PDA

View Full Version : The Official 2007 Rangers thread

Pages : [1] 2

jk the sooner fan
4/3/2007, 09:20 PM
how many innings before Padilla plunks an Angel tonite?

i say 4

jk the sooner fan
4/3/2007, 09:31 PM
wooooo, first inning, so close to hitting Vlad

colleyvillesooner
4/3/2007, 11:30 PM
more of the same tonight. 16 stranded through 6, 6 by Michael Young.

Who the **** is Matt Kata?

GrapevineSooner
4/4/2007, 12:14 AM
And MY left the bases loaded with a first pitch flyout. :mad:

I'm really trying not to overreact. But why is it that this ballclub is plagued by the same inability to get the big hit year after year? Me thinks Rudy is a tad overrated as a hitting coach.

AllAboutThe'O'
4/4/2007, 02:10 AM
Thanks for starting a new Ranger season thread.
Good news: We have the same record as the defending world champions.
Bad news: We're 0-2. Already two games out of first place.
Better news: At least, at this point anyway, we're not the Nationals.

colleyvillesooner
4/4/2007, 07:40 AM
We are on pace to leave on just over 3000 runners this year. ;)

sanantoniosooner
4/4/2007, 08:31 AM
Rawlings makes a good burger.

GrapevineSooner
4/4/2007, 09:23 AM
Well like Jamey Newberg said:

The Mavs started out 0-4. ;)

GrapevineSooner
4/4/2007, 02:56 PM
And it just keeps getting awesomer today.

GMJ robs Michael Young of a homer and then Brandon McCarthy and the Rangers defense proceeds to give up four runs in the bottom half of the first.

colleyvillesooner
4/4/2007, 02:57 PM
:mad:

Why do I get my hopes up every year. I know it's only been 2 games, but this looks a LOT like last year.

GrapevineSooner
4/4/2007, 03:03 PM

Why do I get my hopes up every year. I know it's only been 2 games, but this looks a LOT like 6 out of the last 7 years.

Fixed. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

SteelClip49
4/4/2007, 03:09 PM
MLB stinks

colleyvillesooner
4/4/2007, 04:00 PM
thanks for dropping by, have some neg.

sanantoniosooner
4/4/2007, 04:01 PM
thanks for dropping by, have some neg.
The spek I gave him was bigger :D

GrapevineSooner
4/4/2007, 05:56 PM
Seems some people at Newberg Report think K-Rod might be up to a little doctoring, courtesy of some substance under the bill of his cap.

You be the judge.

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/8088/krodcheaterep3.png

colleyvillesooner
4/4/2007, 08:49 PM
Dude, if Kenny didn't go down with the amount of tar on his hand, that's nothing.

jk the sooner fan
4/4/2007, 08:50 PM
what a way to start the season, an 0-3 sweep by the team thats picked to win the division

colleyvillesooner
4/4/2007, 09:11 PM
14 hits in 3 games won't do it.

GrapevineSooner
4/4/2007, 11:53 PM
Turning moment of this series may very well have been Hank's at bat in the third inning of Monday's opener. Did a great job to fight back from down 0-2 in the count to run it full, fought off an inside pitch from Lackey that held up just long enough for HGH, I mean GMJ to slide in and make the catch on.

jk the sooner fan
4/5/2007, 06:50 AM
are we mathmatically eliminated yet?

colleyvillesooner
4/5/2007, 07:43 AM
Nope but the Angels magic number 77. :D

SteelClip49
4/5/2007, 09:04 AM
It's ludicrous that MLB has a lot of airtime but the NHL doesn't. I know the NHL and everything is messed up since that lockout but it is back and the NHL is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than any MLB game. Basically, MLB begins and ends in October; only time it ever matters.

SteelClip49
4/5/2007, 09:06 AM
BTW, negative speks can never go my way. I am one SPEKtacular poster and one truthful person.

soonerjoker
4/5/2007, 09:50 AM
did nhl have a lock-out ???

must have locked out the fans. all 359 of them.

colleyvillesooner
4/5/2007, 09:55 AM
Huh, I thought this was a Rangers thread.

jk the sooner fan
4/5/2007, 10:04 AM
maybe after a few more losses, they'll leave and let us have our ranger thread back

joker will be around i'm sure till the end

Scott D
4/5/2007, 10:07 AM
joker will be around for sure. Danks gets his first start this weekend against Minnesota btw.

soonerjoker
4/5/2007, 10:39 AM
yep, i'll be here.

dodgerks finally won a game.

GrapevineSooner
4/5/2007, 11:14 AM
It's ludicrous that MLB has a lot of airtime but the NHL doesn't. I know the NHL and everything is messed up since that lockout but it is back and the NHL is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than any MLB game. Basically, MLB begins and ends in October; only time it ever matters.

Good thing you're a former employee of the OU athletic department.

Otherwise, I'd swear you were a 14 year old puck bunny.

SteelClip49
4/5/2007, 11:47 AM
I take somewhat of what I said back. Being there live is one thing but just watching it on the tube is, well, worth the Nytol experience.

colleyvillesooner
4/17/2007, 10:26 PM
I'd like to go back and predict that Kinsler will be a big time power hitter. :D

Awesome game pitched by Tejada. 7 IP, 3 hits. maybe he can show Padilla a thing or two. ;)

jk the sooner fan
4/17/2007, 10:28 PM
i love that they walked Tex to get to Sammy - and then he jacks one out of the yard into right field

lovvvvvvvvvvvvvved it!!!!!!

colleyvillesooner
4/18/2007, 09:16 PM
Never good to get no-hit. :mad;

Still cool to see.

GrapevineSooner
4/18/2007, 09:43 PM
Congratulations Mark Buehrle.

I think that's the first time since September 30th, 1984 that the Rangers have been no-hit. On that day back in 94, Mike Witt pitched a perfect game.

And I was there in the outfield at Arlington Stadium.

CHECK THAT: David Cone no-hit Texas back in June of 1995.

Scott D
4/20/2007, 01:46 PM
it'd be super if the last two days mean that our bats are starting to wake up...just in time to play the Tigers.

jk the sooner fan
4/20/2007, 01:48 PM
here's my problem with the rangers.............errors....ron washington is supposed to be a fielding guru - and he runs a loose ship...well maybe its time he reigned some of that in because you can be "to loose".......i think the hitting will come

i'd also trade mark texeira the first chance i got

Scott D
4/20/2007, 01:56 PM
I thought this was amusing.

Updates are through Thursday, April 19th

1B: Adrian Gonzalez; 3 HR's. 10 RBI's. .299avg
UTL: Mark DeRosa; 4 HR's, 11 RBI's, .244avg
OF: Gary Matthews; 0 HR's, 2 RBI's, .232avg
OF: Kevin Mench; 1 HR, 6 RBI's, .405avg
OF: Carlos Lee; 5 HR's, 17 RBI's, .296avg
SP: Chris Young; 11K's, 4.30 ERA
SP: Adam Eaton; 1 - 1, 6.62 ERA
SP: Kip Wells; 1-3, 3.12 ERA
SP: John Danks; 0-2, 10 K's, 3.97ERA
RP: Francisco Cordero; 5 saves, 0.00 ERA

This guy is compiling this information every week on the stats of guys who were Rangers last year but not this year.

Too bad the series wasn't 4 games, would have been interesting seeing McCarthy v. Danks.

Beef
4/24/2007, 09:19 AM
Why do the Rangers always throw strikes on 0-2 counts? I went to the game Sunday and saw Tejeda do that repeatedly. One of them ended up parked in the outfield.

