going to OSU. My dad is a graduate of Nebraska and him and I watched all of the Nebraska games we could that year. Nebraska was undefeated through most of the year and they were looking like a national champion. Then disaster hit with Colorado game. How could a team have fallen so hard? (I'm guessing this is much like many of you felt in 2002 during ******). I let that game really get to me and it took a lot to get over it.

Now I realize that it's just a game and that OSU, OU, Nebraska and everyone else are just teams that play it. It's good to root on the team and take joy in their accomplishments, but it isn't to let it affect your life. If I was to meet any of you here in person, would we let a simple game and the teams we root for keep us from talking, having fun, and getting to know each other? Isn't our relationship with one another much more important then a silly game or team allegance?

Now, I take joy in the wins, but I let the losses roll off my back. If I'm going to get upset, I'll get upset about my own failures and not the events that I have no control over.

Zach

Great Post. Sometimes I forget sports are supposed to be fun and a form of entertainment. I appreciate all the great responses. :)

AlabamaSooner
4/8/2007, 09:37 PM
EXCELLENT posts so far. Growing up a huge Bama fan and becoming a huge OU fan while in school at Norman, "college football" are the two words that would best describe my life. I live, eat, and breathe it for sure. However, like many have said...it's just a game. While I still get down when my teams lose, I've learned to get over it MUCH quicker than when I was a kid. Think of it this way...no matter what, you're a fan of one of the best college football traditions EVER. Soak it in no matter what. :)

Cam
4/8/2007, 09:51 PM
If surviving the 90's as a Sooner didn't give you some humility, then nothing will.

AlabamaSooner
4/8/2007, 10:05 PM
If surviving the 90's as a Sooner didn't give you some humility, then nothing will.

This is true. When I knew I was going to go to OU (1997), I caught OU football during some pretty low times. Anytime I feel down about a loss, I always remind myself that it could be MUCH worse.

BOOMERBRADLEY
4/8/2007, 10:24 PM
When I was single and OU lost I was bummed for days. Now I just look over at my fiance' and smile and say "well shucks, I know they played hard"

Is that aggy of me?

(it would be if i stared lovingly into my respective livestock's eyes)

Fraggle145
4/9/2007, 01:04 AM
When I was single and OU lost I was bummed for days. Now I just look over at my fiance' and smile and say "well shucks, I know they played hard"

Is that aggy of me?

(it would be if i stared lovingly into my respective livestock's eyes)

Her Diary
Tonight I thought he was acting weird. We had made plans to meet at a bar to have a drink. I was shopping with my friends all day long, so I thought he was upset at the fact that I was a bit late, but he made no comment.

Conversation wasn't flowing so I suggested that we go somewhere quiet so we could talk. He agreed but he kept quiet and absent. I asked him what was wrong; he said nothing. I asked him if it was my fault that he was upset. He said it had nothing to do with me and not to worry. On the way home I told him that I loved him, he simply smiled and kept driving. I can't explain his behavior. I don't know why he didn't say I love you too. When we got home I felt as if I had lost him, as if he wanted nothing to do with me anymore. He just sat there and watched T.V. He seemed distant and absent.

Finally, I decided to go to bed. About 10 minutes later he came to bed, and to my surprise he responded to my caress and we made love, but I still felt that he was distracted and his thoughts were somewhere else.

He fell asleep - I cried. I don't know what to do. I'm almost sure that his thoughts are with someone else. My life is a disaster.

His Diary
OU lost, but at least I got laid.

Aries
4/9/2007, 07:06 AM
When we got blown out by USC in the championship game (the game we never speak of) I was so depressed, I couldn't really sleep. I didn't even go to bed, I just stayed on the couch and tried to sleep there, but I mostly tossed and turned all night with the sound of the television in the background.

I woke up to a news story that young girls who had lost both parents in the tsunami were being raped and abused by their foster parents. I think it was God's way of telling me, "It's a game, stupid. Get over it."

mxATVracer10
4/9/2007, 10:31 AM
When we got blown out by USC in the championship game (the game we never speak of)

:les: THEN WHY ARE YOU SPEAKING OF IT?!?!?!?!1!?/! :P

TexasLidig8r
4/9/2007, 01:31 PM
The evolution of college football is such that year in and year out dynasties are and will become, even more difficult to maintain.

Training and nutrition is widely known and practiced. Scholarship limitations. More exposure to and for high school athletes.

Look at the programs which historically were laughing stocks and who now have a more national presence.. Va Tech, Cal, Oregon, Boise St, Texas Tech...

If you get a coach in who can recruit, there is very little excuse a program of some financial means, cannot do well. Whereas, there may always be a few laughing stocks, the days where two teams can just merrily stroll through the bulk of their conference foes and then meet at the end to decide things, is becoming a thing of the past.