PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes life is really good....

LilSooner
4/6/2007, 02:09 PM
So what started out like the week from hell has turned into a pretty awesome week.

So for starters, the lady that I paid good money to alter my wedding dress completely jacked it up almost beyond repair. My veil came out absolutely ****ious. They decided for some retarded reason to stick these god awful PINK sequins all over my beautiful veil.

Then I find out that it's going to cost almost as much to fix my dress, and take it in 4 sizes than it was to buy the dang thing.

I'm really surprised that I didn't go on a shin-kicking rampage, but I was pretty calm about the whole thing. So today we went back to the fabric store that recommended the tramp who decided to butcher my beautiful dress, and they gave me about 120 dollars worth of the most beautiful silk to fix them hem of my dress. YEAH!

Then I get back to the office I get a call that I'm getting a 20,000 dollar order today, that has drove me crazy for the last month. DOUBLE YEAH!

And as we speak I'm getting a fax that seals the deal on a very large corporate deal that I've been working on. HOORAY!

Oh and the best part of all I come home last night to find that my man not only has a drink waiting for me by the door but is also CLEANING the house!

crawfish
4/6/2007, 02:27 PM
Stuff will go wrong with your wedding. It's a given.

Today, we laugh over our orange and black wedding cake.

:mad:

Mjcpr
4/6/2007, 02:28 PM
Stuff will go wrong with your wedding. It's a given.

Today, we laugh over our orange and black wedding cake.

:mad:

That thing must be as stale as an old stale thing by now.

colleyvillesooner
4/6/2007, 02:31 PM
Oh and the best part of all I come home last night to find that my man not only has a drink waiting for me by the door but is also CLEANING the house!

It's good that women see "having a drink waiting for me" as a sweet, positive thing. :D

MamaMia
4/6/2007, 02:34 PM
Please promise me that you wont cut your hair with a pair of scissors on your wedding day no matter what? ;)

Oh and don't worry, all will be well. Everything will be perfect. :)

LilSooner
4/6/2007, 02:41 PM
Please promise me that you wont cut your hair with a pair of scissors on your wedding day no matter what? ;)

Oh and don't worry, all will be well. Everything will be perfect. :)

I'm crazy, but I ain't THAT crazy. Beside the guy who is doing my hair and make up is the guy who does the hair and make up of the current Miss American and Jenifer Berry. He has been doing my since I was 15 and the wrath that he would bring down just isn't worth pulling a Britney Spears.

Mjcpr
4/6/2007, 02:42 PM
Who's gonna do Rhino's hair?

Viking Kitten
4/6/2007, 02:43 PM

I can't wait to hear Dean's take on this.

:pop:

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/6/2007, 02:43 PM
So what started out like the week from hell has turned into a pretty awesome week.

So for starters, the lady that I paid good money to alter my wedding dress completely jacked it up almost beyond repair. My veil came out absolutely ****ious. They decided for some retarded reason to stick these god awful PINK sequins all over my beautiful veil.

Then I find out that it's going to cost almost as much to fix my dress, and take it in 4 sizes than it was to buy the dang thing.

I'm really surprised that I didn't go on a shin-kicking rampage, but I was pretty calm about the whole thing. So today we went back to the fabric store that recommended the tramp who decided to butcher my beautiful dress, and they gave me about 120 dollars worth of the most beautiful silk to fix them hem of my dress. YEAH!

Then I get back to the office I get a call that I'm getting a 20,000 dollar order today, that has drove me crazy for the last month. DOUBLE YEAH!

And as we speak I'm getting a fax that seals the deal on a very large corporate deal that I've been working on. HOORAY!

Best

story

ever!

Especially that last part...heh.

:D

KC//CRIMSON
4/6/2007, 03:49 PM

They haven't even made it legal yet and somebody is already whipped.:dean:

Czar Soonerov
4/6/2007, 04:05 PM

I've got a cold one here waiting for you too sweeticakes. It's in the fridge, get me one while you're up.

Viking Kitten
4/6/2007, 04:19 PM
I've got a cold one here waiting for you too sweeticakes. It's in the fridge, get me one while you're up.

A cold one? So the hooker's all ready for me to work over? Thanks Honeybun!

colleyvillesooner
4/6/2007, 04:29 PM
well, it is good friday.

LoyalFan
4/7/2007, 02:29 AM
So, the dude is waiting for you "at home" with drink in hand...
Are you two already sharing living accommodations (and other stuff)?
If so, are you wearing white at the nuptials?
Jus' axin'. Innocent fellow that I am.

LF

King Crimson
4/7/2007, 05:26 AM
sequins? yikes.

Okla-homey
4/7/2007, 11:16 AM
IMHO, "traditional" church weddings are overrated and the source of a great deal of pain and suffering in the world. They result in the hemorraging of vast sums that could be better spent on getting started in life (if the bride's family aren't paying for it.)