GrapevineSooner
4/24/2007, 12:54 PM
I'm more concerned with the fact that Tom Hicks decided he'd rather be at an early season Rangers game than up in Vancouver for a Game 7 that involved his hockey team.

Some owner he is.

Scott D
4/24/2007, 01:58 PM
I'm more concerned with the fact that Tom Hicks decided he'd rather be at an early season Rangers game than up in Vancouver for a Game 7 that involved his hockey team.

Some owner he is.

Well to be fair, I think the owners box was occupied at Anfield by George Gillette so he didn't have much choice in regards to which team is most important to him right now ;)

AllAboutThe'O'
4/25/2007, 06:34 PM
Is it me or am I the only one who hates these short two-game weekday series? They should all be at least three or four games each in my book.

Salt City Sooner
5/1/2007, 10:17 PM
Talk about fitting, considering their year to date, the Yanks Phillip Hughes takes a no-no into the 7th at Arlington, then has to leave with what looked like a hamstring injury. :mad:

GrapevineSooner
5/1/2007, 10:57 PM
Is it me or am I the only one who hates these short two-game weekday series? They should all be at least three or four games each in my book.

Last I checked, this is a three game series against the Yankees.

Or at least my tickets for Thursday night indicate as such.

Beef
5/14/2007, 04:40 PM
The Rangers are the Sean Bradley of Baseball. They suck, have always sucked, and no matter how hard they try, always will suck.

colleyvillesooner
5/14/2007, 04:41 PM
:(

GrapevineSooner
5/14/2007, 05:30 PM
What Beef said.

Except I don't think their owner is putting our maximum effort to put a winner out on the field.

jk the sooner fan
5/14/2007, 06:21 PM
we suck in 3 ways this year

1. hard
2. so hard
3. bad

for once i agreed with something rhyner said on the hardline today - its time to blow this thing up........i'd keep Young and Kinsler and thats about it

colleyvillesooner
5/14/2007, 06:31 PM
we suck in 3 ways this year

1. hard
2. so hard
3. bad

for once i agreed with something rhyner said on the hardline today - its time to blow this thing up........i'd keep Young and Kinsler and thats about it

agreed.

Scott D
5/14/2007, 06:39 PM
haven't the Rangers essentially been blowing it up every 5-6 years since they came into existance?

jk the sooner fan
5/14/2007, 06:48 PM
no, they really havent......they've stuck with a core group of players and added spare pieces here and there

Beef
5/15/2007, 09:37 AM
Hicks won't let them go into full on sucking with youngsters like Detroit did, so he keeps patching things...since we're always one free agent away from winning the division. I agree with blowing things up. And I think it needs to happen at all levels. The pitching coaches aren't getting the job done in the minors.

AllAboutThe'O'
5/15/2007, 07:32 PM
Bring back Doug Melvin. At least he produced teams that went to the playoffs.

GrapevineSooner
5/15/2007, 08:06 PM
no, they really havent......they've stuck with a core group of players and added spare pieces here and there

Spare being the key word. ;)

jk the sooner fan
5/15/2007, 08:22 PM
yeah,i used it intentionally

Beef
5/16/2007, 10:37 AM
I loved the Dallas Morning News trying to spin losing to the D-Rays into a good thing. I don't care if they moved runners and made a couple of clutch pitches. They lost to the friggin D-Rays. And they'll go right back to 3 errors and swinging for the fences today.

jk the sooner fan
5/16/2007, 10:41 AM
i'm really disappointed in the managerial choice.....last year they were playing way above what they're doing now......way too many errors, and putting feldman on the mound last nite after the travels that he had was just stupid....they sent him down for a reason

and john daniels, while quick to pull the trigger on a trade, not afraid to make roster moves.....looking back, he's made quite a few mistakes

hicks ought to fire the whole lot of them and entirely scrap this team

Beef
5/16/2007, 04:38 PM
Danks beats the Yankees. 2 ER in 6.1 to get his ERA down to 4.10. 13 walks and 35 K's for the season.

AllAboutThe'O'
5/17/2007, 12:45 AM
i'm really disappointed in the managerial choice.....last year they were playing way above what they're doing now......way too many errors, and putting feldman on the mound last nite after the travels that he had was just stupid....they sent him down for a reason

and john daniels, while quick to pull the trigger on a trade, not afraid to make roster moves.....looking back, he's made quite a few mistakes

hicks ought to fire the whole lot of them and entirely scrap this team

I blame Daniels more than I blame Wash. What would this team have been like if Buck was still in charge. I think it would have been utter chaos, not like it is already, but there might have been a player revolt, and I kind of liked Buck; thought he got a raw deal getting fired at the end of last season.

But Daniels has already made a few "head-scratching" moves. I know Otsuka's done a solid job for us as closer but we never should have let Chris Young go, he had a lot of upside potential. And, with each passing day, the Carlos Lee trade has become this century's version of Sammy Sosa for Harold Freakin' Baines. Still too early to judge the McCarthy for Danks trade, although McCarthy has started to put together a few quality starts.

Scott D
5/17/2007, 07:55 AM
Danks beats the Yankees. 2 ER in 6.1 to get his ERA down to 4.10. 13 walks and 35 K's for the season.

Danks is starting to look more comfortable out there. When he first started this season he'd let a few bad pitches get to him and it'd turn into a bad inning.

Beef
5/17/2007, 08:51 AM
But Daniels has already made a few "head-scratching" moves. I know Otsuka's done a solid job for us as closer but we never should have let Chris Young go, he had a lot of upside potential. And, with each passing day, the Carlos Lee trade has become this century's version of Sammy Sosa for Harold Freakin' Baines. Still too early to judge the McCarthy for Danks trade, although McCarthy has started to put together a few quality starts.
Please tell me you haven't forgotten how many blown saves Noodlehead Cordero had last April. I don't have a big problem with the Carlos Lee trade. Cordero lost it with the Rangers. He needed a change to right the ship. There are a hundred Menches out there. I wish we would have gotten moe than Nelson Cruz out of it.

My two problems with the Danks-McCarthy trade are they had been hyping Danks as the second coming of Nolan for the last 4 years and they gave up on him before giving him a shot in the bigs. My second problem is trading for a fly-ball pitcher when your home park is Hicks/Bush/Rose Mausoleum of No Breeze For The Fans But Plenty Of Wind To Turn Fly Balls Into Home Runs With Nothing To Do Around It After The Games Ballpark In Arlington. Will the franchise ever learn that as long as they play there, they need to focus on pitchers that throw sinkers or can keep the ball down and lose their infatuation with pitchers that throw high heat?

Paperclip
5/17/2007, 10:21 PM
I was sitting here lamenting my Tigers losing three of four to the Red Sox, but then I turned on the Rays and Rangers and realized it could be a lot worse.

colleyvillesooner
5/17/2007, 10:22 PM

We're gonna lose in extra innings again.

colleyvillesooner
5/17/2007, 11:01 PM
told ya.

jk the sooner fan
5/18/2007, 06:02 AM
swept by the devil rays...........wooot!

Scott D
5/18/2007, 07:08 AM
well it's not like this Tampa team is devoid of talent.

