PDA

View Full Version : Bomar Interview

starrca23
4/5/2007, 10:22 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2824353

I hope this isn't a re-post. If so just delete it.

Rhett will be on Outside the Lines this afternoon. It kind of sounds like he still wishes he was a Sooner, so maybe he has some sense after all...just a little sense not a whole lot. I know he blew it and all.

MojoRisen
4/5/2007, 10:35 AM
Sometimes you have too just take it on the Chin- no issues with his statements. Hope he does well at Sam Houston -

CincySooner
4/5/2007, 10:43 AM
He sounds sorry, and he sounds like he realizes how much he will miss out on. It also sounds like he has picked the right way to talk about the events.
Sometimes it takes a little while longer to gain maturity. I guess the important thing is that maturity seems to have finally come around to him no matter how long it took.

I did like this quote:
--------
"Don't make the same mistake I made, because it's not worth it in the end," Bomar said. "I know that for a fact. Just do what you're supposed to do and then leave. Don't get caught up with the wrong people. Don't listen. Don't let somebody tell you that this is what you can do. Just do your job and get out of there."
--------

Neg-fest coming my way I'm sure, but...

all the best Bomar

Rhino
4/5/2007, 11:04 AM
Out of all the people involved and blabbing about this thing (McRae, Bomar, Quinn, Hardison, Hardison's ex-roommate), Bomar, surprisingly, comes off as the most mature.

XingTheRubicon
4/5/2007, 11:21 AM
He sounds sorry, and he sounds like he realizes how much he will miss out on. It also sounds like he has picked the right way to talk about the events.
Sometimes it takes a little while longer to gain maturity. I guess the important thing is that maturity seems to have finally come around to him no matter how long it took.

I did like this quote:
--------
"Don't make the same mistake I made, because it's not worth it in the end," Bomar said. "I know that for a fact. Just do what you're supposed to do and then leave. Don't get caught up with the wrong people. Don't listen. Don't let somebody tell you that this is what you can do. Just do your job and get out of there."
--------

Neg-fest coming my way I'm sure, but...

all the best Bomar

Doesn't seem too fond of Norman. Not now I guess.

NorthernIowaSooner
4/5/2007, 11:23 AM

i think he meant that in regards to work, do your job then go home. thats the way i took it. i think this kinda put a new perspective on him for me, seems to miss playing at OU. oddly i actually feel kinda bad for him now and hope he does well.

King Crimson
4/5/2007, 11:25 AM

yeah, but that's like blaming the money for stealing.

Widescreen
4/5/2007, 11:30 AM
Yeah, he was referring to his job, not Norman.

XingTheRubicon
4/5/2007, 11:35 AM
i think he meant that in regards to work, do your job then go home. thats the way i took it. i think this kinda put a new perspective on him for me, seems to miss playing at OU. oddly i actually feel kinda bad for him now and hope he does well.

missed that, thanks

sooner518
4/5/2007, 11:38 AM
sounds alot better than Quinn. He admits his mistake and takes responsibility for it and I wish him the best. I think it would be hilarious if he leads them to victory over :stunned: next year

Fraggle145
4/5/2007, 11:50 AM
"When I got to Norman, a few of us went over there to see about a job," Bomar said. "Someone in the athletic department said it was an option. They basically guided us to go there."

this is the only thing that I didnt like... I thought the rest of it was well stated.

OU-HSV
4/5/2007, 11:52 AM
Out of all the people involved and blabbing about this thing (McRae, Bomar, Quinn, Hardison, Hardison's ex-roommate), Bomar, surprisingly, comes off as the most mature.
I found that interesting too. They knew that what they did was wrong and it seems like Bomar has stepped up more than anyone in admitting they're the ones who should be held responsible for what they chose to do. I hope he's sincere in what he says.
Now Quinn on the other hand , from what he said the other day, is still a 100% Jackass in my book.

OU-HSV
4/5/2007, 11:53 AM
this is the only thing that I didnt like... I thought the rest of it was well stated.
yep, I didn't care too much for that part either.

Taxman71
4/5/2007, 12:38 PM
I only wish Bomar could have matured and gained that humility before arriving at OU.

Scott D
4/5/2007, 12:50 PM
I found that interesting too. They knew that what they did was wrong and it seems like Bomar has stepped up more than anyone in admitting they're the ones who should be held responsible for what they chose to do. I hope he's sincere in what he says.
Now Quinn on the other hand , from what he said the other day, is still a 100% Jackass in my book.

Quinn's just bitter about not having as much room for a still in his apartment in Montana.

