PDA

View Full Version : Painting knowledgeable people

royalfan5
4/3/2007, 11:52 AM
So I am considering taking up painting as a hobby. What are the basic first steps I should take towards starting this hobby? TIA

Frozen Sooner
4/3/2007, 11:56 AM
Light the picasso-signal!

sanantoniosooner
4/3/2007, 12:00 PM
cut off your ear.

mdklatt
4/3/2007, 12:09 PM
The first thing you're going to need is a beret.

royalfan5
4/3/2007, 12:17 PM
The first thing you're going to need is a beret.
I'm not really a hat person.

proud gonzo
4/3/2007, 12:20 PM
buy some paint, brushes, cheap canvas (they make canvas boards--they're basically cardboard covered with canvas. they're pretty cheap and good for practice.) and start painting. Seriously, just see what you can do on your own without any instruction first. it's fun.

after that, though, there are a lot of books you can get that show step by step how to paint. if you see one of those books and you like the style and want to learn it, they're pretty good just for starters.

I started painting (with more than just crayola watercolors) when i was about 8. I watched Bob Ross's The Joy of Painting. My parents bought me all the stuff that he used and I just started doing what he said and trying to imitate him until i figured out what worked for me and what didn't. I'm not a great painter (nowhere near as good as Pic) but most of what i've learned was just trial and error. Probably not the most efficient way, but i enjoy it.

if you have any specific questions feel free to ask. like i said, i'm not as good a painter as Picasso, but I could probably help out with the basics.

royalfan5
4/3/2007, 12:22 PM
My interests is not so much in painting things .e.g a house, etc. but shapes and patterns right now. Does that make a difference?

Mjcpr
4/3/2007, 12:25 PM
My interests is not so much in painting things .e.g a house, etc. but shapes and patterns right now. Does that make a difference?

Not to me.

sanantoniosooner
4/3/2007, 12:27 PM
You do know that houses have shapes right?

Mjcpr
4/3/2007, 12:28 PM
1TC's has lots of shapes.....a rectangle, four circles, etc.

royalfan5
4/3/2007, 12:33 PM
You do know that houses have shapes right?
The point was that I don't want to paint objects that recongizable as something.

proud gonzo
4/3/2007, 12:35 PM
then it sounds like you should get some paint, brushes, and canvas. ;)

Mjcpr
4/3/2007, 12:37 PM
The point was that I don't want to paint objects that recongizable as something.
Then you need to be talking to Howzit.

royalfan5
4/3/2007, 12:37 PM
then it sounds like you should get some paint, brushes, and canvas. ;)
I will probably have to wait till I move do to space considerations.

mdklatt
4/3/2007, 12:40 PM
I will probably have to wait till I move

Well duh. It's pretty silly to be doing any painting if you're going to be moving soon.

sanantoniosooner
4/3/2007, 12:40 PM
unrecognizable paintings are a good place to start.

Mjcpr
4/3/2007, 12:41 PM
I will probably have to wait till I move do to space considerations.

You could rent one of those storage units. Does anyone know if they have them in 1' X 1' ?

soonerboomer93
4/3/2007, 01:02 PM

then ask advise from a young neice/nephew

(yes, that was mean, no I couldn't resist, although childrens paintings are some of the best in my mind)

sanantoniosooner
4/3/2007, 01:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ4g1dLEL-Q

toast
4/3/2007, 01:05 PM
it's all about the hair:

http://starfields.org/images/news/bob-ross-tv.jpg

Howzit
4/3/2007, 01:07 PM
I paint my weenis to look like a Dune Sandworm sometimes.

So, maybe you should read Dune first.

Your welcome.

Hamhock
4/3/2007, 02:00 PM
I paint my weenis to look like a Dune Sandworm sometimes.

So, maybe you should read Dune first.

Your welcome.

n/m

using the innerweb is hard

Suerreal
4/3/2007, 02:13 PM
Check for community college classes. They can help you figure out the difference between inexpensive and cheap brushes, paints, and supplies, and teach you basic principles of color, perspective, and brush strokes.

Good Luck!

- Sue

Mixer!
4/3/2007, 03:11 PM
Ask Sherwin Williams?