Besides, you join the impressive ranks of the Yankees as teams that got swept by the Devil Rays this season. :)

GrapevineSooner
5/18/2007, 09:37 AM
I'm so glad we replaced the oppresive Buck Showalter with the laid back Ron Washington. ;)

Actually, I'd be more willing to put the heat on Jon Daniels for this mess. But Washy Wash's attitude hasn't translated into a better defense.

jk the sooner fan
5/18/2007, 09:39 AM
i dont think Wash makes the whole season......i really dont, Art Howe is sitting next to him

Paperclip
5/18/2007, 09:55 AM
i dont think Wash makes the whole season......i really dont, Art Howe is sitting next to him

That happens and Jesse and Al will be making flight plans to the Metroplex.

GrapevineSooner
5/18/2007, 12:12 PM
That happens and Jesse and Al will be making flight plans to the Metroplex.

They can fly in all they want.

Their crap won't fly here. ;)

Scott D
5/18/2007, 12:44 PM
Oh it'll fly alright...right over the fence like the gopherballs that Rangers pitching serves up as regularly as McDonald's does hamburgers ;)

Beef
5/18/2007, 01:35 PM
About Fausto Carmona's sinker:

"It's not normal. He's not even human. It was so scary, I thought I was hung over."
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=270517105

Nothing to do with the Rangers, but we might already have the MLB quote of the year.

royalfan5
5/20/2007, 06:50 PM
I just want to point out that the Royal's are only a half game behind the Ranger's for the worst record in the AL.

GrapevineSooner
5/20/2007, 09:45 PM
Yes, we've noticed. ;)

AllAboutThe'O'
5/21/2007, 02:30 PM
I just want to point out that the Royal's are only a half game behind the Ranger's for the worst record in the AL.
Looks like we're trying to make each other better. Royals take 2 of 3 this weekend at Coors; Rangers match it with a strong 2 of 3 showing at Minute Maid Park.

royalfan5
5/21/2007, 02:33 PM
Looks like we're trying to make each other better. Royals take 2 of 3 this weekend at Coors; Rangers match it with a strong 2 of 3 showing at Minute Maid Park.
it's easy to win when you get to play NL teams. The Royals may be the best team in Missouri this year.

colleyvillesooner
5/21/2007, 02:37 PM
easy there... ;)

royalfan5
5/21/2007, 03:53 PM
easy there... ;)
At the very least, we have a better pitching staff than Cards do right now.

Paperclip
5/21/2007, 04:14 PM
At the very least, we have a better pitching staff than Cards do right now.

I enjoyed their pitching this weekend. :)

Scott D
5/21/2007, 04:37 PM
I enjoyed the batting practice they threw this weekend. :)

fixed ;)

Beef
5/22/2007, 09:59 AM
Colby Lewis v. John Danks tonight. The former futures of the Rangers pitching staff going against each other.

jk the sooner fan
5/22/2007, 10:03 AM
if i hear Washington state "i'm a baseball man" one more time, i'm going to scream

ok, we get it, we heard you the first 500 hundred times......its not a pat answer to every question you get

bats are starting to come alive, but we'll see how long they can sustain it

i bought tickets for the redsox game saturday nite - hopefully the weather doesnt crap out on us

Beef
5/22/2007, 10:16 AM
if i hear Washington state "i'm a baseball man" one more time, i'm going to scream

ok, we get it, we heard you the first 500 hundred times......its not a pat answer to every question you get

i bought tickets for the redsox game saturday nite - hopefully the weather doesnt crap out on us
I expect your cheering to drown out the 40,000 Red Sox fans at the game.

jk the sooner fan
5/22/2007, 10:18 AM
oh i will, you can bet on it

royalfan5
5/23/2007, 11:09 PM
I just wanted to note that the Royals passed the Rangers in the overall standings today. It's strange not having the Royals be DFL this time of year.

GrapevineSooner
5/23/2007, 11:27 PM

I'm hoping it doesn't crap out on me Friday night.

And just so you know, Beef, they'll only be about 10,000 of us Sox fans there this weekend. ;)

GrapevineSooner
5/24/2007, 09:53 AM
And BTW JK, Tom Hicks doesn't think you're a passionate enough fan. :mad:

GrapevineSooner
5/26/2007, 01:04 AM
Open letter to the Rangers,

If you're going to hand out vouchers for other games this year for the people who stuck it up through the rain, make damn sure you HAVE enough vouchers to hand out to everybody. :mad:

I went along with my step dad and two step brothers. I only got three.

You do the math.

P.S. Where are my damn dot race coupons? It's one thing to not hand out enough game vouchers. Quite another to forget to hand out any freaking dot race coupons.

Beef
5/26/2007, 07:20 AM
I saw my personal trainer on TV at the game. She didn't look very happy to be there.

GrapevineSooner
5/26/2007, 11:07 AM
Was Knoxy interviewing her? We were in 217 and I looked over and saw him interviewing a pair of fans, including this really hot woman.

In other news, Gerald Laird's wife is extremely hot.

I was about to leash a 'Hey Knoxy, I'm your biggest fan!!'

Beef
5/26/2007, 11:12 AM
Nah. It was shot of her and whoever she was with while they were talking about how great it was that a lot of fans stayed. It was pretty damn funny. They could have found some people more into the game to show while they were talking about that than her.

GrapevineSooner
5/26/2007, 11:22 AM
The FSN Southwest broadcast got archived on MLB.TV.

It was actually an intern sitting in the Fox Box that goes to OU.

jk the sooner fan
5/26/2007, 10:30 PM
what a painful trip to the ballpark.......are there really that many bostonians living in the metroplex, or is it just really trendy to be a bosox fan?

just disgusting to have a 50/50 crowd like there was tonite......we're not as passionate as liverpool soccer fans, nor are we as passionate as red sox fans

the rangers are a hair under pathetic this season

the only sweet thing about tonite was that lexus valet parking.......

GrapevineSooner
5/26/2007, 11:44 PM
You should go to the ballpark when the Yankees are in town, jk. ;)

Seriously, though, I think you're dead on on the passion issue. Red Sox fans and Yankee fans can come to the ballpark, take it over, put their feet up on the furniture, and Rangers fans will quietly submit to it all.

Maybe Hicks was right. I didn't think he should have said what he said about Rangers and Stars fans at the time. But perhaps it's something that needed to be said.

Beef
5/27/2007, 03:17 PM
Tavarez is officially a nut-job. Never seen a pitcher field the ball and then roll it to 1st base.

jk the sooner fan
5/27/2007, 03:21 PM
You should go to the ballpark when the Yankees are in town, jk. ;)

Seriously, though, I think you're dead on on the passion issue. Red Sox fans and Yankee fans can come to the ballpark, take it over, put their feet up on the furniture, and Rangers fans will quietly submit to it all.

Maybe Hicks was right. I didn't think he should have said what he said about Rangers and Stars fans at the time. But perhaps it's something that needed to be said.

i've been there for yankee games....its not nearly as bad as it was last nite, nowhere close

GrapevineSooner
5/27/2007, 10:34 PM
Tavarez is officially a nut-job. Never seen a pitcher field the ball and then roll it to 1st base.

You mean he wasn't when he was punching out telephones? ;)

Beef
5/29/2007, 10:28 AM
Officially in last place!!!! Woo hoo! Time to bring the hot shot pitchers from AA up and see if they're gamers.

jk the sooner fan
5/29/2007, 10:30 AM
"thats just baseball"

no ron, thats just crappy baseball

i am more disgusted with him as a manager everyday

Beef
5/29/2007, 10:34 AM
I think most high school teams in the area are more fundamentally sound than this team. I have no problem with the pitching sucking. As a lifetime fan, thats a given. This throwing to the wrong base and all the errors is disgusting. My drunken softball team makes fewer mistakes than them.

soonerinabilene
5/30/2007, 11:38 AM
anyone else think that if we offered the cubs the same thing we offered the brewers for carlos lee last year, we might have maddux in a rangers uniform?

jk the sooner fan
5/30/2007, 11:52 AM
why would we want another aging pitcher in arlington?

