PDA

View Full Version : The Official 2007 Rangers thread

Pages : 1 [2]

jk the sooner fan
7/31/2007, 01:19 PM
wonder who the prospects will be......

colleyvillesooner
7/31/2007, 01:20 PM
Also, Jermaine Dye is rumored to be going to Boston to, has to waive his clause as well.

Edit: Deal is Dead.

Beef
7/31/2007, 01:30 PM
Is Gagne going to wave the no trade? I thought he was pretty adamant about closing. Or is Papelbon injured?

colleyvillesooner
7/31/2007, 01:46 PM
wonder who the prospects will be......

Starting Pitcher Kason Gabbard
(http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7821)

and

Outfielder David Murphy (http://www.soxprospects.com/players/murphy-david.htm)

Gabbered starting pitching in late June. He went 4-0 in 7 starts.

jk the sooner fan
7/31/2007, 01:47 PM
dear mr gagne, please sign the waiver

the rangers will get kason gabbard, a lefty starting pitcher, which would be a really good thing

jk the sooner fan
7/31/2007, 01:48 PM
thats a pretty sweet deal

even sweeter if after this season gagne decided to come back for a long term deal, which is a real possibility

colleyvillesooner
7/31/2007, 01:52 PM
thats a pretty sweet deal

even sweeter if after this season gagne decided to come back for a long term deal, which is a real possibility

That's what I was thinking. If he wanted to stay, he makes the team better by leaving, and could come back with a Ring.

colleyvillesooner
7/31/2007, 02:38 PM
Looks like the Rangers would get Engel Beltre (http://www.soxprospects.com/players/beltre-engel.htm) as well.

colleyvillesooner
7/31/2007, 02:47 PM
Tex deal is final (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2954457)

The Braves sent Saltalamacchia, slick-fielding shortstop Elvis Andrus and three more minor league pitchers -- right-hander Neftali Feliz, left-hander Matt Harrison and left-hander Beau Jones -- to Texas.

colleyvillesooner
7/31/2007, 03:10 PM
Tom Hicks says Tex turned down 8 year, $140M deal two weeks ago.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/080107dnsporanglede.ccc962c5.html

Hicks: Teixeira rejected $140 million offer

CLEVELAND – The Rangers did not let Mark Teixeira go to Atlanta without a fight, owner Tom Hicks said Tuesday as the seven-player deal with the Braves was completed.

Hicks confirmed the Rangers made Teixeira an official long-term contract proposal more than two weeks ago in a last-ditch effort to keep him. The proposal would have kept Teixeira in Texas for eight more seasons at a total for approximately $140 million. The deal would have included a mutually agreed figure for Teixeira's last year of salary arbitration in 2008 and another seven years worth $18 million per season.

Teixeira was making $9 million this season, the second year of a two-year deal with the Rangers. He is eligible for arbitration next season and is expected to receive between $12 million and $14 million per season.

"I've always loved Tex as a player," Hicks said Tuesday by phone from California. "I was personally involved in signing him and I wanted him to be a face of this organization, along with Michael Young, for the long term.

"I thought we made enough of an offer to keep him a Ranger for life. I'm disappointed he turned it down, but I think we did everything we could to keep him. Now, we've got some very good young players coming here and I feel with some good moves and free-agent signings, we can be a championship team."

Hicks said he met with Teixeira's agent Scott Boras two weeks ago when the club was in Anaheim and extended a formal offer within 48 hours of the meeting. The reply: Teixeira was not prepared to make a long-term commitment at the moment.

Only a week before the meeting, Teixeira had claimed the Rangers had never approached him about an extension. He reiterated that stance after the club left Anaheim and traveled to Oakland. A Rangers source, however, said the club had made "overtures" to Teixeira on at least three occasions.

On Tuesday, as Teixeira hastily checked out of the Rangers hotel in Cleveland to try and make a flight to Atlanta, he declined to comment on anything Rangers related. Asked if an extension proposal had ever been brought up to him, Teixeira said:

"I'm not talking about any of that. I'm an Atlanta Brave. That's done. I'm very happy. That's it."