Howzit
4/3/2007, 03:18 PM
And don't forget the roller.

sanantoniosooner
4/3/2007, 06:05 PM
Ask Sherwin Williams?
Wash your mouth out.

royalfan5
1/27/2008, 09:22 PM
so I'm finally getting around to this. anyway, where is a good place to buy art supplies of the innerweb?

1stTimeCaller
1/27/2008, 09:26 PM
I doubt they sell paint over the internet. or paint brushes.

proud gonzo
1/27/2008, 10:01 PM
so I'm finally getting around to this. anyway, where is a good place to buy art supplies of the innerweb?why would you want to buy stuff on the innerweb when you can drive to a hobby lobby or a michaels, not pay shiping, and have the stuff immediately instead of waiting? plus you can see the actual colors of the paint you're buying, and see how the brushes feel.

royalfan5
1/27/2008, 10:03 PM
why would you want to buy stuff on the innerweb when you can drive to a hobby lobby or a michaels, not pay shiping, and have the stuff immediately instead of waiting? plus you can see the actual colors of the paint you're buying, and see how the brushes feel.because I hate going to retail stores.

sooner_born_1960
1/27/2008, 10:11 PM
Oddly enough, www.artsupples.com

GottaHavePride
1/27/2008, 11:22 PM
I'm betting you meant www.artsupplies.com

GottaHavePride
1/27/2008, 11:22 PM
Wow. Oddly enough, both those links work, and lead to entirely different sites.

Jimminy Crimson
1/27/2008, 11:33 PM
because I hate going to retail stores.

Just go to Hobby Lobby.

Look out for their weekly specials.

http://www.hobbylobby.com/site3/weekly/specials/specials-big.cfm

Also, they have a coupon you can print out and use for any item not on sale.

http://www.hobbylobby.com/site3/weekly/coupon.cfm

royalfan5
1/27/2008, 11:39 PM
Just go to Hobby Lobby.

Look out for their weekly specials.

http://www.hobbylobby.com/site3/weekly/specials/specials-big.cfm

Also, they have a coupon you can print out and use for any item not on sale.

http://www.hobbylobby.com/site3/weekly/coupon.cfm
I suppose I could do that.

Ash
1/27/2008, 11:41 PM
Don't get caught up in buying all the colors they sell in tubes.

With the three primary colors and white, a little instruction (can be found in print), and some practice, you'll be able to mix any color you need. Save some bucks, and you're cooler if you do it this way.

proud gonzo
1/27/2008, 11:59 PM
and you can waste a lot of time, too

Ash
1/28/2008, 12:02 AM
Hey, if you want to buy some tube of a prepackaged color that you'll probably want to alter anyway, cool. Or, you can learn a few simple rules, have fun experimenting with the rules and get the color you wanted.

proud gonzo
1/28/2008, 12:10 AM
i figure i'm going to end up using the same quantity of paint no matter what, so i might as well buy all the colors i want and save a crapload of time. that way I can spend more time painting and less time fiddling around.

Ash
1/28/2008, 12:15 AM
i figure i'm going to end up using the same quantity of paint no matter what, so i might as well buy all the colors i want and save a crapload of time. that way I can spend more time painting and less time fiddling around.

That's cool. I enjoyed "mixing" on the canvas for a while by applying washes of different colors to get the tone I wanted (oils). The effect was sometimes really cool, the colors had "depth" and changed slightly under different light. Lots of fun to experiment that way.

Jimminy Crimson
1/28/2008, 12:37 AM
I suppose I could do that.

Since you're starting out, it'd be a good way to build up a little bit every week. Looks like this week the brush sets are on sale as well as the tubes of paint. Next week might be canvases, etc...

Plus, you're supporting a solid Oklahoma company. (And ORU ;))

yermom
1/28/2008, 01:55 AM
out.

yermom
1/28/2008, 01:57 AM
on the Hobby Lobby/ORU part ;)

i might actually like painting if i didn't hate my Art teachers in school

i thought i hated Science until i got out elementary school with the teacher that taught Art AND Science

i was never as good as Howzit though

royalfan5
1/28/2008, 10:35 AM
on the Hobby Lobby/ORU part ;)

i might actually like painting if i didn't hate my Art teachers in school

i thought i hated Science until i got out elementary school with the teacher that taught Art AND Science

i was never as good as Howzit though
I hated my art teacher in Junior High and never really gave it a second thought til recently. Hell, I might actually have some talent as my mom is a very good artist. I guess I'll find out.