Crimson Kid
4/5/2007, 01:04 PM
It's good to hear him taking the blame, and not trying to stick it on others, i wish you all the best rhett, i just wish you could have learned these lessons without having to go through all this.

Gl rhett.

Seamus
4/5/2007, 01:15 PM
Wow. Rhett did come across as more of a man. Who'dda thunk?

Quinn, well, he and his sense of entitlement have much growing up to do. Hopefully, his road to humility won't be a long one ...

starrca23
4/5/2007, 01:48 PM
I just liked the fact that he still had all of his sooner stuff. I hope he does well as long as he never plays us! It would be funny if they took out the pokies.

Scott D
4/5/2007, 02:47 PM
it's about to be televised on ESPN after this commercial break for anyone with access to a tv right now.

MichiganSooner
4/5/2007, 02:56 PM
I only wish Bomar could have matured and gained that humility before arriving at OU.

When Rhett came on the scene at OU he was a big high school star recruited by everyone and all of us, and him, had the highest of expectations. At a big time program like OU, we see the players perform from the stands or on TV and think of them as NFL stars not college players. They hit hard, they run fast, the pads crack when they block and its all done inside an NFL size stadium.

The thing is these kids are kids. They are 18 when they show up. Of course, that is old enough to drive, fight in the Army, and vote but they are kids. Call them young adults, if you want, but they are still growing and maturing. I remember how much I changed going from grade 11, to grade 12, to freshman in college to senior in college. And Rhett, (and my kids) have been the same way. We got to challenge them, let them make their mistakes, counsel them if necessary but basically sit back and hope they figure things out. It looks like Rhett has done that. And I am very proud of him.

Still asking myself when JD Quinn is going to grow up though.

OU-HSV
4/5/2007, 03:00 PM
Quinn's just bitter about not having as much room for a still in his apartment in Montana.
haha

:pop:

sooner518
4/5/2007, 03:16 PM
Bob Ley totally said "Romar". hehe

Widescreen
4/5/2007, 03:53 PM
Me too. But it sounds like it took a fairly major life altering event to make it happen and that didn't occur until after he was already in Norman.

PAW
4/5/2007, 06:13 PM
Bomar interview (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP-iz1_rzfE) on Youtube

still calling him Romar

All_Day_28
4/5/2007, 06:48 PM

still calling him Romar
thanks...

it's actually kind of sad

Van Wilder
4/5/2007, 07:45 PM
Yea it really is. In a way I feel bad for him just simply because I'm still young myself and I make mistakes and unfortuneately his mistake was HUGE that really hurt the university I love. I hope everything works out for him at SHSU and I hope he whoops up on okie light.

Sooner in Tampa
4/5/2007, 07:59 PM
yeah, but that's like blaming the money for stealing.or Hustler for carpal tunnel

OU-HSV
4/5/2007, 08:16 PM

still calling him Romar
Thanks for posting the link, my wife tried to dvr it for me, but apparently espn was running behind today and she recorded the wrong show.

soonerlaw
4/5/2007, 08:24 PM
Well, I hope he realizes he probably gave up a MNC (or three) a heisman, and getting drafted in the top 10 and playing in the NFL for a couple thousand dollars. Not sure if a lot of people thought he was that good, but I thought he had a lot of talent and with the system put in place for him and the success that qbs had before him in that system, all that, IMHO, was entirely possible.

Perhaps he will still get into the NFL via SHSU...

MissouriSooner
4/5/2007, 08:50 PM
The thing is these kids are kids. They are 18 when they show up. Of course, that is old enough to drive, fight in the Army, and vote but they are kids. Call them young adults, if you want, but they are still growing and maturing. I remember how much I changed going from grade 11, to grade 12, to freshman in college to senior in college. And Rhett, (and my kids) have been the same way. We got to challenge them, let them make their mistakes, counsel them if necessary but basically sit back and hope they figure things out. It looks like Rhett has done that. And I am very proud of him.

Still asking myself when JD Quinn is going to grow up though.
Cutting RB and others like him slack because he's 18 is what got him in trouble in the first place. He - and other talented youngsters - have been treated like their crap don't stink since they were six or seven years old. They just naturally grow up thinking they can do no wrong because nobody's ever told them they can do anything wrong. By the time kids are twelve or fourteen, they are either gonna do things the honest way, or they're not. Eighteen is long past the age when they should have learned right from wrong. RB knew what he was doing was wrong, period. Giving him an attaboy because he's sorry NOW is like closing the corral gate after the horse is long gone.

