PDA

View Full Version : 357mph passenger train

Okla-homey
4/3/2007, 09:11 AM
In France.

We have airplanes though, so no need to rush out and soup-up AMTRAK.;)

Frankly, hauling that many folks, that fast, on the ground is gonna make for an ugly mess someday when some cheese-eatin' surrender monkey's Renault breaks down on the tracks at a railroad crossing and 3000 Frenchies get smooshed and smoked in a single high-speed trainwreck.

French train hits new world speed record

Apr 3 07:53 AM US/Eastern

France's TGV fast train set a new world speed record on rails Tuesday, hitting 574.8 kilometres per hour (357.2 miles per hour) on a specially prepared stretch of track east of Paris, according to official monitors.
The record -- easily beating the 515.3 kph set by a TGV (Traine a Grande Vitesse) in 1990 -- was made by an experimental version equipped with two supercharged locomotives and extra-large wheels.

However the TGV narrowly missed the overall world train speed record of 581 kph (360.8 mph) reached in 2003 by a Japanese magnetic levitation, or Maglev, train.

Manufacturer Alstom arranged the exploit to test its latest engineering designs in extreme conditions, and also to display the TGV's technological prowess to clients in a growing world market.

Facing stiff competition from German and Japanese rivals, Alstom is angling for future bids from Argentina, China and Italy, as well as from the US state of California.

bluedogok
4/3/2007, 10:11 AM
There was a TGV planned in the early 90's here in Texas connecting DFW-Houston-San Antonio in a Texas triangle. The Texas based airlines (American, Continental and Southwest) killed it.

I would rather take a fast train than fly since you waste so many hours at the airport it makes the travel time the same.

Viking Kitten
4/3/2007, 10:14 AM
There was a TGV planned in the early 90's here in Texas connecting DFW-Houston-San Antonio in a Texas triangle. The Texas based airlines (American, Continental and Southwest) killed it.

So they killed that, than went back to squabbling amongst themselves over the stupid Wright Amendment? :rolleyes:

yermom
4/3/2007, 10:20 AM

I would rather take a fast train than fly since you waste so many hours at the airport it makes the travel time the same.

dude, a 300MPH train would be awesome

if they are as roomy as AmTrak i'd choose that over flying any day

royalfan5
4/3/2007, 10:23 AM
I would be so in for high speed trains.

bluedogok
4/3/2007, 11:14 AM
So they killed that, than went back to squabbling amongst themselves over the stupid Wright Amendment? :rolleyes:
Pretty much......

DalHorn
4/3/2007, 11:24 AM
The greed of oil and the airlines is coming back to haunt Texas' transportation system. Dallas and especially Austin traffic make it hard to live more than 5 miles from work. I-35 is a joke between the cities. I would seriously welcome a high speed train linking Dallas/Austin/SA/Houston. And definitely more trains around Dallas.

Jimminy Crimson
4/3/2007, 05:25 PM
I think we need something like that between OKC and Tulsa.

Jerk
4/3/2007, 06:04 PM
I think we need something like that between OKC and Tulsa.

Yes! Please!! OH GOD, MAKE IT HAPPEN! AMEN!

Oh, and for you Texans traveling thru Tulsa on you're way back home... Going on the Turnpike (I-44) is not the best way to get to Dallas. You're better of taking US Hwy 75 south. YWIA.

KC//CRIMSON
4/3/2007, 06:16 PM
I would ride that train in France in a heartbeat.