If the bride's family is paying for it per the traditional norm in the US, it's even scarier and unfair for the people who raised the bride to suffer this sort of extortion as the price for getting the bride out of dad's back pocket.

Simple ceremonies formalized my a minister and attending by close friends and the immediate family are better and more socially responsible.

Note: the fact that I have daughter and a wife who will be insisting I expend $30K or so on nuptials someday has absolutely no effect on my objective analysis of the American traditional wedding phenomenon as a social and familial ill and liability.:D

4/7/2007, 11:44 AM
Colonel Homey is correct. Where did we go wrong? What societal event in history established the "Bend Over, Dad" rule?

bluedogok
4/7/2007, 11:58 AM
Our church wedding was quite a bit cheaper than another type would have been. We paid for it ourselves as we were 39 (me) and 38 (her) when we were married, we had never been married before so she still wanted a "traditional" wedding. Now she was liking the Vegas idea about a month before the wedding. We had it at the church where she is a member, she checked around and all of the other places to have a wedding/reception were two to four times more expensive than the church. We also did an afternoon wedding (no meal) and the reception at the church (no alcohol) which was fine for me, I have bought enough drinks for people over the years.

We spent more on the honeymoon than the wedding.

Rhino
4/7/2007, 12:34 PM
So, the dude is waiting for you "at home" with drink in hand...
Are you two already sharing living accommodations (and other stuff)?
If so, are you wearing white at the nuptials?

LF I'm sorry, do you want me to murder you?

LilSooner
4/7/2007, 01:23 PM
You know what there are some people in this life that suck as people, and unfortunately they found their way into this thread.

Also, just FYI. My daddy ain't paying for ****. Thank you very much. So I'm not quite sure why this thread went on this tangent, but it can find another way to go.

Thanks

Okla-homey
4/7/2007, 01:38 PM
You know what there are some people in this life that suck as people, and unfortunately they found their way into this thread.

Also, just FYI. My daddy ain't paying for ****. Thank you very much. So I'm not quite sure why this thread went on this tangent, but it can find another way to go.

Thanks

Lighten' up bridezilla:D

proud gonzo
4/7/2007, 01:41 PM
so Lil--what kind of alterations was the lady supposed to make that she messed up?

LilSooner
4/7/2007, 01:50 PM
so Lil--what kind of alterations was the lady supposed to make that she messed up?

She was supposed to shorten the hem, because I am a munchkin about 6 inches had to come off. There are three layers to the dress and all three are now different lengths. The top layer is this sheer fabric, which we are attaching the silk at the hem to hid all the other mistakes and to make it lay better.

She also did the most god awful bustle of all time. It just looked retarded, so we are doing a 6 point bustle instead which will be way prettier.

That really wasn't the most expensive part, taking it down 4 sizes is what is killing me.

Homey, it's all good except when people start insinuating stuff that they don't know anything about.

If you don't want to pay for your daughter's wedding then don't, or if you don't want to spend 30,000 for something that is going to last a few hours than don't. There's nothing written in the parenting laws stating that a parent MUST pay for their children's wedding. It's rude to even assume such a thing, but there are parents/family who would like to help their children and that's fine too.

bluedogok
4/7/2007, 04:09 PM
Homey, it's all good except when people start insinuating stuff that they don't know anything about.
People do that all the time, just ignore the morans......it is YOUR wedding, who cares what others think as long as you are happy with it.

Mine was all a blur to me and I was sober, it all goes by too fast. Remember to enjoy it.

1stTimeCaller
4/7/2007, 06:13 PM
I'm not quite sure why this thread went on this tangent, but it can find another way to go.

Thanks

Are you new here? Let me be the first to welcome you to the South Oval. Enjoy your stay, try the veal and tip your waitstaff.

LilSooner
4/7/2007, 06:16 PM
:rolleyes:

Zbird
4/7/2007, 10:28 PM

Simonize

Okla-homey
4/8/2007, 06:39 AM

If you don't want to pay for your daughter's wedding then don't, or if you don't want to spend 30,000 for something that is going to last a few hours than don't. There's nothing written in the parenting laws stating that a parent MUST pay for their children's wedding. It's rude to even assume such a thing, but there are parents/family who would like to help their children and that's fine too.

Look, I tried to make a joke...and it was taken personally for some reason. For that I apologize. Look, this is an innerweb message board. People post stuff, others comment. Short of making light of someone being sick or dying, it's pretty much open season here.

Finally, I respectfully dissent from your statement "There's nothing written in the parenting laws stating that a parent MUST pay for their children's wedding." According to longstanding custom in the United States, the bride's parents pay for the wedding and reception. The groom pays for the the bride's diamond and the honeymoon, -- and the poor bride pays for the rest of her life. ;)

Were that not the case, the American wedding industry would have ceased to exist around 1965 or so because 18-25 y/o's usually don't have the kind of cash necessary to put on a big ol' frilly white wedding that the wedding industry (which is big business in the US) has tried mightily to convince every female she must have.