theboz44
4/5/2007, 09:57 PM
Cutting RB and others like him slack because he's 18 is what got him in trouble in the first place. He - and other talented youngsters - have been treated like their crap don't stink since they were six or seven years old. They just naturally grow up thinking they can do no wrong because nobody's ever told them they can do anything wrong. By the time kids are twelve or fourteen, they are either gonna do things the honest way, or they're not. Eighteen is long past the age when they should have learned right from wrong. RB knew what he was doing was wrong, period. Giving him an attaboy because he's sorry NOW is like closing the corral gate after the horse is long gone.

you hit the nail on the head

OKC-SLC
4/5/2007, 10:37 PM
smart.

insuranceman_22
4/5/2007, 11:00 PM

While this is very true, didn't you get the feeling that through this deal he's figured out that his crap is pretty similiar to everybody else's? He's a great talent physically, but I think this slapped him in the face and gave him a dose of reality. From starting QB at the University of Oklahoma to Sam Houston State is a pretty serious wake up call & I think he heard loud and clear. Hope makes better decisions there and I wish him good luck.

Fraggle145
4/6/2007, 02:10 AM
I agree he shouldnt be cut slack. The thing that has changed my perspective on him as a person (granted I probably over reacted as did most OU fans) is two things.

1) he did apologize (granted not coherently, but who could be coherent after ****ing up that bad) within a day of his release

2) he is the only one who has taken responsibility and tried to move on after the fact. he also still values his time at oklahoma.

Look he messed up and I am glad he got kicked out, for him and for us. I am glad that he has found an alternative (I wish it hadnt have been at our expense). It takes a lot of balls to dmit that the blame is yours twice on national tv. Hopefully we dont get screwed too bad for his **** up.

MichiganSooner
4/6/2007, 07:20 AM

Let's make something clear. I am not cutting Bomar any slack and neither did Bob Stoops. He is off the team; it was a clear case of breaking the rules and Rhett knew what the rules were. I don't call getting kicked off the team and losing a full scholarship, and letting the sports nation know all about it on TV news, national magazines, and newspapers from coast to coast, cutting somebody some slack.

I agree with your comments regarding being treated like a sports prima-donna all his life as being a possible contributing factor.

I am proud of Rhett because he realizes he did wrong, is sorry he did wrong, and has moved on with his life. JD Quinn apparently hasn't. He has just moved on to play some more football.

I got fired from an excellent job I had done for 14 years for a poor judgement decision I made one time. They didn't remember all the good ones. It took me over a year off to pick myself up and get on with my life. MissouriSooner, maybe you have never done anything wrong and got caught. This is about more that your star quarterback getting kicked off your favorite football team the day before fall practice. And by the way, Paul Thompson and the Sooners did very well and the upcoming teams will too. We don't need or want cheaters on the team and if we do get one someday, Bob Stoops will not cut him any slack either.

OU4LIFE
4/6/2007, 07:58 AM
I'm not giving him an 'attaboy' because he's sorry NOW, i'm giving him one because he finally acted like a man and stepped up and took complete responsibility for his actions.

soonerlaw
4/6/2007, 08:41 AM
Hey its not all bad.. 50 people came out to watch him at their spring game.

OU-HSV
4/6/2007, 08:43 AM
They should've called it their "100 challenge"

birddog
4/6/2007, 12:25 PM

i can hear the crowd chanting his name after a td pass...

brett!, brett!, brett!

Wishboned
4/6/2007, 04:04 PM
He stood up and took responsibility for his actions.

That's a step in the right direction for that young man.

When the incident first happened I was a little concerned, but I also was looking forward to seeing Paul Thompson run the offense. And I wasn't disappointed.

Seamus
4/6/2007, 05:30 PM
or Hustler for carpal tunnel

ROFL!

elderlysooner
4/6/2007, 05:38 PM
The scientists tell us that the human brain does not fully mature until around the age of 25.

Fraggle145
4/6/2007, 05:50 PM
The scientists tell us that the human brain does not fully mature until around the age of 25.

Why do you hate kids? ;)

MichiganSooner
4/6/2007, 10:24 PM
Just went to my FoxSports Reader for the first time in weeks and was amazed by the first page of headlines...and we are worried sick that we'll be banned from all but Hell since our coach kicked off the trouble makers.

Read these headlines.
Purdue WR Lymon stabbed in chest. Toledo RB charged in point-shaving scandal. Ex-Michigan State player charged with murder. Toledo unsure if more players will be charged. Florida LB Doe charged with fighting in public.
Florida offensive lineman Ronnie Matthew Wilson arrested, accused of firing a semiautomatic rifle in the air. Penn State players questioned in off-campus incident.
Where is the Dallas Morning News staff?