In exchange for Teixeira and lefty Ron Mahay, the Rangers got catcher-first baseman Jarrod Saltalamacchia and four minor leaguers. Rangers medical officials had no issues with an MRI on left-hander Matt Harrison's shoulder and he was included along with 19-year-old right-hander Neftali Feliz and 18-year-old shortstop Elvis Andrus. Also, the Rangers will receive 20-year-old left-hander Beau Jones. Jones has split the season between low Class A Rome and high Class A Myrtle Beach.

Saltalamacchia, Andrus and Harrison were ranked as the Braves' top three prospects by Baseball America in its preseason prospect handbook. All three were also among the top 100 overall prospects in the minors. The Rangers had only one prospect, Eric Hurley, in the top 100.

Beef
7/31/2007, 03:24 PM
Looks like it would have been a good trade if they had just gotten a broken starter that pitched half a season and left and an 8th inning reliever. Adios, Tex.

GrapevineSooner
7/31/2007, 08:11 PM
Kason Gabbard's gonna be a good one, I believe. Kind of sad to see him go outta Boston.

But at least they held onto Lester and Ellsbury.

AllAboutThe'O'
8/1/2007, 06:34 PM
The Salty era begins in Texas with a bang. Two-run single in his first at-bat as a Ranger.

The most memorable debut by a Ranger off the top of my head was Gabe Kapler, who homered twice on Opening Day back in 2000. Unfortunately, that turned out to be the high point of his career as a Ranger. Hopefully, Salty will have a better long-term career with the Rangers than Kapler did.

Scott D
8/1/2007, 08:47 PM
bwahahahahaha Gabe Kapler.

Wary Tiger fans are already comparing Cameron Maybin to him because of the hype.

AllAboutThe'O'
8/1/2007, 10:12 PM
And we're 2-0 since the end of the trade deadline.

I say it all comes down to addition by subtraction.

colleyvillesooner
8/1/2007, 10:34 PM
Saw Tex had a 3 Run HR and 4 RBI's in his debut. Looks like everyone is happy after 1 in the books. :D

jk the sooner fan
8/1/2007, 10:35 PM
well we know that Salty never see's a pitch he wont swing at! :)

nice win tonite!

AllAboutThe'O'
8/1/2007, 11:56 PM
Saw Tex had a 3 Run HR and 4 RBI's in his debut. Looks like everyone is happy after 1 in the books. :D
Hope it stays that way, at least on the Rangers' end.

AllAboutThe'O'
8/6/2007, 11:21 PM
Let history record that the first ejection of Ron Washington, a.k.a. the Tony Dungy of MLB managers, occurred in the bottom of the 11th inning of a game that the Rangers fell behind early on 7-0, only to send it into extra innings on Michael Young's game-tying homer in the 9th. Ironically, Washington was thrown out seconds after Young got tossed arguing a called third strike (which didn't look like a strike to me IMHO).

AllAboutThe'O'
8/7/2007, 12:21 AM
And that's that, we fall in the 13th. Losing skid continues.

Beef
8/7/2007, 08:57 PM
I was wondering who the **** brings a fishnet to catch balls in the outfield. Then I realized I went to high school with the guy in the red shirt that got hit in the chest by Byrd's homerun that fishnet dude caught. Funny stuff.

GrapevineSooner
8/7/2007, 11:05 PM
(which didn't look like a strike to me IMHO).

That pitch wasn't even close.

Washy Wash was right to go bananas.

GrapevineSooner
8/7/2007, 11:07 PM
In other news, you can officially affix the asterisk next to you know who.

Beef
8/8/2007, 08:54 AM
I'm ready for the B*nds crap to go away.

jk the sooner fan
8/8/2007, 09:01 AM
in other news, Kason Gabbard gets his first win, hooray....he sure seemed able to get the first 2 outs of an inning rather easily, it was that third out that he had a tough time with

Scott D
8/8/2007, 12:53 PM

oh the asterisk has been affixed to Sosa's 600 for a looooong time ;)

GrapevineSooner
8/9/2007, 12:53 PM
Funny thing is I felt the same level of excitement over Barry's 756th that I did over Sammy's 600th.

Which was next to nothing.

Scott D
8/9/2007, 01:02 PM
Funny thing is I felt the same level of excitement over Barry's 756th that I did over Sammy's 600th.

