PDA

View Full Version : so, I was sitting at pad thai just now

GottaHavePride
4/4/2007, 10:05 PM
no sign of OUAndy. again.

Rhino
4/4/2007, 10:10 PM
DID YOU ASK THEM WHERE THEY ARE MOVING TO?

I know the guy hates you. Ask one of the chicks, man.

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/2697/chicksmanlg5.jpg

proud gonzo
4/4/2007, 10:30 PM
I didnt' SEE any chicks in there. I bet i could have asked the dude working there, though. He's always very nice to me. They were pretty busy, though, so I didn't want to bother them too much.

GottaHavePride
4/4/2007, 10:37 PM
I think I heard one of the guys tell the table next to us that they don't know where they're moving yet. And the place was hella busy, so I didn't ask them again.

Soonerus
4/4/2007, 11:06 PM
I love Thai food, have you tried Jana's in Robinson Crossing ??? Pad Thai is excellent...

GottaHavePride
4/5/2007, 12:11 AM
I've been there once - I just don't drive that far when pad thai is so much closer, though.

Soonerus
4/5/2007, 12:17 AM
It is different but very good once your develop a taste for their style...TIP: ask them to go easy on the fish oil, they tend to overdo it a bit...

proud gonzo
4/5/2007, 12:20 AM
ewww... if there's fish oil in my food, I don't want to know about it. ewwww

SoonerBBall
4/5/2007, 12:22 AM
I talk to the owner often, he said they don't know where they are moving yet. They are definitely staying in Norman, though, and hopefully close to the campus.

I have heard Sweet Basil in Norman is a damn good Thai place, but I just can't bring myself to go anywhere other than Pad Thai.

Soonerus
4/5/2007, 12:23 AM
fish oil is very, very good for you but an excess can cause unwanted consequences.....I believe some fish oil is in all Thai food... at least Pad Thai

mdklatt
4/5/2007, 12:23 AM
ewww... if there's fish oil in my food, I don't want to know about it. ewwww

You're in luck, because it's fish sauce, not oil.

Soonerus
4/5/2007, 12:24 AM
I talk to the owner often, he said they don't know where they are moving yet. They are definitely staying in Norman, though, and hopefully close to the campus.

I have heard Sweet Basil in Norman is a damn good Thai place, but I just can't bring myself to go anywhere other than Pad Thai.

Sweet Basil is excellent, I have eaten there...it is just not that convenient to me...

proud gonzo
4/5/2007, 12:25 AM
fish oil is very, very good for you but an excess can cause unwanted consequences.....I believe some fish oil is in all Thai food... at least Pad Thaioh, i don't doubt it. i just don't want to KNOW it's there.

GottaHavePride
4/5/2007, 12:26 AM

I ate there once - the quality of the food was about on par with pad thai, but the prices were a little higher.

Soonerus
4/5/2007, 12:26 AM
Some people take fish oil tablets every day for health purposes...

King Crimson
4/5/2007, 02:52 AM
it's true people are taking fish oil for Omega 3....flax seeds/oil are also good for this.

but, for thai cooking fish sauce is what is used. two different things.

http://www.thaitable.com/Thai/Ingredients/fish_sauce.htm

SoonerJack
4/5/2007, 08:25 AM
And just exactly how does one make a "fish sauce"? I bet they use a Bass-o-Matic.

King Crimson
4/5/2007, 08:30 AM
And just exactly how does one make a "fish sauce"? I bet they use a Bass-o-Matic.

Akroyd's ronco's bass-o-matic was great (no doubt), but you go to the local Asian market and buy it in a bottle.

like this. i could not even begin to tell you how to use it, but i bet a half hour on line you could figger it out.

http://www.panix.com/~clay/cookbook/images/fish-sauce.jpg

GottaHavePride
4/5/2007, 08:56 AM

I think, according to Alton Brown, that you take some fish, put it on racks, let it ferment, and the juice that drips out is "fish sauce".

Mjcpr
4/5/2007, 09:05 AM
How it's made (http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/features/fishsauce1.html)

Don't read if you currently like Thai food. :D

yermom
4/5/2007, 10:27 AM
that's pretty gross... but i figured it was something i wouldn't like by the name

i still like the stuff that uses it in Thai and Vietnamese stuff though :D