GrapevineSooner
5/30/2007, 12:27 PM
Because Hicks likes aging/former/recently injured superstars for both his hockey and baseball teams.

GrapevineSooner
6/2/2007, 01:27 AM
Rangers set a franchise record with 17, count 'em, 17 runners left on base.

But they still get the win. Which is a minor miracle of late.

With the way their luck was going, it would not have surprised me if Richie Sexson had won the game on a two-out, two-run homer after Ibanez beat out the relay throw from second on the attempted double play.

jk the sooner fan
6/2/2007, 07:26 AM
that catch by lofton was awesome

AllAboutThe'O'
6/4/2007, 03:27 PM
I think it's time to bite the bullet and clean house. I would keep MY, Kinsler and a couple of others and just start fresh. Trade everyone else for prospects, but JD and his scouting department must make sure that they can get the people they want without having to pay a steep price. Also this week's draft may be the most critical in franchise history. No more busts like Drew Meyer, Dan Smith and Donald Harris; they need impact players, preferably a few starting pitchers.

jk the sooner fan
6/4/2007, 03:48 PM
i said this two weeks ago and agreed with you on MY and Kinsler, but i'm not even so sure about Kinsler at this point

Paperclip
6/4/2007, 03:57 PM
I really hope you don't pick this week to start playing well.

jk the sooner fan
6/4/2007, 04:00 PM
oh we're due for another win any day now

GrapevineSooner
6/4/2007, 04:01 PM
I really hope you don't pick this week to start playing well.

What with Tex sulking and the rest of this team just flat out sucking, I don't think you'll have to worry about that. :(

Beef
6/4/2007, 04:02 PM
i said this two weeks ago and agreed with you on MY and Kinsler, but i'm not even so sure about Kinsler at this point
You don't like Benji Gil's reincarnation as a second baseman?

jk the sooner fan
6/4/2007, 04:05 PM
no.......and we complained about the number of errors Soriano made....

Beef
6/4/2007, 04:45 PM
You can't hit .239 AND have 12 errors in 54 games and keep your job. Unless you play for the Rangers.
I just don't get where his crappy D is coming from. He wasn't terrible last year.

colleyvillesooner
Everyone needs to calm down...we hired a baseball man.

jk the sooner fan
Wash seems like a really nice guy but i think he's in WAY over his head

jk the sooner fan
6/4/2007, 04:48 PM
Everyone needs to calm down...we hired a baseball man.

right, dats jus baseball

colleyvillesooner
6/4/2007, 04:51 PM
For the record, I'm offically done with the statement "We hit em hard, we just happened to hit em right at somebody."

Guess what numbnuts? At this point, you're just as out as on a flyball or a strike out.

jk the sooner fan
6/4/2007, 04:52 PM
i've yet to hear a coherent answer to the defensive woes, especially when our manager is a self-proclaimed "infield guru"

GrapevineSooner
6/4/2007, 05:00 PM
C'mon JK.

"That's just baseball" is the standard answer for anything that happens in the Great Game, good or bad. ;)

jk the sooner fan
6/6/2007, 08:09 AM
ok so we win last nite.....but again, our starting pitcher is out before the 5th inning.......i think i can remember one game this year where our starting pitcher went into the 8th inning

thats pathetic

colleyvillesooner
6/6/2007, 08:40 AM
:les:Dat's Baseball!

GrapevineSooner
6/6/2007, 10:40 PM
So Wash, what are your thoughts on getting your *** beat, 10-0, tonight?

Washy: Dat's Baseball!

colleyvillesooner
6/6/2007, 10:45 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=270606113

Millwood allowed nine hits and seven runs in 3 2-3 innings...Since coming off the disabled list last Friday, Millwood has given up 14 runs in 8 2-3 innings.

Wow.

jk the sooner fan
6/6/2007, 10:47 PM
another quality start by our fine ace of the pitching staff!

Scott D
6/6/2007, 11:00 PM
I'd say he's obviously still injured, but he'll deny it until he's blue in the face.

Beef
6/7/2007, 08:41 AM
The Rangers need to make every starter go at least 5 innings or throw 120 pitches unless they're injured. Maybe start saving the pen a little bit. If Millwood's not hurt, he needs to nut up and pitch more than 3 2/3 innings. I wish I could go home at noon everytime I didn't have my A game at work.

Beef
6/7/2007, 08:42 AM
I guess 3 2/3 is more like leaving at 11. Even better.

Beef
6/7/2007, 02:52 PM
So the Rangers take Beavan. I hope he's not as cocky as the papers have made him out to be. Isn't he an OU signee or do I have my local prospects all mixed up?

Beef
6/7/2007, 02:58 PM
From cnnsi:

5. Blake Beavan, Irving (Texas), RHP, 6-7, 215 pounds

2007 stats: 9-2, 0.19 ERA, 139 Ks in 73 IP

Breakdown: A Texas high school pitcher has been selected in the first round every year since 2001, and that trend should continue thanks to Beavan. A member of last summer's U.S. Junior National Team, Beavan shut out Cuba on its own soil in the semifinals of the IBAF World Junior Championship. He was named Baseball America's 2006 Youth Player of the Year and backed it up with a fantastic senior season this spring. Playing in Texas' highest classification, Beavan fanned nearly two batters per inning to earn Gatorade State Player of the Year honors.

Plan B: Oklahoma

colleyvillesooner
6/7/2007, 03:06 PM
Now the Rangers are screwing OU. :mad:

Beef
6/7/2007, 03:07 PM
Now the Rangers are screwing OU. :mad:
This might help get him to Norman. :D

Beef
6/7/2007, 03:35 PM
Rangers next pick is Mike Main.

The number 4 high school prospect according to CNNSI.com

4. Mike Main, DeLand (Fla.), RHP/OF, 6-2, 180 pounds

2007 stats: 12-1, 1.02 ERA, 121 Ks in 82 IP

Breakdown: Main heads a deep second wave of high school prospects likely to be selected in the first round, and he jumps to the top of the list thanks to his two-way potential. Main first made a name for himself on the mound, pitching his U-9, U-10, U-11 and U-14 AAU teams to national titles. He currently boasts one of the best fastballs of any prep player in the class and mixes in a solid changeup and curveball. After missing much of his junior season with tendonitis in his right rotator cuff, Main bounced back this spring to win 12 games to lead DeLand to the Class 6A state finals. He is also a force at the plate, hitting nearly .500 this spring and demonstrating outstanding speed on the bases and in the outfield.

Plan B: Florida State

jk the sooner fan
6/7/2007, 03:45 PM
you know, the problem with pitchers going to college is that they get abused with innings pitched.....whereas the minors wont do that

Beef
6/7/2007, 03:52 PM
you know, the problem with pitchers going to college is that they get abused with innings pitched.....whereas the minors wont do that
Or go straight to the Rangers and they probably won't pitch more than 2 or 3 innings a start.;)

Scott D
6/7/2007, 05:24 PM

it seems to vary. just as many 'can't miss' pitching prospects have arm fatigue issues as those who go to college. The kid the Yankees drafted about 10 years ago that was suppossed to be the next Dwight Gooden comes to mind.

SOONER STEAKER
6/7/2007, 07:30 PM
Joe Dunigan,.drafted by the Seattle Mariners in the 5th Round. That pick is in the $250,000 range. I would imagine he will take the money and leave the program early.