Which was next to nothing.

which was ironically how I felt about Alex's 500th.

royalfan5
8/14/2007, 08:24 PM
Another fun series coming up. Hopefully the Royals can have another strong series.

Scott D
8/14/2007, 08:53 PM
Another fun series coming up. Hopefully the Royals can get swept in series.

;)

AllAboutThe'O'
8/14/2007, 11:45 PM
Another fun series coming up. Hopefully the Royals can have another strong series.
Nah, we just want payback for what happened at "The K" a couple of weeks ago. Rangers take the first game.

jk the sooner fan
8/19/2007, 08:14 PM
is it safe to say that based on Tex's performance since he landed in atlanta, that he wasnt giving 100% the last year or so in texas?

Scott D
8/19/2007, 08:56 PM
is it safe to say that based on Tex's performance since he landed in atlanta, that he wasnt giving 100% the last year or so in texas?

can't say it wouldn't be a surprise. However, he did move to a league that is more prone to throwing fastballs than curveballs.

jk the sooner fan
8/22/2007, 07:05 PM
24-3 after 8 in baltimore

wow........longest 8th inning ever

jk the sooner fan
8/22/2007, 07:25 PM
holy crap, 30-3

colleyvillesooner
8/22/2007, 07:46 PM
Holy crap doesn't begin to explain it.

$10 says we score 3 or less in this game ;)

Beef
8/22/2007, 08:18 PM
I'm glad I took the Rangers -26.5. That was fun. I think you'll end up being right, cvs.

jk the sooner fan
8/22/2007, 08:30 PM
top of the 2d and we have 3 runs

colleyvillesooner
8/23/2007, 01:58 PM
heh, they scored 9 and rallied to win. :D

AllAboutThe'O'
8/23/2007, 05:10 PM
Here's my story from the beatdown:
I'm driving back from a brief vacation, so I put the game on the XM. During the sixth inning, I switch to hear part of the PTI replay on the ESPNews channel. I turn it back to the game and see where we already have 10 runs, and I had switched off that channel probably no more than five minutes.
Along the way, I stop and get some ice cream and get back into the car just in time to hear us score the first run in the eighth. And we kept scoring. Right after Metcalf's grand slam, I call a co-worker and tell him the score. I had my radio turned down while I was talking to him and I glance over to the radio receiver and see where we scored FOUR more runs in the eighth. I immediately told him, "Grammatica just kicked a field goal and the Cowboys are up on the Ravens, 24-3."
And then I listen to the six-run ninth on the homestretch of the trip and I repeat listening to that inning. I finally pull into my driveway just in time for the first few pitches of the second game, still in disbelief that we had just scored 30 runs in the previous game and had to turn around and play again. Then we score nine more times before the day's over.
A good trip back home that I'll never forget.

Beef
8/30/2007, 02:55 PM
Just to be clear. After a year of mostly positive experience, in which I had decided to become an Elite Sponsor, won a World Series, I started the Hollis Board, I had a 46,000 spek rating based on real spek not betting over two season and 1500 posts, in the last four weeks I can see this board is a place I don't want to be or patronize. I'm tired of seeing that ****, day in and day out. And I don't want to spend a miserable September seeing the same ****. If I have to see the same ****, I told , 'Bring somebody up. **** it.' If it's my fault, I should be moving out of here then. If it's my fault, ****ing fire my *** and I'll be fine. I have the job to do, and I get paid a lot of ****ing money to make this club work, but it's not easy to work with people like that. It's not easy.'

Ozzie Guillen
Manager
Chicago White Sox

Beef
9/10/2007, 11:27 AM
Is .500 gonna happen?

Beef
9/11/2007, 01:46 PM
I think the Rangers really like the first games of doubleheaders. 10-0 in the 5th.

jk the sooner fan
9/11/2007, 02:11 PM
can we hang 31 on them?

Scott D
9/11/2007, 02:15 PM
lucky for you guys zumaya hurt himself last night.

Paperclip
9/11/2007, 03:11 PM
ugh.

Beef
9/20/2007, 11:34 AM
Can they go ahead and cut Padilla? He is so damn worthless. Or at least let fans throw at him like the little bitch throws at everyone else.