Today, lots of women wait to marry later in their lives. I agree that these women can often afford to have as big a wedding as they choose and whether or not ask parents for help bankrolling it is her business.

LilSooner
4/8/2007, 08:53 AM
Homey,
Check your spek I think it will explain. Pretty much I tried to put two seperate trains of thought into one post. I was responding to two posters, first statement had NOTHING to do with what I was responding to you.

Now saying that I disagree with you although I see what you are saying, but if you ever dare to venture onto the knot (which good GOD I hope you never do), you will see that there is a vast majority that look down on the girls who have their parents pay for their wedding. Right or wrong that's the overwhelming point of view that seems to be out there.

Okla-homey
4/8/2007, 09:07 AM
Homey,
Check your spek I think it will explain. Pretty much I tried to put two seperate trains of thought into one post. I was responding to two posters, first statement had NOTHING to do with what I was responding to you.

Now saying that I disagree with you although I see what you are saying, but if you ever dare to venture onto the knot (which good GOD I hope you never do), [what, pray tell, is "the knot?" ] you will see that there is a vast majority that look down on the girls who have their parents pay for their wedding. Right or wrong that's the overwhelming point of view that seems to be out there.

I'll ask around. I go to school with quite a few young women up here in Tulsa, and I'll check for consensus on this point. I can tell you, without fear of reproach, that my daughter (age 21) expects that she and mom will make all the plans and daddy-o will pay for the nuptial fiesta -- but maybe that's that whole "Old South" uber-conservative dealio kicking-in.

BajaOklahoma
4/8/2007, 09:24 AM
Lil, relax. It's your day and do it the way you want.
My niece is getting married in a few months. The first date chosen was the first game of the season. Fortunately she couldn't get the reception hall for that date. Her mom wasn't amused when I told her that we would be after the game - in our crimson and cream. Hello? The wedding is in Oklahoma - no one would be there anyway.

And we still laugh about our wedding, which we did on the cheap as I still had a year of college which my parents agreed to pay. I borrowed a wedding gown and had it outdoors (less flowers). When they turned off the fountain, the organ lost power. The ring bearer thought he was a bear and growled all the way down the aisle. We have pictures of the flower girl picking her nose. And my kids crack up at the pictures - our colors were in style back then and a joke now. I'm planning to scan the pictures and turn them into black and whites.

Relax and enjoy. Best wishes.

LilSooner
4/8/2007, 09:36 AM
You guys think I'm getting upset because about what Homey said, I most certainly am not. I got upset because what LF said. Sorry if it got misconstrued.

So let me just make this clear for everyone so you understand. I think LF sucks and only he sucks not any one else in this thread. I really don't care who is suppose to pay for the wedding, I was only relating the consensus that I have gotten from one the largest wedding message boards I have ever been on.

So can everyone stop thinking that I hate Homey because I most certainly do not and that I'm flipping out because I am most certainly not.

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!

bluedogok
4/8/2007, 10:00 AM
Lil, relax. It's your day and do it the way you want.
My niece is getting married in a few months. The first date chosen was the first game of the season. Fortunately she couldn't get the reception hall for that date. Her mom wasn't amused when I told her that we would be after the game - in our crimson and cream. Hello? The wedding is in Oklahoma - no one would be there anyway.
I have known 3 Poke couples who married the weekend of OU-Texas, that pretty much eliminates all of your OU friends and co-workers from attending.

Okla-homey
4/8/2007, 10:08 AM
You guys think I'm getting upset because about what Homey said, I most certainly am not. I got upset because what LF said. Sorry if it got misconstrued.

So let me just make this clear for everyone so you understand. I think LF sucks and only he sucks not any one else in this thread. I really don't care who is suppose to pay for the wedding, I was only relating the consensus that I have gotten from one the largest wedding message boards I have ever been on.

So can everyone stop thinking that I hate Homey because I most certainly do not and that I'm flipping out because I am most certainly not.

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!

No biggy. Champagne wishes and caviar dreams for the Bestest Wedding Evar...no matter who's paying for it!

4/8/2007, 10:14 AM
I have known 3 Poke couples who married the weekend of OU-Texas, that pretty much eliminates all of your OU friends and co-workers from attending.

Clearly, you know too many Pokes.

Cam
4/8/2007, 08:15 PM
Schick

bluedogok
4/8/2007, 10:15 PM
Clearly, you know too many Pokes.
I worked with about 125 of them when I was in OKC....so yeah I knew too many.

Ike
4/8/2007, 10:22 PM

Good for you. My week was the exact opposite of this.