PDA

View Full Version : General Urban Living Question

royalfan5
4/4/2007, 11:52 AM
So I've decided if I end up working in a large city.(Which looks like a pretty good chance to start off with right now) that I would rather live in a downtown area, because suburbs suck. Right now it looks like it may be Omaha's downtown, but KC, Des Moines, or the twin cities aren't out of the question. I would just like anysight on what is like living in a redeveloped downtown area in decently sized city? TIA

BigRedJed
4/4/2007, 11:59 AM
It's teh awesome. YWIA.

BigRedJed
4/4/2007, 11:59 AM
Oh, I guess since you threw out a TIA, my YWIA was utilized improperly.

Frozen Sooner
4/4/2007, 12:03 PM
Des Moines is actually a really good place for a person in their early 20s to live. I did it for a year in my early 20s, and I had a blast. There's a bunch of universities within close driving distance, so the downtown bar scene is loaded with PYTs.

I didn't live downtown, though, I lived out in West Des Moines. When I was there, I was renting an 1100 square foot apartment in a great neighborhood with a pool, driving range, and tennis courts for $550 a month. Your mileage may vary.

BigRedJed
4/4/2007, 12:05 PM
Seriously, though, living five minutes from just about anything I could possibly care about doing in a town is great. Tons of dining and entertainment options. Also, since I work downtown, my commute is negligible.

If the average OKC commute is 20 minutes, and many, many people commute from even further out, I end up with an extra 2 1/2 hours a week that most people spend in windshield time. Considering the fact that pretty much everything I would be doing no matter where I live (concerts, Hornets games, dining out at my favorite places) all are a quick jaunt away, I also save untold hours annually in driving time. The time savings alone makes it worthwhile, IMO.

BigRedJed
4/4/2007, 12:08 PM
Des Moines, believe it or not, is considered a national model for downtown development. When I attended an International downtown Association conference in L.A. a few years ago, half of the session presenters were from Des Moines, with people like the L.A. Downtown association and even the association that oversees Times Square lapping up a lot of what they had to say.

royalfan5
4/4/2007, 12:19 PM
The thing that attracts me to downtown in Omaha is that they have done a lot of work there the past few years, a reverse commute, and proximity to I-29. I've heard Des Moines is really nice too. Have any of y'all been involved in Young Professional type groups? I figure if I'm going to do this, I better go all out. I have some existing friends in Omaha but they are all surbanites whose idea of a good time is Old Chicago.

royalfan5
4/4/2007, 12:54 PM
This one of the buildings I'm looking at
http://www.thetiptoplife.com/

Frozen Sooner
4/4/2007, 01:25 PM
Des Moines, believe it or not, is considered a national model for downtown development. When I attended an International downtown Association conference in L.A. a few years ago, half of the session presenters were from Des Moines, with people like the L.A. Downtown association and even the association that oversees Times Square lapping up a lot of what they had to say.

Actually, I do believe it. Downtown Des Moines was a great place to hang out. Clean, well-lit, plenty of shops and bars.

KC//CRIMSON
4/4/2007, 01:44 PM
One thing I learned from living downtown in a few cities. No grocery stores.:mad:

bluedogok
4/4/2007, 02:05 PM
One thing I learned from living downtown in a few cities. No grocery stores.:mad:
It depends on the city and how much population is downtown. Stores will start coming in if the urban populations get big enough, most figure out how to shop around that until then. I know some people that live in downtown Austin, for the most part they hit a large HEB outside of downtown twice a month or so and for everyday needs they stop by Whole Foods downtown.

HskrGrl
4/4/2007, 02:43 PM
The TipTop is a fun place to live. You can't beat having InPlay just a couple floors down. A good friend of mine from high school lives there. Alcohol consumption + a box of chalk = good times when everyone has a chalkboard door. :D

BigRedJed
4/4/2007, 02:43 PM
In OKC, the biggest deterrant currently to a downtown grocery store is not population, it's liquor laws. Downtown leaders have several specialty grocery stores (including Whole Foods) very interested in locating, but they have all said the law banning grocery store sales of wine and strong beer would have to be changed for them to consider it. A petition drive has been underway to get the state legislature to change the law.

And royalfan, I would definitely encourage you to join a professional group of some sort for networking purposes if nothing else. I was a charter member of the OKC Downtown Club (http://www.okcdowntownclub.org), which was started some years back as a young professionals' answer to Rotary, with a very heavy focus on the re-emerging downtown area. I'm no longer an active member, but the contacts I made with the current and future leaders of OKC was pretty invaluable. I still rely heavily on many of those contacts today. Plus, a really impressive group of speakers (http://www.okcdowntownclub.org/speakers.html) has addressed the group on a monthly basis since inception, so you get some excellent insight on issues that affect the community and the state.