SOONER STEAKER
6/8/2007, 11:24 AM
Sooner signee, P.J. Dean from New Caney HS was drafted in the 7th Rd by the Washington Nationals. Pick #220.

SOONER STEAKER
6/8/2007, 11:26 AM
Heath Taylor, 10th Rd Cleveland Indians, pick #317.

GrapevineSooner
6/8/2007, 11:32 AM
This might help get him to Norman. :D

I might get about 20 negs for this.

But Beaven reminds me so much of Rhett Bomar in terms of cockiness.

The Rangers could use some to be sure.

jk the sooner fan
6/8/2007, 11:40 AM
Wash used the "dats baseball" again during an interview about the stresses of constantly losing

i swear i'm so tired of hearing that phrase

Beef
6/8/2007, 11:41 AM
I might get about 20 negs for this.

But Beaven reminds me so much of Rhett Bomar in terms of cockiness.

The Rangers could use some to be sure.
He definitely has some cockiness which plays out better in the pros than college. Did you see Tom and Josh interviewing him during the game last night? I think he thinks he could strike Jesus Christ out. Or at least Moses.

jk the sooner fan
6/8/2007, 11:44 AM
He definitely has some cockiness which plays out better in the pros than college. Did you see Tom and Josh interviewing him during the game last night? I think he thinks he could strike Jesus Christ out. Or at least Moses.

he might not strike out Jesus, but you know damn well he'd throw him some chin music

colleyvillesooner
6/8/2007, 11:47 AM
In his interview with the Hardline, they asked him about his slider and some had said it was the best in the draft and did he agree. He said "Yeah" and thinks he has the most nasty slider in baseball.

Cocky for sure, but we'll see how he can pitch against the big boys.

SOONER STEAKER
6/8/2007, 12:18 PM
OU football player drafted. LOndell Taylor f Vian HS was drafted by the Detroit Tigers in the 13th Rd.

jk the sooner fan
6/9/2007, 10:16 PM
annnnnnnnnnnnd Coco gives up 4 runs in the bottom of the ninth after 2 outs and a 3-0 lead

nice! :)

a 2 game winning streak :)

GrapevineSooner
6/10/2007, 10:44 AM
He's having a terrific year. And in retrospect, the decision to trade Mench (my wife's little buddy at work by virtue of how much he shopped there during the offseason), Nix, and Coco for a home run hitter that only turned into a rental was a bad trade.

But nights like last night were big reasons why the Rangers elected to give up on him.

colleyvillesooner
6/10/2007, 11:00 PM
And nights like tonight. Another blown save letting the Rangers tie in the 9h.

Beef
6/13/2007, 03:42 PM
I've been doing well in my baseball gambling by taking the over in Rangers games lately. Might skip tonight, even though it's only 8.

colleyvillesooner
6/14/2007, 10:08 PM
Helloooooo quality start. I've missed you.

Cam Loe goes 8 shutout innings giving up only 5 hits, and Aki shuts er down.

Beef
6/15/2007, 01:32 PM
Kam pitched great. He could be good if he ever got ahead of hitters consistently like he did last night.

Over under for tonight is 10.5. I'm putting $10 on the over.

AllAboutThe'O'
6/16/2007, 12:10 AM
Two in a row by the red, white and blue. Another perfect save chance converted by Gagne (enjoy it now while we can) and Sammy hits number 599, a grand slam no less. Anyone want to bet that he's going to hit the big 600 when the Cubs come calling in a few days?

colleyvillesooner
6/16/2007, 02:44 AM
Hopefully Wed. when I am going.

Anyone else going and want to meet up for a beer?

Beef
6/16/2007, 02:17 PM
Might have to hit one of the Cubs games.

Beef
6/16/2007, 02:23 PM
Looks like I'm going Wednesday.

colleyvillesooner
6/17/2007, 10:45 PM
Ditto. Sec 20, Row 20, seats 3 and 4.

GrapevineSooner
6/18/2007, 10:22 AM
Hopefully Tuesday. ;)

I'll be somewheres in the Club Box.

soonerinabilene
6/18/2007, 04:31 PM
So, according to espn, Tex is on the trading block, most likely to the yankees. I dont like it,cuz i dont think we will get enough back for him, but what does everyone else think?

GrapevineSooner
6/18/2007, 04:54 PM
Funny thing is, they were discussing Jon Daniels on the Musers this morning on the Ticket here in Dallas. In particular, it was other baseball execs opinion of him.

They seem to think that he's so gunshy after the Adam Eaton and Carlos Lee deals that his asking price for Tex will be too high for anyone to seriously consider.

Which is odd because I thought he hit the ground running in the off season of 2005-06 by putting the Rangers right in the Josh Beckett sweepstakes before the Marlins used his offer to sweeten the deal with the Red Sox.

Beef
6/18/2007, 04:58 PM
They seem to think that he's so gunshy after the Adam Eaton and Carlos Lee deals that his asking price for Tex will be too high for anyone to seriously consider.
I was thinking Daniels could at least get a 5th inning relief specialist and a backup catcher for Tex. We'll see, though.

Scott D
6/18/2007, 06:24 PM
I was thinking Daniels could at least get a 5th inning relief specialist and a backup catcher for Tex. We'll see, though.

oh come on, he should be able to get a stainless steel two slice toaster included.

Beef
6/19/2007, 11:13 AM
oh come on, he should be able to get a stainless steel two slice toaster included.
Maybe that's why they're giving him a 1 year extension.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2909052

colleyvillesooner
6/19/2007, 11:38 AM
huh

Scott D
6/19/2007, 11:48 AM
I wonder, with as thin as Hicks is stretching himself as an owner, if that might be a good thing for the Rangers.

GrapevineSooner
6/20/2007, 12:06 AM
You know, I always thought that the most visiting fans any opponent could attract to the Ballpark was either the Red Sox or Yankees.

I might be wrong after tonight's game against the Cubbies.

At least the Cubs fan with the thick CHHHHHIIIIICAAAAAHHHHHHGOOOOO accent was very entertaining. A Cards fan was sitting a few rows in front constantly reminding him who won the title last year and who hasn't won one in 99 years.

colleyvillesooner
6/20/2007, 01:52 PM
What was traffic like last night?

Trying to decide when to leave from Addison.

jk the sooner fan
6/20/2007, 01:57 PM
i wouldnt leave any later than 5-5:15

the normal commute traffic will be bad enough on 360, on top of the game traffic

colleyvillesooner
6/20/2007, 02:02 PM
i wouldnt leave any later than 5-5:15

the normal commute traffic will be bad enough on 360, on top of the game traffic

Really? Even taking George Bush the whole way to 183?

I have a parking pass that lets me park about 100 yards from my entrance.

jk the sooner fan
6/20/2007, 02:08 PM
you'll sit at the Bush to 183 interchange for 10-15 minutes

colleyvillesooner
6/20/2007, 02:17 PM

GrapevineSooner
6/20/2007, 02:18 PM
We hit a slowdown because of the traffic merge at 183 on 360. But once we got past that, it was a breeze. We left Grapevine at about 6:50.

On the way back home was another story, but that was because of the popular work convey narrowing things down to one lane about a mile south of the 183 interchange on northbound 360.

colleyvillesooner
6/20/2007, 03:34 PM
I don't think that we'll be able to leave before 6, so I'll let you guys know what happened.

Beef
6/20/2007, 04:05 PM
I'm allegedly in section 27. We'll see, though.