PAW
4/6/2007, 10:30 PM

Busy working on their next OU story.

footballfanatic
4/7/2007, 09:44 AM
Here's a different take on the interview:

The difference between Bomar and Quinn is that Bomar has people advising him. That interview was staged by them with an eye towards a future NFL career, so draft guys can see that he has matured and gotten "character." Team Bomar has a long-term plan in place--it was derailed in Norman, but it has been retooled. Sam Houston actually has a relatively impressive history of turning out pros and they have a good QB program in place. My wife spent twenty years in NYC working at PR firms, much of it doing damage control, and she says there is media training all over the interview. He and his handlers have done a good job of setting him up for a shot.

Quinn, on the other hand, is completely alone, in a system where even he admits he isn't completely welcome. He has no one helping him--that is obvious in his interview--during the most difficult period of his life. He is bitter, confused, frightened, and knows he blew his one shot. I expect really sad things to happen to him.

badger
4/7/2007, 10:11 AM
Here's a different take on the interview:

The difference between Bomar and Quinn is that Bomar has people advising him. That interview was staged by them with an eye towards a future NFL career, so draft guys can see that he has matured and gotten "character." Team Bomar has a long-term plan in place--it was derailed in Norman, but it has been retooled. Sam Houston actually has a relatively impressive history of turning out pros and they have a good QB program in place. My wife spent twenty years in NYC working at PR firms, much of it doing damage control, and she says there is media training all over the interview. He and his handlers have done a good job of setting him up for a shot.

Quinn, on the other hand, is completely alone, in a system where even he admits he isn't completely welcome. He has no one helping him--that is obvious in his interview--during the most difficult period of his life. He is bitter, confused, frightened, and knows he blew his one shot. I expect really sad things to happen to him.
That would explain why Bomar rejected all interviews relating to OU except ESPN, while Quinn and McRae mouthed off this week :rolleyes:

Even after Bomar's on-air "humbling," the facts remain:
-He broke the law TWICE by drinking underage. (those are just the times he was caught)
-His dad did nothing to help "humble" him while at OU, constantly talking to the media about how his son wasn't getting enough snaps in the spring, etc.
-On the field, he showed his arrogance by doing such things as spiking the ball in the Holiday Bowl BEFORE the game was decided.
-Off the field, he took money that he knew he didn't earn. Minor OU athletes state that they receive instructions on why and how NOT to do this. Imagine what the OU football team goes through to ensure this does not happen.
-On his way out, he acknowledges that he didn't say goodbye to anyone. "Well g2g guys, my NFL ticket shall be stamped elsewhere!" He didn't even say that.

While he said the right things today, why did it take him so long to do something right after all the things he did wrong?

tulsaoilerfan
4/7/2007, 10:48 AM

How many of us could say that about ourselves when we went off to college at 18? He's a kid that made some mistakes and i wish him the best at SHS.

tulsaoilerfan
4/7/2007, 10:52 AM
Just went to my FoxSports Reader for the first time in weeks and was amazed by the first page of headlines...and we are worried sick that we'll be banned from all but Hell since our coach kicked off the trouble makers.

Read these headlines.
Purdue WR Lymon stabbed in chest. Toledo RB charged in point-shaving scandal. Ex-Michigan State player charged with murder. Toledo unsure if more players will be charged. Florida LB Doe charged with fighting in public.
Florida offensive lineman Ronnie Matthew Wilson arrested, accused of firing a semiautomatic rifle in the air. Penn State players questioned in off-campus incident.

You know the answer to that; none of this is news-worthy because it isn't OU:rolleyes:

starrca23
4/7/2007, 04:34 PM
I was actually even more impressed after seeing the interview as opposed to reading it. He said the right things, but he seemed humbled in the way he said them.

AzianSooner
4/7/2007, 05:44 PM
According to the fact that he put his OU plaque on the wall and what he said about good time at OU, I think HE APPRECIATED his chance to play and regreted for not taking advantage of it.

fadada1
4/8/2007, 07:39 AM
i'm glad he's taken responsibility for his actions. you don't see much of that in today's sports world and high-profile athletes. still doesn't hide the fact that he screwed up big time... and it has changed his life forever. 60 years from now, he'll still think about his time at OU and how he could've been one of the best ever in norman.

i think as he gets older, he remember the games where sooner greats were honored in some way (and senior day). he very easily could've been received like joe washington, billy simms, billy vessels, etc., and like josh and AD will be treated many years from now. THAT, is what i think will sting.

if it's humility he wants, he'll get it in huntsville. i went to several games while i was at SHSU. i've been to high school games with more tradition and atmosphere. i've been to county fairs with better tailgating. he will miss saturdays with 80,000 fans.

as a person, i hope he gets his chance at the NFL. as a SOONER, i hope he never steps foot in norman again.