If they city you relocate to doesn't have a standalone group like that, join Rotary. In OKC, the downtown chapter of the Rotary club is one of the most active in the nation, very respected, and also draws some amazing speakers. Many of the people in that Rotary club are very much responsible for downtown's rebirth. Downtown Rotary is now so big (and sortof hard to get into) that there is a new chapter exclusive to Bricktown.

C&CDean
4/4/2007, 02:50 PM
You people are ****ing mad.

They don't make enough money to get me to move downtown. Any downtown. Visit? Sure. Hangout and get faced? Sure. Then get me the hell home. Do you know that I've only heard one siren at my house in over 4 years? I cannot hear ANY highway/road noise. I can shoot a high powered rifle from my porch in any direction and not worry about hitting anybody or anything of import. At night, it's so quiet you can hear yourself think.

Of course if I had to choose between the suburbs and downtown I'd have to pick downtown. All the suburbs are is all the hassles of country livin' (mowing grass, commute to town/work, etc.) with none of the benefits (the house I used to live in on the west side in Norman was so close to the neighbor's house I could spit on it from my bedroom window).

Anyhow, if you're young, single, and wanting to hang out at bars and chase taint then downtown is OK. If you're grown up, not so much.

BigRedJed
4/4/2007, 02:58 PM
I disagree.

C&CDean
4/4/2007, 03:01 PM
I disagree.

And it wouldn't be the first time you were wrong.

BigRedJed
4/4/2007, 03:01 PM
Actually, I do agree with part of your post. I don't hate the country. In fact, much as you feel about downtown I feel about the country. Great place to visit, and to hang out. Heck, I've lived in the country, and done all of the hunting, fishing, working, mowing, feeding, and whatnot, so I know the appeal. But most of that stuff I have had my fill of. I'm a city boy.

Buy you and I both agree on one thing: the suburbs are the succ. They are a bastardized version of the American dream, and serve no real purpose. If I wasn't living in the urban city, I would live in the country, no bout adout it.

royalfan5
4/4/2007, 03:03 PM
From my perspective, I won't be able to move out and farm for a few years, so I figure I might as well be able to walk places and not have a lawn to mow. That's why I'm interested in moving to a downtown area.

BigRedJed
4/4/2007, 03:04 PM
I agree.

KC//CRIMSON
4/4/2007, 03:45 PM
Anyhow, if you're young, single, and wanting to hang out at bars and chase taint then downtown is OK. If you're grown up, not so much.

Bingo!

And that "cool" urban downtown living get's old, real quick.

BigRedJed
4/4/2007, 03:50 PM
Which is why nearly all of the condos being built down here are going for somewhere between $300K and $750K. A bunch of kids are buying them.

mdklatt
4/4/2007, 04:00 PM
This one of the buildings I'm looking at
http://www.thetiptoplife.com/

Hi. My name is royalfan5, and I'm an aspiring hipster doofus.

At first your neighbors will think you're cool because you're wearing a John Deere hat. Then they'll find out you're not doing it "ironically" and all bets will be off. :rolleyes:

royalfan5
4/4/2007, 07:48 PM
Hi. My name is royalfan5, and I'm an aspiring hipster doofus.

At first your neighbors will think you're cool because you're wearing a John Deere hat. Then they'll find out you're not doing it "ironically" and all bets will be off. :rolleyes:
I would never wear a John Deere hat, as I am not a fan of there farm equipment. But whatever, hangout in the suburbs and mow your lawn and hang out at your chain bar/grills.

mdklatt
4/4/2007, 10:27 PM
I would never wear a John Deere hat, as I am not a fan of there farm equipment. But whatever, hangout in the suburbs and mow your lawn and hang out at your chain bar/grills.

I think you missed my point.

royalfan5
4/4/2007, 10:33 PM
I think you missed my point.
Location trumps Neighbors for me. And John Deere sucks.

KC//CRIMSON
4/4/2007, 10:58 PM
Location trumps Neighbors for me. And John Deere sucks.

Your neighbors are going to be A LOT closer than his are.....

mdklatt
4/4/2007, 11:19 PM

I live in an apartment....

royalfan5
4/5/2007, 10:42 AM
A crappy neighbor has be better than a crappy roommate. I've had plenty of crappy roommates, so it should be a nice change of pace.

mdklatt
4/5/2007, 10:50 AM
Can we get back to the point?

:les: HIPSTERS SUCK!

royalfan5
4/5/2007, 10:53 AM
Can we get back to the point?

:les: HIPSTERS SUCK!
They don't bother me.