Took the over at 10.5 runs and the Rangers +114. I'm 1-0 at games this year. Hopefully, I will remain undefeated.

colleyvillesooner
6/20/2007, 04:08 PM
Well, if you're feeling daring, stop by Sec 20, Row 20 Seats 3,4.

I'll let you buy me a beer. D

jk the sooner fan
6/20/2007, 09:50 PM
you guys picked a helluva nite to go to the ballpark

congrats Sammy - 600 homeruns!!!!!!!!!

colleyvillesooner
6/20/2007, 10:24 PM
It was awesome! I not to root for a guy who most likely cheated, but that was a once in a lifetime experience kind of thing. Flash bulbs at every swing.

I got video of the 3rd to home trot on my phone, I'll post as soon as I can get it off my phone...

colleyvillesooner
6/20/2007, 10:59 PM
Click here to watch Sammy-hits-600 (http://media.putfile.com/Sammy-hits-600)

colleyvillesooner
6/21/2007, 07:38 AM
Oh and I made it from my door in Farmers Branch to the ticket taker in 50 mins leaving at 6:00. I took the Rochelle exit just before the 183 nightmare on 161. If you stay straight on the frontage road, it wraps around to the 183 access road. Then I took the Amon Carter exit, went left at the light, and a right when it dead ends (Trinity). You're right back to 360, but missed all the 183/360 merge traffic.

Oh and Grapevine, you were right, Cub fans are annoying. One guy near us went with the classy move of holding up a "Go for Four" Spurs poster when Soriano homered.

Beef
6/21/2007, 08:56 AM
I saw a bunch of Cub fans talking **** to everyone around them after the Soriano HR. I f I had been closer, I would have reminded them that they were getting spanked by the worst team in baseball and couldn't hit a pitcher with a 6.34 ERA.

Sammy's at bats were amazing. Very cliche, but there was an electric feeling every time he came to bat, and the HR was just plain cool. Just a great night. Sammy's HR, a win, and free tacos for scoring in the 5th inning. Yay tacos.

Beef
6/24/2007, 08:50 AM
This thread has gone silent with nothing to bitch about for 4 games.;)

AllAboutThe'O'
6/24/2007, 05:01 PM
What is it that they say about winning?

jk the sooner fan
6/24/2007, 05:03 PM

way to jinx the win streak! ;)

Beef
6/24/2007, 05:33 PM
What is it that they say about winning?
Beats the hell out of losing?:P

GrapevineSooner
6/25/2007, 12:00 AM
Well, Disastro fans aren't nearly as annoying as Cubs fans. :D

Went to tonight's game. But because we brought the little one, it was basically up to her when we left.

And we left at 10:00 right before the real drama of the night unfolded. :mad:

Oh well, at least I didn't stay until 11:30 to see the Rangers bullpen blow it.

And speaking of blow, that's what Robinson Tejeda does these days.

Beef
6/26/2007, 09:50 AM
Another great game by Kam. Is it normal for a team's minor league affiliates to have better pitching coaches than the major league team's?

colleyvillesooner
6/26/2007, 10:12 AM
Yeah, he's been solid for 3 in a row.

They've won 8 out of their last 11.

Helloooo third to last place! :D

GrapevineSooner
6/26/2007, 11:03 AM
Better news, Ranger fans.

I don't have any tickets to any more games until August!

Rangers are 0-5 this year when I'm present within the confines of The Temple.

Not that I'm complaining about all five of the losses since two of the five were at the hands of the Red Sox. ;)

Beef
6/26/2007, 11:06 AM
I'm 2-0. I should quit going while I'm ahead.

colleyvillesooner
6/26/2007, 11:10 AM
I've been to 1 game and saw a "W" and Sosa hit his 600th.

I'm gonna stop while I'm ahead. D

jk the sooner fan
6/26/2007, 09:36 PM
nice win by our stRangers tonite

you know our resident detroit fans are hating every bit of this

way to go Marlon Byrd!!!!!!

Scott D
6/26/2007, 10:00 PM
you mean all one of them (Paperclip)?

Beef
6/29/2007, 03:25 PM
I can't wait to see the Rangers fans drown out the Red Sox fans tonight. Oh wait.They can't even do that in Arlington. :mad:

GrapevineSooner
6/29/2007, 03:58 PM
I can't wait to see the Rangers fans drown out the opposing fans tonight. Oh wait.They can't even do that in Arlington.

Fixed, considering they couldn't drown out Astro fans or Cubs fans last week.

If you're a fan of any visiting team and you live here in the Metroplex, by all means come out to the Ballpark.

jk the sooner fan
7/1/2007, 04:32 PM
wow, 2 in a row against the mighty bosox.........kam loe looks like a pitcher all of the sudden

an otsuka and gagme look tradeable

royalfan5
7/1/2007, 04:56 PM
I watched the O-Royals and the Redhawks today at Rosenblatt. Eric Hurley through a real nice game with good stuff, but if I were you guys I would worry about his tendency to heel-bang, Jason Botts crushed some balls as well. No one else really stood out to me.

jk the sooner fan
7/1/2007, 05:01 PM
heel-bang?

royalfan5
7/1/2007, 05:06 PM
heel-bang?
If the pitcher lands on the heel of his front foot it's called heel banging. Some organizations let pitchers do it, some don't. The draw back of heel-banging is some command issues, and it stress your arm a lot more than landing on the front of your foot. Two of the most notorious heel-bangers in the game are Mark Prior, and Kerry Wood as examples of that.

jk the sooner fan
7/1/2007, 05:07 PM
ahhh, thanks - never heard that term before

royalfan5
7/1/2007, 05:14 PM
ahhh, thanks - never heard that term before
Pitching Mechanics have been a hot topic on the Royals boards I frequent since we hired a new pitching advisor and the draft. Bill Fischer, who we got from the Braves to be an instructor has 4 laws, the first of which is no heel-banging. Gil Meche has been a lot better since he was broken of heel banging.

GrapevineSooner
7/1/2007, 11:22 PM
Trading Otsuka might make sense.

Trading Gagne at this point would be idiotic since good closers are so hard to find. And if he wants to stay here and turn the team around, keep him.

The Rangers need more guys in the clubhouse like Gagne.

AllAboutThe'O'
7/2/2007, 01:25 AM
Trading Otsuka might make sense.

Trading Gagne at this point would be idiotic since good closers are so hard to find. And if he wants to stay here and turn the team around, keep him.

The Rangers need more guys in the clubhouse like Gagne.

I think Gagne's been a very pleasant surprise for us.

But we have two strikes against us:
One, he's on a one-year contract and two, he's a Boras client. With the way he's been pitching this year, he's turned into a very valuable trading chip. As much as I hate to lose him, I think it would be better if we sent him to a pennant contender for a top-of-the-line prospect.

GrapevineSooner
7/5/2007, 11:59 AM
Going for the sweep of the Halos tonight.

Which if they complete it, means that in three consecutive series against the leaders of the AL Central, AL East, and AL West, the Rangers will have gone 7-3.

Hope for the future, or just a flash in the pan?

jk the sooner fan
7/5/2007, 12:03 PM
flash in the pan, but an enjoyable one at that

the temple was pretty packed last nite

Beef
7/5/2007, 01:27 PM
How about letting Kinsler learn some outfield in OKC and let Hairston be the full-time 2B?

jk the sooner fan
7/5/2007, 04:26 PM
if we were to scrap the team, via firesale

i'd keep CJ Wilson - i just think he's going to be really good in the future, and he's pretty damn good right now

im not a big GMJ fan, but i dont remember any center fielder ever covering that area as well as he does.......he showed his range again last nite

AllAboutThe'O'
7/5/2007, 08:04 PM
I'm glad to see us doing well these days, but I'm not getting too caught up in a "winning vibe."
Part of that is one month from now, the team is going to look drastically different if we do go ahead with that much-talked-about fire sale. Also, we dug too much of a hole in the first 2 1/2 months of the season that, even if we play .700 ball the rest of the way, it wouldn't be enough to win the division or even steal the wildcard berth. It's like we're playing as if all the pressure in the world is off and know that our fate is still sealed but we're just going to have fun and play. We had a winning road trip through Detroit and Boston, we've won at least two games in each of our last six series, yet we're still 12 games under .500 and 15 games out of first place.
But again, don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see us playing well instead of totally throwing in the towel. I just hope we keep it going the rest of the way, fire sale or no fire sale.

AllAboutThe'O'
7/12/2007, 06:36 PM
Gee, is it a coincidence that we've been playing well ever since Tex got injured?

Bye, Tex, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/story/166658.html

GrapevineSooner
7/12/2007, 07:59 PM
Actually, I appreciate his honesty.

He's right on the money with this quote.

"We're a big-market team that's playing like a small-market team," Tex said. "I know this is a business, but when the Yankees go get All-Stars every year and the Red Sox (http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/story/166658.html#) go out and get All-Stars every year, it shows you they want to compete and win."

The Rangers' payroll ranks 21st, despite being a large market. It's also easily the lowest in the AL West. To expect them to have a payroll equal to that of the Yankees or the Red Sox would be horribly unrealistic.

To expect it to be higher than the notoriously frugal Oakland A's is not.

Of course, this isn't just about the payroll. It seems Tom Hicks isn't really sure what he wants to do with this team. He says he wants to win, but goes half *** with the financial committment to turn them into a winner.

Which scuttles any plans to go with anything resembling a youth movement. If only he had kept Doug Melvin.

Beef
7/13/2007, 09:06 AM
I think Hicks will be willing to spend money to keep good young players (which we have almost none left), but he's out on big free agents. At least I hope that's his plan rather than not spend money period.

bluedogok
7/13/2007, 09:36 PM
Hicks financial commitment is subsidizing the Yankees for the A-Rod contract. That 21st in payroll doesn't include that. I think he is afraid of paying for free agents after that and Park's ridiculous contract. I would like to see him keep some of the home grown talent.

I am just glad the Red Sox are doing well, they are my #1 and the Rangers my #2. I miss the power the Rangers had when I lived in Dallas in 91-93, they have never had pitching worth anything but the power was fun to watch. Now it is just painful to watch them at times.

garland sooner
7/18/2007, 03:01 PM
If only he had kept Doug Melvin.

I agree with you. Look at Milwaukee. Where were they before Melvin took them over? Where are they now? Hicks loves to fiddle and it's killing me watching what he's done since Melvin left.

soonerinabilene
7/26/2007, 11:46 AM
5 in a row. Not too bad.

jk the sooner fan
7/26/2007, 11:51 AM
nice sweep of the M's

love it

cant wait to see where Tex ends up and who we get for him....would be nice if they can trade Gagne for something and then resign him in the offseason

garland sooner
7/26/2007, 02:36 PM
Gagne: 3 games in 2 days. That's amazing. I'd love to keep watching him. I'd love it even more if we do trade him and get him back.

btw, it seems as if rumors are spreading that Atlanta is getting Tex.

AllAboutThe'O'
7/26/2007, 05:32 PM
Gagne: 3 games in 2 days. That's amazing. I'd love to keep watching him. I'd love it even more if we do trade him and get him back.

btw, it seems as if rumors are spreading that Atlanta is getting Tex.

If I'm JD and if it is true about who we'll get from the Braves for Tex, I would make that deal in a heartbeat.

Scott D
7/26/2007, 06:39 PM
which prospect, Jarrod Saltalamacchia or Elvis Andrus?

jk the sooner fan
7/26/2007, 07:11 PM
Saltalamacchia is who i'm reading........

Scott D
7/26/2007, 08:04 PM
yeah he's the one primarily named, but the Atlanta Constitution-Journal seems to think that they might ask for the other guy who happens to be a shortstop. The main sticking point seems to be the Rangers wanting a top pitching prospect that the Braves don't want to give up.

jk the sooner fan
7/26/2007, 08:05 PM
hopefully the dodgers enter the fray

i saw one rumor that had the angels sending ervin santana and their young first basemen here for tex........i'd do that deal in a heartbeat just for santana

AllAboutThe'O'
7/26/2007, 08:48 PM
which prospect, Jarrod Saltalamacchia or Elvis Andrus?
Apparently both, plus a pitching prospect, perhaps Jo Jo Reyes (love that name).
I'd rather deal with the Braves or Dodgers IMHO than someone in our own division or even in our own league.

Scott D
7/26/2007, 09:29 PM
Apparently both, plus a pitching prospect, perhaps Jo Jo Reyes (love that name).
I'd rather deal with the Braves or Dodgers IMHO than someone in our own division or even in our own league.

Sounds like the Braves don't want to part with Reyes, even if the Rangers included Gagne in the deal.

colleyvillesooner
7/27/2007, 11:08 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7065740

Braves make tempting offer to Rangers
Ken Rosenthal / FOXSports.com
Posted: 1 hour ago

The game is now, "Can you top this?"

The Braves, major-league sources say, have made the Rangers a whopper of an offer for first baseman Mark Teixeira.

The Rangers evidently would receive three highly regarded young players — catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Class AA left-hander Matt Harrison and Class A shortstop Elvis Andrus — while sending the Braves only Teixeira.

At a time when teams are reluctant to trade inexpensive prospects for high-priced veterans, such a deal would be a coup for Rangers general manager Jon Daniels.

If he can beat the Braves' 3-for-1 proposal, more power to him.

The Dodgers, facing injury concerns in their starting rotation, are likely to focus solely on pitching.

The Angels have submitted a substantial two-player offer for Teixeira, according to an industry source, but are reluctant to go further.

First baseman Casey Kotchman almost certainly is part of the Angels' proposal. The other player likely is a pitcher, possibly Class AAA right-hander Ervin Santana.

Kotchman and Santana are more established than any of the players the Braves are offering. However, Kotchman's upside might not be as high as the switch-hitting Saltalamacchia's. Santana's value, meanwhile, has diminished considerably, in part because of his 7.16 ERA in 36 career road starts.

Even if the Angels swapped out another pitcher for Santana — left-hander Joe Saunders perhaps, or Class AA right-hander Nick Adenhart — their offer might not be as strong as the Braves'.

The Dodgers are the wild card, but the questionable state of their rotation could take them out of the Teixeira sweepstakes.

Right-hander Derek Lowe left Wednesday night's game due to a groin injury, and right-hander Brad Penny left Thursday night's game due to an abdominal cramp.

Neither injury is expected to be serious, but left-hander Randy Wolf has yet to return from a shoulder impingement, and righty Jason Schmidt and lefty Hong-Chih Kuo are out for the season.

jk the sooner fan
7/27/2007, 12:56 PM
Kenny Lofton traded to Cleveland for 23 year old catcher, Max Ramirez

jk the sooner fan
7/27/2007, 01:11 PM
and we'll get to see Nellie Cruz again.....he's been really hot since he went to AAA......will be probably his last chance to prove he can stick around

Scott D
7/27/2007, 01:38 PM
wonder where Cleveland plans to put Lofton. Sizemore is the CF there now, and Michaels is a quality LF.

jk the sooner fan
7/27/2007, 01:41 PM
the article i read said in one of the corners, i would assume RF

Scott D
7/27/2007, 02:12 PM
hmm, wonder if they would move Michaels to right....Lofton's arm has gotten kinda weak.

royalfan5
7/27/2007, 07:08 PM
Three game spot with the Royals coming up. I like our chances tonight with Bannister on the hill.

royalfan5
7/27/2007, 07:34 PM
Also, just so you know, Billy Butler is one of the best pure hitters to ever come through the Royals system.

hookem31
7/28/2007, 06:54 PM
Kenny Lofton traded to Cleveland for 23 year old catcher, Max Ramirez

This should speed up Taylor Teagarden's rise to the show. The DMN reported that Ramirez will go to Bakersfield, and since TT's been tearing it up (top ten in 5 categories), he could see Frisco before the end of the year.

jk the sooner fan
7/28/2007, 07:34 PM
yeah i read that in the DMN this morning

there was a rumor that Laird was on the trading block, no idea who they'd replace him with, because Melhuse is not an everyday catcher

hookem31
7/28/2007, 09:01 PM
Haven't heard that one and considering the Braves trade talk hasn't involved a catcher, I don't see how we could get rid of him.

I was curious yesterday, after I'd heard about the Lofton trade and checked on TT's numbers. They did jump out at me. But I was confused as to why he'd been DHing. The DMN cleared that up and I just don't see him being ready for quite some time.

If they're keeping him on a short leash, because of the injury, it will slow his progress after he gets to Frisco. But considering our track record, when it comes to bringing prospects along, I can deal with it.

jk the sooner fan
7/28/2007, 09:25 PM
he DH's because of an arm injury

the Laird trade rumor involved another team

royalfan5
7/29/2007, 05:31 PM
That was a great series guys.

GrapevineSooner
7/29/2007, 07:06 PM
No, it wasn't. :mad:

hookem31
7/29/2007, 08:51 PM
That was a great series guys.

Yeah well, we're still better than Tampa Bay.

Scott D
7/30/2007, 12:05 AM
Sounds like as of right now Daniels may be getting too greedy in what he wants back for Texieria and may end up with nothing to show for it.

garland sooner
7/30/2007, 09:58 AM
maybe. but all this trade talk is kinda exciting. we're probably going to get one or two good to really good pitchers. (that's what I hope anyway.)

jk the sooner fan
7/30/2007, 10:22 AM
daniels is smart not to bite on the first offer....now arizona joined the fray and one of those teams might offer something a little better

if tex isnt traded this year, we still have him around for another season

Beef
7/30/2007, 10:56 AM
A buddy of mine told me Tex was traded to Atlanta but no links yet. Says he heard it on the Ticket.

colleyvillesooner
7/30/2007, 10:59 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7074846

Tex and Mahay for Saltalamacchia, Class A shortstop Elvis Andrus, and two pitching prospects.

The Braves are on the verge of acquiring Rangers first baseman Mark Teixeira.

The deal is done, pending a review of the medical records of the players involved, according to major-league sources.

The Braves will receive Teixeira and left-handed reliever Ron Mahay.

The Rangers will receive catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Class A shortstop Elvis Andrus and two pitching prospects.

One of the prospects is believed to be Class AA left-hander Matt Harrison.

The Rangers had been split on whether they wanted Harrison, in part because he recently experienced shoulder trouble.

However, Harrison underwent an MRI that revealed no damage, and the Rangers evidently are willing to take him despite their concerns.

The addition of Teixeira, 27, would dramatically transform the Braves' lineup, giving them a second switch-hitter with power to join third baseman Chipper Jones.

The Braves rank fifth in the National League in runs scored, but their on-base/slugging percentage at first base is the worst in the majors.

Teixeira, who does not become a free agent until after next season, also would give the Braves lineup protection against the likely departure of center fielder Andruw Jones as a free agent this off-season.

The Angels also made a strong bid for Teixeira, offering first baseman Casey Kotchman and left-hander Joe Saunders. They were willing to include a third player, but not at the level the Rangers were seeking, sources said.
advertisement
STORY TOOLS:

print
send
blog
RSS LIKE THIS STORY?

The Diamondbacks and Dodgers also had been interested in Teixeira, but neither was willing to trump the Braves' proposal.

Saltalamacchia, 22, is perhaps the single best player the Rangers were offered, a switch-hitting catcher with power who offers more upside than Kotchman.

The Braves were reluctant to part with "Salty," who also can play first base. But they would have no place to play him if they had Teixeria through '08; catcher Brian McCann is signed through 2012 with a club option for '13.

Teixeira is earning $9 million this season, and his salary could rise to $12 million next season in his final year of arbitration.

It is almost certain he would not sign a contract extension before becoming a free agent; his agent, Scott Boras, prefers his clients' values to be determined on the open market.

However, Teixeira attended Georgia Tech in Atlanta and might be open to signing with the Braves long-term.

Beef
7/30/2007, 11:08 AM
I hope Matt Harrison doesn't turn into another Justin Thompson.

jk the sooner fan
7/30/2007, 11:38 AM
you know, i realize this is a trade for the future, but i dont see us as any better a team than we were yesterday

which isnt saying much

colleyvillesooner
7/30/2007, 11:56 AM
yeah, but we got something for him, and more than we would have next year, since he could walk at the end of that year. Atlanta at least gets him guaranteed for 1.5 years.

Like Norm said today, I think you'll see alot of Salty, Byrd, Botts and Cruz the rest of this year, and that's fine with me.

jk the sooner fan
7/30/2007, 12:27 PM
i'd be happy to see Botts get some at bats for the rest of the year

is Salty ready for the bigs?

garland sooner
7/30/2007, 12:31 PM
To my knowledge, he's been playing most of the year.

colleyvillesooner
7/30/2007, 02:07 PM
He's played in 47 games. Looks like he catches about every 3rd-4th game, then occasionally started 6-7 in a row:

AB: 141
R: 11
H: 40
2B: 6
HR: 4
BB: 10
SO: 28
RBI: 12
AVG: .284
OBP: .333
SLG: .411

jk the sooner fan
7/30/2007, 02:12 PM
well, he'll have every opportunity to prove he's worth it!

Scott D
7/30/2007, 03:52 PM
It was funny, yesterday on a baseball show on espn radio a guy asked if the Braves were so high on "Salty" why they'd trade him so readily. It was put back to the caller that for the Braves to be willing to deal "Salty" it meant two things. 1. They weren't completely sold on trying to convert him to a 1B, and 2. Catcher is a position of depth within the entire organization...also it doesn't hurt that their current starter who is young also is a 2 time all star.

jk the sooner fan
7/31/2007, 12:18 PM
so......who gets Gagne today?

GrapevineSooner
7/31/2007, 12:50 PM
If he has to go somewhere, I'd rather he go to the Red Sox with Delcarmen coming to Texas.

colleyvillesooner
7/31/2007, 01:15 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/07/31/gagne.redsox/index.html

Done: Gagne to the Red-Sox, pending he waives his no trade clause.

he Boston Red Sox and Texas Rangers have agreed in principle to a trade involving Eric Gagne, and the Red Sox are now negotiating with the former Cy Young winner to get him to accept the trade.

The Rangers are set to receive prospects in the deal. Boston is not on Gagne's approved list of 12 teams he can be traded to.

After missing much of the past two years with injuries, Gagne has returned to form this season with a 16 saves in 17 chances and a 2.16 ERA.